• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Petty theft

Walton

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
We stayed at alburgue in Zuberi last night and had a lovely stay and pilgrims meal there.
With our guard down we left some clothes and personal items unattended. On our return from breakfast we discovered someone had stolen some clothing and toiletries.
The spirit of the Camino and people on this journey has been truely delightful and without wishing to cause alarm we have learned that not everyone has the same good intention.
To the two girls who shared our room who hurriedly departed when the theft was noticed ....people in that same room know who you are and they are close behind you. Also to them in the unlikely event that they read this post, we hope the Camino teaches the value of the virtue of honesty and trust.
What we lost can easily be replaced. The lesson we learned is that one cannot be complacent.
The message to everyone is to enjoy your journey but be careful with your belongings
Buen Camino
Walton

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As upsetting as this is for you - most 'thefts' on the Camino are simply a case of 'mistaken identity' Most clothes that are 'stolen' in dim light are not stolen but sincerely confused for being ones own. As for

"people in that same room know who you are and they are close behind you"

I am just shaking my head.

Buen Camino, SY

A sad tale. Most of us are very careful with our more obvious valuables - passport, cash and so on - but there is a limit to how much you can keep your other belongings under watch. A great pity when the trust which we necessarily place in the people we share space with is broken in this way. I hope this does not sour your experience of the Camino too deeply.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We stayed at alburgue in Zuberi last night and had a lovely stay and pilgrims meal there.
With our guard down we left some clothes and personal items unattended. On our return from breakfast we discovered someone had stolen some clothing and toiletries.
The spirit of the Camino and people on this journey has been truely delightful and without wishing to cause alarm we have learned that not everyone has the same good intention.
To the two girls who shared our room who hurriedly departed when the theft was noticed ....people in that same room know who you are and they are close behind you. Also to them in the unlikely event that they read this post, we hope the Camino teaches the value of the virtue of honesty and trust.
What we lost can easily be replaced. The lesson we learned is that one cannot be complacent.
The message to everyone is to enjoy your journey but be careful with your belongings
Buen Camino
Walton

Walton ,

Are you SURE they were the culprits? If not , a very harsh statement. Very harsh indeed.
Might it be possible they left " hurriedly " because they did not want to be part of some melodrama ?

Buen Camino and Ultreia!

As an offset to recent posts about staying in Zubiri - lack of beds, and now missing personal items can I share my experience of the town? First of all there is a well-stocked grocery store down a side road from the sports shop and up the street from the bridge going into town is a very good cafe/bakery.

I arrived after 4pm with another peregrina and most places were completo so we considered ourselves lucky to be given the last two beds at the private albergue just by the bridge. Also staying there was a party of young Spanish pilgrims and another group from Brazil. These people were loud and enjoying themselves and took over the kitchen in the very best way making food for everyone who wanted to join them, and while it was cooking, sharing the local cheese and wine. There were five of us whose first language was English, so we were selected by the group to vote on whether the Spanish or the Brazilian group had cooked the best food. Despite there being only five of us we managed to avoid an international incident by handing over the slips of paper which now somehow amounted to six, with three for each. The party went on long after I had gone to bed - but they didn't disturb us and, being young, they were up at the crack of dawn and out on the road to Pamplona before any of us older folk.

So sorry that happened--how frustrating that must be, and so early in your walk! But at least you are arriving in Pamplona soon...anything you need can be replaced. As I limped my way from Roncesvalles toward Pamplona, I compiled quite a shopping list (from extra batteries to hair dryer) :)
I'm wishing the rest of your journey is safe and pleasant.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
SY - the items were taken from my bed - there was no mistake. It was full daylight.
Sabine - maybe my post was a little harsh - apologies.
Other people noticed suspicious behaviour - not us. Alerted, we then discovered our loss while they left with much hurry.
Our only reason for posting was to warn others to please be careful.
Yes - they may have needed our clothes but they each had an iPhone which they used a lot. Needy? maybe not.
The Albergue has their names and identity details which they did not disclose to us. In any case, did not want to involve police in such a petty theft and we told others in the dorm room during our discussions about our loss and while they were checking themselves to see if anything else was taken from them, to say and do nothing should they see these two again.
We just wanted to warn others to be careful.
I thought my carefully worded post was considerate and compassionate. Apologies to whomever it may have upset.
If it is causing angst, moderators please delete.
Thank you.
(edited for clearer English)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Zuberi
Lovely place, yet it seems a lot of us meet up with folks who do things to give caution to the pilgrim. Reality has to be checked off, sometimes it is painfull yet always in the end helpful.
Buen Camino

I believe the OP was well worded and well intended. The OP did not identify the persons they suspect of the theft by name or nationality.
The circumstances described would generate some thought that the incident was likely reported correctly.
The Camino is no longer (if it ever was) a crime free journey.
Sadly..it is what it is. Be warned and alert.

