• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

People with Altra Lone Peak shoes

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
So I've been wearing these around for the past few weeks just to see how I feel walking with them before my Camino in May. I love the extra room in the toe box. That's great. What is taking me longer to get use to is that the shoes are flat meaning no real difference in height from the heel to the toes. So how long do you think this took you to get used to? The bottom of my feet would hurt a lot while running when I ran years ago so I became use to wearing shoes that seemed like I was walking on clouds haha. I'm not saying the Altras feel bad now I just can "feel" the bottom of my feet making impact more it seems. Shoule I buy insoles? If so, any recommendations?

I don't want to panic and change shoes if users think I'll get use to it so just looking for comments from those with experience wearing these shoes!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love my Altra Lone Peak's. I do remember noticing the difference at first but, honestly, I don't think it lasted too long for me. I believe they are designed to resemble what it is like to walk bare footed, although I may have just made that up. lol I don't really notice it anymore and, like you, love the wide toe box. I am on my second pair, having worn out my first. I am firmly in the Altra camp.

I love my Altra Lone Peak's. I do remember noticing the difference at first but, honestly, I don't think it lasted too long for me. I believe they are designed to resemble what it is like to walk bare footed, although I may have just made that up. lol I don't really notice it anymore and, like you, love the wide toe box. I am on my second pair, having worn out my first. I am firmly in the Altra camp.
That's what I was hoping to hear. They are just different but I don't feel anything rubbing and my toes love the roomy abode haha. I plan on wearing them on a week long trip full of walking next month and I'm sure I'll be adjusted by then!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for your post. Which version 3,4,5 or 6 are you wearing?

I see Altra Lone Peaks? I click! Best shoes ever for backpacking...that roomy abode will be your best friend and far outweigh any weirdness of adjusting to flat shoes. It will take a couple of days tops. Enjoy!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had my first as 4.5's and it took my hips about 6 months to adjust to the different impact of the zero drop. However, my feet were ever so happy that I told my hips to "put up or shut up". I have purchased 5 pairs since then, and I'm currently switching between the LP 6, the Timp and the LP 6 boot. A major plus on the "strain reduction side" is that they weigh significantly less than my old favourite brand.

I have worn Altra Lone Peak through several versions and now wear Altra Olympus because they have even more forefoot cushion. My breaking in period was quite short - probably because I really never wore high heels in my life for work or otherwise. No matter what trail runner I buy, I always change out the insole. The insole that comes with trail runners are the cheapest possible. I buy SuperFeet trailblazers for women for all my trail runners. Makes a huge difference to me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We walked the Portuguese Camino and I had to change from Altras because of more walking on harder off trail roads and cobblestones. I bought Hoka Stinsons for that walk. We gave many trails on area aand still use my Altras on trails.

I too loved the wide toe box on the Altras. I didn't feel that the flatter sole was an issue for me, however, even with my laces tight, my toes slid to the front walking down the mountains, especially on rocky conditions. That created some toe pain and I lost more than one toe nail. I think they were great for short downhill hikes, but multiple days of uphill and downhill... I would choose another shoe, I think.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I tried on Altra Lone Peaks and loved the cushioning, but on a downhill slope (big fake rock in the shoe department) my toes squished against the front of the shoe. Has anyone had this problem and overcome it with tighter lacing in the mid-foot or in some other way?

Not 100% sure if this helps but I did the Camino Ingles wearing the Olympus 4's and they do take a little getting used to, but I'd quite happily do another Camino in them. I did use Superfeet trailblazer inserts which apparently gave them a 3mm drop which did appear to ease the tension I occasionally would feel on my Achilles tendons when using them. Definitely worth the effort for the forefoot stack height though, an absolute dream compared to my previous Salomon and Merrel mounts.

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked the Portuguese Camino and I had to change from Altras because of more walking on harder off trail roads and cobblestones. I bought Hoka Stinsons for that walk. We gave many trails on area aand still use my Altras on trails.
I'm about the walk the CP, too, so I'm interested in your switch of footwear. I would have guessed that the cushy Altras would be ideal for the hard stony surfaces. What advantage did the Hoka Stinsons have? I'm having a hard time figuring out the best shoe for this walk! (Walked before in Salomon Ultra X.)

I'm about the walk the CP, too, so I'm interested in your switch of footwear. I would have guessed that the cushy Altras would be ideal for the hard stony surfaces. What advantage did the Hoka Stinsons have? I'm having a hard time figuring out the best shoe for this walk! (Walked before in Salomon Ultra X.)
For rocky surfaces... the Timp has a rock-plate and you can remove it when you reach softer terrain. Ideal flexibility for some days... I find the toe box not as roomy as my LPs so those are the ones for my coming walk. The LPs are also lighter than the Timps... and over several hundred thousand steps, that does matter to me.

I have written before that I really like my Lone Peak (V) shoes. They are the only shoe beside Keen that I wear on a daily basis. I do a lot of walking / hiking and I rotate shoes a lot - daily. I have come to the conclusion that I will not use the Lone Peaks on my next camino. I will return to my Keens. They both have the necessary wide toe box that I need and for both the fit is for my feet. The "no drop" issue is the factor that influences my decision. I just can't seem (I have hundreds of miles on both) to make my mind accept the zero drop. I am not sure that it affects me in any other way except psychologically, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. As I have noted about many things "camino-ish" everyone has her / his own journey to prepare for and make. I've just laid out part of mine.... Buen Camino / Bom Caminho!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tried on Altra Lone Peaks and loved the cushioning, but on a downhill slope (big fake rock in the shoe department) my toes squished against the front of the shoe. Has anyone had this problem and overcome it with tighter lacing in the mid-foot or in some other way?
One of the things I liked about my Lone Peak 4s was that the heel and midfoot felt locked in. The lacing is always fussy with Lone Peaks, but it does help to snug the lacing from the bottom up. Also, I've learned to oversize walking shoes to allow for feet swelling and thicker socks. I wear a size larger in walking shoes than I normally got for dressier shoes. As long as the shoes don't feel sloppy, you might try going up a half or full size and then taking the time to lace snuggly. All that said, I've not had a problem with toes slipping forward. Toe protection is another thing though. Stub a rock and I will feel it.

