• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Personal Safety - Solo woman

BalmainGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 12 days (2017)
Hi everyone,

I was really sorry to read today of the experiences some women have had with the balaclava flasher/moron on the way to Viana. This must have been a terrifying experience. I am going to be walking solo from SJPDP from the 11th June. It sounds like this happens later in the day. What is the best time of day to leave for the day's walk to ensure that there are many pilgrims around? Would it be sensible with this person still hanging around to get a taxi through this stretch if it is not busy with walkers?

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm really looking foward to it - but am concerned about the occasional scary story that comes through.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Balmaingirl - quite normal to have these concerns, how else can we be safe unless we look at the unsafe possibilities? but they are very rare you know. If you found the stats on crime in a town of 230,000 people and then compare those to the crime stats for the Camino of 230,000 + pilgrims you would see that the Camino is very safe indeed.

I don't think that any extra precautions need to be made than those when visiting a strange city - to be aware ... never to take that narrow alley in the dark, etc .... the nature of the Camino means that one can easily walk with other pilgrims in sight if one wants to -
- as for trying to predict when and where a predator may appear - this will only lead to constant fear, and that is no way to walk the Camino.

There are two good safety tips - if confronted by someone one doesn't trust immediately take two steps backwards - this removes you from proximity .. and, there is nothing wrong with carrying a really loud whistle, it can cause someone like that to think twice and run away, as well as summoning help - three blasts repeated.

Just remember that even a perfect garden has at least one serpent in it - ;)

I wish you a Buen Camino!!

Hi B-girl
You will be walking at the busiest time of year and so there won't be a shortage of fellow pilgrims if you feel nervous...

As mentioned, these occurrences are so rare... use discernment and intuition but be mindful not to allow fears shadow the potential for joys and discovery. A taxi is not necessary, find someone to walk w to assuage any concerns at the time you step out. Be present, no
need for micro planning.. this is all part of pilgrimage. enjoy your Way!! Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone,

I was really sorry to read today of the experiences some women have had with the balaclava flasher/moron on the way to Viana. This must have been a terrifying experience. I am going to be walking solo from SJPDP from the 11th June. It sounds like this happens later in the day. What is the best time of day to leave for the day's walk to ensure that there are many pilgrims around? Would it be sensible with this person still hanging around to get a taxi through this stretch if it is not busy with walkers?

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm really looking foward to it - but am concerned about the occasional scary story that comes through.
BalmainGirl, there are sometimes taxi numbers on tienda doors, or the locals can tell you. You can try to stay at/leave from a larger albergue (thus among the maximum number of others) when it seems most are heading out (which often seemed to be around 07:30). Beth

I agree a taxi is NOT necessary ... if concerned you will easily find someone to walk with .... I carry poles and small tin hairspray on outside of pack in case self protection necessary in areas I am concerned ..... do not let these instances disempower you

Ultreia

Like the others say, no point in micro planning and trying to predict the behaviour of an unknown person. I will add that men in the habit of doing this form of antisocial behaviour are most likely using a car in any case, and wouldn't go to the same place predictably, otherwise they would be caught in about a week.

It will be very easy to find people to walk with on any given day. You may find by that stage that you have someone you are walking with every day in any case, or actually that you feel safe and aren't bothered.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked alone in 2012. I had no problems and never felt afraid, however did recognize that I was often vulnerable.
I walked during the busiest time-May 28-July 4- yet there were many times when I was completely alone. While I always knew there were people behind me on the road, the reality is they could be minutes or hours away and it only takes a moment for something to happen.
It is not as easy as it sounds to walk with someone; to keep pace with another walker, and the one time I did ask a fellow pilgrim to assist me for a few moments to ease my fear I was asked sarcastically, "Why? Because you're afraid and you think you need someone with you?" I know I asked the wrong person.
A woman traveling alone is very different than a man traveling alone, especially if she is unfamiliar with traveling alone to another country.
All that said, I loved the Camino and want to go back. I know I cannot change how others are going to act or respond, and I cannot change the way the Camino seems to be changing. Before I left the first time people said I was brave, but I didn't know what I didn't know.
Now that I know these things I have a different kind of fear and I realize I'm not as brave as they believed. I want to be brave yet cautious. I want to not be afraid to travel alone and not be fearful or humiliated when I ask for help. I want to remember the hundreds of kilometers of joy and not have them overshadowed by the small instances of danger, real and perceived, that I've been reading about.
Any advice?

