• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pemprokeshire Coast Path Wales

Carolyn G

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
May 2019
(Future - CP September 2020)
Hi - Have you walked the Pemprokeshire Coast Path in Wales? How would you compare it to the Camino Frances in terms of difficulty? All input appreciated.
Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Depends what you class as difficult. Terrain is coastal & cliff path more comparable to the Norte and exposed to Atlantic weather systems that could make Galicia seem arid and windless. Accommodation difficult to find outside the major touristic resorts and comparatively expensive. Food and drink opportunities also much sparser and considerably more expensive. No Yellow arrows, though you will find little Acorn symbols attached to gateways posts and stiles or at least the screw-holes left after someone souvenired the original plaque.

Also the locals speak Welsh, "una cerveza por favor" will get you no-where. ;)

No Yellow arrows, though you will find little Acorn symbols attached to gateways posts and stiles or at least the screw-holes left after someone souvenired the original plaque.
But being a coast path just keeping the water on the same side all the time should make navigation fairly simple...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Caroline. The Pembrokeshire walk is beautiful. If you’ve seen the television series “Poldark”, that’s what it looks like - incredibly green, magnificent cliff walks looking down on the sea, farms, hills, light woods. There’s plenty of steepish slopes but no big deal, and generally the paths are very good underfoot. You’d have to try hard to get lost. You would need to be prepared for wind and rain. All of the overnight stops are delightful (we used B&Bs, uniformally excellent). I can’t recall any en route cafes but each of our B&Bs provided a packed lunch.
Pembrokeshire wasn’t like any of the Caminos I’ve walked: it has its distinctive character and atmosphere. I thought it was a wonderful experience.
Regards,
Wes

Hi - Have you walked the Pemprokeshire Coast Path in Wales? How would you compare it to the Camino Frances in terms of difficulty? All input appreciated.
Thanks
Hi c, I walked the PEmbrokshire, Ceredigion and the Jurassic coastal paths in my 30s. They were absolutely stunning! I camped and carried about 25kilos. At times, due to the steep accents, I was down to about 1mph. I think.... every 200 miles equates to an everest. It's by no means, to difficult for a reasonably fit person. Along the Pembroke path, small buses run between the coastal villages and towns. I could stay at a campsite and use the shuttle for a few days and then move up the coast. I also did a fair bit of wild camping and never encountered.... one irate farmer. Not as many pit stops....as say, the Camino France's, plentiful enough for the odd pint along with fish and chips. It's typical British weather, typically unpredictable! Their is a national guide, which covers most things! I had planned... to walk the whole of the Welsh coastal path, this summer. Starting in the north. My push bike, unseated me and put paid to that wee adventure.😥 I'll try for next summer. If you go ahead, you'll be blessed with sublime vistas! O aye, the Welsh are helpful,direct and down to earth. Enjoy. Wild

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Caroline. The Pembrokeshire walk is beautiful. If you’ve seen the television series “Poldark”, that’s what it looks like - incredibly green, magnificent cliff walks looking down on the sea, farms, hills, light woods. There’s plenty of steepish slopes but no big deal, and generally the paths are very good underfoot. You’d have to try hard to get lost. You would need to be prepared for wind and rain. All of the overnight stops are delightful (we used B&Bs, uniformally excellent). I can’t recall any en route cafes but each of our B&Bs provided a packed lunch.
Pembrokeshire wasn’t like any of the Caminos I’ve walked: it has its distinctive character and atmosphere. I thought it was a wonderful experience.
Regards,
Wes

Thank you! I knew I could count on Camino pals for great input! Did you walk the entire route?

Thank you! I knew I could count on Camino pals for great input! Did you walk the entire route?
I walked from Milford Haven to Dale more or less across country, and then from Dale to St Davids along the coast. There was only seven or eight days en route walking involved, none I think more than five hours long. However, I took twelve days total, staying at some places for two nights and making side-walks. For example, just past Dale, you can clamber down the coastal cliff onto the beach where Henry Tudor landed with his army before defeating Richard III at Bosworth. Terrific climb, great spot. There's other places where you can go down cliffs onto sweeping beaches for long walks. I also stayed an extra night at Marloes, having walked there along the coast from Dale - four or so hours - so that the next day I could walk back to Dale across the peninsula, about a two-hour return trip. There's a few exceptional excursions available, too. A small boat trip from St Davids to Ramsey Island to see Gannets diving vertically into the sea to catch fish was thrilling, not to be missed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.