My partner and I walked the Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago to Finesterre this spring. We both wore Lone Peak Altras with Injinji toe socks. I think we're both on our 3rd or so version of Lone Peak Altras. Prior to changing to Altras about 6 years ago, I AWLAYS got blisters on my feet. I tried everything...double socks, mole skin, creams, blister bandages, etc., but still had blisters. I haven't had even one blister since I switched to the Lone Peaks paired with midweight Injinji toe socks. The lightweight Injinji socks didn't hold up to extended hikes. They got holes in the toes right away. My midweight socks have many 100's of miles on them and not one hole. My previous hiking shoes didn't have a big enough toe box to accomodate the extra material of the toe socks. FYI- the toe socks feel wierd to me every time I put them on, but within seconds I totally forget they are any different than a normal sock.

Bom Caminho

The Hokas have a cushion walk and are not zero gravity shoes. I can't tell you the details of how they are constructed. We shop at REI and allow patrons to purchase shoes and give a try out and if they are not working one can return them for full value. I tried about 3 different shoes before I settled on the Hokas. I am now on my second pair.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Hokas have a cushion walk and are not zero gravity shoes. I can't tell you the details of how they are constructed. We shop at REI and allow patrons to purchase shoes and give a try out and if they are not working one can return them for full value. I tried about 3 different shoes before I settled on the Hokas. I am now on my second pair.
plenty of room in the toes with your Hokas?

So I've been wearing these around for the past few weeks just to see how I feel walking with them before my Camino in May. I love the extra room in the toe box. That's great. What is taking me longer to get use to is that the shoes are flat meaning no real difference in height from the heel to the toes. So how long do you think this took you to get used to? The bottom of my feet would hurt a lot while running when I ran years ago so I became use to wearing shoes that seemed like I was walking on clouds haha. I'm not saying the Altras feel bad now I just can "feel" the bottom of my feet making impact more it seems. Shoule I buy insoles? If so, any recommendations?

I don't want to panic and change shoes if users think I'll get use to it so just looking for comments from those with experience wearing these shoes!
I love the Altra's as well. I did have a terrible time with the stones/gravel along sections of the Frances earlier this year. The bottoms of my feet were taking a beating. In Sahagun, I saw the Pilgrim Feet Store. Went in, described the issue and walked out with some cushioned insoles that were a game changer. I know others may have differing opinions, but this was my reality. (64 years old in great shape for an old guy.)

Planning for the Portuguese and Mt Kilimanjaro in 2023, I will be wearing the latest version of Lone Peak or Timp and will have insoles in reserve.

Buen Camino!

There a

There are a number of people who will not ‘adjust’ to a zero-drop shoe. While it can take a week to two weeks to allow foot and ankle structures to adjust, that is not a given. Altra shoes are enjoyed by many, many others do not because of the zero drop design.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I used to use Merrills, and after I put my first pair of Ultra Lone Peaks on I have been wearing them EVERY day since ( Camino Frances 2019) !! It took a week or so to get used to the zero heel drop but now and since, LOVE them.

I am using Altra Olympus 4 with zero drop (front to back) but thicker cushioning than other Altra models. The insole I use is called "Sole". It is an excellent insole and is also zero drop. I deliberately went with Hoka Speedgoats first, because with only 4 millimetre drop, it eased me into the zero drop Altras without problems. The Altra Olympus 4 has gaiter rings on the front and velcro gaiter attachments on the rear and work well with Dirty Girl gaiters to keep sand, dirt, small gravel out of the shoes, and to keep the shoes a bit drier on rainy days. Edit: Altra also distribute their own gaiters, but these do not seem to measure up to the Dirty Girl gaiters.

Last edited:
Did you do the ankle lacing that helps to hold your ankle in place? I changed to this kind of lacing and it works very well for me. I forget the technical name for it...

I am using the Altra Lone Peak 6s on my training hikes. I like them a lot. I have orthotics, so I put the orthotics under the replaceable inner cushion and it works well. (I can see where buying a nicer, cushier innersole to replace the one that comes with the shoe would work nicely.) I use the ankle-lock lacing (not sure if that's the right technical term) to hold my ankles back when going downhill and works well. I do not like the shoes so much on pavement. I use a different style of Altras for pavement walking.

I go barefoot most of the time, so I didn't notice the difference. I do have sofsoles inserts. I'll start walking from SJPDP on Friday - Buen Camino!

I am using the Altra Lone Peak 6s on my training hikes. I like them a lot. I have orthotics, so I put the orthotics under the replaceable inner cushion and it works well. (I can see where buying a nicer, cushier innersole to replace the one that comes with the shoe would work nicely.) I use the ankle-lock lacing (not sure if that's the right technical term) to hold my ankles back when going downhill and works well. I do not like the shoes so much on pavement. I use a different style of Altras for pavement walking.
I didn't try ankle-lock lacing (wasn't aware of it) and I may have been too quick to dismiss the Altras because I hadn't considered walking a camino in running shoes as opposed to light hikers, like my old Salomons, that seem to have more stability and a good solid base for stones. All of the comments here about running shoes are certainly making me reconsider. Thanks to everyone!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't try ankle-lock lacing (wasn't aware of it) and I may have been too quick to dismiss the Altras because I hadn't considered walking a camino in running shoes as opposed to light hikers, like my old Salomons, that seem to have more stability and a good solid base for stones. All of the comments here about running shoes are certainly making me reconsider. Thanks to everyone!
For what it is worth two different podiatrists I’ve consulted with like Altras and the Lone Peak for hiking. But it’s a matter of preference. My husband still prefers traditional hiking boots. It will be interesting to see how we both feel after we are on the Camino

And another “for what it’s worth” I wore out my 6th pair of LP’s on my last Camino which included 5 days of the Pyrenees GR 10 from SJPdP to Hendaye, 1100kms in total. Love the wide toe box, great cushioning, and in all that hiking (5000 kms ish) not a single blister.

