• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Permethrin & Silk Liner

fjvjess

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015
1) Does permetrin leave any stain or discoloration on silk?
2) Is it necessary to treat both a sleeping bag and liner when aiming to avoid bed bugs?

A friend loaned me her barely used silk liner. I'd like to return it in reasonably good condition so am considering only spraying my sleeping bag (and everything else in my pack except the liner.) What do you think?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No staining with Permethrin, but I would clear it with owner before using. I poison all my items (except underwear) but I have friends who are appalled at the thought of chemicals.

A good silk liner may be already treated with something for bugs, mine was. In summer that is all I use.
Dermot

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
1) Does permetrin leave any stain or discoloration on silk?
2) Is it necessary to treat both a sleeping bag and liner when aiming to avoid bed bugs?

A friend loaned me her barely used silk liner. I'd like to return it in reasonably good condition so am considering only spraying my sleeping bag (and everything else in my pack except the liner.) What do you think?
For my 2014 Sept/Oct Camino Frances, I successfully utilized the following: 1) a permetherin-treated cotton pareo which was used as an initial mattress layer, 2) a treated silk liner and 3) treated light sleeping bag which I unzipped and used as a blanket/quilt. I also treated my backpack prior to departure. I slept quite comfortably in a variety of albergue conditions with no (bed bug) bites and no damage to the fabric(s). And yes, I was completely happy with this arrangement, and will do the same for my next Camino journey.

For my 2014 Sept/Oct Camino Frances, I successfully utilized the following: 1) a permetherin-treated cotton pareo which was used as an initial mattress layer, 2) a treated silk liner and 3) treated light sleeping bag which I unzipped and used as a blanket/quilt. I also treated my backpack prior to departure. I slept quite comfortably in a variety of albergue conditions with no (bed bug) bites and no damage to the fabric(s). And yes, I was completely happy with this arrangement, and will do the same for my next Camino journey.
I did similarly and did not have any problems on my Camino....Ed

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm also curious why you are taking both a sleeping bag AND a liner?
Are you doing a winter Camino?

I figured someone would ask that! No, I'll be there in a few weeks- June & July. But, I'm usually cold and too particular to use the alburgue blankets. So I don't want to only have the liner. And just the bag (very light REI sleep sac) might be too much for hot nights. So, when warm I'll use the bag as a mattress cover and sleep in the liner. Anyway, lots of trial and error on a 1st Camino. I think I'd rather carry a bit extra weight than be cold.

There is a company called InsectShield.com that will treat clothing and probably the silk liner with Permethrin. They are located in Greensboro, NC, but you can mail things to be treated. They would not treat my down sleeping bag for fear of ruining the down fill, but for a very reasonable price they treated a twin size fitted sheet. I sprayed my sleeping bag myself. For clothing, etc., it is possible to buy Sawyers liquid and do the soaking of clothes oneself, but I would rather have it done professionally--the result is like Bug-off clothing. It's bad enough to have to deal with spraying the sleeping bag and backpack...but I did it anyway and had no trouble from bedbugs. PS, I have encountered bedbugs in the past---not fun!---therefore I now take all precautions!

I figured someone would ask that! No, I'll be there in a few weeks- June & July. But, I'm usually cold and too particular to use the alburgue blankets. So I don't want to only have the liner. And just the bag (very light REI sleep sac) might be too much for hot nights. So, when warm I'll use the bag as a mattress cover and sleep in the liner. Anyway, lots of trial and error on a 1st Camino. I think I'd rather carry a bit extra weight than be cold.
FJVJESS, I also use a sleep sac with a silk liner. As you mentioned, it gives you the opportunity to use both if cold and just the silk sac if warm at nights. Last May/June I had both. Very cold at Foncebadon, BRRRR. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
FJVJESS, I also use a sleep sac with a silk liner. As you mentioned, it gives you the opportunity to use both if cold and just the silk sac if warm at nights. Last May/June I had both. Very cold at Foncebadon, BRRRR. Buen Camino
Oh good! Glad to hear the endorsement of my plan!

Hi!
Is Pyrethrin something to spray on or is it some kind of liquid? Does it smell somehow?
I'm thinking what does that "treating" mean - if I can buy it in Spain, should I wash my liner with that or just spray on?

Hi!
Is Pyrethrin something to spray on or is it some kind of liquid? Does it smell somehow?
I'm thinking what does that "treating" mean - if I can buy it in Spain, should I wash my liner with that or just spray on?

Permetrin is a liquid that you spray on your clothing, pack, sleeping bag, liner in advance. I plan to spray all my things a day or two before I leave the US; it takes time to dry but I've been told it does not smell or stain. I'm not sure about washing your liner with it. Others might be able to tell you if that works.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Permetrin is a liquid that you spray on your clothing, pack, sleeping bag, liner in advance. I plan to spray all my things a day or two before I leave the US; it takes time to dry but I've been told it does not smell or stain. I'm not sure about washing your liner with it. Others might be able to tell you if that works.
I do the same thing at home about a week or two before I leave for the Camino. I do spray my Bag, liner sheets, all clothes ect. Pretty much everything. Some Pilgrims do not like to spray everything but I do. I want to make sure those little buggers do not get me. I have never been bitten yet!! (knock on wood).....Reading the MSDC on it once it is dry we are ok. Buena Suerte...Okay, now the haters of spraying everything can come out....:)

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.