• Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • All Wise Pilgrim Guides now come with a free Finisterre/Muxia Guide.
    Order online or pick one up at Casa Ivar in Santiago if that is easier.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Perseid meteor shower on the Camino!

Advertisment

Advertisment

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Yumm, if not that?
Grand Marnier Peach edition
In Hebrew we say, "on taste and smell one cannot argue". H-o-w-e-v-e-r, since the notification is illustrated with the fabulous Osborne bull, it would seem most appreciative most appropriate with a bottle of their sherry.

Camino(s) past & future
2035 km of the way to Saint James in Galicia done.
The Perseids are widely known in Spanish and also in other languages as the tears of Saint Lawrence (lágrimas de San Lorenzo). His feast day is on 10 August. If you happen to be under a cloudless dark sky, you don't have to wait until the nights of 11-12 August and 12-13 August but can give it a try already tonight and tomorrow night.

Saint Lawrence was perhaps born in Huesca which lies at the foot of the Pyrenees on one of the Caminos but that place of birth may be a case of "said to be" or "legend has it". He lived in Rome.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
So, how were the Perseids on the Camino in Spain this year? And did you follow the Milky Way? :cool:

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
So, how were the Perseids on the Camino in Spain this year? And did you follow the Milky Way?
Nobody?

I wasn't in Spain but I went to a dark place where you could at least make out the Milky Way and it was one of the best falling stars shows I've seen (I haven't gone out of the way to watch that many such events in my life). A single amateur observer doesn't see that "60 to 70 meteors will soar through the sky per hour" or even more like 100s per hour, as articles online and in the news tend to make you believe. But we saw 60 to 100 over the course of many hours and two nights, with some real "Ooohhhhh - did you see that?" beauties.

I also learnt - should have been obvious to me, actually - that the human eye cannot see what high end cameras, with or without attachment to even higher end telescopes, can record, in particular when the results are combined in composite images. I've seen absolutely stunning photos of night sky landscapes with many details of the Milky Way in recent times. It's reassuring to know now that I don't have to chase for a location to view this at least once with my own eyes because such a location simply doesn't exist. :cool:

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I'm not now on the Camino - but in a place with gorgeous dark sky. So I saw one gorgeous meteor, before clouds eventually swallowed up the stars. It was not even close to the 60-100 per hour the local paper was suggesting would be visible, but no complaints: The one I did see was really worth seeing; very long and very bright!

Camino(s) past & future
The professional photographer of the image shown at the start of the thread is called Daniel Ochoa de Olza and he has some quite unusual (and excellent) photos on his website https://www.danielochoadeolza.com/ about Spain and Spanish customs and a few about the recent history discussed in other threads - well worth looking through. There's even at least one Santiago Apostol in there. Don't forget to click on the captions.

PS: Some of you may prefer to not view the photos stored under Tauromaquia.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
So, how were the Perseids on the Camino in Spain this year? And did you follow the Milky Way? :cool:
I made a point of watching the course of the Milky Way while we were lying under the stars for about 6 hours. It doesn't show the way to Santiago and it slowly moves and turns throughout the night - I've seen it with my own eyes now. :):):)

Most read today

Live - Camino Portugues It begins
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%