Always respected D Buggs’ point however that footwear is an individual thing. No one shoe will work for all.

I just know my feet are happy in Altras.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Personally, I find the Altra Lone Peaks too thin in the sole for rocky terrain. That said, it’s the feel I used to like when I was younger. Now I feel in need a bit more between me and the road Lol. I am
also not fond of zero drop shoes in spite of spending 90% of my time either barefoot or in flip flops. But if they work for you…..that’s the important thing. Every person is different.

I spent more time, researching, stressing and consulting health professionals trying to find the perfect shoe, than any other aspect of my camino preparation earlier this year when completing the del norte.
I too landed on the Altra Lone peak 6's, as soon as I slipped them them on, I knew they were the ones, no other shoe, not even Keens, would accomodate my broad foot size.
They were not perfect though. About 500klm into my Camino Del Norte, the lining on the back of my heel started to disintegrate/break down, and the padding started to come loose, this really worried me as as i was concerned that it would create a friction point and cause blisters, in the end I patched by stuffing the shoe with hikers wools, and covering the opening with some tape. The other issue with the Altras was that on really gravelly/rocky terrain, which there was a lot off, I sometimes wished I had more solid/sturdy soles and cushioning, so I wouldn't feel every rock on the trail. This didn't cause any physical issues, but i just never quite got used to the feel of it.

Would i use them again? hmm, maybe, if I could find a more sturdier sole but with the same broad toes box, i would gravitate to them in a flash.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My partner wore Altra Lone Peaks on the Norte. They felt fine at home but not alone the way. He eventually hacked into the forefoot with a pair of scissors - and then bought some sandals. Just the wrong shape for him.

I'm a hiking sandals fan, but a recent convert to Hokas for bitumen or hard sealed surfaces.

Have been reflecting on the 'no heal' question.
I think if you usually wear heals, particularly women with higher healed shoes, then I believe your Achilles' tendon can shrink significantly and it would be virtually impossible to adapt to the 'no heal' shoe in a few months.
If you are used to and happy walking bare foot or normally wear flats then that type of shoe might be absolutely fine with a short adjustment period.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A note about sizing up: don't automatically assume your feet are going to need that much room. A shoe with too much room in it will promote sheering blisters on the plantar/sole of the foot. Tightening laces to stop slipping (as some have noted here) will only get you so far and it is not likely to be far enough to prevent blisters and, potentially, toe nail injury as well as your toes try to get purchase inside a shoe that is too large.
Most people find that they lose weight on camino (whether desired or not), and smaller people in particular can really notice that loss in the feet.
Age is often if not aways a variable in swelling or not with older people more likely to experience it. Weather matters too. Will you be walking in the high heat or in cooler temperatures? Cooler weather leads to less likelihood of swelling.
In essence, you need to walk every day for at least 4 days in a row with challenging terrain (very soft, very hard, rocky...) and enough kilometers to know if you are going to need to size up or not. Blanket advice to size up sends many inexperienced walkers off the trail.
What does seem certain is that people who put in a lot of walking, especially with a pack on, will see their feet widen in the toe box region, so it is important to prioritize space there.
Finally, a shoe that is too big will place the arch support in the wrong position for your foot and is likely to cause strain injuries and general soreness.
And I read a set of posts here on feet and shoes that made a crucial reminder that I had not thought of: make sure your socks are not too tight!

I love my Altras and tend to wear them loose, but if my toes are hitting the front of the shoes in up and down climbs, tightening the laces (I do it not just at the top but from the beginning of the laces all the way to the top) takes care of the problem.

Another thought--if the lacing doesn't solve the issue, perhaps try a half size smaller and see if that helps?

To the OP's question, I definitely felt soreness in my feet when I switched to Altra originally, but once my feet got used to it (I was told my feet were using different muscles than they did in the sloped, cushion shoes I'd worn all my life), so many aches and pains that had limited me went away. My husband had the same experience.

As someone who has a history of ankle-twisting, I love how solid the Lone Peaks are on the ground. The lack of cushioning height for me also means less risk of ankle-twisting, but I do empathize with previous mention of feeling the rocks in very rocky areas.

It's a bit of an impossible debate/question unfortunately, as we are all different.
We need to consider differences such as:

1. Age (older feet lose their cushioning)
  2. Body Weight & Pack Weight
  3. Feet and arch types/shapes
  4. Foot 'health' and many other elements.

I have some Lone Peak 5s. There is no way on earth I could wear them on a Camino.
I bought them as so many people here love them.
I put them on last night to walk to the shop 1 km away and changed them before I even left the house.
Why?

The soles feel so thin, and offer me no cushioning.
But others love them!

But then again I'm struggling to find the right footwear for my next Camino.
I'll go out and buy more to trial soon..........in frustration.
I'm not heading out to walk 1,100 kms with footwear that doesn't feel right for the task......

I used to wear Salomon Boots. Loved them. But my physio says they are too heavy for my damaged knees now.

Tried Altra's. Felt great at first. But rarely wear them now.

La Sportiva. Too narrow.

Hoka. Great support and cushioning. Will wear these if I can't find something better.

Sandals. Don't work for me. I need better arch and ankle support.........
I use them for evening wear on Camino.

By the way, I tried my custom orthotics in the Altras. Didn't really help much as the whole shoe structure is too light. For me.

It great to gather lots of insights, ideas and opinions, but ultimately. you have to go with what works for you.......

I'm still looking....... :oops:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's a bit of an impossible debate/question unfortunately, as we are all different.

I have some Lone Peak 5s. There is no way on earth I could wear them on a Camino.
I put them on last night to walk to the shop 1 km away and changed them before I even left the house.
Why?

But others love them!

I'm not heading out to walk 1,100 kms with footwear that doesn't feel right for the task......

I used to wear Salomon Boots. Loved them. But my physio says they are too heavy for my damaged knees now.

La Sportiva. Too narrow.

Hoka. Great support and cushioning. Will wear these if I can't find something better.