Most important....the intent of the post was to warn new Pilgrims to not be lulled into a false sense of security because everyone seems "so nice".

Zubiri is the 2nd or 3rd night after SJPdP for most people.
Excitement and goodwill are still the prominent emotion.

I am just starting my journey. I am so far far away and have so little i do not know if i will ever make the journey. i am saddened by the posting and some of the human responses. This is my first blog exploring this site. this is my first publication in this site. one is reminded that only sinners make the camino. it is my hope and prayer that the ones making the journey better themselves and make life better for those around them. the evil one must be ever present in the objective to take away one's true focus of the Camino. "buen camino" is given with the good intention that your trip is good but with the knowledge that bad things could happen along the way (just like every day living). It is how we move forward from those experiences, albeit even from a journey you would hope nothing bad would occur, and remain focused on our goal that make life worth living. It may be maddening for the moment but it is not worth harboring (it has happened to me). I appreciate your warning and reminder. Keep the faith, enjoy the journey (this was only a small part of it) especially in light of the fact that there are some of us that would love to be on that path (yet for some reason can not be there), help someone in front of you, and if you catch up to those girls just smile and forgive (any other action simply is not worth effecting your grand journey to feel the presence of a saint (when empirically you can only find his bones) and find the connection towards God's great Glory). I have no idea why you are doing the Camino but you may or may not figure it out by the time you are done. God's speed. -Robert H.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm very sorry this happened to you, Walton. Well. Patience, forgiveness...and if you meet them later, it'd an opportunity to quietly but directly share some life lessons about ethics. It could be life changing for them.
Good luck and buen camino!

And...I doubt it happens much, but I've met at least one person who I thought was an 'imitation pilgrim,' there with the intention to scam the rest of us--and this impression was later confirmed by a hospitalera. This person was walking from Santiago, which made it hard for the Camino wireless to do much in the way of warning others or catching up to the scammer.
Since medieval times, pilgrims have attracted others who are less than holy. So it pays to be cautious but not paranoid about objects you don't want to lose.

I believe the OP was well worded and well intended. The OP did not identify the persons they suspect of the theft by name or nationality.
The circumstances described would generate some thought that the incident was likely reported correctly.
The Camino is no longer (if it ever was) a crime free journey.
Sadly..it is what it is. Be warned and alert.

Most important....the intent of the post was to warn new Pilgrims to not be lulled into a false sense of security because everyone seem "so nice".

Zubiri is the 2nd or 3rd night after SJPdP for most people.
Excitement and goodwill are still the prominent emotion.
Thank you Greyland - your words reflect my reason for posting.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am just starting my journey. I am so far far away and have so little i do not know if i will ever make the journey. i am saddened by the posting and some of the human responses. This is my first blog exploring this site. this is my first publication in this site. one is reminded that only sinners make the camino. it is my hope and prayer that the ones making the journey better themselves and make life better for those around them. the evil one must be ever present in the objective to take away one's true focus of the Camino. "buen camino" is given with the good intention that your trip is good but with the knowledge that bad things could happen along the way (just like every day living). It is how we move forward from those experiences, albeit even from a journey you would hope nothing bad would occur, and remain focused on our goal that make life worth living. It may be maddening for the moment but it is not worth harboring (it has happened to me). I appreciate your warning and reminder. Keep the faith, enjoy the journey (this was only a small part of it) especially in light of the fact that there are some of us that would love to be on that path (yet for some reason can not be there), help someone in front of you, and if you catch up to those girls just smile and forgive (any other action simply is not worth effecting your grand journey to feel the presence of a saint (when empirically you can only find his bones) and find the connection towards God's great Glory). I have no idea why you are doing the Camino but you may or may not figure it out by the time you are done. God's speed. -Robert H.
Thank you Robert. Yes, If I see these two again, I will just smile and lift my long trousers to show them my socks. The guilt is theirs to bear and for me, l have long let go of revengeful thoughts and my spirit is light and looking forward to the remainder of this journey.

Maybe whoever took your stuff needed it more than you did. Jill

I rather hope that all of us in need of something, on the road or in life, find the courage and humility to let go of our egos. Take the chance confide in new friends and fellow travelers about wants and requirements and fears and hopes, rather than resorting to theft.

