Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Pension Lindamar, Embalse de Alcantara

isabelle304

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPP-Santiago) (Oct-Nov 08)
Santiago to Finisterre (Nov 08)
Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres (Sevilla-Santiago via Ourense) (Oct-Nov 09)
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) (Sep-Oct 14)
If it is not open, I recommend the Embalse de Alcantara albergue turistico which is part of the ALBA group (and which is very close to where Lindamar used to be). It´s not visible from the road/camino but well signed. Price in October 2009 was 15€ (that included breakfast) which would be a bit expensive for a normal pilgrim albergue - but you do get bedlinen there and they wash your clothes for free. There are 4 beds per room, a spacious dining room and a lovely view over the reservoir. They can sell you frozen ready meals/pizzas which you then heat up in the oven. Definitely a good halt and relaxing place to chill out for anyone who cannot quite walk a further 10kms to Cañaveral. During the quiet season, there is a phone number on the door to call if there is nobody there when you turn up (the hospitalera lives just 2mins walk away and only opens up the place if someone needs to stay there); between March and October they are automatically open every day.

Architecture of the building (quite brutalist) not to everyone's taste though.... (as you can see from the photos on their website http://www.embalsedealcantara.com

Isabelle

A

AJ

It was closed in April 2008, but the Albergue Isabelle talks about was open and there was only me and one other pilgrim. Sounds like it may have changed hands since I was there. I enjoyed it very much: the view is excellent.

I've now heard from the Pension (which is run by Sharon & Stephen): they say, "We are open as from 1st March for both tourists and pilgrims." They go on to say, "Price for a [twin-bedded] room is 44€ for 2 people incl breakfast. Deposit not necessary but please let us know if you think you will be arriving after 5pm as there will be alot of passing trade and in case of no show by this time your room could be let out to another client. All rooms are en-suite with shower and toilet. We have a restaurant that does set meals 3 times per day 6-8.30am - breakfast (included in room price). 1-3pm menu of the day (8.50€ 2 courses) and evening meal 8pm 12€ 3 courses including table wine/water or juices. Bar meals are also available throughout the day from 11am - 11pm. Hotel is on banks of Alcantara, Spain's oldest reservoir with 2 river systems flowing into it. Fishing/birdwatching holidays are very popular here. I'm sure we can arrange for your rucksacks to be taken to Carnaveral and dropped off at hostal Malaga. It is our local village so if we aren't going for things for the hotel im sure someone will be."

Martin

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks, Martin. I had written to them, too, and thought I'd add a little more information about the range of accommodations they described to me:

Rooms vary from double bed for single or double occupancy to double room (2x single beds) triple room (3x single beds) to room of bunks to sleep up to 9 people. Prices are from 10€ per night for bunk bed room to 44€ euros a night for single occupancy in double bed room (incl breakfast) twin room 20€ per night per person incl breakfast.

Meals are served at 6-8.30 breakfast; 1-3 p.m. menu of the day (2 courses) and 8pm evening meal (3 courses plus bread/salad and incl table wine/water/juice); separate meals are available from bar from 11am - 11pm; snacks (ie toasted sandwiches/chips) are available throughout the day.

Hotel has 8 bedrooms, bar, restaurant area, pool and patio area.

By the way, when are you starting out? I'm planning to leave from Sevilla on May 2. Yikes, getting closer to the start date!

Laurie

Laurie,

Thanks to you for that! My wife and I leave Seville on 3rd April - even more frighteningly near! All encouragement/tips welcome, from Forum members!

Martin

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Camino(s) past & future
?
Hi!

Don't mess around with Pension Lindamar. Sometimes it's open, sometimes it's not.

Bank on the albergue and you won't be disapointed. First class accommodation at an unbeatable price. Priceless view and quietness to boot. Free washing done by the hospitalera and clean bed sheets.

Mark my word!

Jean-Marc
P-S. Take a lot of water and a bite to eat. It's a long and difficult stretch from Caceres, especially the last part along the Caretera National.
Halfway, look out for a big boulder, on the right hand side of the camino, worn out over time by sheep sheltering from the sun. Amazing!!!!

RE The Lindamar...3 of us stayed there last May ( the turismo was full with a school Party) and it was fine. Starting out on the Via de la Plata on the 10th May and hope to be able to stay in the Turismo this time.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, everyone, the albergue vs. Lindamar saga continues. I was there three days ago for a long break and this is my take on the whole thing.