By the way, I tried my custom orthotics in the Altras. Didn't really help much as the whole shoe structure is too light. For me.

It great to gather lots of insights, ideas and opinions, but ultimately. you have to go with what works for you.......

I sympathise. After trying so many recommendations I keep returning to Merrill Moab 3 boot. Not as light as some and not as heavy as others. Firm but not too firm. They do need a different inner sole for extra cushioning. I discovered even new Merrills which are pretty much good to go on day one, improve radically with a few weeks prep walking. After experience on my my training walks I am now taking my orthotics and some sponger more cushioning inner soles. I can then alternate according to conditions. The whole shoe journey is a path of discovery and then changes as our feet age. 🙃🙂😫🙂😀

Why?

But others love them!

La Sportiva. Too narrow.

I feel ya about the still looking. My Merrill's were too heavy and hot. I live in my Mizuno running shoes haha I should just take those. I used to have a lot of problems with the bottom of my feet aching but I've been in those Mizuno's so long (and my work shoes with ample cushion) that I forgot i had that pain. That pain came back when I wear the Altra's. Like you it 'feels' too thin. I am going to give them another month. I had considered returning them but I just don't know what else yet. I'll consider the cost a price for research.
Hokas are my next choice. I just do no live near any stores that have them in stock to try on. I don't like to buy online but I will if I have to.

I thought the lonepeaks were horrendous on the camino and my feet were trashed by the end of the first week, despite having worn lonepeaks at home for many years. check out something with a more substantial sole- i switched to the keen newport sandals and they were fantastic for the remaining 400 miles. i saw numerous pilgrims switching to the keen sandals mid way and never looking back. good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also bought Lone Peak (6) a few weeks ago in prep for my October Camino. I bought 1.5 sizes too big as I have a wide foot and expect some swelling. I love them but having worn Hokas for the past two years it's taking some getting used to the zero profile. I've read other reviews suggesting superfeet insoles, green, wide fitting. I collect mine tomorrow having been fitted at my local outdoors shop. I think I'll be a happy hiker! To add, I 1st bought Keens for the wide fitting, wore them hiking but unfortunately, there's not enough wiggle room for an entire Camino for me. They'll do for shorter hikes. Good luck with yours!

I love the Altra Lone Peak 5 that my kids suggested and bought for me to try. I have not done any Camino yet, however I have been wearing it when I walk the local trails since last summer. This is also the most comfortable shoe for me, so far, even after walking for 4 hours with a 20-30 minutes break. The trails in the area are mostly flat. By the way, my shoe is one size bigger. Hope you find one that works for you. Buen Camino.

I feel ya about the still looking. My Merrill's were too heavy and hot. I live in my Mizuno running shoes haha I should just take those. I used to have a lot of problems with the bottom of my feet aching but I've been in those Mizuno's so long (and my work shoes with ample cushion) that I forgot i had that pain. That pain came back when I wear the Altra's. Like you it 'feels' too thin. I am going to give them another month. I had considered returning them but I just don't know what else yet. I'll consider the cost a price for research.
Hokas are my next choice. I just do no live near any stores that have them in stock to try on. I don't like to buy online but I will if I have to.

If they are comfortable, why not? I have walked two caminos in Mizunos, they just fit me perfectly :)
My third camino was done in Olympikus, a Brazilian brand hard to find in other places, but that had a similar shape. Light, cushioned and breathable, I love my sneakers :)

If they are comfortable, why not? I have walked two caminos in Mizunos, they just fit me perfectly :)
My third camino was done in Olympikus, a Brazilian brand hard to find in other places, but that had a similar shape. Light, cushioned and breathable, I love my sneakers :)
I would need a new pair so it's a consideration! Just wasn't sure how long they would last

If your wondering about if to use the Lone Peaks or not, this question tells me you have probably not done any of the Camino’s yet. That shoe is great for the Pacific Crest trail or on soft dirt trails. Camino’s no matter which has mostly black top, cement or gravel trails with short sections of actually dirt paths. I am currently on the Del Norte using the Olympus 5. I used the same Olympus last year on the Del Norte putting in 1000 km with them. The extra cushion is essential on these hard surfaces. At about 300 km, the cushion gets worn down some but adequate enough. My feet don’t seem to fit in any hola that isn’t some godly bright color so I’m using these Ultra’s. Also not crazy about the zero drop but the shoe and arch support and vibrim sole is pretty good. I’m putting the full length Norte then the Porto to Santiago Camino’s now on these Olympus 5 so time will tell how they hold up. At 180 km I just started developing a squeak in one of the shoes for the last 2 days but today it has stopped. Also trying the gortex version this year which are heavier than the non gortex but still no heavier than a lightweight boot. Stick to max cushion for any Camino and you’ll enjoy the way much more. Just my 2 cents ;)

DO NOT BUY INSOLES. USE WHATEVER IT IS THAT YOU HAVE BEEN WALKING IN ALREADY> DO NOT START YOUR WALK WITH A NEW SHOW! You need running trail shoes or running shoes. Flat bottoms are terrible for walking. Shoes need to have rounded fronts and backs to allow the natural form of walking. Altra Lone Peak have an arch at the back and the front so they are good. Other trail runners will do the trick. I use Salomon X Ultra myself but walking shoes are a personal choice. I recommend that you consult a podiatrist if you think that you have a foot ailment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I loved mine. At first. I walked a number of days and kilometers in them to stretch my calves and get used to the zero drop. As I started on longer treks I kept getting pain and tenderness in my arch. I had to abandon them because I couldn’t get my feet como after walking.

