• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

People on the Camino Frances

Eddiebee

Eddiebee
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP to SDC May & June 2017
I walked into Santiago on June 22, 2017, after leaving SJPDP on May 18,2017. I made over 2000 photos along the way. I came back to the USA on June 28 and started a two week process of digesting what I had done and looking at the photos. I made a serious mistake. I took pictures of mountains, bridges, buildings, rivers, etc. I have less that 20 photos of people. For me, the most memorable part of the Camino is the people that I met. Most of them are not in any photos and there are many that I remember well but cannot recall their names. If/when I do this again I will try to photograph more people and write down their names because they are more important that the landscape.

On my 5th night, at Azqueta, I met 4 people that I wish I could contact. Angela and her husband, Federico, live on Majorca. Federico said that he made the best piella in the world. I would like to invite him to Atlanta so that I could see if he was right. They are wonderful people but I have not seen them since Logrono. There was a young lady (30) , I think from Sweden, I believe her name is Stephanie (not sure about spelling) I last saw her in Leon where she told me she had lost a day from being sick and intended to go a little slower. I would like to know that she finished and that she is well. The 4th was a younger lady from Germany, Ronja. I last saw her two days out from Santiago. I would like to know if she had heard from the other Germans that were with her part of the way.

Leaving Pamplona, I walked about 20 minutes with a young lady from Scotland (I believe). I had a hard time with her name but she offered me some nutella at Zariguiegui, I last saw her at Torres del Rio. There was Hannah that I met in the airport in Madrid and only saw one more time in Leon. There were many others.

Of course, there were a few that I remember better because I made pictures and/or FB friends. Tim Quigley, Ireland, plant to finish his camino in October. There were 3 Texans, who became 4 Texans and later became many more Texans. Leighton and Renee were with me for the day trip to the end of the earth. A couple from Ireland, Nigel and Bernnie, were last seen walking past SDC. There was Alex, a young man from Germany, who was last seen enjoying Tapas in SDC. Pauline from Australia, found me on Facebook through another pilgrim.

There were many more. Please don't make the mistake that I made. There wonderful people will not be around forever. I wish that I had given my contact info to more people.

If you know any of the people mentioned, please tell them that I would like to contact them. If you were on the Camino Frances in May and June and saw an old man named Ed from Atlanta, Georgia, USA, please contact me. People are more important than mountains and bridges.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Eddie, an excellent reminder thank you! I agree totally, that for me doing the Camino last year was all about the people I met, the walking is a great mechanism that allows you to make contacts. I'm walking it again in a few weeks and have planned to meet up with a friend for a few days that I met last year on the CF.

I walked into Santiago on June 22, 2017, after leaving SJPDP on May 18,2017. I made over 2000 photos along the way. I came back to the USA on June 28 and started a two week process of digesting what I had done and looking at the photos. I made a serious mistake. I took pictures of mountains, bridges, buildings, rivers, etc. I have less that 20 photos of people. For me, the most memorable part of the Camino is the people that I met. Most of them are not in any photos and there are many that I remember well but cannot recall their names. If/when I do this again I will try to photograph more people and write down their names because they are more important that the landscape.

On my 5th night, at Azqueta, I met 4 people that I wish I could contact. Angela and her husband, Federico, live on Majorca. Federico said that he made the best piella in the world. I would like to invite him to Atlanta so that I could see if he was right. They are wonderful people but I have not seen them since Logrono. There was a young lady (30) , I think from Sweden, I believe her name is Stephanie (not sure about spelling) I last saw her in Leon where she told me she had lost a day from being sick and intended to go a little slower. I would like to know that she finished and that she is well. The 4th was a younger lady from Germany, Ronja. I last saw her two days out from Santiago. I would like to know if she had heard from the other Germans that were with her part of the way.

Leaving Pamplona, I walked about 20 minutes with a young lady from Scotland (I believe). I had a hard time with her name but she offered me some nutella at Zariguiegui, I last saw her at Torres del Rio. There was Hannah that I met in the airport in Madrid and only saw one more time in Leon. There were many others.

