• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Personal safety device

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It does look interesting. I just hope they test for ear damage if it's that loud.

On the Camino I have always worn a small whistle attatched to the frnot of my backpack, in case of an injury. When scuba diving I also carry a device that emits a very loud noise, but luckily have never had to test it.

It seems to be a very good idea.
The big concern would be inadvertent activation. Hopefully it has an off switch to avoid that problem in pack or bag when not needed.

I can see this as a less sensible idea on the Camino than in your home town.

Anything that give women a bit of a secure feeling is a good thing.
The noise would deter most dirt bag even when in a unpopulated area. They never know how close someone is behind you.
This works on several levels...the email notification would be a problem when walking on the Camino..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like I stated in the Camino Buddy System FB page, I think this is overkill on the camino. I hope nobody ever brings one of those things into my house -- I'd be pretty upset if it went off!
There are VERY few "dirtbags" on the camino. "A feeling of security" is just another burden assigned to women to carry, another way to use fear to sell us more needless Stuff. This doodad, and the fear it's supposed to allay, are burdens pilgrims can hopefully lay down and leave behind.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's fine, but sending a txt msg to half way across the world will do nothing to help you at the moment, it gives a woman a false sense of security I think vigilance is important I see so many woman with head phone so loud I can hear 100 feet behind them, good common sense and a powerful whistle takes care most of the problems. From what I hear the problem is not at the trail anyway but it's after the bars closes

Zzotte

I agree with Zzotte. The other question is, as with cell phones, will it work in Europe ? Each country has it's own "chip", and they are mutually exclusive. I hike the White Mountains in New Hampshire, and I carry a whistle which is supposed to be the "loudest" it is called the Storm. www.stormwhistles.com/storm.html

The sales pitch writes about the alarm to "attract attention of others nearby".:( If one thinks about it, a danger on the Camino might happen :cool:when there aren't "others nearby".:eek: One doesn't need any of the mentioned gadgets when common sense and being alert at all times prevails. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It sounds to me that it has safeguards against it going off accidentally. I don't agree that this is feeding fear and selling more "needless stuff." Possibly not as applicable on the Camino, but I think generally it looks like a Great idea for women in other scenarios! Certainly better than mace or a gun. Thanks for posting it. I shared it with my daughter who lives in New York City.

I think the noise would startle an attacker and give the intended victim a few seconds, either to apply hiking stick to head or make a run for it. I don't think it will put off a determined aggressor for long, though, unless the volume is enough to severely stun the attacker.

The text system seems to be a weak spot, though: the recipients are "urged" to contact the police, but what are they supposed to say? In this respect a SPOT device is better, as the alarm is the equivalent of dialling 112/911, with GPS coordinates. Of course, the SPOT isn't intended as a safety device, but surely a feature like this wouldn't be hard to incorporate in the Athena if it uses the mobile network rather than satellites.

... The other question is, as with cell phones, will it work in Europe ? Each country has it's own "chip", and they are mutually exclusive. ...

Actually that is not true. As long as you have an unlocked cell phone that uses the GSM protocol you can buy a local SIM card that will roam into other countries without a problem, but perhaps a slightly higher price. Alternatively you can just buy a cheap cell on arrival. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for posting Donna. I just pre-ordered it, as I was investigating a louder whistle for future walks. There is nothing adverse about having such a device. Even if I twist my ankle, it could help. I see no downside at all, other than not being able to stay at Reb's.

... I hope nobody ever brings one of those things into my house -- I'd be pretty upset if it went off!

Not to speak of what your pack of dogs and other assorted animals would make of it then ... :confused: Buen albergue, SY

The sales pitch writes about the alarm to "attract attention of others nearby".:( If one thinks about it, a danger on the Camino might happen :cool:when there aren't "others nearby".:eek: One doesn't need any of the mentioned gadgets when common sense and being alert at all times prevails. :)
This bit about one getting into trouble if not using common sense really irriates me. Does this mean that one should only walk in company of others? Does walking alone equate to not using common sense? Poor peregrina2000 or KinkyOne , and all others who enjoy the lesser travelled routes. I am a slow walker, on the Norte andPrimitivo I walked alone 95% of the time. Was I not using common sense? Noone walked at my pace, and I could hadly force them to. On the Roncesvalles route there is quite cliff on the right hand side and I was oncetold of a Japanese man who tumbled down. Assuming he was concious, I'm willing to bet he would have welcomed a loud device for others to hear he was in distress.

And if there's a wierdo, he doesn't know there is noone for kms behind you; this sound may be enough to have him postpone his plans and let you walk on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This bit about one getting into trouble if not using common sense really irriates me. Does this mean that one should only walk in company of others? Does walking alone equate to not using common sense? Poor peregrina2000 or KinkyOne , and all others who enjoy the lesser travelled routes. I am a slow walker, on the Norte andPrimitivo I walked alone 95% of the time. Was I not using common sense? Noone walked at my pace, and I could hadly force them to. On the Roncesvalles route there is quite cliff on the right hand side and I was oncetold of a Japanese man who tumbled down. Assuming he was concious, I'm willing to bet he would have welcomed a loud device for others to hear he was in distress.

And if there's a wierdo, he doesn't know there is noone for kms behind you; this sound may be enough to have him postpone his plans and let you walk on.

Yes, telling women that they can always count on safety by using "common sense" blames the victim. This common sense would tell us to stay locked in the house or at least not to hike alone across a country.

Jill, Anemone what I mean by common sense is been street smart and by no means that blames the victim, that does not you should stop doing thing you like doing it , just do it smarter the same goes for anyone, example if you not familiar with an area why on earth you would want to walk alone at 5am or until 10PM in the woods? back alley, Central park, I say be alert of your surroundings be in a big city or the woods lots of things can happen not just the human factor either the same goes for staying up to 3am drinking with someone you just met do you know what I mean? a loud whistle I think it works better then sending a txt msg to someone 3000 miles way it would only freak them out don't you think so? and been street smart helps too. At least that's what I try to teach all my four kids, learn to deal with it because s*** happens (well they not kids anymore but you get the point)

Zzotte

I agree with what you are describing in the examples above, but how does this apply to the Camino? Would one be using common sense walking the San Salvador at noon in June? And yet anything can happen: a twisted knee, a bump on the head after a fall leading to a concusion, running out of water by forgetting one's bottle by accident at a rest stop and getting dehydrated. Nothing unusual on the Camino, so why not want a loud device to alert those who may be a vood distance away? As for text to family members, why not. Let them know that if it does deploy it's because you are in real trouble, not just for fun, and yes, then they should worry.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's the reason I said a loud whistle, but still against sending a txt msg to someone that can't do anything about it, you be better off calling 112.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back