Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Personal Locator Beacon

Time of past OR future Camino
Levant from Avila 2013
Here in OZ when bushwalking in remote areas with no mobile coverage, it is prudent to carry a Personal Locator Beacon. Others subscribe to the SPOT system. Both provide access to emergency services in the event of injury or "locational disturbance ". Would it also be prudent to carry something similar on the Primitivo, or is there adequate mobile phone coverage over the whole route?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here in OZ when bushwalking in remote areas with no mobile coverage, it is prudent to carry a Personal Locator Beacon. Others subscribe to the SPOT system. Both provide access to emergency services in the event of injury or "locational disturbance ". Would it also be prudent to carry something similar on the Primitivo, or is there adequate mobile phone coverage over the whole route?

While I carried something similar on my solo thru-hikes on the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail, I felt no such need to do so on Camino. The infrastructure and the number of users seem adequate enough to deal with emergent situations, especially since one is walking village to village and not in backcountry.

I carried this one on the JMT. I do NOT RECOMMEND for Camino. Not necessary.

https://www.rei.com/product/119863/garmin-inreach-explorer-2-way-satellite-communicator

Thing is, on the camino, as davebugg has suggested, you are never really out of cell service so the whole satellite comm isn't necessary. Your usual iPhone, etc, with an international data plan, can do the same things way cheaper. And you aren't limited to a certain amount of characters!

Thing is you lose out on one button instant touch emergency helicopter rescues, but you won't ever need it. Its not that kind of hike!

I don't remember having any connectivity issues on the Primitivo, and that was years ago. I am heading back this year to the same trek and will NOT be bringing the garmin.

Damien

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One of the many opportunities offered on the Camino is the opportunity to disconnect from technology and reconnect with humans for a brief time. Leave as much technology at home as you can! As remote as some stretches of the Camino are, 300K plus people walked the CF last year, you will never be that isolated in Spain, a populated country in Western Europe. Relax!

Davebugg, you do the whole PCT? I can literally walk out my front door, walk for two miles, hit the Santa Ana River trail, walk for about 100 miles, and connect with the PCT near Big Bear, CA. I am thinking (its gonna happen) about that, but 5 months is a long time off for work. I either have to get fired, or retired, to do it. A sabbatical maybe...

Absolutely no need. Good cell service (call 112), good infrastructure, and if you get hurt, you can just call a cab to the hotel and bar, or an ambulance as appropriate. The Primativo isn't really more "primative", just older.....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Davebugg, you do the whole PCT? I can literally walk out my front door, walk for two miles, hit the Santa Ana River trail, walk for about 100 miles, and connect with the PCT near Big Bear, CA. I am thinking (its gonna happen) about that, but 5 months is a long time off for work. I either have to get fired, or retired, to do it. A sabbatical maybe...

Yeah, but at Campo I was really wondering if I should bypass from there to north of San Bernardino. :)

On the Camino a PLB is unnecessary weight. The smartphone you carry has location services, and you can use it to call the universal emergency number 112.

Generally, mobile / cellphone coverage is excellent in Spain and Portugal. I have experienced some low and no-signal spots on the Camino de Invierno. But on the major routes you will never have a problem obtaining a signal.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely no need.
It serves a different purpose than a cell phone, internet, or a call to 112. I have taken mine a couple of times for the emergency location feature. Cell coverage has improved, so it probably has become unnecessary. However, if I keeled over, being able to activate it could be a lifesaver! I don't think you will ever be as remote on the Camino as in the outback!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you have an iPhone, there is a built in emergency system, which you can activate.

Activate it by pressing on the sleep/wake button five times in rapid succession to bring up the swipe interface. If you want the feature without the need for an extra gesture. Open the Settings app. Scroll down to "Emergency SOS." turn on the AutoCall. This will dial the emergency number of the region you are in including your location.

Another one is an app. AlertCops, a citizen security alert service by Spanish Law Enforcement. You will have to register and provide your phone number. During an emergency you can basically send alerts without the need for an extra gesture. Hope it helps

Reception on the primativo last year was pretty good. we were able to WhatsApp or google map practically everywhere we attempted to do so.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.