• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peter Robins site closing.

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Various ones.
For those of you who don't know Peter Robins Walking Pilgrim site it is a very useful place to get detailed maps of Camino's and other pilgrimage routes around Europe, I was looking at it today and it had a notice that it was closing this spring. Sad to see it go. Thanks for for providing us with a great resource Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you. We'll miss the resource:(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is sad. I hope he keeps the data online so we can have access to it. It has been useful to me at least.

Hi, clearskies,
Someone who understands the technology behind the Robins' maps site explained to me that there is no way to keep it online without ongoing maintenance and upkeep. (Translation: money for programs like GIS and time will be required). Hopefully, Ivar will find a good solution.

Hi, clearskies,
Someone who understands the technology behind the Robins' maps site explained to me that there is no way to keep it online without ongoing maintenance and upkeep. (Translation: money for programs like GIS and time will be required). Hopefully, Ivar will find a good solution.

Aha..thanks for the explanation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those of you who don't know Peter Robins Walking Pilgrim site it is a very useful place to get detailed maps of Camino's and other pilgrimage routes around Europe, I was looking at it today and it had a notice that it was closing this spring. Sad to see it go. Thanks for for providing us with a great resource Peter.
This is a huge loss. Particularly the GeoLocate feature with the IGN maps and routes, which I just discovered this last trip.

Hi,

When I read this information on his web site, I began to save the GPS files for the routes in France and more ...

Théo

Hopefully Ivar will find a way for it to continue, if he does many of the links need updating and additional routes and contacts added, I would like to help that part if possible and probably hazard a guess that maybe a few other posters would be willing to be involved with it in someway.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hello everyone. All is not yet lost. I've put some more details on my site at http://www.peterrobins.co.uk/futurepilgrim.html

I will be in Santiago next week, from Saturday eve, and plan to meet up with Ivar to discuss this further. If anyone else happens to be in Santiago and would like to participate, I expect that can be arranged. (I also plan to
walk out to Finisterre and polish off the new bits of the Ingles from Corunna I didn't do in 1995, yes, over 20 years ago now - my, my, tempus fugit ...)

hello everyone. All is not yet lost. I've put some more details on my site at http://www.peterrobins.co.uk/futurepilgrim.html

I will be in Santiago next week, from Saturday eve, and plan to meet up with Ivar to discuss this further. If anyone else happens to be in Santiago and would like to participate, I expect that can be arranged. (I also plan to
walk out to Finisterre and polish off the new bits of the Ingles from Corunna I didn't do in 1995, yes, over 20 years ago now - my, my, tempus fugit ...)
Hi Peter

The first link in the text on the website you listed above is pointing to the wrong location

The home page is at https://pilgrimdb.github.io/ and I’ve set up some issues on the Github site where the source is.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
He's done fantastic pioneering work over many years. In many ways he has pointed the way to the guides of the future.

The pilgrim community owes Peter a great debt for all of his effort.

THANK YOU PETER!
Well said JW

Although this is an old thread, I note that the website really will not be available after May this year.

"The Walking Pilgrim" has been my inspiration. I could not begin to calculate the number of hours I've spent pouring over the beautiful maps, with my head in Spain. I have downloaded screenshots of the entire VdlP at large scale onto my iPhone for my upcoming Camino. It doesn't matter if there are outdated route lines. You can always find out where you are. Much more fun than Google Maps with GPS! (.....Now that IS cheating!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I first began to look at the Camino 14 years ago, Peter's site was one of the first and best available. Not only was it great use to me in understanding the Camino, but it provided many happy hours of reading and dreaming. Might I join those in thanking him for his work?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.