@Sirron ,
I complete my Camino three and half months ago from SJPP , in ALTRA Olympus 4 trail runners shoe and put around 1000 kms on them, without any problems, I also have ALTRA Superior 4.5 with me but never needed them on the Camino.
I don’t know what’s the big difference between Altra Lone Peaks and ALTRA Olympus 4.
I Will buy another Olympus 4 or Lone Peaks to try them , only if I can find them .
Im sure that your feet will make adjustment to the ALTRAS.
Cheers ,
Buen Camino . 🇨🇦

Wow! Lots of opinions here and I admit I didn’t get thru all of them. I’ve owned three pairs. I walked two caminos in Lone Peaks and was admittedly affected in my Achilles due to the zero drop. Especially with a pack on. Also, there was not enough cushioning for me — the bottom of my feet felt as tho I was truly barefoot by the end of the day. LOVE the toe box, tho, and I’ll never be able to go back to a traditional shoe. I’m still trying to find my ‘right’ shoe. Good luck with your Lone Peaks.

I wore altra lone peaks on my camino earlier this year. I loved them. You may wish to look into arch supporting socks or similar. My plantar fasciitis started acting up as I got close to Santiago. And I did get blisters on the balls of my feet (but not the toes! Yay altras. Some additional cushioning by way of insoles or socks may be helpful. Buen camino!

I have a pair of lone peaks and love them however I would not recommend them for the camino. I did the camino this July from St. Jean. Many parts of the camino are rough trail, lots of rocks and stones. The lone peak is a minimalist shoe. you will feel even stone that you step on. I would seriously recommend a shoe with more stability for the camino.

I wore Lone Peak 5's for my Camino in April. When I first put them on ready for a hike, they felt really strange especially when walking on concrete or asphalt surfaces. As soon as I got on a trail with ascents and descents, they felt fantastic. For the few weeks before the hike I basically only wore my Lone Peaks, to make sure they felt good. The helped eliminate the weird zero degree feeling.
I trained for 2-3 months with mine, did the Camino Frances in April and am still wearing them on my regular 5-10 mile hikes. They are starting to get worn now, but seem to have plenty of life left in them.
The wider toe box was a life saver for a wide foot person, I didn't get a single blister and give that credit to Altra Lone Peak, Darn Tough and daily vaseline application (just to be cautious)

Steve

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Wearing right now Lone peak 5, did 170 km in 4 days and it feels great. Walked 2 days in rain and this shoes dries super fast! I strongly recomend this shoes.

I finished the Camino in August wearing Lone Peak 6. Not one blister, I loved them. It didn’t take me long to get used to them in training they felt great from the start. They were completely trashed by the end of 500 miles however, still felt good though. My two walking partners both used Altra Olympus and were equally in love, again no foot problems. Altra is the way to go for me. I bought a pair of Olympus 4 to replace them when I returned they were on sale. They have more padding underfoot and a vibram sole. I have not put in extensive miles in them so I can’t give you honest feedback yet. The lone peak had more of a barefoot feel, I was advised by a running expert not to add an insole for my particular foot strike. I also used Darn tough hiking socks in merino wool. I cannot give you a higher recommendation for Altra or darn Tough. They were outstanding.

I see that these shoes have a loyal and enthusiastic following!

I’ve tried really hard with flat shoes (ie small heel to toe drop) and just can’t get them to work. My knees just hurt too much. I ended up having to pack the shoes out with insoles, which means that eventually my heel came loose.

So - can I ask the opposite question? Anyone got recommendations for shoes/boots with greater heel to toe drop?

You could try Altras with more cushioning like the Timp or Olympus(max cushion).
As @Perambulating Griffin said you do also have to get used to the zero drop of Altra shoes.
Be careful of the timp 4 - we are walking on CF at moment and my wife’s sauconys needed replacing sooner than we had estimated - we bought the Altra timp 4 in Burgos as these were the only shoes that could her injured toe from skiing boots. The toes are great in both feet but the tongue in the timp 4 was cutting into her ankle/lower leg on both left & right - so we cut / reshaped the tongue and over the last 40 km the shoes have been great - we don’t know about the tongue on other Altras - strange design fault on the timp 4

Adjustment period? I didn't know there was supposed to be one and thus missed it altogether. I was going to say I put PowerStep insoles in them, but I checked to see which version I have (4.5) and discovered I've still got the factory insoles. To be fair I bought them after my initial Camino section, in anticipation of a full CF in 2020 which of course didn't happen. As a result I confess that I haven't trained for long stretches over multiple days with a full pack - so I might have a different opinion once fully tested. I do like them for my 3 or 4 x weekly neighborhood 3 mile walks (all on pavement) and since I was trying to "save" them for the Camino I rarely otherwise wear them.

I had to take a couple of months off from my walks and when I started back I noted that the heel padding on both shoes has all but disappeared, and made a terrible mess of one heel on my next outing. I suspect my feet got used to it over time when I wore them every day or so, but my feet got soft when I took some time off. I've added some padding and all seems fine now. Surprising, I suppose, that is what gave out first.

I did my first section in Merrils and could have pointed out where each individual stone for 75 miles poked through the soles into my feet. I had planned to add stone/rock guards to the LPs, though it will come when I get back to extended hikes and rocky terrain. I imagine, given the wear in the heels, that I'll need to get some new ones before I revisit Spain, and will try to pay more attention to any adjustment period when I do. ;)

Lone Peak 6 Review (Aug 2022)

A very comfortable shoe for gentle trails and lite duty. I took this shoe on our first stage of the Camino. The stage we completed was between St. Jean de Porte, France and Los Arcos Spain 80+ miles. Generally this section of the Camino in my opinion didn’t require an actual boot so a trail shoe would work. Before leaving for the Camino I did several miles with my complete kit (~15 lbs with water + snacks). The hikes ensured I was accustom to the zero drop (for me it meant no heal) and got a general sense of the shoe. So with approximately 20+ miles in I felt ready. After ~40 miles I changed up the lacing on one shoe to get a feel for the enhanced arch support those holes offered. For me, I could feel the difference and was indifferent so I left them alone. While on the trail I could feel every rock underfoot big and small. Some may find this trail surface fidelity comforting, I’m not sure. I forced myself to think of it as a foot massage. After 9 days and 80+ miles of Camino hiking I noticed the tread showing clear signs of wear, the letters on the bottom are pretty much gone except for a “T” and an “r”, also color has broken through the knobs. With more than 420 miles to go and the current level of wear I don’t think these shoes would have made it to Santiago. I’m not sure if the projected failure would have been because the shoe was being used in a way that is outside the intended use case (on the Camino) or for some other reason, like I was walking in them heavy, my pack was ~15 lbs. I find them to be stylish (I have gray), I like how the laces catch and seem to lock into each other and don’t come undone. I like the back lip and flexibility material so I can kick them off at the end of the day. Overall for me I liked them, for the way I am with them, I think they are best for lite duty trail travel with minimal additional weight. I don’t think the tread will last that long approximately 100 to 200 miles, after that or some time after 175 I would expect to start to see a hole appear. Still it is a very comfortable shoe for groomed trails that lack rocks or objects of that nature.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I adjusted very quickly, even with my achilles/calf issues. Maybe you would prefer the Altra Olympus as it has more cushioning?

