A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Perfect socks

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
My favourite socks, 2 layers, great for preventing blisters now comes in a Camino version!
I've got two pair. :) I wore the ankle length white version of the Wright two layer socks on my last Camino (Frances, July/August) because I thought they would be cooler and I tend to get a heat rash on my legs under socks in really hot weather. But I'll be taking these with me on my Camino Portugues in October.

Don't put too much reliance on them being blister-proof, though. I got a few blisters and my son (also wearing the Wright double layer socks) got many terrible blisters.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014), Camino Inca (2015), Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre (2018)
Wright socks are my favourites as well. For colder weather, I use SmartWool socks, but on the Camino the lighter Wright socks were more comfortable.

jo webber

Camino(s) past & future
Sept 9th 2017
I wore Wright socks as well. First hiking length and then bought pedi-socks when we were out of the mountains and it got warmer. Took several combinations of socks and ended up only using the Wright socks. I did have and used one pair of heavy wool socks that were wonderful when it was wet and cold.

Camino(s) past & future
in fall 2017
i bought socks made of Llama wool on-line. Midweight, just above ankle. took 2 pairs. They dried over-night without a problem. Much softer than any of the Smart Wool or other socks in the stores. No blister despite soft untrained feet. I only did the last 300k from Leon, however. They show no wear -- Likely would hold up for another 600 or so: maybe not more.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances walked in May to June 2017
Plans to walk Camino del Norte July to August 2019
I've got two pair. :) I wore the ankle length white version of the Wright two layer socks on my last Camino (Frances, July/August) because I thought they would be cooler and I tend to get a heat rash on my legs under socks in really hot weather. But I'll be taking these with me on my Camino Portugues in October.

Don't put too much reliance on them being blister-proof, though. I got a few blisters and my son (also wearing the Wright double layer socks) got many terrible blisters.
I have to agree with you David that the Wright socks are not blister proof (even though they claim that they are on their website). I wore the double layer adventure socks when I did the Camino Frances last year and let's just say that my feet ended up a little worse for wear for a while there. So blister proof socks? Nope!
But the socks are very cushioned and comfortable (if not for the blisters).

Camino(s) past & future
Can't wear wool (even Merino wool) so found double layer socks by Wrightsock.
Does anyone know of a sock that is genuinely quick drying that will dry overnight?
For my French way Camino I bought socks online that were advertised as Quick-drying. In reality they took about two day to dry. On my Portuguese I took wool and they took about the same time.
I am commencing the Primitivo in late august and I would like to keep my weight to a minimum and take only two pairs of socks.

Camino(s) past & future
in fall 2017
How about lama if you are allergic to sheeps wool. i bought some knee socks in Ecuador. They felt so nice i bought ankle height ones on-line before hiking the camino last year. Nary a blister and so soft on my feet.

I definitely wouldn't put them in the dryer. I washed them out each day on the Camino by hand. Rinsed well and then rung out several times until i could get no more water out while they were inside my travel towel. This was September and they were usually dry by 7 or 8.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese.
Well, it did take two days of soaking in the hot thermal springs at Ourense to get them clean.

hotelmedicis

Commercial Interests
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2001 (+more)
VDLP 2013, 2018
Darn Tough socks are guaranteed for life. If you get a hole in them you just send them back and they will send you a new pair. I won't have to ever buy another pair of socks.

Camino(s) past & future
September (2018)
i bought socks made of Llama wool on-line. Midweight, just above ankle. took 2 pairs. They dried over-night without a problem. Much softer than any of the Smart Wool or other socks in the stores. No blister despite soft untrained feet. I only did the last 300k from Leon, however. They show no wear -- Likely would hold up for another 600 or so: maybe not more.
Hi Julie,

I plan to walk from Astorga in September. Please can you tell me how long did it take you from Leon to Santiago? How many kilometres per day on average?

Thank you.

Camino(s) past & future
in fall 2017
Hi Julie,

I plan to walk from Astorga in September. Please can you tell me how long did it take you from Leon to Santiago? How many kilometres per day on average?

Thank you.
I was recovering from surgery on two toes and have a bad hip. I walked slow. So about 24 days to cover the 300 k. Somedays i only walked 5. One day 22 and then i needed a rest day. I didnt do that again.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I have always been a fan of Wigwam socks for my Caminos. They were recommended by a Triple Crown holder who hiked the full three 2000+ mile long distance hikes in the USA; the AT, CDT, and the PCT. If they were good enough for him, they are good enough for me! :)

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%