• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pesticides On The Camino Frances

Matt89013

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to do the Camino soon!
I have walked most of the Camino Frances about two years ago (Pamplona to Santiago) and I am wanting to go back and do it again! There is one question I wanted to ask to see if anyone has experienced this. I remember one morning when I was walking by a series of large fields and noticed a tractor applying (I think) pesticides. The pesticides were being blown in vapor form (not sprayed) from the back of the tractor which produced a greenish fog.

I noticed this happening but kept walking and there was one point when the tractor was driving right next to me. A couple of days later, I had a very bad cold and cough which lasted for a few days. Of course, I don't know for sure that what came out from the tractor caused this, but I have read that it can. I also saw a sign in an albergue warning about this but there was just a sentence about it, no real description.

I'm just wanting to know if anyone else has seen this and if I can avoid it next time I walk the Camino. Perhaps are there certain times of the day when the farmers do this?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't know much about farming in Spain; never ran into spraying on the camino. But I was (now retired) a farmer in the USA. Crop spraying will take place if possible when there is no wind, and when rain is not threatening. In the US there are regulations about "overspray" which would hit roads, etc. I'm sure they have regs in Spain too, but farmers are subject to the vagaries of weather, and "overspray" does occur. I hope this doesn't start a fire war, but unless you have an allergic or other sensitivity, the minor amount of chemical you would get this way is very unlikely to cause immediate illness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What you have seen might not be pesticides but a very normal form of fertiliser very common here in Europe. Couldn't really found the right english word for it (might not exist?! - in German it's called "Gülle") and is a mixture of excrements and urine of animals, mostly of cows.

It stinks like hell but it's very natural and whenever I smell it, I am actually happy to see that farmers are using this method that is much more environmental friendly than any other artificial chemical ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What you have seen might not be pesticides but a very normal form of fertiliser very common here in Europe. Couldn't really found the right english word for it (might not exist?! - in German it's called "Gülle") and is a mixture of excrements and urine of animals, mostly of cows.

It stinks like hell but it's very natural and whenever I smell it, I am actually happy to see that farmers are using this method that is much more environmental friendly than any other artificial chemistry ;)

Idem here in our country!!

Good point, SabineP. Not everything from a sprayer is toxic. It could any of a number of organic and/or nontoxic materials.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agricultural Lime is also sprayed mixed with water , it is classed as a simple irritant but can be quite distressing in its effects , especially if you don't know just what it is . It is often mistaken for pesticide due to it peculiar smell and noxious appearance .
It can irritate the mucous membranes and give sore throat / cold like symptoms , including red and itchy eyes especially if you are unfortunate enough to pass through a cloud of it .
The up side is that unless you have a respiratory illness you are unlikely to suffer lasting effects and if you are susceptible the simple expediency of a wet handkerchief or bandanna over the mouth and nose will filter out the relatively large Lime particulates and allow you to continue on your way .
Sprays of any kind cost money and time to apply and so there is this small economic security, unless caught out by erratic weather a farmer is unlikely to spray in conditions that would waste spray on roadsides and adjoining properties

I have walked most of the Camino Frances about two years ago (Pamplona to Santiago) and I am wanting to go back and do it again! There is one question I wanted to ask to see if anyone has experienced this. I remember one morning when I was walking by a series of large fields and noticed a tractor applying (I think) pesticides. The pesticides were being blown in vapor form (not sprayed) from the back of the tractor which produced a greenish fog.

I noticed this happening but kept walking and there was one point when the tractor was driving right next to me. A couple of days later, I had a very bad cold and cough which lasted for a few days. Of course, I don't know for sure that what came out from the tractor caused this, but I have read that it can. I also saw a sign in an albergue warning about this but there was just a sentence about it, no real description.

I'm just wanting to know if anyone else has seen this and if I can avoid it next time I walk the Camino. Perhaps are there certain times of the day when the farmers do this?
I experience somewhat the same thing last year. A couple and I were walking the Camino when a tractor was doing the spraying, it wouldn't stop so we ran . Nevertheless it overtook us. I cover my moth with a handkerchief so I would not ingest it. These pesticide sprayers should be made aware to stop and lest people pass by before spraying.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sometimes it is not so easy to shut a spray system down no matter what the spray media is . Most tractors use a ' ground speed system ' to ensure a constant and even distribution of the sprayed material . This in practice means that the spray system is linked to the speed the tractor travels at and if it is shut off or the tractor stops the application rate for the area some tens of metres before and after is affected . If it is fertiliser the crops may be retarded in their growth or pesticides or herbicide may be applied in rates that either affect Human health or destroy crops .
Farming is a tough business , I play at it at my largely organic hobby farm and consequently have a huge respect for the modern farmer who makes their living from , while respecting both the land and the environment . I can't condone the wholesale use of chemical sprays but I do see that the responsible use of some targeted solutions to counter the problems encountered in monocultural crops is absolutely necessary .

It stinks like hell but it's very natural and whenever I smell it, I am actually happy to see that farmers are using this method that is much more environmental friendly than any other artificial chemical ;)
trust me what I saw was not fertilizer, he was wearing special gear and mask.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, this is agricultural land and from my perspective the landholder's rights are paramount. We are incredibly lucky to have the right of way that we do. It might be feasible to make allowances for a couple of walkers, but with the numbers now walking the Camino Francés it is quite unreasonable to expect farmers to stop their work whenever someone walks by. If they did, they would never get anything done. I think they are amazingly tolerant of us as it is; I have family who live and work on a farm and they are vehemently opposed to a move to turn an old railway track into a walking trail - because of how it will impact on their farming activities.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.