• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Permethrin

camelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept. 14 - Oct. 18 (2012); Finisterre/Muxia April (2016)
Hi All:
My question today is: How/where can I get a can of Permethrin in Canada? I have checked with local stores and so far, no luck. Short of driving to Spokane (closest REI) any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Buen Camino!

Ellen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Recall suggests you can't. Canada is one of the countries that has banned the sale of Permethrin on the grounds of it's potential harmful impact on humans. (never mind it's impact on other life forms).

There are extensive threads on the forum on the merits / debits of permethrin use, bug control and similar. Anything you may need is available in Spain, probably cheaper than you can buy at home, and will save you explaining to the authorities at Heathrow / Charke de Gaulle what it is you have in the bottle.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Air Canada aircraft treatment for insects:
Disinsection is carried out year round, and passengers are notified of the procedure via an on-board announcement prior to spraying of the cabin. This gives passengers the opportunity to cover their eyes and noses if they wish. The spray dissipates from the cabin and aircraft in a few minutes.

The content of the spray used by Air Canada is designated by the World Health Organization (WHO), and contains either 2% Permethrin or 2% d-Phenothrin. The remainder of the spray consists of HFA 134A as a propellant. The solvent and propellant currently in use are designed to be non-ozone depleting.

Note: A WHO expert committee on the safe use of pesticides has agreed there is no evidence that these insecticides present any toxic hazard to the passengers or crew, provided the correct procedures are followed. The Human Resources Development Canada Report “Comparative Toxicity of Permethrin and d-Phenothrin with Pyrethrum” found similar results.
Pharmacies in Canada carry permethrin for the treatment of head lice.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I was hoping to spray my stuff prior to leaving and not buy anything in SJPdP, then wait for it to dry. I certainly don't need to carry it with me, do I? What would be the closest thing to permethrin that could be purchased here in Canada? Does anyone know?

Thanks again.
Ellen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK, I'm putting this subject to rest. I bought some kind of bug spray that has 0.30% permethrin in it. I will spray my backpack and the outside of my sleeping bag with this and hope for the best. Can I spray my wrap that I will use to cover the pillow with this?

Thanks to all!

Ellen

OK, I'm putting this subject to rest. I bought some kind of bug spray that has 0.30% permethrin in it. I will spray my backpack and the outside of my sleeping bag with this and hope for the best. Can I spray my wrap that I will use to cover the pillow with this?

Thanks to all!

Ellen
Hi Ellen.

What was the name of the produft you found? And where did you find it?
How was your camijo? Any incidents of bed bugs?

antonio

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I sprayed my sleeping bag and backpack with permethrin before I left (can be bought at any drug store) and also brought a tube of permethrin cream with me that is prescription strength (1%) in the US. That way if I do get the 'bugs' I can cover my body head to toe and leave it on for 8 hours before washing off. Problem solved! Luckily I didn't need it last fall, but it will be in my pack this June when I return! Better safe than sorry, but I am sure there are comparable products along the Way if you aren't able to get it before you leave.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.