Wow this thread is a deep examination isn’t it!

Something I really liked about my Lone Peak 6’s on my last Camino was the integrated gaiter system. Really effective. Little stones getting into the shoe are really annoying and it used to happen to me daily. The shoe is cut low. But the simple gaiter system eliminated the problem.

Just a thought..........and hard to tell from our Avatar pictures.

I wonder if those who like Lone Peaks are younger and lower bodyweight?

Whereas those of us who are older (poor cushioning in the feet) and heavier, may struggle more with the lightweight construction and soles? :rolleyes:

I found the comfort unparalleled but the problem I faced was they weren't favorable for my arches. I have very high arches and the zero drop wrecked my achilles - both of them. I was so in love with the comfort that I thought I could just get through it, alas - nope. It was an ordeal for me.

I found the comfort unparalleled but the problem I faced was they weren't favorable for my arches. I have very high arches and the zero drop wrecked my achilles - both of them. I was so in love with the comfort that I thought I could just get through it, alas - nope. It was an ordeal for me.
That's one concern I had. I wore mine to work the other day and as I was walking around the building, I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my achilles. Now, I've never had achilles issues before. And most likely, it was just a stretching of it. Never happened again but it's something to cause me a thought or two. I'm going to keep wearing them over the next month to see how it goes. If I don't feel comfortable with them, I'll switch to Hokas or something else!

Just a thought..........and hard to tell from our Avatar pictures.

I wonder if those who like Lone Peaks are younger and lower bodyweight?

Whereas those of us who are older (poor cushioning in the feet) and heavier, may struggle more with the lightweight construction and soles? :rolleyes:
Good question because sadly at 48 I'm not as young as I think I am haha!

Wow this thread is a deep examination isn’t it!

Something I really liked about my Lone Peak 6’s on my last Camino was the integrated gaiter system. Really effective. Little stones getting into the shoe are really annoying and it used to happen to me daily. The shoe is cut low. But the simple gaiter system eliminated the problem.
Who knew so many comments about one particular brand of shoes? haha. I'm glad for the information though!

I adjusted very quickly, even with my achilles/calf issues. Maybe you would prefer the Altra Olympus as it has more cushioning?
Yeah I wish I had bought those the first time. I was just going by recommendations. I'm out in a rural area with no outdoor stores in less than 90 minutes away. With a full time job, marriage , kids and way too many animals, just didn't have the time to go somewhere to try or. Or I was being impatient and impulsive haha. Anyways I ordered the Lone Peaks on Amazon.
If I do change again, I'll make a point to take the long drive to try them on first.

Lone Peak 6 Review (Aug 2022)

A very comfortable shoe for gentle trails and lite duty. I took this shoe on our first stage of the Camino. The stage we completed was between St. Jean de Porte, France and Los Arcos Spain 80+ miles. Generally this section of the Camino in my opinion didn’t require an actual boot so a trail shoe would work. Before leaving for the Camino I did several miles with my complete kit (~15 lbs with water + snacks). The hikes ensured I was accustom to the zero drop (for me it meant no heal) and got a general sense of the shoe. So with approximately 20+ miles in I felt ready. After ~40 miles I changed up the lacing on one shoe to get a feel for the enhanced arch support those holes offered. For me, I could feel the difference and was indifferent so I left them alone. While on the trail I could feel every rock underfoot big and small. Some may find this trail surface fidelity comforting, I’m not sure. I forced myself to think of it as a foot massage. After 9 days and 80+ miles of Camino hiking I noticed the tread showing clear signs of wear, the letters on the bottom are pretty much gone except for a “T” and an “r”, also color has broken through the knobs. With more than 420 miles to go and the current level of wear I don’t think these shoes would have made it to Santiago. I’m not sure if the projected failure would have been because the shoe was being used in a way that is outside the intended use case (on the Camino) or for some other reason, like I was walking in them heavy, my pack was ~15 lbs. I find them to be stylish (I have gray), I like how the laces catch and seem to lock into each other and don’t come undone. I like the back lip and flexibility material so I can kick them off at the end of the day. Overall for me I liked them, for the way I am with them, I think they are best for lite duty trail travel with minimal additional weight. I don’t think the tread will last that long approximately 100 to 200 miles, after that or some time after 175 I would expect to start to see a hole appear. Still it is a very comfortable shoe for groomed trails that lack rocks or objects of that nature.
Thank you!

If your wondering about if to use the Lone Peaks or not, this question tells me you have probably not done any of the Camino’s yet. That shoe is great for the Pacific Crest trail or on soft dirt trails. Camino’s no matter which has mostly black top, cement or gravel trails with short sections of actually dirt paths. I am currently on the Del Norte using the Olympus 5. I used the same Olympus last year on the Del Norte putting in 1000 km with them. The extra cushion is essential on these hard surfaces. At about 300 km, the cushion gets worn down some but adequate enough. My feet don’t seem to fit in any hola that isn’t some godly bright color so I’m using these Ultra’s. Also not crazy about the zero drop but the shoe and arch support and vibrim sole is pretty good. I’m putting the full length Norte then the Porto to Santiago Camino’s now on these Olympus 5 so time will tell how they hold up. At 180 km I just started developing a squeak in one of the shoes for the last 2 days but today it has stopped. Also trying the gortex version this year which are heavier than the non gortex but still no heavier than a lightweight boot. Stick to max cushion for any Camino and you’ll enjoy the way much more. Just my 2 cents ;)
Thank you. I'll probably try the Olympus next and see how they do.