What used to be the Lindamar was sold in January to a British guy who plans to keep the place open year round under the new name of Hotel Lakeview. He is a very nice guy, but seemed a bit overwhelmed by the very negative campaign that the Albergue has waged against him.

As you are walking on the Vdlp, after Casar de Casares, you suddenly leave the beautiful off-road stretch and hit the asphalt of the N-630. You have 5 km on asphalt, from km marker 525 to km marker 520. When you arrive at the Lindamar/Lakeview, you are ready for a break. The LakeView is not directly on the water, but is shady and welcoming. The albergue turistico (in the same "chain" as Fuente de Cantos, Zafra, Torremegia, Almanzara) is another 600 m down a dirt road and it is directly on the water.

So, here you are in the middle of nowhere on the Embalse de Alcántara with two possible places to stay. I can't imagine that both can survive, and the Albergue Turístico seems to have resorted to some not-so-nice tactics to kill the Lake View.

Both places are clean and comfortable. The Albergue does not serve meals (just frozen pizza, I was told), so many people who stay there on the water's edge go up to the LakeView for dinner. The problem is that the Albergue does its best to make sure that the LakeView doesn't know about the peregrinos coming up for dinner. One pilgrim from Austria who stayed in the albergue told me that the hospitalero said he didn't have the LakeView phone number and so he couldn't call up and make a reservation for him. The guy at LakeView tells me that he has given the albergue his phone number many times, but frequently people just show up from the albergue for dinner and he doesn't have food enough to feed them.

Based on what the Austrian said, it seems that the LakeView is winning the war for pilgrim beds, because it's right there on the camino itself and when you're tired, why walk another 600 m? On the other hand, the Austrian said, there is no doubt that the view is much better from the Albergue and he said the service was top notch. But the night the Austrian was there, there were two sleeping in the albergue and 15 or so in the LakeView

So, what I see happening here is a fight for survival, with one of the competitors resorting to nasty and underhanded tactics (like pulling down the LakeView signs). I don't think that both of them can make it at the same spot, unfortunately. Laurie

Marga58

I have read all the conversation about Lindamar here on the forum, so last week passing the area I decided to see for myself and causiously just entered Lindamar or Lakeview asking for a snack and some coffee.

What Laurie wrote is mostly correct. The new owner, an English guy told me they changed the name of the hotel and that they were eager welcoming pelgrims.

I then asked him to show the rooms and now I understand why some mentioned Lakeview is a rather filthy place to stay. With all respect to others opinions, the rooms were visibly dirty and damp. I can imagine that many of pelgrims don´t mind sleeping in dirty beds. I am not one of them.

After running a camping in Belgium for 4 years, I understand that the place may be basic, but never dirty. This is just disrespectful to the guests.

So after leaving Lakeview I then stayed at Albergue, and it was a much prettier experience. Clean accommodations and a nice setting. Just a value for your money and a respectful approach.

So my conclusion is: both places are suitable for pelgrims, both owners are welcoming pelgrims. Both are wonderfully situated and quiet. Hygienically is Lakeview totally below the minimum requirements for hotel industry, and as a woman I have my basic requirements. Most men would not mind I guess.. So it is up to you..

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, everyone, the albergue vs. Lindamar saga continues. I was there three days ago for a long break and this is my take on the whole thing.

What used to be the Lindamar was sold in January to a British guy who plans to keep the place open year round under the new name of Hotel Lakeview. He is a very nice guy, but seemed a bit overwhelmed by the very negative campaign that the Albergue has waged against him.

As you are walking on the Vdlp, after Casar de Casares, you suddenly leave the beautiful off-road stretch and hit the asphalt of the N-630. You have 5 km on asphalt, from km marker 525 to km marker 520. When you arrive at the Lindamar/Lakeview, you are ready for a break. The LakeView is not directly on the water, but is shady and welcoming. The albergue turistico (in the same "chain" as Fuente de Cantos, Zafra, Torremegia, Almanzara) is another 600 m down a dirt road and it is directly on the water.

So, here you are in the middle of nowhere on the Embalse de Alcántara with two possible places to stay. I can't imagine that both can survive, and the Albergue Turístico seems to have resorted to some not-so-nice tactics to kill the Lake View.

