• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peregrination and Bone Density

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
I just got my results of a biennial bone density scan and was totally delighted (and surprised) at the results.
The background is that I take a medication that can cause osteoporosis--and in previous years the numbers had been in alarming freefall (after having higher than average baseline density).
But after 2 years in a row of walking the Camino...voila! Not only has the freefall reversed itself but the numbers are almost back to what they were before I started the medication.
I know very well that with a sample size of 1 I can say anything I please...and my conclusion may be correct or it may be dead wrong. So I wonder--have others have had a similar experience?
If I'm right, maybe I can get a prescription from my doctor for a yearly long walk??? o_O:p

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I recall, I was once told that small, repeated impact helps rebuild bone. Small repeated impact such as ... Walking :). So that would make perfect sense. I had one of those tests after breaking a foot in the silliest of ways. Turns out the test shows density but not bone quality. So apparently my density is good, but they don't know if the material itself is any good o_O.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, Greyland:)
Anemone, food for thought and further investigation...
So it got me looking at the science (thank you, PubMed!)--and what studies seem to show is that walking increases bone density in the hip but not necessarily the spine or elsewhere--and not always much. But that was only walking not what we do, with packs on our backs. I'll believe my own experience, for what it's worth....

For anyone who's interested, here's an article in plain English that sums up the statistical gobbledygook pretty well:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/building-up-bones-with-a-little-bashing/
Anyone out there want to do a study of peregrinos? :D
[Edit...there's a fascinating world of studies of people who walk the Appalachian and Pacific Crest trails, and the medical effects of long-distance hiking. Proving that it's pack weight, not footwear, that is correlated with injury. We knew that. But nothing about bone density....]

Last edited:
A few years ago I was on a particular medical treatment which I could only use for a short period because it could cause thinning of the bones. My doc and nurse suggested I walk as much as possible to counteract it. Due to other problems I had to stop taking it but I remember the advice. I have not had any bone density scans since though but I liked the idea of walking to strengthen the bones as well as muscles - the nurse called walking 'the best insurance policy for old age'.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

From my own history of stress fracture, I would recommend (re-)building your bone density before walking the Camino.
For instance, walking 30 or 45 mn daily during several months. Further reinforcement on the Camino will then run smooth...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In "Antifragile" Nassim Nicholas Taleb offers an interesting hypothesis that it's not aging that causes brittle bones but brittle bones that accelerate aging. If the hypothesis is correct, Camino makes us antifragile in many ways.

Victoria

Congrats with the good results.
Incidentally you might treat your body with vitamin D3 and Calcium, but the right kind of calcium in the form of Tricalciumcitrat and Calciumhydroxid. If you choose a product that furthermore contains K2 you will up your chance of additional calcium to your bonestructure.
But I cannot blame you for just rejoicing in the results you have already obtained !!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Stivandrer. I do take Calcuim Citrate/Magnesioun/Vitamin D.
And my GP has just informed me that it must be taken twice daily...not once, as I (and many others) do.
Anyway...another reason to keep walking!

Thank you Stivandrer. I do take Calcuim Citrate/Magnesioun/Vitamin D.
And my GP has just informed me that it must be taken twice daily...not once, as I (and many others) do.
Anyway...another reason to keep walking!
Good; you take the Solaray!
Nice to hear that you are on the mend and yes walking give us the small bumps from the road taht benefit the growth of bone material...
Had the same remedie after my cancer with the prospects of long medication that could ruin my bones.
But as we are doing fine, let us keep on trotting...
See ya down the road apiece !!

Had the same remedie after my cancer with the prospects of long medication that could ruin my bones.
But as we are doing fine, let us keep on trotting...
I'm very glad you're OK...and hope it is so for a long time!
I have the same situation, but all is well...and the trotting obviously helps keep the side-effects at bay!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm hoping the camino strengthened my bones. had a hip problem that I thought would cause trouble when walking (was due to be operated on). Had pain in many places but the hip was fine! What I did find was that I had heart issues (kept missing a beat.). On returning home I consulted a therapist who suggested taking magnesium. I did, and this not only sorted the heart issue, but sorted the problem I'd been having on the camino with a weak pelvic floor....(the times I nearly didn't make it to the loo in time!) I reckon that I had these issues because I became deficient in magnesium and that this deficiency was caused by the intensity of the walking. I was making new muscles, and new bone perhaps too, and needed extra vitamins and minerals to do this. I also think that there's a detox effet with the amount you sweat which in my case lead me to feel quite clean and healthy after my walk but made me crave salt, and sugar during the walk.

Anna, thanks for the heads-up about the importance of magnesiom.
I'm guessing that all minerals are needed in extra supply when we walk and sweat as we do on the Camino...it certainly feels that way physically. As you say...salt cravings. On the Camino I give myself complete permission to eat anything I want...which usually means salty and oily. Pimentos de Padron, lots of Cafe con Leche and eggs almost every day...and even with all that my cholesterol went down too.
The walking, the walking. It is a miracle cure!
(Edited for spelling..)

been sitting round a fire tonight talking about our camino experience and I've learned that it was customary for the Huitchol indians to go on a pilgrimage each year. Now there's a custom we could all benefit from! The NHS could save millions if we all walked again.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.