• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

PhD fieldwork on the Camino Vasco & Camino Frances July-August 2016

Ramblanista

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances & Finisterre (2012); Ruta del Ebro (Tortosa to Sastago) (2014); Camino del Norte (Santander - Serdio) (2014); Camino Liebana & Camino Vadiniense (2014); Camino San Salvador (2015); Camino Olvidado (Sodupe - Reinosa) (2015); Camino del Norte (Irun - Deba & Serdio - Llanes) (2015)
Having toyed with the idea of hiking the Tunel route in reverse at the end of my field trip I'm now contemplating doing it the 'right' way round as a precursor to joining the Frances at Burgos. This is partly because I've been alarmed by some of the reports of girt, humungeous numbers of pilgrims setting out from St Jean - some of which I'm taking with the proverbial pinch of salt - but also because I think the research might benefit from having a less-well hiked camino to compare with the Frances experience, especially since I walked the Frances in 2012. I would have liked to carry out fieldwork on a less busy camino but I need numbers and I need to revisit previous landscapes.

I'm a student at Exeter University, England, engaged in research that brings together geography and theology as well as aspects of anthropology and ethnography and, of course, Pilgrim Studies. I'm looking at how pilgrims and hikers respond to the landscape in ways that might be considered religious, spiritual or emotional. I'm interested in how specific landscapes - such as the meseta or the climb to O Cebreiro - might certain responses but also how the accumulation of days spent on the trail might enhance their impact or produce different landscape 'experiences'. The project was inspired by a spiritual/religious landscape experience of my own on the Ruta Dragonte section of the Frances in 2012 though I should stress that it's not confined to those with religious/spiritual beliefs.

I shall be hiking the Camino as a pilgrim and a researcher and hoping to talk to people, informally, as I encounter them and/or walk alongside them. As I'm arguing that these experiences are produced, at least in part, by personal background and motivations for walking the camino I'd like a bit of autobiographical detail, within the usual ethical guidelines, of course.

It looks like I'll be setting off from Irun on Sunday 24 July, though the hike actually begins on the Le Puy route and gets to Irun via Roncevalles and the GR11. If anyone's on the trail at about that time and would like to be part of my research please do get in touch. I'm expecting most of my encounters to be spontaneous but my supervisors would be happy if I had something pre-arranged. Mine is a very informal methodology, particpant observation at its most particpatory.

More details here: http://ramblanista.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/you-are-land-land-is-you.html

Thanks

Sian

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be walking from Bordeaux - Irun - Vasco del Interior - Burgos - Frances to Finisterre from June 16/17th, so I will unfortunately miss you. But good luck with the research and Bon Chemin/Buen Camino!

Davey

On the trail now and was blessed to say hello to an old friend yesterday, one that is being made more beautiful Imsee her: the Santiago cathedral. Brought to tears for the same time when seein her. Yes, she is becoming an old friend.

Best of luck in your research; may you collect interesting data.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having toyed with the idea of hiking the Tunel route in reverse at the end of my field trip I'm now contemplating doing it the 'right' way round as a precursor to joining the Frances at Burgos. This is partly because I've been alarmed by some of the reports of girt, humungeous numbers of pilgrims setting out from St Jean - some of which I'm taking with the proverbial pinch of salt - but also because I think the research might benefit from having a less-well hiked camino to compare with the Frances experience, especially since I walked the Frances in 2012. I would have liked to carry out fieldwork on a less busy camino but I need numbers and I need to revisit previous landscapes.

I'm a student at Exeter University, England, engaged in research that brings together geography and theology as well as aspects of anthropology and ethnography and, of course, Pilgrim Studies. I'm looking at how pilgrims and hikers respond to the landscape in ways that might be considered religious, spiritual or emotional. I'm interested in how specific landscapes - such as the meseta or the climb to O Cebreiro - might certain responses but also how the accumulation of days spent on the trail might enhance their impact or produce different landscape 'experiences'. The project was inspired by a spiritual/religious landscape experience of my own on the Ruta Dragonte section of the Frances in 2012 though I should stress that it's not confined to those with religious/spiritual beliefs.

I shall be hiking the Camino as a pilgrim and a researcher and hoping to talk to people, informally, as I encounter them and/or walk alongside them. As I'm arguing that these experiences are produced, at least in part, by personal background and motivations for walking the camino I'd like a bit of autobiographical detail, within the usual ethical guidelines, of course.

It looks like I'll be setting off from Irun on Sunday 24 July, though the hike actually begins on the Le Puy route and gets to Irun via Roncevalles and the GR11. If anyone's on the trail at about that time and would like to be part of my research please do get in touch. I'm expecting most of my encounters to be spontaneous but my supervisors would be happy if I had something pre-arranged. Mine is a very informal methodology, particpant observation at its most particpatory.

More details here: http://ramblanista.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/you-are-land-land-is-you.html

Thanks

Sian
Hi Sian

I'm Mary from Ireland and I've walked the Frances including some of the Dragonte, the Primitivo, Lebaniego and Vadiniense. This July 20th I'm hoping to walk from Bayonne to SJPP (3 days) and then scoot over to Irun and walk the Vasco - so if all goes to plan that could possibly be the 24th - I'd have no problem talking to you for your research purposes so who knows we might meet. Good luck with your research and Buen Camino. - Oops never mind - I see your post was made in 2016 - If you have any useful info on the Vasco I would greatly appreciate it - thanks

Mary

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back