• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peter Pan Moment

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
I was thinking last nite,
I would love to move to Spain and be near the Camino,
I wouldnt have to spend xxx amount to fly over now and then

I would be able to live on or near one of the ways,and travel many times more than what ide be able to do,
I wonder if Spain would want me?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whether this is Jung's "Puer Aeternus" or "Wise Old Man", only you can say.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Whether this is Jung's "Puer Aeternus" or "Wise Old Man", only you can say.
I am not running from...
I feel as if ime walking to...
I have been in service of Man from an early age.
I matured early due to childhood trauma.
I impressed with service as a calling and it has given me great and immeasurable peace.

But now,selfishly
I..there it is again..I
Wish to follow some greater good.

I feel that my next phase,a metamorphosis,is there.
I said selfish
We dont live much past 70 years
Ime 47

Only a man
But with a burning enquenched fire
There are words..
But ive not slept and my muse is petulant at my current schedual
Peace

It's worth trying for a month of two, to see what it's really like day to day.

I will try to get my Schengen Visa when the time comes.
I speak colloquial. Spanish from the Texas border and ime sure it will be perfectly servicable.
My plan would be to volunteer at some Albuerge for a while.
I am medically retired so time is open.

The romantic aspect aside..
That is,the newness of far horizons to be seen and experienced. I would immerse in the Culture.
I know its not easy living there
But being part of something bigger,more worthwhile draws me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Spain is offering permanent residency through their "Golden Visa" program to anyone who invests 500,000 euros in property. I think I'm going to just go that route.

By the way, can anyone loan me like 499,950 euros? I'll totally pay you back!
Just remember that it also taxes it's permanent resident's property ANYWHERE in the world!

William, sounds more like the "wise old man" then. BTW, I was just responding to the post title! Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am looking into this prospect as well, and have done since I returned from living in Belgium from 2006 - 2008. After three Caminos, and at least two round trips to Spain a year, plus all the ancillary ground support costs, I figured out that I can rent a furnished flat in Santiago de Compostela for almost the same amount of money. Then I could be a full-time volunteer...:)

The visa thing is relatively simple. What you want is the Type "D" Schengen visa, or Spain's equivalent. That gives you the right to reside in Spain, buy property, a car, etc., but not to work. The Schengen version of the Type D visa should be useable in any Schengen country, regardless of where is was issued. But I am unclear on this point.

The visa is good for up to five years (in Spain), and renews annually. The visa term is only four years in some other Euro countries but renewable annually. You just visit your local ayuntamiento, or maybe the Guardia Civil (not clear which), annually to update your information, pay another fee, and have your five-year visa annotated / revalidated for another year.

You apply for the visa in your home country by checking for the nearest Spanish consulate or the embassy, depending on where you live. There are forms (in Spanish of course), a physical examination requirement, and a criminal background check required. The latter item can be requested online from the FBI. It is merely a check of the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system (CPIC in Canada), the same system the police "run" your license against whenever you are pulled over for a traffic stop.

The advantage to having legal TEMPORARY residence is that, under bilateral treaties between the US and most every country in the world, you are NOT considered a resident for local tax purposes. Thus, while you still (and always and ever) must pay US income taxes no matter where your income originates and anywhere on the planet, you do not have to pay Spanish, French, Belgian, German, Italian, etc. income taxes. If you own real estate, you DO have to pay those taxes. There may be other local taxes you must pay as well since you ARE living there. The bilateral treaties only affect federal level income taxes.

Once you become a PERMANENT RESIDENT of any European state, under the bilateral treaties, you are liable to pay BOTH US federal income taxes, AND the national income taxes where you live. Under the treaties the amount you ow the Euro state is offset or reduced by the amount you paid to Washington. However, at the end of the day, you still end up paying income taxes at European rates. Ouch!

I hope this helps.

Thanks , t2andreo, for clarifying the taxing differences between temporary and permanent residence. I was just looking to see if I had any jewish ancestry,to qualify for Spain's offer of citizenship. Does the taxing differences also apply? I would assume that you would have to pay both entities unless you renounce US citizenship.