I see that these shoes have a loyal and enthusiastic following!

I’ve tried really hard with flat shoes (ie small heel to toe drop) and just can’t get them to work. My knees just hurt too much. I ended up having to pack the shoes out with insoles, which means that eventually my heel came loose.

So - can I ask the opposite question? Anyone got recommendations for shoes/boots with greater heel to toe drop?
Brooks Cascadia, ASICS & Salomon Speedcross all have 10mm drops and if you trade out the insoles for, say, a good Superfeet you may find that one of the three are good for you. My experience with the Brooks Cascadia was that it was super comfortable but it broke down super quick (three months of everyday use), I also ran with the Salomon Speedcross and found that it was WAY too rigid and I couldn't feel the terrain the way I like and I had incessant blisters, so no bueno.

Why?

But others love them!

La Sportiva. Too narrow.

Robo, It would give me absolute satisfaction to help you on your shoe quest and I have an idea that may work for you: Norda.

Like you, for me, Salomon too rigid,

Altra - no good for my super high arch,

La Sportiva like the Salomon the new design is too rigid and, yep, narrow,

Hoka - my foot bounced around - they just weren't stable enough for me and just when I was about to settle the heavens parted and the W's Norda 001 fell from the sky. Ok, I did some research the heavens didn't part, but I know you get the idea. If you can find them in your neck of the woods they may be just what you are looking for. Tell them Jessica sent you and they will have absolutely no idea who sent you.

I hiked camino frances this June from SJPP to Santiago. I started with the Altra Lone Peak and here's my summary:
  • only trained in them for a month (up to ten miles)
  • loved them while training - they were so comfortable
  • got terrible foot pain within a couple of days after starting the camino
  • it got worse and worse (mostly in my toes and ball of my foot) - each night I would lay in bed with my feet screaming at me...
  • never got blisters while wearing (wore injinji toe socks without liners and used foot glide every morning before putting on socks)
  • i switched back to my Merrill's which I brought as back up - not a good solution
  • bought a new pair of Scarpa in Burgos (they were the best I could find although I tried them on during a rest day where my feet were not as swollen)
  • they were terrible and started giving me blisters instantly
  • walked in my cheap hiking sandals with socks until I got to Leon
  • bought Altra Timp 4 and they were amazing!
  • finished the walk in them with no more foot pain and no more blisters
I love my Altra Timp 4 and will use them for long distance walking from now on. Hope this helps and buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love the Altra's as well. I did have a terrible time with the stones/gravel along sections of the Frances earlier this year. The bottoms of my feet were taking a beating. In Sahagun, I saw the Pilgrim Feet Store. Went in, described the issue and walked out with some cushioned insoles that were a game changer. I know others may have differing opinions, but this was my reality. (64 years old in great shape for an old guy.)

Planning for the Portuguese and Mt Kilimanjaro in 2023, I will be wearing the latest version of Lone Peak or Timp and will have insoles in reserve.

Buen Camino!
Where is this Pilgrim Feet Store in Sahagun?

I am using Altra Olympus 4 with zero drop (front to back) but thicker cushioning than other Altra models. The insole I use is called "Sole". It is an excellent insole and is also zero drop. I deliberately went with Hoka Speedgoats first, because with only 4 millimetre drop, it eased me into the zero drop Altras without problems. The Altra Olympus 4 has gaiter rings on the front and velcro gaiter attachments on the rear and work well with Dirty Girl gaiters to keep sand, dirt, small gravel out of the shoes, and to keep the shoes a bit drier on rainy days. Edit: Altra also distribute their own gaiters, but these do not seem to measure up to the Dirty Girl gaiters.
Hi there! I have the Speedgoats which of course are like walking on marshmallows...ahhh...and I have the Altra Lone Pine which has the wonderfully wide toe bed, but hard heel/sole. Since you mentioned both Hoka and Altra, would you say that the Altra Olympus 4 would be the perfect combination of Hoka heel/sole comfort and the Altra wide toe bed comfort. Basically I'm looking for the child of a Hoka/Altra union (LOL!).

Hi there! I have the Speedgoats which of course are like walking on marshmallows...ahhh...and I have the Altra Lone Pine which has the wonderfully wide toe bed, but hard heel/sole. Since you mentioned both Hoka and Altra, would you say that the Altra Olympus 4 would be the perfect combination of Hoka heel/sole comfort and the Altra wide toe bed comfort. Basically I'm looking for the child of a Hoka/Altra union (LOL!).
haha I think I want that child too. Ihave adjusted to walking in the Lone Peaks and agree toe box is awesome but It doesn't have enough cushion for me to walk the Camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think they would be the perfect child in that regard. I am currently on the Portuguese Caminho a few stages north of Lisboa. It's been a bit tough I'll admit
(being 79), but the one thing I'm NOT having problems with, is my feet. I guess that's two things. LOL. I have happy feet.
I'm also happy that my AWESOME albergue tonight has a pool, and I'm the only one here. They are expecting no one else. They said the would cook me a nice dinner any time I want, and breakfast any time I want in the morning. It is Casa das Portas on about stage 4. It is listed under Azinhaga, Port., but in reality is before Azinhaga on the edge of the town of Pombalinho. Full disclosure: I have no involvement with this place other than being a happy customer. Sorry, off topic. Back to my Altra Olympus, I almost laugh when I look down at my feet while walking. They look almost look like clown shoes, because the toebox is so wide. And the cushioning is so thick, what's not to like?

