• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Permethrin Spraying Question

Donna Mosello

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct. 2017: Via Francigena--Grand St. Bernard to Rome.

Oct. 2015: Camino Francès--SJPdP to Santiago.
Sorry.....but I couldn't find my answer in the "bed bug" thread.
(I leave in less than two weeks for SJPDP and hope I"m doing the right thing)
I sprayed Permethrin on:
1) Backpack--inside and out
2) Sleeping (flannel-like) sheet. --inside and out
3) Backpack cover--inside and out

I know (on the box) it says for "clothing, gear & tents"
** Am I supposed to spray ALL of my clothes...and shoes also? Because right now I have not sprayed any of my clothes or hiking boots. If so, I will have to hang everything on hangers in my garage and get busy spraying.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry.....but I couldn't find my answer in the "bed bug" thread.
(I leave in less than two weeks for SJPDP and hope I"m doing the right thing)
I sprayed Permethrin on:
1) Backpack--inside and out
2) Sleeping (flannel-like) sheet. --inside and out
3) Backpack cover--inside and out

I know (on the box) it says for "clothing, gear & tents"
** Am I supposed to spray ALL of my clothes...and shoes also? Because right now I have not sprayed any of my clothes or hiking boots. If so, I will have to hang everything on hangers in my garage and get busy spraying.
NO!!!! Do not spray anything else. You really don't want that stuff too close to you. Just make sure you pack your clothes in your bag, leave the, on top of it, etc., on what has bee sprayed.

Both the U.S. Military and the Canadian Military issue it for use on clothes to protect against insects in the field.
After dry..Permethrin is not a problem..according to EPA and the military.

I do spray what I am sleeping in (cold weather) and have no problem with it after reading everything about Permethrin..including all of the scare posts and articles.
But everyone should just do what they are comfortable with.
Do not use it if it make you nervous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My approach was to treat Permethrin as something that would be effective for about 30 to 40 days after application and that it would quickly lose its effectiveness after washing. So, since I would be washing my clothes, there was little sense in applying the chemical to my shirts, pants, etc. However, I did apply Permethrin to my backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner and the various bags I used within the backpack to organize my clothes.

Nope, Your all good (and smelly) :p

Now IF they crawl into your pack or sleepingbag they probably will not survive the walk to your next stop.

Thats the plus side of Permethrin.
Downside, besides it being toxic as *PEEP*, it isnt a bed bug repellent.

Downside, besides it being toxic as *PEEP*, it isnt a bed bug repellent.
It has to be ingested to be toxic, and once dried on clothing it does not enter the body through the skin, or at least at such low rates as not to present a threat of toxicity. Don't eat it or treat underwear or other items that will come in contact with moist areas of the body, ie eyes, nose, mouth and genital area. If you are unfortunate enough to cut or graze yourself, the wound should be covered, but you might want to do that anyway.

@Dutch is right to point out that it isn't a repellent, and its effect isn't instantaneous. It might take some time for an individual insect to accumulate a lethal dose, and then for that dose to take effect. This might be enough time for the bedbug to have its final meal!

Remember it is highly toxic to cats, as well as to all insects, pests as well as useful insects such as bees. Avoid applying it where you would expose them.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's too bad you didn't just spray the OUTSIDE of your pack and especially your sleeping bag.
You don't need to spray anything else.

Lots of clothing in camping/hiking shops is now pre-treated (e.g. Craghoppers Nosilife) with an insect repellent. Not sure how effective it would be against bedbugs but they might choose someone else in preference.

It has to be ingested to be toxic, and once dried on clothing it does not enter the body through the skin, or at least at such low rates as not to present a threat of toxicity. Don't eat it or treat underwear or other items that will come in contact with moist areas of the body, ie eyes, nose, mouth and genital area. If you are unfortunate enough to cut or graze yourself, the wound should be covered, but you might want to do that anyway.

@Dutch is right to point out that it isn't a repellent, and its effect isn't instantaneous. It might take some time for an individual insect to accumulate a lethal dose, and then for that dose to take effect. This might be enough time for the bedbug to have its final meal!

Remember it is highly toxic to cats, as well as to all insects, pests as well as useful insects such as bees. Avoid applying it where you would expose them.

Doug,

Dont come in contact with moist areas of the body?

So what about....euh...just about everbody that sweats (especially on hot summer nights) and has sprayed their liner or sleepingbag with permethrin?

As far as i know, when its dried up its ok. If not, with my sweating in hot camino nights, i would already be the toxic avenger

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lots of clothing in camping/hiking shops is now pre-treated (e.g. Craghoppers Nosilife) with an insect repellent. Not sure how effective it would be against bedbugs but they might choose someone else in preference.
It appears Nosilife is treated with a form of permethrin, which is a little confusing because Craghoppers claim to be using a repellent, not an insecticide.

Some of the above posts have been deleted.
Please try not to engage in aggressive exchanges. When that happens no-one wins and the moderators will close the thread.

Last edited:

Hi DougFitz, Just about to buy some permethrin on-line to spray my backpack & sleeping bag. Do you think a 150ml bottle will be enough? Can't believe I'll use a litre one (which is the alternative). Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi DougFitz, Just about to buy some permethrin on-line to spray my backpack & sleeping bag. Do you think a 150ml bottle will be enough? Can't believe I'll use a litre one (which is the alternative). Thanks
I also would be surprised if it needed a litre, but I don't claim any particular expertise here. Is there any indication about the coverage you might expect on the web-site you are using?

I also would be surprised if it needed a litre, but I don't claim any particular expertise here. Is there any indication about the coverage you might expect on the web-site you are using?
Good tip - I'll take a look - thanks :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That seems a difficult size difference. 150ml seems too little and a liter seems to be too much. Maybe save the extra for the next Camino. :cool:
I was thinking this would be my one and only camino...but reading all the posts on this forum I guess I should 'never say never'... Thanks Grayland :)

Since it is the most effective for 30-40 days, is it best to wait until just a few days before I fly to Spain to spray my sleeping bag exterior and back pack?

Another question that occurred to me was that I would have my water bottles on the outside pockets of my pack. Do I need to worry about ingesting any of this if it gets on the water bottles as they rest in the pockets? I have wide-mouthed bottles with screw off lids.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.