• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Perfect socks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My favourite socks, 2 layers, great for preventing blisters now comes in a Camino version!
I've got two pair. :) I wore the ankle length white version of the Wright two layer socks on my last Camino (Frances, July/August) because I thought they would be cooler and I tend to get a heat rash on my legs under socks in really hot weather. But I'll be taking these with me on my Camino Portugues in October.

Don't put too much reliance on them being blister-proof, though. I got a few blisters and my son (also wearing the Wright double layer socks) got many terrible blisters.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wright socks are my favourites as well. For colder weather, I use SmartWool socks, but on the Camino the lighter Wright socks were more comfortable.

I wore Wright socks as well. First hiking length and then bought pedi-socks when we were out of the mountains and it got warmer. Took several combinations of socks and ended up only using the Wright socks. I did have and used one pair of heavy wool socks that were wonderful when it was wet and cold.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i bought socks made of Llama wool on-line. Midweight, just above ankle. took 2 pairs. They dried over-night without a problem. Much softer than any of the Smart Wool or other socks in the stores. No blister despite soft untrained feet. I only did the last 300k from Leon, however. They show no wear -- Likely would hold up for another 600 or so: maybe not more.

I've got two pair. :) I wore the ankle length white version of the Wright two layer socks on my last Camino (Frances, July/August) because I thought they would be cooler and I tend to get a heat rash on my legs under socks in really hot weather. But I'll be taking these with me on my Camino Portugues in October.

Don't put too much reliance on them being blister-proof, though. I got a few blisters and my son (also wearing the Wright double layer socks) got many terrible blisters.

I have to agree with you David that the Wright socks are not blister proof (even though they claim that they are on their website). I wore the double layer adventure socks when I did the Camino Frances last year and let's just say that my feet ended up a little worse for wear for a while there. So blister proof socks? Nope!
But the socks are very cushioned and comfortable (if not for the blisters).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can't wear wool (even Merino wool) so found double layer socks by Wrightsock.

Can't wear wool (even Merino wool) so found double layer socks by Wrightsock.

Does anyone know of a sock that is genuinely quick drying that will dry overnight?
For my French way Camino I bought socks online that were advertised as Quick-drying. In reality they took about two day to dry. On my Portuguese I took wool and they took about the same time.
I am commencing the Primitivo in late august and I would like to keep my weight to a minimum and take only two pairs of socks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How about lama if you are allergic to sheeps wool. i bought some knee socks in Ecuador. They felt so nice i bought ankle height ones on-line before hiking the camino last year. Nary a blister and so soft on my feet.

I definitely wouldn't put them in the dryer. I washed them out each day on the Camino by hand. Rinsed well and then rung out several times until i could get no more water out while they were inside my travel towel. This was September and they were usually dry by 7 or 8.

One of the advantages of my sandals - I don't have to wash socks every night!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, it did take two days of soaking in the hot thermal springs at Ourense to get them clean.

Darn Tough socks are guaranteed for life. If you get a hole in them you just send them back and they will send you a new pair. I won't have to ever buy another pair of socks.

i bought socks made of Llama wool on-line. Midweight, just above ankle. took 2 pairs. They dried over-night without a problem. Much softer than any of the Smart Wool or other socks in the stores. No blister despite soft untrained feet. I only did the last 300k from Leon, however. They show no wear -- Likely would hold up for another 600 or so: maybe not more.

Hi Julie,

I plan to walk from Astorga in September. Please can you tell me how long did it take you from Leon to Santiago? How many kilometres per day on average?

Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Julie,

I plan to walk from Astorga in September. Please can you tell me how long did it take you from Leon to Santiago? How many kilometres per day on average?

Thank you.
I was recovering from surgery on two toes and have a bad hip. I walked slow. So about 24 days to cover the 300 k. Somedays i only walked 5. One day 22 and then i needed a rest day. I didnt do that again.

I have always been a fan of Wigwam socks for my Caminos. They were recommended by a Triple Crown holder who hiked the full three 2000+ mile long distance hikes in the USA; the AT, CDT, and the PCT. If they were good enough for him, they are good enough for me! :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.