I walked alone in 2012. I had no problems and never felt afraid, however did recognize that I was often vulnerable.
I walked during the busiest time-May 28-July 4- yet there were many times when I was completely alone. While I always knew there were people behind me on the road, the reality is they could be minutes or hours away and it only takes a moment for something to happen.
It is not as easy as it sounds to walk with someone; to keep pace with another walker, and the one time I did ask a fellow pilgrim to assist me for a few moments to ease my fear I was asked sarcastically, "Why? Because you're afraid and you think you need someone with you?" I know I asked the wrong person.
A woman traveling alone is very different than a man traveling alone, especially if she is unfamiliar with traveling alone to another country.
All that said, I loved the Camino and want to go back. I know I cannot change how others are going to act or respond, and I cannot change the way the Camino seems to be changing. Before I left the first time people said I was brave, but I didn't know what I didn't know.
Now that I know these things I have a different kind of fear and I realize I'm not as brave as they believed. I want to be brave yet cautious. I want to not be afraid to travel alone and not be fearful or humiliated when I ask for help. I want to remember the hundreds of kilometers of joy and not have them overshadowed by the small instances of danger, real and perceived, that I've been reading about.
Any advice?

MoniRose - thanks for your honest reply - I agree that it is completely different for a women on her own, and men don't always understand how vulnerable we feel, which isn't being critical - bit hard for them to know when they're not women!! I think that's very sad that someone made you feel silly for asking for help - I know I'll be doing the same if I feel I need to. I hope you end up going back to the Camino if you really want to and it's a great experience for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
MoniRose - " the one time I did ask a fellow pilgrim to assist me for a few moments to ease my fear I was asked sarcastically, "Why? Because you're afraid and you think you need someone with you?" I know I asked the wrong person."

There! Another perfect reason to carry at least one custard pie with you on Camino!! What a Twat that man was!!

MoniRose - " the one time I did ask a fellow pilgrim to assist me for a few moments to ease my fear I was asked sarcastically, "Why? Because you're afraid and you think you need someone with you?" I know I asked the wrong person."

There! Another perfect reason to carry at least one custard pie with you on Camino!! What a Twat that man was!!

HaHa! What I said out loud was what I said above, "Thank you. A woman traveling alone is very different from a man traveling alone."
What I said in my head was, "@&*# You!" :cool:

I would not have wasted a pie on him but split it with the four ladies from Barcelona who, when I told them to walk on ahead cuz my foot was hurting, SLOWED their pace for me so we could walk into Burgos together! :)

I am traveling solo the last week of June and all of July on the Camino Portuguese and I feel some trepidation- I am undecided about which route I will take to start but in any case I have read that there are some scary paths -and very isolated in the beginning stages.
I will be trying to connect with fellow pilgrims prior to my start in Lisbon to help me feel more assured.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Too bad you had the experience with that one unhelpful person. I traveled alone and for a few days had a pretty bad limp from a sore leg muscle. I was walking slowly and many people passed me. So many people stopped and asked if I was okay, did I need help, offered support and encouragement AND offered all sorts of drugs and remedies for leg pain (if I had accepted them all I could have opened a pharmacy). ;) I actually began stopping when I heard people approaching and pretended to be enjoying the view so they wouldn't feel the need to "help" me.

