• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peregrina finishes Finisterre to Jerusalem journey!

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A remarkable story I just read about a young Spanish woman's journey from Finisterre to Jerusalem via Rome.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you read Guy Stagg's book "The Crossway"? Canterbury to Jerusalem via Rome, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon and Cyprus. An extraordinary journey for many reasons.
No, but I will look for it.

Found it in electronic format and downloaded. Thank you!

It would make a great book, if she can write.

I am sorely in need of more books in the style of Patrick Leigh Fermor, Laurie Lee and John Hillaby.
I’m also a PLF and Laurie Lee fan.

Writers in a similar style (never use one adjective where six will do) in my travel library include:

Bruce Chatwin (eclectic travel)
Redmond O’Hanlon (Arduous adventure travel)
William Dalrymple (contemporary and historical India)
Peter Hopkirk (Central Asia 19th century)

The travel section, chez Henrythedog

Attachments

• 9A6F564A-8D30-4625-BD45-57087D3B6C1D.jpeg
    9A6F564A-8D30-4625-BD45-57087D3B6C1D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
And Dervla Murphy (Hard as nails solo travel)

Also check out a publisher ‘Eland Books’. Superb range (they’re the obvious red and white books in the centre shelves of my travel section)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read "Into The Heart Of Borneo" many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I wasn't very surprised to learn that when O'Hanlon suggested another jungle expedition together James Fenton's reply was that he wouldn't go as far as High Wycombe with him again :)

A remarkable story I just read about a young Spanish woman's journey from Finisterre to Jerusalem via Rome.

Thank you for sharing. A new goal of mine!

I’m also a PLF and Laurie Lee fan.

Writers in a similar style (never use one adjective where six will do) in my travel library include:

Bruce Chatwin (eclectic travel)
William Dalrymple (contemporary and historical India)
Peter Hopkirk (Central Asia 19th century)

The travel section, chez Henrythedog
I noted Dervla Murphy there as well. She inspired me to think I could do solo cycle touring. Thanks for sharing your photo.
Ena

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you're a PLF fan try Nick Hunt's Walking the Woods and the Water. He traces PLF's footsteps across Europe to Istanbul in 2011.

Some years ago I came across Bernard Ollivier's account Longue Marche - in 3 volumes he tells the story of his walk across the entire Old Silk Route from Istanbul to Xian over four summers. I read it in French as it wasn't available in translation. He is a retired French journalist and uses proceeds from his book sales to fund long hiking trips with young offenders - including on the Camino de Santiago. (In fact this was where I first came across the Camino!)
Doing a little research ahead of writing this post, I was excited to read that the books are now available in English. I still love his original writing, but it's great that they are now accessible to a much wider audience. Check it out - you won't regret it.
Here's a review of the first volume - you'll easily find the others... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40966035-out-of-istanbul

EDIT: Here's another review, with an excerpt from each (English) volume ... https://intervalsignals.wordpress.c...ers-silk-road-travel-narrative-longue-marche/

Last edited:
What a fun thread! I have now stocked my library requests for a plethora of the above mentioned gems.
If I can't be out walking, I will be in - reading about walking!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As I have mentioned elsewhere, since my camino there was little time for long walks, so as a part substitute I have done a lot of reading about long walks...
Thank you for pointing out Bernard Olivier's books - I will definitely look into them.
To all the PLF fans I would like to recommend Michael O'Sullivan's book Noble Encounters between Budapest and Transsylvania. While Nick Hunt walked in PLF's footsteps and gave a fantastic glimpse into what the "route" has become, O'Sullivan offers fascinating background in "the walk" - historical, political, etc...

To those who love reading about walking, I cannot recommend enough a recent two-volume story about an "epic" walk from Calabria to Nordkapp - by Andrew Terrill - The Earth Beneath My Feet and On Sacred Ground. Very well walked and very well written.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.