• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Permethrin or silicone spray?

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
I have been reading about using a silicone spray on my windbreaker and trail shoes. However, we currently permethrin these items. Using the silicone spray may nullify the effectiveness of the permethrin?If you use both...is there an effective way of applying both?

Second question. Permethrin supposedly lasts for six washes. If you wash your clothes every three days then the permethrin is really not effective after about 3 weeks? Anyone have anotherintervention along the route?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wondering why did you use permethrin on your wind breaker and shoes?

I can see outside of sleeping bag, on pack, on outside of hammock, etc.

But lost why on wind breaker?

Using silicone spray on jackets, shoes etc has questionable benefits.

One negative is trapping moisture.

Nothing like a good double dose of toxic substances.....

Wondering why did you use permethrin on your wind breaker and shoes?

I can see outside of sleeping bag, on pack, on outside of hammock, etc.

But lost why on wind breaker?

Using silicone spray on jackets, shoes etc has questionable benefits.

One negative is trapping moisture.

Nothing like a good double dose of toxic substances.....

Because I do not want Bedbugs to crawl in to my gear.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I do not want Bedbugs to crawl in to my gear.
Then enclose all your gear in a tightly closed bag at night, which is the time when bedbugs are usually most active. At other times, keep your gear well organized and perhaps enclosed most of the time, too. Don't leave things strewn about. If you need to hang one or 2 items at night, shake them and examine in the morning. Shoes kept out of the sleeping area (where bedbug dinner spends the night) are not likely to carry bedbugs, but I suppose it is possible. In the morning, put all your exposed sleeping gear into a closed bag(s) inside your pack for the day. If you don't develop any bites during the day, it is very likely that you were not exposed.

I sprayed my backpack, sleep sack, down blanket, and every cloth organizer that I packed my clothes and other things in with permethrin, in the hope that if a bedbug made its way into my pack it would be killed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Marbe2....

This is a product line which may just work better for your intended application. I have had very good results with it on a variety of fabrics. I find silicone type sprays to not be as effective.

Also, for bedbug critter protection, I just use a large utility bag to put my backpack into overnight. Your shoes, etc could also fit in. The next morning, I just grab the whole bag and carry it to the common area in order to do my fiddling around prior to leaving in order to keep my noise footprint to a dull roar :)

Hi, Marbe2....

This is a product line which may just work better for your intended application. I have had very good results with it on a variety of fabrics. I find silicone type sprays to not be as effective.

Also, for bedbug critter protection, I just use a large utility bag to put my backpack into overnight. Your shoes, etc could also fit in. The next morning, I just grab the whole bag and carry it to the common area in order to do my fiddling around prior to leaving in order to keep my noise footprint to a dull roar :)

Dave,from what I have read DWR and perrmethrin are not effective together?

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/81780/

You don't need permethrin on the clothes and shoes you will be wearing in the day time. Just put those in protected sacks. Also, I can't imagine walking in waterproof, non-breathable windbreaker and shoes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dave,from what I have read DWR and perrmethrin are not effective together?

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/81780/

Maybe, maybe not depending on what gets applied first and drying time, etc. I thought that if it was an either/or issue, that the utility bag alternative might help with the concern with bedbugs. :) I might also mention that while permethrin has some effectiveness with ticks and mosquitos, it does not repel bedbugs. It may have an insecticidal effect, but even that is not a certainty with the resistance that has been developing to permethrin and other pyrethroids in bedbugs.

Knock on madera.... did 4 caminos and not a single bed bug.
I did spray out side of pack, outside of sleeping bag, out side of hammock and all small packing type of bags that went into my pack.

Did all the things pointed out above about keeping bag in certain places and being careful.

IMHO I wouldn't spray wind breaker or shoes.

You can spray and spray. Be so careful.
And get bed bugs on the bus or train after your camino! They, from what I understand, love to hitch a ride. May move from bag to bag.
Or get them when on the bus...the seat you are sitting in.

Silicone on shoes... traps moisture in. And most likely won't last long anyway. I have never been a fan of silicone spraying things.

We permethrin spray all outer clothing, sleeping bag outer surface, pack outer surface. Never silicone anything. Every few years any breathable rain gear needs to be washed according to directions, and sprayed with the proper material such as NikWax https://www.rei.com/product/783563/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe, maybe not depending on what gets applied first and drying time, etc. I thought that if it was an either/or issue, that the utility bag alternative might help with the concern with bedbugs. :) I might also mention that while permethrin has some effectiveness with ticks and mosquitos, it does not repel bedbugs. It may have an insecticidal effect, but even that is not a certainty with the resistance that has been developing to permethrin and other pyrethroids in bedbugs.
I've given up trying to tell people about the ineffectiveness of Permethrin on bed bugs. People will continue to choose to believe whatever they want instead of doing actual research. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I try to steer away from harsh chemicals like Permethrin. Instead I carry a small vial of real lavender oil and a small empty spray bottle I got from Target/WalMart. Mix three to four drops of oil with a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottle...shake well (oil & water don't stay mixed ) and spray your bed, bedding, clothing and pack as well. You will smell better, sleep better and keep the bugs away. I've walked multiple caminos and never had a problem with bedbugs.

I try to steer away from harsh chemicals like Permethrin. Instead I carry a small vial of real lavender oil and a small empty spray bottle I got from Target/WalMart. Mix three to four drops of oil with a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottle...shake well (oil & water don't stay mixed ) and spray your bed, bedding, clothing and pack as well. You will smell better, sleep better and keep the bugs away. I've walked multiple caminos and never had a problem with bedbugs.

:) As with permethrin, there are drawbacks with a lot of things. Case in point: a lot of folks have problems with perfume smells from colognes, perfumes, essential oils, etc, and still others who have no sensitivities with them nonetheless find them objectionable, too.

There is no real measurable objective evidence that essential oils act as repellents despite anecdotal testimony to the contrary. I could safely point out that far more people, including myself, have never been bitten by bedbugs and have used nothing to repel them.

The beds and mattresses themselves should never be sprayed with anything.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.