No, you only have to pay tax in one country!
I am an American with permanent residency in Spain. I pay taxes in Spain on my worldwide income. The confusion arises with America's insistence on me FILING an American 1040 form every year, even though I owe no tax. International tax treaties say I only have to pay in the country where I reside more than six months in the year. It is a hassle, and it is invasive, but I don't have a lot of choice.
It is not cheap, but when I figure in the fact that I get free high-quality health care in Spain, it's very much worth it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is interesting. I live in Doha, Qatar and have residency. The income I earn in Qatar is tax free for the first $98,000 according to US tax law; everything over that amount is taxable in the US.

No, you only have to pay tax in one country!
I am an American with permanent residency in Spain. I pay taxes in Spain on my worldwide income. The confusion arises with America's insistence on me FILING an American 1040 form every year, even though I owe no tax. International tax treaties say I only have to pay in the country where I reside more than six months in the year. It is a hassle, and it is invasive, but I don't have a lot of choice.
It is not cheap, but when I figure in the fact that I get free high-quality health care in Spain, it's very much worth it!

Rebekah:

Thanks for clarifying. I believed that the treaty provided an " offset" for what you paid to Madrid, with the net result being that you paid the higher of the two country's taxes. But your post cleared it up.

It still pays NOT to be a resident for tax purposes if you do not need Spanish services. My health coverage is portable and works overseas as well. But my situation may be unique. My entire income comes from the U.S. That might skew things as well.

Thanks again.

Thanks , t2andreo, for clarifying the taxing differences between temporary and permanent residence. I was just looking to see if I had any jewish ancestry,to qualify for Spain's offer of citizenship. Does the taxing differences also apply? I would assume that you would have to pay both entities unless you renounce US citizenship.

See Rebekah Scott's post. Also, I am certain that you are not on the hook to pay Spanish taxes unless you have permanent residency (as Rebekah does). Clearly, if you have Spanish citizenship, they are going to want their proverbial " pound of flesh."

I do know that, even as a temporary resident on a Type D Schengen Visa you will likely have to file a tax return in two countries. Rebekah is very correct on this point.

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am looking into this prospect as well, and have done since I returned from living in Belgium from 2006 - 2008. After three Caminos, and at least two round trips to Spain a year, plus all the ancillary ground support costs, I figured out that I can rent a furnished flat in Santiago de Compostela for almost the same amount of money. Then I could be a full-time volunteer...:)

The visa thing is relatively simple. What you want is the Type "D" Schengen visa, or Spain's equivalent. That gives you the right to reside in Spain, buy property, a car, etc., but not to work. The Schengen version of the Type D visa should be useable in any Schengen country, regardless of where is was issued. But I am unclear on this point.

The visa is good for up to five years (in Spain), and renews annually. The visa term is only four years in some other Euro countries but renewable annually. You just visit your local ayuntamiento, or maybe the Guardia Civil (not clear which), annually to update your information, pay another fee, and have your five-year visa annotated / revalidated for another year.

You apply for the visa in your home country by checking for the nearest Spanish consulate or the embassy, depending on where you live. There are forms (in Spanish of course), a physical examination requirement, and a criminal background check required. The latter item can be requested online from the FBI. It is merely a check of the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system (CPIC in Canada), the same system the police "run" your license against whenever you are pulled over for a traffic stop.

The advantage to having legal TEMPORARY residence is that, under bilateral treaties between the US and most every country in the world, you are NOT considered a resident for local tax purposes. Thus, while you still (and always and ever) must pay US income taxes no matter where your income originates and anywhere on the planet, you do not have to pay Spanish, French, Belgian, German, Italian, etc. income taxes. If you own real estate, you DO have to pay those taxes. There may be other local taxes you must pay as well since you ARE living there. The bilateral treaties only affect federal level income taxes.

Once you become a PERMANENT RESIDENT of any European state, under the bilateral treaties, you are liable to pay BOTH US federal income taxes, AND the national income taxes where you live. Under the treaties the amount you ow the Euro state is offset or reduced by the amount you paid to Washington. However, at the end of the day, you still end up paying income taxes at European rates. Ouch!

I hope this helps.

It helps immensely!
There is hope to be had.
As Rebeka said,to do a trial run is prudent.
I planned on a 90 day Camino experience initially to fully immerse and fill my souls batterys by a long distance pilgrimage.
And to be a part of the community in some small way would be helpfull
Thank you!

Ime counting the months right now
For now it is 15ish to go.
Depending on the pennies saved and the early booking of a flight

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.