Last edited:
I am just starting my journey. I am so far far away and have so little i do not know if i will ever make the journey. i am saddened by the posting and some of the human responses. This is my first blog exploring this site. this is my first publication in this site....
Welcome to the forum @Robert H. You'll find a entire range of input here - just as you would if you were physically amongst a large crowd of people. There're also many different nationalities & languages involved; people from all walks of life; and last but not least, people covering a wide spectrum of ages. It makes for some interesting conversations that can sometimes get heated:D. Happily our moderators step in if it gets too wild:eek:
Enjoy, your Camino has started :)
Buen Camino
Suzanne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last May, a few days west of Burgos, I had washed, dried, and folded my tee shirt, underwear, and socks and laid them neatly on my bed. Off I headed to dinner. When I returned , all that remain on my bunk was my tee shirt. Mistaken identity or poor light? Naw, I don't think so.

Later, at Viatoris in Shagun my hiking partner washed her very expensive hiking pants, leggings, and tee shirt and hung them out to dry in the small court yard. Just before sundown she went back to get them and, you guessed it, all three items were gone, and nothing else was on the clothes rack. Mistaken identity, poor light...naw. Probably each time we "donated" to pilgrims that had not brought enough or took pride in "packing extra light" and found out they were a bit too light.

Did we let that ruin or in any way spoil our Camino? Only for a day. We both got replacements and moved on down the Way. I continued to put my dried laundry on my bed and she continued to hang her items on the clothes lines. And we will do so again this year starting in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Probably each time we "donated" to pilgrims that had not brought enough or took pride in "packing extra light" and found out they were a bit too light.

I would be less than sympathetic towards anyone who tried to justify themselves that way. Who is to say that the owner can spare whatever was taken? I pack pretty lightly and I know I would miss anything I lost. You do raise an important point though: there seems to be an obsession with travelling extremely light which seems to tip some people towards ill-considered choices. No sleeping bag for an October Camino? Relying on one set of outerwear (trousers/fleece) and trusting to flimsy rain gear to ensure they will not get wet? I'm sure many of us have seen damp and shivering people who set off confident that all that "stuff" was unnecessary. We may even have loaned them enough for some modest comfort. If we gamble in balancing weight against safety and comfort then it is up to us to live with the consequences if we lose out.

SY - the items were taken from my bed - there was no mistake. It was full daylight.
Sabine - maybe my post was a little harsh - apologies.
Other people noticed suspicious behaviour - not us. Alerted, we then discovered our loss while they left with much hurry.
Our only reason for posting was to warn others to please be careful.
Yes - they may have needed our clothes but they each had an iPhone which they used a lot. Needy? maybe not.
The Albergue has their names and identity details which they did not disclose to us. In any case, did not want to involve police in such a petty theft and we told others in the dorm room during our discussions about our loss and while they were checking themselves to see if anything else was taken from them, to say and do nothing should they see these two again.
We just wanted to warn others to be careful.
I thought my carefully worded post was considerate and compassionate. Apologies to whomever it may have upset.
If it is causing angst, moderators please delete.
Thank you.
(edited for clearer English)

Walton no need for apologies I can understand a ‘small incident ‘like this on the Camino can have a disproportion effect on the stress levels - forget all about it – just put down to experience – enjoy the rest of the Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I read things like this I think of Victor Hugo's epic novel and the wonderful musicals that came from it. When Valjean is caught after stealing the silver items, the Bishop tells the police that he gave the items to Valjean and then gives him an additional two candlesticks acting as if he forgot to take them. In the novel the Bishop is able to tell Valjean that he should use the money from the silver to make an honest man of himself and that his life now belongs to God. I often wonder if I could do such a thing as that fictional Bishop.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walton you will now have spring in you step as you enter Pamplona and upgrade what you have lost. We are pilgrims in a world of pilgrims. I am currently a hospitalero in the public albergue in Salamanca on the Via De La Plata. During my stay my hairbrush and shampoo have gone on pilgrimage or was it pillage. I have a bowl of fruit and cookies out but not one person has ¨May I¨.
Humanity comes in all forms.
I didn´t get a plenary indulgence the times I have entered Santiago because I didn´t want to hold up the line for penance for days. ...Ultreya...
Willy/Utah/USA