Both places are clean and comfortable. The Albergue does not serve meals (just frozen pizza, I was told), so many people who stay there on the water's edge go up to the LakeView for dinner. The problem is that the Albergue does its best to make sure that the LakeView doesn't know about the peregrinos coming up for dinner. One pilgrim from Austria who stayed in the albergue told me that the hospitalero said he didn't have the LakeView phone number and so he couldn't call up and make a reservation for him. The guy at LakeView tells me that he has given the albergue his phone number many times, but frequently people just show up from the albergue for dinner and he doesn't have food enough to feed them.

Based on what the Austrian said, it seems that the LakeView is winning the war for pilgrim beds, because it's right there on the camino itself and when you're tired, why walk another 600 m? On the other hand, the Austrian said, there is no doubt that the view is much better from the Albergue and he said the service was top notch. But the night the Austrian was there, there were two sleeping in the albergue and 15 or so in the LakeView

So, what I see happening here is a fight for survival, with one of the competitors resorting to nasty and underhanded tactics (like pulling down the LakeView signs). I don't think that both of them can make it at the same spot, unfortunately. Laurie

robventures

Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona-SdC (1995), Pamplona-SdC (2002), LePuy-? (2005), Roncesvalles-SdC (2009), Sevilla-SdC (2012), Sevilla-Verin via Portugal (2013), Oporto-SdC coastal (2013)
As of a couple of days ago, the Lindamar/LakeView was closed with a "se vende" sign on the gate.

The albergue is still going strong, €15 with free laundry and breakfast, killer views, bright and airy inside, and surprisingly attractive for concrete brutalist architecture. (Armour-plated windows also make it *the* place to wait out the zombie apocalypse.)

Food is a little more extensive than frozen pizza, although not much. They'll add a tin of tuna and some olives to a bag of salad, or heat up a tin of lentil+chorizo stew, that kind of thing. About as much as can be expected when one guy is running everything.

They alao have WiFi.

LTfit

Veteran Member
For a concrete and glass structure it is quite beautiful. I wasn't yet open when we stopped by last July for a well earned rest. We made the mistake of walking another 10 km to Cañaveral. Although the town was okay the municipal "auberge" was awful and I am not picky! Two small dirty bedrooms with a couple of beds...very strange. But luckily this was an exception.

tavares

Hello Pilgrims;

I'm nieuw hier, but i have one question, i'm interesting to open LINDAMAR, what your idea about this?
I gonna try to make LINDAMAR special way for the people who walk the route de la plata.

Greats
Álvaro Tavares

doversole

doversole
Camino(s) past & future
I am trying to find out whether the Lindamar is open or closed at the moment and whether there
are any plans afoot to reopen it in the future if it is in fact closed. If anyone has any up to date information from 2012 I would be really pleased to know.

peregrina2000

Staff member
This is strange. I know for a fact that a Dutch couple sold/rented/transferred this place to a British guy, who changed the name to Lakeview. When I passed by in May of 2010, he was running a bar/albergue but the albergue was going poorly and he was complaining of bad treatment by the albergue turistico up the road a bit. (There are some posts from prior years about this).

I remembered that some people who walked after I did found it totally closed, here are some posts from 2011:

camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic10753.html
live-from-the-camino/topic10454.html

Alan, who most recently walked the Vdlp, reported the albergue at Alcantara closed when he passed by: live-from-the-camino/topic10454.html -- the only thing I'm not sure of is whether he is referring to the "albergue turistico" (not visible from the camino, a few hundred meters up a road to the water) or the Lakeview/Lindamar which was right on the road.

Since falcon has found a website in Dutch, it might mean that the Dutch couple is back in charge and maybe planning to reopen??
Buen camino, Laurie

peregrino_tom

Camino(s) past & future
It's going back in time, but in October 2010 the touristica was open and we stopped for a coffee, which was slightly surreal as the place felt like a mixture of hip city bar and sci-fi planetary location. Half expected people with white beards and flowing robes to appear and attempt to exert a patriarchal intelligence upon us. The Pensione was closed up.
But I'm really writing because I spotted another post from May this year against the albergue in Canaveral. Were we really the only people ever to find this place totally fine? And there were at least three bedrooms, an immaculate kitchen and a washing/drying room

D

Deleted member 3000

From the place itself (and another thread):
Are you open, or will you be open next season? Thanks.

Dear [Falcon],

No, sorry.

It is empty, needs renovation and is for sale for only E130.000,--

Regards

Maarten

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts