• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Permission

Sweenardo

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata in May of 2017 from Ourense to Santiago. Bilbao to Santander on Camino Norte (2018).
I am heading back to Bilbao to do the Norte to Santander in late September. Last year I did the Via de la Plata from Ourense to Santiago. I would highly recommend that route for new members who want to get at least 100k to be eligible for the Compostela. Stay at the albergue at the Oseira Monastery (slightly alternate route) and you will have an experience you will remember all your days.

This year I decided I am giving myself permission to not worry about ending in Santiago. I'm not going to worry about getting another Compostela. I'll take a bus if it is raining. I will stay in pensions and small hotels where I will be in charge of the light switch and wake up time. I will seek out other pilgrims during the day but give myself permission to have some dinners and breakfast alone. I will try not to feel guilty if I avoid large groups of folks when I don't feel like talking. I will embrace the moments I connect with others and strive to spend time with people from Spain so I can practice my Spanish and learn about their culture and their lives.

This trek will be a test of my spiritual fitness like every hike is. I hope to experience some personal growth but I give myself permission not to worry about it every day. I'll pray and enjoy the breathtaking churches but will try not to worry about "doing it right."

I offer this thread up to people considering walking a Camino pilgrimage. I'm doing the Norte as it looks good to me, but there are lots of options. Folks on this forum are incredibly supportive but the idea of going to a foreign country and taking a long hike can be intimidating. Give yourself permission to make your trip fun and don't worry if you are doing it right or if you are a "true" pilgrim. You are. You can do it. Tailor it in a way that makes sense to you and go for it. There is no right way and no wrong way. Pilgrims and local people will go out of their way to help you. Book your flight! Happy trails to all and Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Right post, right time. I’m having a virtual Camino day today - After 11 days walking with chronic foot problems which were pre-existing my present Camino and which make me painfully aware of each step I take, I am committed to also enjoy this Camino - and if I can no longer walk with at least some joy, I must listen to my inner voice : it’s ok to take a bus ride today for 20 km, while husband walks on by himself. Taking a day at the time, being true to my purpose, and taking to heart some wise words out of the mouth of a priest mentor, who set me free from religious guilt once and for all : ‘it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks, or what I think, what you decide is entirely between you and God. ‘ Oh, and for the ‘purists’ among you - I also started backpack transfers 3 days ago!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am heading back to Bilbao to do the Norte to Santander in late September. Last year I did the Via de la Plata from Ourense to Santiago. I would highly recommend that route for new members who want to get at least 100k to be eligible for the Compostela. Stay at the albergue at the Oseira Monastery (slightly alternate route) and you will have an experience you will remember all your days.

This year I decided I am giving myself permission to not worry about ending in Santiago. I'm not going to worry about getting another Compostela. I'll take a bus if it is raining. I will stay in pensions and small hotels where I will be in charge of the light switch and wake up time. I will seek out other pilgrims during the day but give myself permission to have some dinners and breakfast alone. I will try not to feel guilty if I avoid large groups of folks when I don't feel like talking. I will embrace the moments I connect with others and strive to spend time with people from Spain so I can practice my Spanish and learn about their culture and their lives.

This trek will be a test of my spiritual fitness like every hike is. I hope to experience some personal growth but I give myself permission not to worry about it every day. I'll pray and enjoy the breathtaking churches but will try not to worry about "doing it right."

I offer this thread up to people considering walking a Camino pilgrimage. I'm doing the Norte as it looks good to me, but there are lots of options. Folks on this forum are incredibly supportive but the idea of going to a foreign country and taking a long hike can be intimidating. Give yourself permission to make your trip fun and don't worry if you are doing it right or if you are a "true" pilgrim. You are. You can do it. Tailor it in a way that makes sense to you and go for it. There is no right way and no wrong way. Pilgrims and local people will go out of their way to help you. Book your flight! Happy trails to all and Buen Camino!

@Sweenardo Buen Camiño. I really appreciate your post. It comes at the right time for me. I’m embarking on my first Camiño next month after yearning to go on a pilgrimage since 2011. A dear friend was joining me but life happened for her so I will now be alone which is no big deal. My struggle before reading your post was should I still do the Portugues or just the English way since it’s shorter. It never sat well with me since my heart, for some reason, was set on the Portugues way. I felt like I was settling on the English way. Thank you for the affirmation that I should follow my heart. I give myself permission to let the Camiño Portugues show me the way.

but will try not to worry about "doing it right."
Camino!

Hi Sweenardo,
Who decides what 'Right' is? Others? or you? I do not believe there is a right or wrong way to do the Camino. Just whatever way makes sense to you. This life is your journey and I think it only 'right' that we are allowed to decide how we make our way in life and on the Camino. If we just live by the golden rule and treat others as we would wish to be treated then we have no need to worry about right and wrong.
Aidan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A Camino is about the journey, NOT the destination, per se. Yes, to a religious person making this pilgrimage, the destination, at the Cathedral IS the point of the exercise. However, once you have done this once, experiencing the full pilgrim arrival ritual, subsequent trips ought to be for the pure enjoyment and joy of making the journey, at least IMHO.

Right post, right time. I’m having a virtual Camino day today - After 11 days walking with chronic foot problems which were pre-existing my present Camino and which make me painfully aware of each step I take, I am committed to also enjoy this Camino - and if I can no longer walk with at least some joy, I must listen to my inner voice : it’s ok to take a bus ride today for 20 km, while husband walks on by himself. Taking a day at the time, being true to my purpose, and taking to heart some wise words out of the mouth of a priest mentor, who set me free from religious guilt once and for all : ‘it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks, or what I think, what you decide is entirely between you and God. ‘ Oh, and for the ‘purists’ among you - I also started backpack transfers 3 days ago!
new avatar? nice to see you! hope the rest day sorts your foot out a bit. It doesn't matter a whit to me how you do your camino. Except that it means what you hoped for, you are the key lady here. buen camino, take care.

I am beginning my first Camino in Leon in a few weeks. I , too, will be starting with a foot problem that makes me aware of every step. I am no longer young! Your post encourages me. Like you I have decided that I will do what is necessary to be able to continue. It may mean sending my pack ahead some days or taking a rest day and busing to catch up with my friends. I will take courage from people like you and set off believing I can finish.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Virtual Camino! I love it! Thank you for your post. May your feet feel better each day and may you have fun and peace all along the way.....

I am beginning my first Camino in Leon in a few weeks. I , too, will be starting with a foot problem that makes me aware of every step. I am no longer young! Your post encourages me. Like you I have decided that I will do what is necessary to be able to continue. It may mean sending my pack ahead some days or taking a rest day and busing to catch up with my friends. I will take courage from people like you and set off believing I can finish.
Peace be with you. Thank you for sharing.

@Sweenardo Buen Camiño. I really appreciate your post. It comes at the right time for me. I’m embarking on my first Camiño next month after yearning to go on a pilgrimage since 2011. A dear friend was joining me but life happened for her so I will now be alone which is no big deal. My struggle before reading your post was should I still do the Portugues or just the English way since it’s shorter. It never sat well with me since my heart, for some reason, was set on the Portugues way. I felt like I was settling on the English way. Thank you for the affirmation that I should follow my heart. I give myself permission to let the Camiño Portugues show me the way.
Looking forward to hearing about your Portugues Way Camino! Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks - and yes updated my photo to this recent Camino (10years older). I honestly didn’t have a more recent photo of myself until now when I started on the aragones ... photo shy and definitely not into selfies... ha.
new avatar? nice to see you! hope the rest day sorts your foot out a bit. It doesn't matter a whit to me how you do your camino. Except that it means what you hoped for, you are the key lady here. buen camino, take care.[/QUO

A
I am beginning my first Camino in Leon in a few weeks. I , too, will be starting with a foot problem that makes me aware of every step. I am no longer young! Your post encourages me. Like you I have decided that I will do what is necessary to be able to continue. It may mean sending my pack ahead some days or taking a rest day and busing to catch up with my friends. I will take courage from people like you and set off believing I can finish.[/QUOTE

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

THANK YOU! My husband and I are walking the coastal route next March and are not interested in the compostela. Will this interfere in our enjoyment or ability to find places to stay? We are a bit worried March is too early to find places to stay and we aren't planning on making any reservations along the way. I am vegan and wonder if there are enough beans and rice, veggies and fruit to survive?

I start in a few weeks so I'll post what I find out about food. Take a look at Gronze and then booking.com options and you will find plenty of places to stay. Go for it!

THANK YOU! My husband and I are walking the coastal route next March and are not interested in the compostela. Will this interfere in our enjoyment or ability to find places to stay? We are a bit worried March is too early to find places to stay and we aren't planning on making any reservations along the way. I am vegan and wonder if there are enough beans and rice, veggies and fruit to survive?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can also get a credential and get it stamped each day so you will be able to stay in alburgues as needed. (Some require a pilgrim credential in order to stay there).

@loumura
If you are walking without desiring a compostela you may not think to get the credencial, which is necessary to qualify for a compostela. A credencial is also necessary in order to stay in pilgrim albergues. If you want to spend time with pilgrims or if you are concerned about finding places to stay, you might want to get the credencial. I have not walked the Norte, so can offer no opinion on places to stay in March. However, as a vegetarian I can suggest that you would have the opportunity to cook for yourself if you stayed in albergues, since most have kitchens. Restaurant meals can be challenging.

You can also get a credential and get it stamped each day so you will be able to stay in alburgues as needed. (Some require a pilgrim credential in order to stay there).
So how do you get a credential?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The camino from Bilboa to Santander is a pleasant walk along the coast. Many vistas overlooking the water, many beautiful villages, and beaches. The beaches sometimes present a problem, as there are many people who use the albergues as a means to have an inexpensive beach vacation. On many occasions I have tried to get accommodations at an albergue only to find it full from vacationers purporting to be pilgrims. The Norte is not as well supported as the Frances and many (most) towns only have one albergue. As noted in the previous posts there are many who are of opinion that getting to Santiago by any means possible is "their Camino" and as such not open to criticism from the purists. Obviously, these people have not spent the night on an albergue floor surrounded by wet bathing suits. I disagree with the premise there is no wrong way to walk the Camino, taking public transportation between albergues in not a Camino, its an insult to the to those who endured the many hardships in centuries past. For those who have health problems and can only walk 10km a day, God Bless You, as your Camino is truly taken in the spirit of the Camino, that is, enduring the hardships necessary to complete "your Camino".

Jim Michie

Jim - I prefer to walk every step between destinations as it feels right if I am able to do it. However, if I decide to take a bus because I'm soaked or I have a medical problem I don't think it is an insult to people who have walked to Santiago in the past. The Catholic Church says you must walk the last 100 kilometers and get your credential stamped to get a compostela. Your rules may be different.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What does the church say when someone takes the bus and get to the only albergue within 10 - 15 km and people who didn't take the bus find nowhere to stay. Since they are now warm and dry do they give up their accommodation to those who now have a greater need? When it is pouring rain and you stop for shelter in one of the covered bus stops to wait until it lets up a bit, along comes the bus and stops, do you resit the temptation to take the bus? If you get injured do you hold up at the albergue and deprive someone of an accommodation who has walked the last 40kms? What do you believe a Christian should do?

These are good questions. It is impossible for me to determine who is a true pilgrim vs someone who is on vacation, and your questions are even more complex. (Many of the folks I met last year who seemed to be on vacation were Spanish citizens. How can we tell them they should not use the infrastructure their fellow citizens built?) I decided last year to stay in inexpensive pensions as they were a better match for me than the alburgues. I worked with folks with disabilities most of my life and so I do think accommodations should be made for people who have a medical issue that prevents them from walking long distances. I know it is wimpy for me to take a bus in the rain but I figure it is between me and my higher power. Life offers plenty of opportunities to suffer. I may simply choose to minimize a little inconvenience if it feels right on a given day. My original post was to encourage people to give a Camino a try. I remember all of this was daunting and somewhat intimidating when I first found the forum. Some folks may grow spiritually on a day trek while others may not after a thousand miles. A power greater than I will make that determination. I simply wanted to encourage folks to give a Camino a try. Redvespablur above noted that there are thousands of way to approach your Camino. I would agree with that.

Buen Camino Jim. Appreciate the thought provoking comments.

What does the church say when someone takes the bus and get to the only albergue within 10 - 15 km and people who didn't take the bus find nowhere to stay. Since they are now warm and dry do they give up their accommodation to those who now have a greater need? When it is pouring rain and you stop for shelter in one of the covered bus stops to wait until it lets up a bit, along comes the bus and stops, do you resit the temptation to take the bus? If you get injured do you hold up at the albergue and deprive someone of an accommodation who has walked the last 40kms? What do you believe a Christian should do?
@Jim Michie
I don't think that there is any one simple answer to this question. There are too many factors involved. If you are staying at albergues that don't require pilgrims to have arrived on foot, then you may certainly take public transit, or drive, to your next albergue whenever you wish, barring the last 100 km before Santiago, if you want the compostela. But if the issue is who is the most needy for limited space, there is no obvious answer. If you are a Christian, you try to respond with love and caring to anyone's need, acknowledging that many persons who do not identify as Christian do the same. And of course, this includes one's own need. So I try to keep my mind and my heart open. For the rest, I set my own rules for whether I will accept a ride or transport for my pack or any other practices through which I identify myself as following appropriate pilgrim behaviour for my personal standards. As an experienced backcountry walker I once found myself contemplating how I could keep myself and two other recently met women safe and dry through a rainy November night when the local albergues had all just closed for the season. It did not occur to me to consider whether I should favour myself or them. We worked it out together, sharing resources.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been tramping around Spain and Portugal for 8 years. I have 4 Compostelas and could probably have more if that was my reason for walking the Camino but it is not. For me it is a deeply spiritual personal voyage in honor of my late daughter who committed suicide in 2010. Getting from Point A to Point B is important but getting to see the site of Santiago's grave is not one of the requirements every time I set foot in the Iberian Peninsula. I am a catholic without a capital "C" and the things that have been revealed lately about the abuses by the churchmen are deeply disturbing. Am I a Christian, I suppose so because I believe there is a higher power, but who knows? My Muslim friends believe in the same higher power, n'est pas?
I will walk for a week and then take a train in another direction and try out a new route for a week. Next year it is Le Puy.

Last edited:

This year I decided I am giving myself permission to not worry about ending in Santiago. I'm not going to worry about getting another Compostela. I'll take a bus if it is raining. I will stay in pensions and small hotels where I will be in charge of the light switch and wake up time. I will seek out other pilgrims during the day but give myself permission to have some dinners and breakfast alone.

Good for you, your flexibility will no doubt pay off in spades, just don't miss the Albergue in Guemes it is a must on the Norte! Buen Camino

There are no 'must dos' or 'right way'. Every morning is beautiful and one should follow his/her nose and enjoy all the sights, sounds, and smells around. You are fortunate to be out there and traveling the camino in the manner one choses. Be thankful and spread joy. I can not wait until I start again in two weeks going out of Castro-Urdiales. I don't have a set schedule other than knowing when I must return to the airport. Other than that, each day is a gift.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are no 'must dos' or 'right way'. Every morning is beautiful and one should follow his/her nose and enjoy all the sights, sounds, and smells around. You are fortunate to be out there and traveling the camino in the manner one choses. Be thankful and spread joy. I can not wait until I start again in two weeks going out of Castro-Urdiales. I don't have a set schedule other than knowing when I must return to the airport. Other than that, each day is a gift.
Bravo!

These are good questions. It is impossible for me to determine who is a true pilgrim vs someone who is on vacation, and your questions are even more complex. (Many of the folks I met last year who seemed to be on vacation were Spanish citizens. How can we tell them they should not use the infrastructure their fellow citizens built?) I decided last year to stay in inexpensive pensions as they were a better match for me than the alburgues. I worked with folks with disabilities most of my life and so I do think accommodations should be made for people who have a medical issue that prevents them from walking long distances. I know it is wimpy for me to take a bus in the rain but I figure it is between me and my higher power. Life offers plenty of opportunities to suffer. I may simply choose to minimize a little inconvenience if it feels right on a given day. My original post was to encourage people to give a Camino a try. I remember all of this was daunting and somewhat intimidating when I first found the forum. Some folks may grow spiritually on a day trek while others may not after a thousand miles. A power greater than I will make that determination. I simply wanted to encourage folks to give a Camino a try. Redvespablur above noted that there are thousands of way to approach your Camino. I would agree with that.

Buen Camino Jim. Appreciate the thought provoking comments.
Ha Ha! Words well-spoken. You made me laugh when you wrote "that's between me and my higher power" and "Life offers plenty of opportunities to suffer"! On a serious note, my husband and I are pushing 70 so will seek out pensions for that exact reason. We don't need to compete for a bed and would rather they were freed up for those in real need for albergaes. Also, we decided to not use a compostella so if we encounter days of hard rain on the coast in Portugal in March, we won't be making others angry that it's cheating. We have always wanted to see Portugal and the camino will allow us to do just that in a more intimate way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ha Ha! Words well-spoken. You made me laugh when you wrote "that's between me and my higher power" and "Life offers plenty of opportunities to suffer"! On a serious note, my husband and I are pushing 70 so will seek out pensions for that exact reason. We don't need to compete for a bed and would rather they were freed up for those in real need for albergaes. Also, we decided to not use a compostella so if we encounter days of hard rain on the coast in Portugal in March, we won't be making others angry that it's cheating. We have always wanted to see Portugal and the camino will allow us to do just that in a more intimate way.
Hope you have a great Camino Loumura!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back