Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

Petition to stop "Disneyland-ification" of Cruz de Ferro

pellegrino

Year of past OR future Camino
Various since 1998
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
I don't believe this has been posted already. If so, sorry for the duplication.

A regional government plan is in the works to "improve" the Cruz de Ferro area in a way that seems very misguided.: https://www.gronze.com/articulos/pr...-cruz-ferro-solivianta-al-mundo-jacobeo-21426

You can sign a petition to halt the project, here:

Utterly pointless. It’s already on the ‘tourist trail’ - and what are we several hundred thousand walkers each year if not tourists?

The bus tours already visit. The numbers will increase and it’s inevitable that parking and toilet facilities will be provided in due course.

There is a recent thread already discussing the proposal.

There are things still worth dying in a ditch for, but this isn’t one of them. In my opinion, of course.

The best time to go anywhere was several years ago. Always was, always will be.

C clearly

Staff member
I don't believe this has been posted already.

Look at this thread from Feb 2020, as some of the discussion is still relevant. It seems that an earlier proposal was turned down, and there is now a modified proposal that this new petition is opposing.

It is hard to reach a conclusion on the subject without seeing the proposal.

Holy Year Credential
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
Utterly pointless. It’s already on the ‘tourist trail’ - and what are we several hundred thousand walkers each year if not tourists?

The bus tours already visit. The numbers will increase and it’s inevitable that parking and toilet facilities will be provided in due course.

There are things still worth dying in a ditch for, but this isn’t one of them. In my opinion, of course.

The best time to go anywhere was several years ago. Always was, always will be.
I like the last sentence. Could be classified as nostalgia which I'm very fond of so alternatively I'll go for the future! As time can be construed as circular it means I hurtle forward till I eventually come back to the point I want to be at! This means of course I am up my own bum which may not be allowed on this nice pilgrim forum! :)

Yours in extremis

Samarkand !
:)

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
I like the last sentence. Could be classified as nostalgia which I'm very fond of so alternatively I'll go for the future! As time can be construed as circular it means I hurtle forward till I eventually come back to the point I want to be at! This means of course I am up my own bum which may not be allowed on this nice pilgrim forum! :)

Yours in extremis

Samarkand !
:)

From day to day, nothing changes - but when we look back everything is different. (Paraphrasing C S Lewis)

Nostalgia - it’s not what it used to be. (The often under-rated Bob Monkhouse)

D

Paladina

old woman of the roads
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
I'm offended more by the mounting pile of pilgrim litter, conspicuous by its absence from the splendid photo posted by @Anthony18, than by the proposed 'Disneyfication' of a cross already demeaned by discarded photos, clothing, baubles, plastic toys and every other material expression of the I woz here type.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Last edited:

PloddingAlong

CF - May 2012
CF - May 2016
Slightly off topic, but I’ve been to Cruz de Ferro, and was surprised to see all of those large boulders on the pile. My puny stone seemed somehow inadequate compared to them, and I imagined how difficult it must have been carrying those heavy rocks all that way in a backpack! Ha! Seriously though, how did those boulders come to be there?

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Holy Year Credential
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
Slightly off topic, but I’ve been to Cruz de Ferro, and was surprised to see all of those large boulders on the pile. My puny stone seemed somehow inadequate compared to them, and I imagined how difficult it must have been carrying those heavy rocks all that way in a backpack! Ha! Seriously though, how did those boulders come to be there?
could be a serious hint from the council workers who periodically have to shift the accumulation of debris that piles up from pilgrims . As I have stated many years ago, you DONT have to bring a stone: you are standing on bloody tons of it! Could well be the foundations for the new lavvies of course! Social distancing? Those Romans have a lot to answer for!

Buen Camino!

Samarkand.

Chris Gi

Did April through June 2018 from Pamplona to Santiago.
2020 May or end of September - NO!
2021 ?
From day to day, nothing changes - but when we look back everything is different. (Paraphrasing C S Lewis)

Nostalgia - it’s not what it used to be. (The often under-rated Bob Monkhouse)

D
I remember Bob Monkhouse!

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 60 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 207 15.0%
  • May