• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peter Robins "Pilgrim Routes Database"

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

On Wednesday I had a nice lunch with @Peter Robins and @grayland that also was in town after finishing his Camino Frances.

For those of you that do not know Peter, he joined the forum in February 2005 (11 years ago!) and was crucial in the success of the forum in the early days.

Peter would like to create a small group of people that can help him continue his Map Database Project that has been his "baby" for many years. His project used to be stored on his pages: http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/ but has now been moved over to GitHub (a place where open source projects can be shared). More on this here as well.

What Peter has created are tracks of all Camino and also many many other routes around Europe. But since these routes change a lot, his tracks are now out of date and he needs help with keeping the tracks up to date.

Each GitHub project is a small community in itself, where people can sign up and create and discuss "Issues" related to the project. The idea is for those that are interested in helping out, please sign up on GitHub and contribute.

How can you contribute?
First have a look here what Peter writes on the GitHub page. My understanding is that there are two kinds of contributors. People that report errors/mistakes/route changes (no technical skills required) and those that are a bit more technical and may be able to help in applying these changes to the tracks using mapping software.

So for example if you see a mistake in the track, maybe the route has changed. When you see this, you can create an "issue". The community will discuss this and if the ones that are in charge of the community agree, they will make the suggested change and apply it to the track that are published.

So if you are interested, head on over to the project page here. Sign up and head on over to the "Issues" page, where you can see a few issues that Peter has created. Clicking on each issue, you will see that it is a discussion thread much like the ones you find on this forum.

Also have a look at the introduction page that Peter has written about this project.
https://github.com/pilgrimdb/pilgrimdb.github.io

Peter is currently walking, but will be back home in mid March so he might not be as responsive to any contact until then.

My hope is that we can create a small group of people interested in this topic and see if we can get this project rolling again. The most difficult part is getting the ball rolling, after a while things go by itself.

Thanks all!
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have missed this. I will try to contribute after my camino this year. It is an excellent initiative.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back