Buen Camino
Walton
Sorry to read that you got robbed. The important thing is not to let it ruin your trip - especially if everything can be replaced easily for a couple of hundred. My wife had a bag stolen in Barcelona with several hundred dollars worth of stuff. It was a lesson well learned. At the time I was very angry, partly because we had made it so easy for the pukes. I'm glad you brought this incident up, since backpack security was in the back of my mind. I did a search for "theft proof backpack" and found this on the REI site: https://www.rei.com/product/709207/...w8Zx2YmP-W3Ps1Y_ne_6E7-yH564qfBjXIaAhHR8P8HAQ Thieves are lazy and opportunistic and a metal mesh barrier may be all it takes to keep them out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Indeed. A mesh cover might only serve to announce IMPORTANT STUFF INSIDE; TAKE ME!!
Discretion and no bling might be surer protection. However, never leave unwatched what you can't afford to lose. Like many other pilgrims I sleep with any valuables within my sleeping bag beneath my feet and NEVER tell anyone where and what they are!!
A few years ago in Trinidad de Arre an actor from LA who was bunked next to me asked anxiously "Where do you have your money?" As if on cue I rolled my eyes and answered "Why in the bank! And you?"

For further advice read these recent Forum threads with useful tips on camino security
and here.

I hadn't answered until then but yes... I also had things stolen. No, no way was it by mistake....
First time was inRoncesvalles, my towel went missing from the top of my washing basket (I 'm being brief but can go in details :rolleyes:) and also in Ponferrada where my silk liner went ...err walking, out of my sleeping bag!
I was really annoyed both times but managed to try and think
'they needed it more than I did ' sort-a-thing..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I too had an awful experience in Zubiri. I was sleeping in the top bunk facing the wall when I was awakened by a hand moving under my pillow! Very sleepily, I turned over and looked down. It was dark and I could just see a shadow rustling in a sleeping bag. I should have shouted out and switched on lights, I know, but being my first Camino and not wanting to make a fuss, I did nothing. Nothing was taken because I did my "homework" before I left home and heeded the advice of NOT SLEEPING WITH YOUR MONEY UNDER YOUR PILLOW. Or any other valuables for that matter! I was very disappointed that that happened and was quite angry for a while, but soon let it go. People are what they are and karma is a bitch! Am I allowed to use that word??;)

As upsetting as this is for you - most 'thefts' on the Camino are simply a case of 'mistaken identity' Most clothes that are 'stolen' in dim light are not stolen but sincerely confused for being ones own. As for

"people in that same room know who you are and they are close behind you"

I am just shaking my head.

Buen Camino, SY

Dear SYates, I alwais find your answers on the difensing of what ? In one occasion at SJPD at the municipal a pilgrim had his rain jacket taken by "mistake" the only difference was that the little box he had in the pocket was remouved stating that the person knew it wasn't his. The pilgrim had to walk to Roncesv.. under the rain. At Roncesv.. we find the couple that took it and confronted them, they where very sorrow.I think Walton was right to worn this ......., as we try alwaise to look after each other. Buen Camino pellegrinos.

Last edited:
Last May, a few days west of Burgos, I had washed, dried, and folded my tee shirt, underwear, and socks and laid them neatly on my bed. Off I headed to dinner. When I returned , all that remain on my bunk was my tee shirt. Mistaken identity or poor light? Naw, I don't think so.

Later, at Viatoris in Shagun my hiking partner washed her very expensive hiking pants, leggings, and tee shirt and hung them out to dry in the small court yard. Just before sundown she went back to get them and, you guessed it, all three items were gone, and nothing else was on the clothes rack. Mistaken identity, poor light...naw. Probably each time we "donated" to pilgrims that had not brought enough or took pride in "packing extra light" and found out they were a bit too light.

Did we let that ruin or in any way spoil our Camino? Only for a day. We both got replacements and moved on down the Way. I continued to put my dried laundry on my bed and she continued to hang her items on the clothes lines. And we will do so again this year starting in a couple of weeks.

Good for you!!!! Buz Radican, that is the spirit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear SYates, I alwais find your answer on the difensing of what ? In one occasion at SJPD at the municipal a pilgrim had his rain jacket taken by "mistake" the only difference was that the little box he had in the pocket was remouved stating that the person knew it wasn't his. The pilgrim had to walk to Roncesv.. under the rain. At Roncesv.. we find the couple that took it and confronted them, they where very sorrow.I think Walton was right to worn this ......., as we try alwaise to look after each other. Buen Camino pellegrino.

Please note, I wrote 'most', not 'always'. Buen Camino, SY

So, do valuables go in the shower too (in the toilet is acceptable, being dry)? Perhaps in waterproof ...umm bags?

