• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peregrina in wheelchair robbed near Melide

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An experienced peregrina who uses a wheelchair for her journeys was robbed on Thursday morning close to Melide. Despite that she intends to complete her pilgrimage to Santiago if possible.

What can we say? There are desperate and evil people. We can only hope she will be looked after and whoever it was robbed her can square the 100 euros he stole with what is left of his conscience.

What can we say? There are desperate and evil people. We can only hope she will be looked after and whoever it was robbed her can square the 100 euros he stole with what is left of his conscience.
I had a really bad fall a couple of weeks ago. I live two floors up and NO lift. The kindness of some friends and neighbours has been overwhelming. It took me 7hours by train to get to Blackpool and Dot . The passenger assistance service was superb and without them I would never have made it. Then my big sister died. I shall miss her beyond words. Dot and I are going to a children's Carol service and I shall pray for my fellow pilgrims especially the one who was robbed. She is a brave woman.
Vaya con Dios.
Samarkand
and Gracias to all those who step forward when needed

Samarkand

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Someone stole all of my money towards the end of the first week of my Way to Rome in 2000, and that was in a Franciscan Monastery.

It did take me about 15 minutes to get motivated again, and the thieves did at least work out some system to return my empty wallet to me, but at least my papers and so on, but it is a horrid experience, despite also being a learning experience.

But to steal from someone suffering from a major handicap is beyond the pale.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another article today is reporting the arrest of a local man for the theft - a resident of Palas de Rei.

google translation of first article for English only pilgrims:
Jema Sil faces her fifth pilgrimage to Santiago this year alone in a wheelchair. He started the Camino del Norte more than a month ago, which he later decided to link up with the Primitivo and connected with the French. "Years ago I spent a New Year's Eve on the Camino and it was wonderful, and this time I wanted to do it for Christmas," he explained yesterday. But this Thursday everything was cut short. It was eight in the morning and he was leaving Melide following the arrows. When he had rolled for a kilometer, in an area with many trees, a man approached him from behind. "He told me: 'Give me everything you have or you will never sit in the chair again.' Then he knocked over my chair and threw me out of it. I had a purse and I gave him what I was afraid of: 100 euros and some coins," she said, still very nervous.

This 49-year-old Galician pilgrim —who now resides in A Coruña but lived in many places outside Galicia—, once she managed to get up, she returned to Melide to go to the health center, notified the local police and details that she denounced the facts before the Civil Guard. She has extensive experience on the Camino - "I have many compostelas" -, and she pointed out that it is the first time that she has suffered a robbery. «I had already passed through here years ago and nothing had ever happened to me. Nor did I ever think that when I left town they would rob me. It could be in the middle of the Camino, but as soon as you leave Melide... », she detailed from Santa Irene (O Pino) under a wooden structure in which she had decided to take shelter to spend the night. She explained that she could see few details of the man and that was what she transferred to the Civil Guard, trusting that they would find him because she could be at any other point on the route.

The robbery, she added, she left her without money since her card did not work at ATMs that she found — "in Santiago there are my cashiers" —. She spent the night from Thursday to Friday in Arzúa, where a person she knew paid for her hostel. "I spent the night without sleep. And today when I went out into the street I was in a panic, I didn't want to get on the Camino, so I did it directly by road », she pointed out. "They tell me: 'Go home', but how am I going to do it if I can't take a taxi, or a bus, and all I can do is keep rolling?" She explained that she does not want help for it either: «I would not have accepted that they take me. It's my road and I have to roll it. [...] I was afraid to continue, but my mother and my God give me strength». She doesn't know if she will arrive in Santiago today or tomorrow. Of course, she warns people who make the pilgrimage alone to be on alert and asks that vigilance on the Jacobean route be also intense during the winter. "My dream was to spend Christmas on the Camino and they have taken it away from me," she declared.

An experienced peregrina who uses a wheelchair for her journeys was robbed on Thursday morning close to Melide. Despite that she intends to complete her pilgrimage to Santiago if possible.

Jeez.. thats pretty low .. robbing someone , in wheel chair ! And a Pilgrim !
That kind ,hmm.. not the Spaniards I know.
Hope she was not physically hurt in any way, now, hoping and wishing her pleasant walk On the Camino.
Cheers and Merry Christmas to all !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You know, back in the day, I was a teacher at a maximum security penitentiary - some of the most dangerous people in society. Those who committed crimes against the old and the compromised could not be released into even that prison population. The murderers and armed robbers wouldn’t accept that level of crime among them. Those prisoners of heinous crimes, some of whom I got to know, had to live in isolation. The pain inside those inmates is indescribable. It’s not uncommon for them to be suicidal, which happened.
Nonetheless, my heart goes to you in your wheelchair. I was robbed of my paper identity and possessions by 3 experienced thugs in the Paris underground while catching the train to the the Francés 4 or 5 years ago. It took an hour or two before I realized the best remedy was to walk on. But this doesn’t hold a candle to what you’ve experienced. Be brave. Know that the souls of any pilgrims reading this thread are with you as you continue life’s journey.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...lla-ruedas-melide/00031671882860671304164.htm

This Friday, the Roca team of the Guardia Civil of Santiago and the station of Melide arrested in Monterroso the author of the robbery of a pilgrim in a wheelchair at the outskirts of the town of Melide. After the complaint was made, the Guardia Civil began an investigation and located the perpetrator in a hostel.

The perpetrator is a man who lives in Palas de Rei and already has a record for similar crimes. A few months ago he was arrested in Melide for robberies with violence of elderly people in the vicinity of banks. He would follow them as they left the bank and snatch their purses. Some of the victims suffered serious injuries and the court ordered him to be sent to prison.

The detainee had only just been released from prison a few days before committing the crime currently under investigation. The Guardia Civil arrested him as the perpetrator of the crime and this Saturday he was taken to court and has already been remanded in prison.

The robbery took place on Thursday morning at the exit of Melide. Jema Sil had started her stage in a wheelchair and when she had rolled a kilometre, in an area where there were many trees, a man approached her from behind and said: "Give me everything you have or you will never sit in the chair again".

👿

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unfortunately, bad things can happen to good people anywhere, at any time, even on the Camino. There really is no "safe" place anywhere, but it is particularly sad and egregious when it happens to someone so vulnerable. What a cowardly thing to do! I'm glad the perpetrator was apprehended, and I hope he gets the justice he deserves. More importantly, I am glad Ms. Sil did not suffer any serious injuries. I hope she is able to complete her journey, in what is otherwise such a beautiful country filled with such beautiful people. Buen Camino and Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Justice and incarceration: yes. But surely the most important thing is that this man is prevented from doing this again.
Prison didn’t deter him from preying on the vulnerable.
‘Rehabilitation’, for want of a better word, is the only way to turn this man around.
Locking people up, to protect the rest of us from their evil actions, cannot work on its own. It is so wasteful - of every resource I can think of: spiritual, emotional, physical, of life itself.

Thank heavens Jema Sil wasn’t badly injured - the shock must have been dreadful.
I’ll light a candle for her ..
and another for the redemption of her cruel attacker.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi All, Happy New Year!

I wanted to ask how the pilgrim in the wheelchair, made out after the robbery. I haven't seen any posts about it.

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Happy and safe 2023 to all walking now/ planning a Camino. Thanks Ivar for all your hard work.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back