You'll be fine. Buen Camino

I am traveling solo the last week of June and all of July on the Camino Portuguese and I feel some trepidation- I am undecided about which route I will take to start but in any case I have read that there are some scary paths -and very isolated in the beginning stages.
I will be trying to connect with fellow pilgrims prior to my start in Lisbon to help me feel more assured.
Please don't let my recent post cause any discouragement or reluctance! Going alone was the best thing I ever did, so much so that I want so badly to do it again. I was scared to death the day I left home but quickly learned to take each moment as it comes.
Fear is irrational and normal (look at me talking to myself here!). I admire you so much for accepting the challenge your heart has put on you. One day soon I will do the same again!
Much love, respect, and encouragement!
Moni

Please don't let my recent post cause any discouragement or reluctance! Going alone was the best thing I ever did, so much so that I want so badly to do it again. I was scared to death the day I left home but quickly learned to take each moment as it comes.
Fear is irrational and normal (look at me talking to myself here!). I admire you so much for accepting the challenge your heart has put on you. One day soon I will do the same again!
Moni
Thanks Moni - it's ladies like you that are giving me the confidence to do this .............

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Moni

Dear Moni
Thank you

Too bad you had the experience with that one unhelpful person. I traveled alone and for a few days had a pretty bad limp from a sore leg muscle. I was walking slowly and many people passed me. So many people stopped and asked if I was okay, did I need help, offered support and encouragement AND offered all sorts of drugs and remedies for leg pain (if I had accepted them all I could have opened a pharmacy). ;) I actually began stopping when I heard people approaching and pretended to be enjoying the view so they wouldn't feel the need to "help" me.

You'll be fine. Buen Camino[/QUOT

thank you!

I don't think the caminos are 100% safe. There I said it! There have been a number of threads in the past where everyone but me said that they were. I wrote once that nowhere is 100% safe, but I strongly believe that rural Spain is safer than most places in the world. Several times Spanish women have said 'whoa' to me when I said I was walking alone. But conversely Brazilians have said to me that you just can't walk in the countryside in Brazil at all (I think they meant for both men and women), and they were so happy to have the safety to do so in Spain. So it's all relative.

I think probably this forum was guilty in the past of having a rather deluded approach where it was all about empowerment, about 'go for it', and not about being realistic. The caminos are not a magic bubble from real life, sorry to say. If you were planning a backpacking trip to Asia, nobody would expect advice from a travel forum that said 'Sure, its safe as houses! The bus journey will provide!'. But thousands of women still go.

I do get a bit scared sometimes before travelling, but never when going to Spain now. If I didn't travel, I would not be who I am. For me the slight risks are well worthwhile.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked all my caminos alone. I experienced the odd guy or two; took lunch with a young French woman who'd been flashed and needed a calming break; had a guy say su cama is mi cama; divested myself of him and kept mi cama to myself. By eighteen or so we women have usually divised strategies to cope with errant men. You will need those tools on Camino as in life. But, Camino does provide. Part of ridding myself from cama guy was done for me by older male pilgrim. I happened along at right time to comfort young French girl. Go for it. Be cautious yes. Take a whistle, yes. If you let fear stop you now.... Well.

Hi everyone,

I am also walking sola from STJPP on June 13th and also somewhat hesitant to leave as early as I was thinking of doing....6:30am. Any suggestions?

Dear Caminhas,
thank you for your input -very much appreciated, A while back in preparing for the Camino Portuguese I read that a girl went missing, (on that Camino) afterward I was rethinking my decision to go it alone but over time my will has won out over fear although I remain trepidatious. I think that whether I choose to do the Camino do Tejo or the Camino Portuguese up to point of Santarem we share a common path, hopefully the Camino will provide me with surety along the way.
After Fatima I head to Tomar, then back on the Camino Portuguese to Porto, from there I am going the Coastal Route.
I welcome any/ all correspondence from fellow travelers July 2017

