A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Perhaps my favourite day!

Camino(s) past & future
September - October 2016 Camino Frances
Sitting in the fading sun in Ruitelan listening to the river bubbling past. The walk out of Villafranca over the mountain this morning via Pradella was strenuous but we were rewarded being above the clouds, in the mist and chestnut groves. The descent was also long but the remainder of the day, although along some road (but mostly shaded) was amazing as we walked through one gorgeous village after another with the beautiful Rio Valcsrce always by our side. Any of the little villages before here would have been a lovely stopover.

Advertisment

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Wasn't it Winnie the Pooh that said

"Today - My favourite day!"

Glad you enjoy your Camino, say hello to the hospitaleros in Ruitelan from me! Buen Camino, SY

owms2323

Credential question
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Frances (2014) Camino Frances (2016) Camino Finisterre/Muxia (2017)
Will do!! Carlos is cooking dinner and it smells amazing!
That was my favorite day too. Very spiritual sitting by that river listening to the breeze ruffle the trees. Just lovely.

Advertisment

BonitaHolland

Camino(s) past & future
Starting 3rd Sep 2016
My favourite day was in Viana I arrived at 11.55 to find a high level of excitement in the centre as I searched for the auberge in the church which would open doors at 12.00, in a moment I heard that bulls would be running that day and the whole community was in a heightened state of anticipation with an evening of singing dancing and feasting to look forward to. I dumped my pack on a thin floor mat (I got the one partially under a table) up some steep stairs and hurried out to hide behind the church railings as the first young bulls rushed down the street. The next hour was incredible and I loved the atmosphere and tension in the young guys dressed in red and white running from the Bulls or in some cases chasing them! Later in the Aubergue we prepared dinner together and the town offered us a donation of Snail stew, I suppose I can say it tasted 'earthy' I had two servings! This was my best day- the night was another matter as sleeping under a stacked table on a thin mat I discovered that my hips were not as generously padded as I'd thought....

Camino(s) past & future
September - October 2016 Camino Frances
My favourite day was in Viana I arrived at 11.55 to find a high level of excitement in the centre as I searched for the auberge in the church which would open doors at 12.00, in a moment I heard that bulls would be running that day and the whole community was in a heightened state of anticipation with an evening of singing dancing and feasting to look forward to. I dumped my pack on a thin floor mat (I got the one partially under a table) up some steep stairs and hurried out to hide behind the church railings as the first young bulls rushed down the street. The next hour was incredible and I loved the atmosphere and tension in the young guys dressed in red and white running from the Bulls or in some cases chasing them! Later in the Aubergue we prepared dinner together and the town offered us a donation of Snail stew, I suppose I can say it tasted 'earthy' I had two servings! This was my best day- the night was another matter as sleeping under a stacked table on a thin mat I discovered that my hips were not as generously padded as I'd thought....
We must have been there almost at same time - we missed the Bulls running either by hours or one day. Would have been fantastic - what a unique experience!

J Willhaus

Camino(s) past & future
24 May 2016- 14 July CF
Hospitalero, Zamora Dec 15-31, 2017
I slept in that very same spot! Despite the limited comfort, staying there is one of our favorite Camino memories.

Dancing Rain

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Salvado (2017)
Camino Frances (2018)
We really enjoyed our stay in Viana, but we didn't have the drama you experienced. The parochial albergue was lovely, and with only four of us staying there we had multiple mattresses. We were told the previous night had been really crowded, an example of the unpredictable randomness of accomodation experiences!

BonitaHolland

Camino(s) past & future
Starting 3rd Sep 2016
image.jpeg
We really enjoyed our stay in Viana, but we didn't have the drama you experienced. The parochial albergue was lovely, and with only four of us staying there we had multiple mattresses. We were told the previous night had been really crowded, an example of the unpredictable randomness of accomodation experiences!
This is what you missed it was pretty exciting - although I could've done with missing the sleeping on the floor- lucky you having multiple mattresses!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Kiwi-family "LIVE" from the camino 7

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%