• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Perfect shirt for non-walking spouses

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hopefully there's also a women's version.

View attachment 84311
That is Christmas sorted for my better half. It would be so sad if there is no female equivalent but no surprise. Did you see that the makers of the Australian Women's National Football team had not made the shirts in women's sizes for fans.....unbelievable.

It's not fair!
No it isn't fair, but more to the point it's playing into the conventional sexist claptrap. I have spent my entire adult life fighting sexism, both overt and unthinking, and I am tired of seeing the same old sexist stuff still turning up. Women still earn less than men in most places around the world, we are less likely to get promotion, as a result we have smaller pensions and are more likely to be poor in our old age. We are judged on our appearance before anything we do or achieve. We are taught by society to be afraid, to be quiet, not to argue, to defer to men in all things. No matter how hard we try to push against the system it is still rigged against us all the way through.

Can i ask people not to buy these things if they don't offer a female equivalent? Because unless people make a fuss things won't change.

Takes a deep breath. Sorry to rant, 60 years of anger does that for you sometimes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
it's playing into the conventional sexist claptrap. I have spent my entire adult life fighting sexism, both overt and unthinking
I've had my own brushes with sexist claptrap over the years, but I didn't view this shirt as such. I thought it was more a commentary on marriage and how many people think spouses need to be glued at the hip.
Takes a deep breath. Sorry to rant, 60 years of anger does that for you sometimes.
Take another deep breath. There is hope. You might find relief when you get into your 70s! ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've had my own brushes with sexist claptrap over the years, but I didn't view this shirt as such. I thought it was more a commentary on marriage and how many people think spouses need to be glued at the hip.

Take another deep breath. There is hope. You might find relief when you get into your 70s! ;)
I thought that @Moorwalker thought that it was sexist that there isn't (that we know of) a version depicting a female hiker.

I thought that @Moorwalker thought that it was sexist that there isn't (that we know of) a version depicting a female hiker.
Yes, but at risk of being sexist, how many men do you know who would be interested in wearing that shirt, if one were manufactured?

I had to stop and think twice or thrice to straighten out who was being sexist to whom, in what way, when I read the shirts and comments. But the comment on marriage was very clear to me right away.

Spouse and I each want a shirt for each other. But there shall never be such shirts for each other

For though we long for the freedom that we would gladly grant each other, there are three sets of needs that we have no say in and cannot waver from: our adult child with a set of complex disabilities that can prevent anyone from being away from home at all for months and months at a time, one mother with complex health needs, and another mother with dementia.

As we are both Gen-X only children, there's nobody else rely on except for each other.

And so, wishing for our freedom carries the uncomfortable cadence of wishing these other lives away... and we certainly do not wish those other lives away.

So I hope that those with the freedom to wander unimpeded remember that it is not that they have better marriages than the rest of us, but just less complicated responsibilities.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hope I didn't imply that! I was thinking more along the lines that many of our marriages are not between kindred spirits; we need to get comfortable with that and find compromises, in order to stay together at all.

It was the "glued at the hip" comment that struck a nerve.... Every few years we do manage to find a way for the other spouse to go away on a camino, or a few weeks in the deep bush... but we long to be able to enjoy such pleasures glued at the hip and never will unless something terrible should befall the child.

At any rate... because we are sometimes separated for long periods because of work, or a need for respite from the other challenges, people read us as "not supportive of each other" -- and so I get that part of the shirt (hence my pleasure in it), but that we would sometimes rather enjoy the world together than separately is just as wished for as the respect for doing things apart.

When I hope to be able to take another camino with Spouse, I am also hoping for my mother and my child to be well enough to care for each other for 2 and a half weeks. Alternately, for the child to be well enough to travel with us as he used to when he was young. And I am grateful that Spouse does not begrudge me the trip I plan with my step-sister when I drop to half-time work in 2023.

Ah.... our lives and their realities... so hard to capture in a pithy t-shirt, no?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back