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The only time I felt uncomfortable walking solo was outside of Itero de la Vega where a smal sedan was parked on the path. When I got close (and there was no one else in sight in eiher direction) the guy jumped out of his car and hurried my way. I put on my determined scowl and upped my pace to pass him. As I did he told me to skip the first cafe in town and try theirs instead and handed me an address. I hurried on into town. Had zumo de naranja at the first cafe and lunch at the second (and bought groceries at the mercado on the same block)

Go and enjoy yourself. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be cautious, but not paranoid !!!!!!!!!! You will meet other solo walkers as well.
Once you finish this journey you will look back and laugh at the thought(s) you had prior to your walk.........

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes the Camino is a special place but it still is real life. Bad people can show up anywhere. But I do believe that the Camino is probably safer than most places where one would walk because you are surrounded by like minded people who are all doing the same thing. And they do look out for each other.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I arrive in SJPdP on 5 June & will be walking my 1st Camino solo from 7th . I'm not nervous about doing it on my own as I know the Camino will support me & reveal herself in every step. Whatever that may be. I know I will be ok. I may take a whistle as that seems a 'sensible' thing to do. I've also been told by others who have walked Camino that you are never really alone. Especially during Spring & Summer. Walking mindfully is my only plan...and to enjoy of course.
Buen Camino :)

Yes, taking a whistle is a good idea. Also keep another pilgrim in sight in front and behind, which will be easy in June and July. Above all, be mindful of what is around you without being paranoid. Just some suggestions from a man.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If the whistle won't work immediately and you need to defend yourself while waiting for help, the walking stick/trekking pole may have another use. Here are some quick-to-learn moves that are better than random strikes or feeling helpless (Instructions are in the link. Just skip the Arnis mumbo jumbo).

Dear moderators, you know best. Please remove this post if it is inappropriate.

Credit: http://www.thestickchick.com/2015/12/a-secret-of-12-angles-of-attack.html or
url

upload_2017-5-30_11-6-5.png

I arrive in SJPdP on 5 June & will be walking my 1st Camino solo from 7th . I'm not nervous about doing it on my own as I know the Camino will support me & reveal herself in every step. Whatever that may be. I know I will be ok. I may take a whistle as that seems a 'sensible' thing to do. I've also been told by others who have walked Camino that you are never really alone. Especially during Spring & Summer. Walking mindfully is my only plan...and to enjoy of course.
Buen Camino :)
We may cross paths, angelab - I start walking the 8th. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dear Susilyn
Please try to be aware but not wary! We can convince ourselves that something might happen and induce a little paranoia! Take a whistle and walk as you would any where. Enjoy the people, the country, and the way. You will be fine! Have that attitude that you will be fine and enjoy yourself. Sometimes attitude can change the whole experience. When I get lost or have an unpleasant experience I say to myself that it's part of the adventure! Bon Camino
Micah

Just finished my french camino and was very safe. Met dozens of young women doing it alone and everyone was fine and made many friends:)

Back in time on this forum I remember reading about a mother walking with her teen-aged daughter. They were approached by a flasher type. The mother had the presence of mind to whip out her smartphone as if to take a picture of the offender. This sent the guy quickly running off in the opposite direction - just a thought.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree a taxi is NOT necessary ... if concerned you will easily find someone to walk with .... I carry poles and small tin hairspray on outside of pack in case self protection necessary in areas I am concerned ..... do not let these instances disempower you

Ultreia

A friend and I will walk that part in late September, but comming from South Africa, that doesn't scare me a bit.:(but I like the idea of a whistle and/or small spray can!!

Can anyone recommend cheap accommodation in Pamplona for two nights, close to the Camino shop and also in Santiago for three nights?

In Santiago I really enjoy Hotel Montenegro. A great boutique style hotel

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I really could not provide that since room rates vary and change by the minute, especially during peak seasons. But I will guarantee it is beautiful, clean and comfortable.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back