Okay, Okay . I just read the other blog. Ziplock is it . Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, a dry sack, ziplock whatever waterproof bag I have available, valuables and things I don't want to lose (passport!) go inside it and with me into the shower. Buen Camino, SY

These sad facts are really isolated. Im still with 300km left and didnt have a problem. However i dont buy into the mistaken identity type of deal. Let's be serious, when it happens it is 85% intentional.
I totally agree Malabar - lets call this what it is - plain and simply THIEFT. As was posted earlier - why should the person who was "stolen from" be expected the bear this loss. Some of the "light-weight" clothing is BLOODY/VERY expensive (I know I have purchased it and even when "on sale" it was often more expensive than high quality jeans). On my last Camino - in the larger albergue - I took advantage of the sun whilst waiting for my clothes to dry. Looks like I will have to continue this practice.
(Please excuse the shouting). Buen Camino.

Buen Camino
Walton

I am having second thoughts about doing the Camino. This is not the way I am used to doing trips. Used to wilderness hikes where people don't steal anything. Not a very joyous thought to be worrying about your possessions every minute of the day and night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am having second thoughts about doing the Camino. This is not the way I am used to doing trips. Used to wilderness hikes where people don't steal anything. Not a very joyous thought to be worrying about your possessions every minute of the day and night.
I never worried about petty theft, but I did take precautions. But you're right, the Camino has little in common with a wilderness hike, and if that is your expectation you will probably be disappointed.

@Jerri
No, the camino is not wilderness walking. Sometimes things disappear. Sometimes things appear. I noticed that this thread is from 2016, so I should like to share with you something that happened to me on my walk in 2016. It was autumn and the other pilgrims in the hostel at Ages where I spent a night were not inclined to leap out of bed at dawn to avoid the midday heat or to guarantee a bed for the next night. So when I woke at 6 am everyone else was asleep. To protect their sleeping time, I lay in bed for another half hour. Not a peep out of anyone. So I sneaked quietly out of bed to the adjacent washroom where I dressed and packed my gear as quietly as possible. All was still silent as I left, so I did not realize until much too late to return that I did not have my spare set of socks with me. I had somehow missed them in the dark albergue. A day or so later, still with no spare socks, I shared this experience with a couple of German women who were also pilgrims. One of them insisted on giving me a pair of her socks. I tried to refuse, as she must need her own spare socks. No, she said, this was her last day on camino and she was returning home, so she could do without. I thanked her and these socks became part of my camino gear ever since. For me, this story is about the spirit of the camino. I know that the walkers need sleep and we all know that we need socks. We do our best to consider the needs of others. This is not so different from my experience of wilderness walking, except that there are few walkers where I walk in the Canadian mountains, so we are even more reliant on one another when having challenges. Yes, there are the takers. I hope for their sake that they will learn better, as they are depriving themselves of the benefits of the pilgrimage. But there are many more wonderful and generous people. Sharing and helping are common. If you feel called to this, don't deprive yourself because of a few bad apples in a very large and generous bunch. Buen camino.

Jerri - It is I who wrote the original thread.

You do not need to have second thoughts and you won't have to worry about your posessions for every minute of every day - believe me. Rather than be deterred by our small losses, we completed the Portugeuse Camino from Lisbon to SJDP in 2017 and we are looking to do either the Del Norte or VDP hopefully this year.

You can't watch all of your posessions all the time, so we have divided our stuff into three groups.

1. Stuff that is too valuable to take and risk loss. For example, Heirloom rings, jewellery, Leave this kind of stuff at home. Full stop.

2. Stuff that we don't want to lose. For example, Passports, Credencials, money, Iphones, hearing aid (for me), glasses. These we put into a waterproof bag (passports in a small plastic container) and we never leave these. They go with us to the shower cubicle, in our sleeping bag or bed, and on our body when walking.

3. Everything else - we are careful but seeing as we can't watch everything, we just have to trust others when our other gear is unattended. But we now put things away in our backpacks, out of sight and temptation when possible.

In every society, there are people that will take advantage of others - yes, even in your hometown and probably workplace. You don't stop living your life because these people exist. You spite them by living your life well. And I hope you will reconsider and walk the Camino. To allow these people to affect your life is giving power to them. Don't.

