• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD People entering Galicia have to register

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I assume this order applies to peregrinos walking into Galicia. If you’re out there now, and have been walking in these regions in the last 14 days, I would check with the locals to see what you should do and where you should register.

The new regulations apply to those who have been in Aragón, Cataluña, Navarra, País Vasco, La Rioja, and Portugal.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
El Pais is suggesting that this is de facto a border closing, unless you're coming in from outside the regions and countries in question.

The official document does state that anyone with any symptoms that might be Covid19 will need to quarantine, but pretty much every pilgrim will have at least fatigue etc, so hmmmm

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
no big deal really, apart from the legal and rights issues that may arise or you may have. In any case, hotels in Spain already get our ID/Passport info, names etc. (they are required by law) when we check in.

likewise, the form is only mandatory for people that have come from or through the following countries and areas in Spain (last 14 days):

• De cualquiera de los países del continente africano. (AFRICA, whole continent)
  • De los siguientes territorios del continente americano: (AMERICAS) Argentina, Bahamas, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, República Dominicana, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, México, Montserrat, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, San Vicente y las Granadinas, San Martín, Surinam, Islas Tortugas, Estados Unidos (USA), Islas Vírgenes, Venezuela, Haití, Jamaica y Nicaragua.
  • De los siguientes territorios de Asia: Bahrein, Bangladesh, India, Irán, Irak, Israel, Kazakstán, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstán, Líbano, Maldivas, Omán, Palestina, Filipinas, Qatar, Arabia Saudí, Singapur, Emiratos Árabes, Uzbekistán, Afganistán, Bután, Brunéi, Camboya, Indonesia, Laos, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistán, Siria, Tailandia y Vietnam.
  • De los siguientes territorios de Europa (EUROPE): Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaiyán, Bielorrusia, Bélgica, Bosnia- Hercegovina, Bulgaria, Croacia, República Checa, Kosovo, Luxemburgo, Moldavia, Mónaco, Montenegro, Macedonia del Norte, Portugal, Rumanía, Rusia, Serbia, Suecia y Ucrania.
  • De las Comunidades Autónomas (AUTONOMOUS REGIONS IN SPAIN): Aragón, Cataluña, Navarra, País Vasco y La Rioja.
Not sure why the UK is not on the list.

and no, there is no border closing, potential border closing or authorities screening you, in theory the only reason is so that potential outbreaks can be monitored more effectively.

apparently, but i have not been able to verify this, there is a hefty fine if you do not fill in the form and are caught.

here's the link (it's in English too):

Hello! I’m Anna the pilgrim. I just crossed the border Asturias-Galicia and I didn’t register, and I’m not going to do it, it doesn’t make sense. However, do it if you feel like. Feel free😉
But if you are from Cataluña you'll be registered at the albergue/hotel in Fonsagrada.It is the law.

Hello! I’m Anna the pilgrim. I just crossed the border Asturias-Galicia and I didn’t register, and I’m not going to do it, it doesn’t make sense. However, do it if you feel like. Feel free😉

Hi Anna,

it does not matter if you feel that this registration makes sense. You are a guest in Spain and thus spanish law applies.

In your specific case you did not violate the law as you did not enter Galicia from one of the regions mentioned above, but from Asturias.

But if you enter from one of the regions mentioned above, it should be your responsibility as a pilgrim to give your data in order to protect the local population. Otherwise you risk that pilgrims are not welcome any longer.

BC
Alexandra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Anna,

it does not matter if you feel that this registration makes sense. You are a guest in Spain and thus spanish law applies.

In your specific case you did not violate the law as you did not enter Galicia from one of the regions mentioned above, but from Asturias.

But if you enter from one of the regions mentioned above, it should be your responsibility as a pilgrim to give your data in order to protect the local population. Otherwise you risk that pilgrims are not welcome any longer.

BC
Alexandra

actually, if you have been in one of the above Spanish Autonomous Regions 14 days prior...

attached is a descriptive map of the covid status in galicia from a week ago (no alarmism intended, things are looking pretty good in Galicia/on the Camino, considering, and i'm heading that direction next week)

Attachments

• BROTESRESPONSIVEWEB-01.jpg
    BROTESRESPONSIVEWEB-01.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
what a mess best to stay home and wait for 2021.
Unfortunately, it's the frequent changed to policies and protocols, both within Spain and from other countries, that is making any kind of travel much more complicated and unreliable. I live here in Spain, but now I've come to realise that doing any kind of Camino is probably best left until the situation becomes stabilised for a couple of months at least, maybe even until 2021 as you say.
The attempt to promote tourism and try and recover some lost economic activity was always going to be a very risky undertaking. If the government or autonomous community local governments take harsh measures then they are criticised, if they don't take enough measures and the outbreaks start to become more widespread then they are also criticised.
If people on the forum decide to walk a Camino they are criticised by some, if they decide not to then they are criticised by others. We will all need to be very patient and understanding with ourselves and others. I feel sorry for those small businesses and families that make a living from the Camino tourism, but I feel even more concern for those that could become infected and ill as a result of not being able to track, trace and test potential carriers of the virus. If we are out there and are asked to jump through these hoops then just best get on with it. It's to track and trace people should an outbreak be discovered along part of the routes where pilgrims and others may have travelled.

If people on the forum decide to walk a Camino they are criticised by some, if they decide not to then they are criticised by others.

We‘ve had a lot of back and forth, disagreements, judgments, etc, but I think the forum is pretty much on the track that says — if you follow the rules and are aware of the risk you are taking, it is a personal decision. It may not be the decision I would make, but who am I to condemn you if you are doing what Spain has told you you can do. We have encouraged forum members to park their judgment on this question and I think it has been working well. I think people have continued to point out risks and rewards, but the judgment that you are selfish if you walk has pretty much disappeared.

But that’s very different than what Anna has said here — essentially this — well I think the rules don’t make sense, so I am just going to do what I want. I don’t think we should pile on here and beat her up over it, but I don’t think it is up to the individual to decide which laws to follow and which to ignore. Reminds me of threads that were prevalent a few years ago about overstaying your visa. True, you might not get caught, and true, the regulations may be byzantine, but compliance with the law should be a no brainer.

Hoping that everyone stays safe, and that Galicia‘s attempt to prevent more outbreaks is successful. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
for the record, failure to inform the SERGAS (Galician health authorities) can result in a fine between 601 and 601.000 euros depending on the severity of the offence (examples given are 'not informing and not causing an outbreak' to ' intentionally causing an outbreak')

in theory, the list of countries and regions will be updated every 15 days
and they also promise to delete our personal info after 28 days.

that's all from me. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Vaccine. Months off. Well into next year for sufficient doses if one proves to be efficacious. Anthony Fauci says he hopes a vaccine will have an efficacy of at least 60%, meaning on average the vaccine reduces a person’s risk of a COVID-19 infection by 60%. Meaning it will introduce another uncertainty into the equation. And then there are the 25% of the U.S. population who say that they won't seek a vaccine. Plus the anti-vaxers who………

meaning on average the vaccine reduces a person’s risk of a COVID-19 infection by 60%.
No ; it should render 60% of recipients (more or less) immune to the infection i.e we should be able to detect if any one individual is indeed immune by e.g. antibody testing with the possible addition of information from the T-cell system but this is technically difficult so far.
Another problem is the possibility/probability that any immune response will be short-lived ; might we need to immunise the population more than once per year? This would be a formidable task...not to mention the problem of the "refuseniks".

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back