Of course, there were a few that I remember better because I made pictures and/or FB friends. Tim Quigley, Ireland, plant to finish his camino in October. There were 3 Texans, who became 4 Texans and later became many more Texans. Leighton and Renee were with me for the day trip to the end of the earth. A couple from Ireland, Nigel and Bernnie, were last seen walking past SDC. There was Alex, a young man from Germany, who was last seen enjoying Tapas in SDC. Pauline from Australia, found me on Facebook through another pilgrim.

There were many more. Please don't make the mistake that I made. There wonderful people will not be around forever. I wish that I had given my contact info to more people.

If you know any of the people mentioned, please tell them that I would like to contact them. If you were on the Camino Frances in May and June and saw an old man named Ed from Atlanta, Georgia, USA, please contact me. People are more important than mountains and bridges.

Buen Camino

Hola Eddiebee,
Had the same reaction as you as I looked through my thousands of photos taken along the Camino Frances last year...where were all those wonderful folks that touched me along the Way? Loved seeing the incredible scenery with the occasional "shadow selfie", but missing were the people! So, when I walked the Sanabres this Spring, I made sure to capture as many of those faces and spirits who shaped my experience as much as the mountains, forests and flechas amarillas! Short videos with sound are especially precious.
I am grateful to have shared my contact information with a few of the many met along the path, but mostly it's the memories of those many "present moments" with fellow peregrinos that I hold so dear.
So, along with Eddie, my advice to new pilgrims, if you chose to take photos, is to not forget the faces along with the road. And ...Get that contact info when you think of it, because you may not meet up with that pilgrim again.
Good luck Eddie finding your folks!
Ultreia!
elle

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen Camino

Yes thank you for this advice, I start my walk next month and will have to try to rembeer to take photos of the people we meet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great Idea. Here are a few photos taken on the Camino. Both with and without the hat.

Attachments

• IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    956.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 118
I took almost 10,000 photos of scenery and very few of people, like you I overlooked the most important piece of the Camino ... the People. On August 10, 2017 we start the Frances once more and this time I know my subject matter. I will endeavor to capture the essence of the Camino, the people who trek it.

Thank You for the reminder Ed !!!! Buen Camino !!! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes thank you for this advice, I start my walk next month and will have to try to rembeer to take photos of the people we meet.

We start August 10 :) Hope to see you on the trail Karen !

Buen Camino ! :)

Buen Camino
As I lie on my bunk in Uterga, I hear your pain Eddie. However, maybe four years from now you will get a surprise. Four years ago I was on duty in Zabaldika, welcoming pilgrims. This morning one of those pilgrims, Tomer from Jerusalem, caught up with me on way up to El Perdon. Had I begun three minutes later... so we had a very friendly and wide-ranging conversation as far as Zariquiegui where we parted company. This time, a photo... So you are dead right: snap away!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
that's an extremely good review/ advice. thanks people a lot. i'm new here and i'm getting used to the site but to be honest i didn't expected a forum can be so helpful. thanks a lot! that's why lately i started to search for hgh as i see that forum reviews are really really helpful. thanks to you guys.

Last edited:

Buen Camino
Go back and do it again with a new focus on the people you meet, it's that simple.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As well as fellow pilgrims try photographing local people and characters . I have some beautiful images ;taken with permission , of people gracefuly going about their everyday business. To my mind this captures the essence of a country more effectively than simple scenery does.

Hi Ed, reading your post I felt very very emotional. I too hold very dearly to the memories of the people who touched my heart whilst I was walking the camino last year. I have some photos and many more very happy memories of often very profound connections with people I hardly knew, but seemed to have some kind of bond with. I think thats one of the things which makes the camino so unique - many of the people on it have a similar approach to life and to each other, often very different to that which we can frequently find ourselves dominated by in "everyday life"....

Again - the camino is like a microcosm of life - I'm grateful for those experiences, and hope for more down the track....

Buen Camino

Buen Camino
It is so weird that you posted this as just the other day I was going through my photos of my first 2 Caminos. And I deleted a boatload of photos of basically the same fields, vineyards, hills of Galicia, open spaces of the Meseta, farm houses in France, there were
So many. When I got to photos of all the great people I met and are my friends for life, I stopped to look and remember where and how we met, conversations on the Camino and evenings laughing and having fun.
Your post is required reading especially for first time Pilgrims. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back