• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Permethrin

Ross Sheeran

Time of past OR future Camino
November 2015
I have been trying to purchase Permethrin spray to treat our sleeping bags and some clothing. I have tried pharmacies, supermarkets, hardware stores and camping stores but none of them in my stock it. Does anyone know if I can buy some on the Camino if I need it? We will be walking late October through to the end of November, so are bed bugs still a problem in the colder months? I've never experienced bed bug problems before so any advice would be appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have been trying to purchase Permethrin spray to treat our sleeping bags and some clothing. I have tried pharmacies, supermarkets, hardware stores and camping stores but none of them in my stock it. Does anyone know if I can buy some on the Camino if I need it? We will be walking late October through to the end of November, so are bed bugs still a problem in the colder months? I've never experienced bed bug problems before so any advice would be appreciated.

We bought a spray in SJPP that was not permethrin but came highly recommended (of course) by the shop owner .... Ended up never using it .... And never saw a bedbug either .... The spray we bought could be used daily and did not have to dry for days ... No idea what it is but the shop keeper said it was often used by hospitaleros as a preventative measure .... He may be right .... It had a distinctive but not unpleasant odour and we did see others using it as well. The shop was just steps down from the pilgrim office. It is entirely possible it isn't any good but I guess since we were basically bug free anyway I suppose even if we were taken in ... We survived ;) I hear you CAN get permethrin in Europe but frankly hunting down a source in an unfamiliar country kinda sucks ....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would think that Doug or one of the other regular Oz members would know where it is available in Australia.
It really would be best to treat things before you went. It would be a bit awkward to do it properly on the Camino. It could be done...but better to have it sorted before you go. (in my opinion)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought mine (a soaker) from the website - Dr. Deb The Travel Doctor - www.thetraveldoctor.com.au/. I soaked my sleep liner and pj's - not one bite so maybe it works really well.
They also market the Equip product, Debugger. I always smile when I think about an Australian company using a name like that!

you can get it in Spain at "Agro-Veterinario" stores that sell farm and pet supplies. It is sold under the name of "Dogo," it's a spray or powder used in dog kennels and and livestock barns for all kinds of bugs.

Just seen this for Aussies.. they sell the spray

Contact Survival Supplies Australia

Email:
contact@survivalsuppliesaustralia.com.au
Phone:
61 (03) 9727 0977
Fax:
61 (03) 9727 0277
Mailing Address:
Survival Supplies Australia
PO Box 455
Lilydale, Victoria 3140
Australia

Web:
www.survivalsuppliesaustralia.com.au
Sawyer Clothing Insect Repellent

sawyer-sp657-insect-repel-2.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just tried ordering myself.....no stock.

went onto Amazon-Australia......
They have it In stock and in the same format trigger spray along with aerosol.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just tried ordering myself.....no stock.

went onto Amazon-Australia......
They have it In stock and in the same format trigger spray along with aerosol.
Really. Amazon Australia has no physical distribution network - they distribute e-books and apps only. Other Amazon businesses distribute to Australia, and you might have looked at one of these. However, if you are in Australia and try ordering this product from the either the US or UK Amazon sites, they will quite clearly state that Amazon does not ship this product to Australia. It is not the only product that I have found with restrictions of this nature, and the issue is probably not visible if you are doing this research from another country. Some local knowledge is useful here;).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Marvellous
Believe me, it can be very frustrating to find something is available elsewhere in the world and because the company that has the marketing rights here doesn't carry that particular item, it cannot be obtained from a distributor in another country.

I found this out years ago when I was looking for replacements for a set of worn out Leki walking pole tips, and the Australian importer had stopped carrying the walking foot version. The NZ importer was carrying them, but was not permitted to send them to an Australian address.

My wife maintains a US postal address so she is not stymied by this if she is shopping online on a US site. It's worthwhile if you are a regular shopper, but would be cumbersome for a single purchase.

Believe me, it can be very frustrating to find something is available elsewhere in the world and because the company that has the marketing rights here doesn't carry that particular item, it cannot be obtained from a distributor in another country.

