• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pensions, Hotels - Solo Woman

BalmainGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 12 days (2017)
Hi,

When I start my Camino in a couple of weeks, I was planning on staying in hotels & pensions more than the Albergues - purely because I am a terrible sleeper even in normal life, so I think the Albergues would be a challenge for me. I am a bit nervous about walking on my own and obviously the largest groups of Pilgrims will leave from the Albergues every morning. If I still leave at the most popular time will I still meet people to walk with ?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,

When I start my Camino in a couple of weeks, I was planning on staying in hotels & pensions more than the Albergues - purely because I am a terrible sleeper even in normal life, so I think the Albergues would be a challenge for me. I am a bit nervous about walking on my own and obviously the largest groups of Pilgrims will leave from the Albergues every morning. If I still leave at the most popular time will I still meet people to walk with ?

You almost certainly will have people to walk with. Some will have started earlier than you but maybe from a town or two before you so they will be on the same spot on the trail that you are on. It seemed like every day that I met people who had started from a different location than I had but there we were together on the trail.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

Hi, you will meet plenty of other pilgrims along the way and some times maybe more than you want.
Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

We only walked from Sarria so this may differ from a SJPDP start but people tended to leave their accommodation on the hour and 1/2 hour. So waves came through.

At the first breakfast stop after any town hoards collected. At the second breakfast stop things were calmer. We didn't always stay at Brieley stops but still, the same people would meet accidentally at the second breakfast stop every day.

You will definitely meet people to walk with . Also if you are staying in hotels , others will be too. You can also wait outside the albergue early morning if looking for someone to walk with .

Try not to fret too much . It all works out :)

Ultreia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't pretend to be able to give advice about the specific worries of being a single female on Camino. But I can share something that's at least worked for me.

I try to divide my thinking between what I know is true, versus what I feel is true.

Thus: Being a hard sleeper could be a fact, but the notion of having a hard time in an albergue is a belief. And beliefs are worth testing. Being separated from others daily could be a fact, but the notion that they wouldn't wait up and instead move on without you is a belief.

I try to focus only on what's in my control: accepting facts and challenging beliefs. I emphasize the word try. I'm not always successful.

@BalmainGirl I just wanted to point out that many albergues have private rooms, so you can stay in albergues and still have your own sleeping room.

I was also concerned about sleeping in dorms, but after walking 25 km sleeping was generally not a problem.

I wondered about this last year but people told me they generally prefer to give private rooms to couples or families not singles ..... I have no idea if that is true or not ....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wondered about this last year but people told me they generally prefer to give private rooms to couples or families not singles ..... I have no idea if that is true or not ....
Sometimes they have single rooms. If you take a double room you pay the price for a couple.

If you team up with any other person you can usually get a twin room. Lots of people find someone to share with as they go along.

C
I suggest that you stay in albergues a few times, particularly at the start of the Camino, as that will give a good introduction. At other times, you might need to make the first gesture to other pilgrims at breakfast, rest stops or dinners. If you start the conversation, you should have no problem.[/QUOTE

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

Compromise. Stay in Albergues that have private rooms whenever you can and have the communal meal. If you meet a group who are staying in Albergues that don't and want to walk with them the next day just explain and arrange to meet in the morning. Easy really and I had no problems doing this last year.

Hi,

So BalmainGirl, I am wondering if it all worked out? I will likely be staying at hotels along the way as I feel I need a private room due to sleeping issues also. I never thought it would be a problem meeting people, but your post has now put the idea in my head! I am leaving one week from today! Can't wait!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.