OK - a reveal for you. We ran into these two girls in a cafe, a day later. I saw them first across the cafe floor and I just looked at them, and then some more. They realised I was looking at them and couldn't / wouldn't meet my eyes. They fidgeted, becoming clearly uncomfortable and whispered urgently to each other and then left quite quickly. They now had the worry that I would catch up with them along the way because they knew that I knew what they did. Can you imagine - ooh la la!! - kama.

So, please, do not allow my thead as a reason to deny yourself one of your greatest challenges and joys! Walking the Camino is indeed a truely magical journey.

Cheers

Walton

Last edited:
There are no utopias where crime and cruelty does not exist. It even occurs on wilderness hikes. There have been murders on the AT in the US and no doubt every year with all the hikers it has these days, there are many thefts, assaults etc.
One big difference between the Camino and an actual hike like the AT is that on the AT you pretty much have all your stuff on you everyday, every hour. The Camino, which is actually a walk between towns through rural Spain, you may go for many hours with you pack unattended everyday while you are out for meals etc.
It is an easy fix. Do not leave your valuables like money, passport, cellphone unattended. You would not do that in a shelter on the AT, would you? I never have.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am happy to see the OP come back with a response to this very old thread. I'm sure lots of other petty thefts nave happened since then, but if one remains vigilant of their surrounding, no problemo!
I sleep with my valuable in the pockets of my shorts that I plan to walk in the next morning.

Thanks people

I also should include essential prescribed medications to the list of things to always keep with you in group number 2, especially if you cannot do without safely.

The next comment is probably another thread on its own;

One thing that some pilgrims may not be aware of is that some travel insurance policies do not cover personal contents when you share accommodation with others, such as in hostels, dorm rooms and alburgues to name a few. You really need to carefully read the fine print of an insurance proposal before buying.

You also need to always keep receipts of things you do buy just in case something is lost or stolen. Insurance companies will almost always require some proof of purchase and of value before they entertain whether or not to pay out a claim.

There is nothing to prevent you putting questions to an insurance company before you decide to buy their insurance. Just be sure to put your questions in writing to them and insist on a written reply. Emails are great for this purpose.

Cheers

Graham

OK - a reveal for you. We ran into these two girls in a cafe, a day later. I saw them first across the cafe floor and I just looked at them, and then some more. They realised I was looking at them and couldn't / wouldn't meet my eyes. They fidgeted, becoming clearly uncomfortable and whispered urgently to each other and then left quite quickly. They now had the worry that I would catch up with them along the way because they knew that I knew what they did. Can you imagine - ooh la la!! - kama.

Oh my ..... so you did catch up with them.... I dreamed that it would happen....

Hello Walton, you may meet those two again somewhere down the road, and that will be interesting for all involved. ;)

Buen Camino!

rolling-smiley.gif
rolling-smiley.gif
rolling-smiley.gif

Buen Camino
Walton
Thanks for the heads up. Very sad.

Find out where they're staying and pinch all their stuff. An eye for an eye, a pullover for a pullover.
Nah, that would be a bad choice, and he’d be acting just like the two thieves who stole from him. There are better responses to bad behavior.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is a very old thread now but the message is that you have to be careful with your belongings especially things that are easily stolen and transportable, like Iphones, wallets and so on.

If you are a victim of theft, and if its occurs at an accommodation establishment such as an alburgue or a hotel etc, the best thing would be to notify the establishment and ask them to call the Policia so you can make a report.

If you very strongly feel you can identify the culprits, make this known to the Policia. They can view accommodation registers, CCCTV video etc and are best in a position to find and question the suspected culprits.

I strongly discourage people taking matters into their own hands because you don't know anything about the suspects or the law. Keep your revenge to your vivid imagination, if it makes you feel better!! :)

If you have travel insurance, be sure to get a copy of the police report and be sure to inform your insurance company of your intention to claim as soon as possible. Whatever you do, follow your travel insurance providers instructions exactly so as to prevent administrative contractual grounds for them to deny a payout for your loss.

Also document what you do and when so you don't have to rely on your memory.

Cheers
Graham

Last edited:
Seems like I am seeing theft reports almost every day on the Camino Facebook groups ):

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah, I just chose this thread because it had a generic title rather than referring to a specific Albergue theft. I've seen at least 3-4 different posts about entire albergues worth of pilgrims being robbed over the last week or so in the Facebook groups

Yeah, I just chose this thread because it had a generic title rather than referring to a specific Albergue theft. I've seen at least 3-4 different posts about entire albergues worth of pilgrims being robbed over the last week or so in the Facebook groups
I've been seeing those reports too. Last night it was in Los Arcos.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.