I think they would be the perfect child in that regard. I am currently on the Portuguese Caminho a few stages north of Lisboa. It's been a bit tough I'll admit
(being 79), but the one thing I'm NOT having problems with, is my feet. I guess that's two things. LOL. I have happy feet.
I'm also happy that my AWESOME albergue tonight has a pool, and I'm the only one here. They are expecting no one else. They said the would cook me a nice dinner any time I want, and breakfast any time I want in the morning. It is Casa das Portas on about stage 4. It is listed under Azinhaga, Port., but in reality is before Azinhaga on the edge of the town of Pombalinho. Full disclosure: I have no involvement with this place other than being a happy customer. Sorry, off topic. Back to my Altra Olympus, I almost laugh when I look down at my feet while walking. They look almost look like clown shoes, because the toebox is so wide. And the cushioning is so thick, what's not to like?
In regards to my posting just above about the Altra Olympus, I did replace the factory insole with a Sole brand zero drop insole with some arch support. If you put a good replacement insole into these Altra Olympus, you would need to ensure that the replacement is a Wide, to fill that WIDE toebox . I needed it to be Wide for my Altra Olympus, but regular (not wide) for my Hoka Speedboats

I wore Lone Peaks for several years. Now I wear Hoka Challenger. They're like walking on clouds. My feet still hurt after a lot of miles, but that's to be expected, especially walking on Roman roads.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my Altra Lone Peaks... but for the Camino Portuguese, man, I wish I would have brought a pair of shoes with more cushioning.
Lone peaks are great for trail walking, off road walking, and even rocky ground is fine; but on concrete for extended periods of time (which you will get on the Portuguese) they really are not the best. You do you, but please consider taking a pair of shoes with more cushioning - either as a replacement or an addition.

Feet are so individual! I used to prefer a very thin sole to really feel the ground. But no, at my age (68) I find I need more shoe sole to prevent strain. This time I settled on Oboz mid height. They have a nice wide toe box with a narrow heel. Not wanting the arch support in the Oboz, I used a floppy old pair of inserts with no support from an old pair of walkers. The perfect combo. Nice thick cushioned Darn Tough socks and I had no blisters or foot pain. But that’s ME. Everyone is different.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my Altra Lone Peaks... but for the Camino Portuguese, man, I wish I would have brought a pair of shoes with more cushioning.
Lone peaks are great for trail walking, off road walking, and even rocky ground is fine; but on concrete for extended periods of time (which you will get on the Portuguese) they really are not the best. You do you, but please consider taking a pair of shoes with more cushioning - either as a replacement or an addition.
I am a Altra fan I hike in them regularly on trail. For the Portuguese we switched up to Hoka Stinsons which great on hard surfaces like pavement and cobble stone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am a Altra fan I hike in them regularly on trail. For the Portuguese we switched up to Hoka Stinsons which great on hard surfaces like pavement and cobble stone.
I'm just experimenting with Hoka Stinsons for my next walk, so far impressed with the plush feel under foot which would have been an ideal antidote for Portuguese cobbles, my only reservation would be not as much feedback as my Altra Olympus which I would prefer on uneven terrain. I am considering taking both pairs as the next walk is 1000 miles +.

I'm just experimenting with Hoka Stinsons for my next walk, so far impressed with the plush feel under foot which would have been an ideal antidote for Portuguese cobbles, my only reservation would be not as much feedback as my Altra Olympus which I would prefer on uneven terrain. I am considering taking both pairs as the next walk is 1000 miles +.
The Hokas are a really good trail shoe too. It is getting use to non-zero gravity shoes. I put 500+ miles on my first Hokas. and have my second pair. They are good for on and off trail. My wife and I are combining 3 Comino walks this spring and are planning on wearing Hokas. We will be walking about 1000 miles. Probably carrying a second pair or arranging our children to mail the second pair before we need them.

The Hokas are a really good trail shoe too. It is getting use to non-zero gravity shoes. I put 500+ miles on my first Hokas. and have my second pair. They are good for on and off trail. My wife and I are combining 3 Comino walks this spring and are planning on wearing Hokas. We will be walking about 1000 miles. Probably carrying a second pair or arranging our children to mail the second pair before we need them.
I am getting used to the Stinsons, they're just quite a different feel to the Altras. If all goes to plan I should be doing the Via Francigena starting in Canterbury so I have the winter to decide on footwear.
Best of luck with 3 Camino's.
Curious to know which ones?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We start by walking The Jesus Trail in Israel, then fly to Florence t o walk The St Francis Way to Rome and last we are walking the Camino Frances from StJean for the second time.

We start by walking The Jesus Trail in Israel, then fly to Florence t o walk The St Francis Way to Rome and last we are walking the Camino Frances from StJean for the second time.
Now that's impressive, I'll just miss you in Italy , starting the VF in April . I did the Frances in October from St jean, prices are going up in the albergues...

I scrolled through and didn't see anyone respond..Are you using all the shoelace holes? I have noticed people don't use the last hole and for me it's a must as I don't want my feet to slip around in the shoe which will cause blisters and on down hills the constant blunt force can cause toe nail issues.
Rubbing causes blisters which means that "the shoe don't fit".

I starting wearing Altra running shoes years ago and I wear Lone Peaks for trail hiking ...I don't want a shoe I have to "break in". If I can't go out and run 6 miles then the shoe is not for me. There are so many great shoes on the market, good luck to everyone finding the one the fits the best...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just finished Camino Portuguese from Lisbon wearing my Lone Peak 6 hikers and they worked great for me (I went one full size up). The zero drop is not for everybody, but it works for me as not as much pressure is on my metatarsals, but definitely slowly get your body use to them if you are not use to zero drops. They don't have as much cushion as other shoes (and the Camino Portuguese is not known for its gentle surfaces), but I found the combination of the Altra with the Sidas Max Protect insole worked perfectly - I did replace the insoles as they compressed - I think I went through 3 pairs of the Sidas during the walk. Shoes are such an individual thing, but whatever shoe you end up with remember to wear them some with your pack during training - feet do some crazy stuff when you carry weight day after day :) Just a tip - on days when my feet decided to swell more, I would stop at a grocery store and get a 40 euro cent pack of frozen vegetables and put them on my feet for a bit, worked wonders.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.