I found this out years ago when I was looking for replacements for a set of worn out Leki walking pole tips, and the Australian importer had stopped carrying the walking foot version. The NZ importer was carrying them, but was not permitted to send them to an Australian address.

My wife maintains a US postal address so she is not stymied by this if she is shopping online on a US site. It's worthwhile if you are a regular shopper, but would be cumbersome for a single purchase.

Its strange the first place advertised they sell it.....then going onto there site ,no product displayed..

I did follow through amazon......restricted

so even posting to some one in Australia would mean the postal system would discover the item.......I am very aware Australia x-ray overseas packages according to The regular TV program shown in the UK..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am always skeptical when folks tell me I can't ship items to friends overseas because they are restricted. The example of Dougs Leki tips are a great example. I understand things that go bang, technology or some bio hazard or nasty chemical. I don't ship.

The other stuff I ship anyway. As we are a world economy, let the various politicians set rules but some of it is just silly.

You cana get it from Amazon US. I live in Norway. I can circumvent the customs often by sending to a private person in the US first and then sending it privately to me. My package would include multiple things as a gift and the item in question often gets lost/overlooked among the other things.

I bought it at Bunnings hardware in Australia It was labelled ant killer but the active ingredient was permethrin I'm on the camino right now. I sprayed my back back bases and sleeping bags
I even sprayed a quarter sheet to put under the head of the sleeping bag but don't seem to use it I check all the beds and have not seen evidence of any bugs yet. Have a good Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I purchased in NZ Sawyer insect repellent odourless Permethrin which was produced by Sawyer in Florida did not have any problem with bed bugs

You cana get it from Amazon US. I live in Norway. I can circumvent the customs often by sending to a private person in the US first and then sending it privately to me. My package would include multiple things as a gift and the item in question often gets lost/overlooked among the other things.
I am not sure how to reconcile the principles of Christian piligrimage which motivate this forum with providing advice on how to 'circumvent', otherwise 'break', the law.

For those of us who have become distracted by proposing innovative ways of using the postal system to obtain goods that aren't otherwise available in a particular country, remember that in relation to the OP's question, it is possible to obtain permethrin in Australia from at least one if not more Australian sources. There has also been advice on how to obtain a pyrethrin based product when he is on his camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just seen this for Aussies.. they sell the spray
Or go to Bunnings and by Ant, Spider and cockroach killer for $9.95 and make it up yourself in a sprayer. No need to deal with the postal system and just as effective. Buen Camino.

Contact Survival Supplies Australia

Email:
contact@survivalsuppliesaustralia.com.au
Phone:
61 (03) 9727 0977
Fax:
61 (03) 9727 0277
Mailing Address:
Survival Supplies Australia
PO Box 455
Lilydale, Victoria 3140
Australia

Web:
www.survivalsuppliesaustralia.com.au
Sawyer Clothing Insect Repellent

sawyer-sp657-insect-repel-2.jpg

@Ross Sheeran I have found permethrin treatment available in hiking stores in Australia (at great expense) and also as a garden spray very cheaply at Bunnings. Last camino I treated backpack and all sleeping equipment with the garden spray and left it to dry. Unfortunately the full list of ingredients is not listed on the garden spray but my friend the chemist felt it would be OK. But get advice - organophosphates are the real badies so be very sure whatever you use does not contain those.

I also carry this pyrethrum knock-down spray. Very handy tiny little container, good for a multitude of uses - and pyrethrum kills bedbugs on contact - according to the EPA. Unless they have developed a resistance. For Australians pyrethrum is easy to obtain and reasonably priced - apparently Tasmania is one of the worlds major suppliers - as it is a natural product made from chrysanthenums it is often expensive overseas. It is the main ingredient in the non-deet child-safe version of mosquito repellant Aeroguard.

Permethrin and pyrethrum are different. The first is a synthetic compound with a residual effect when dry, and lasts through abfew washes, the second is naturally occurring and breaks down quickly, particularly in sunlight.

Hello all. Does anyone know where I can purchase this spray in Canada? Thank you

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hiking stores usually sell it. Here it is sold as a solution into which you soak the item you want to treat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Back