Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Portugués Digital Guide Image
I update my digital guides frequently, for FREE for all purchases up to one year!

Phew! Getting hot this week.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
It is hard to imagine. I have struggled out of Porto twice on 30+ days, but I have no idea what 45 would mean. Just 6 weeks ago I was there and you needed a fleece all day long.

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Everyone out there walking or riding, please do not over do it...no matter how young, or fit you may be. Start early, drink lots of water, cut down on products that may dehydrate you such as caffeine and alcohol, eat light meals..find air conditioning as much as you can and keep cool!

Csutak

Since 2006 almost every year, usually walking more than two routes
Over 40 °C it is really hot. It is unbearable for those who are not used to it. o_O
Two years ago it was 42 in Irun and I could only walk for one day then changed my plans and took the train to Leon and started walking the San Salvador.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
When we did the Via de la Plata in 2016 our first week was rain every day and we said we wouldn’t complain if we ever walked in raging heat. A week later it was 37 degrees for days on end - we kept our word but did have conversations about the pros and cons of each option.
Then family members joined us for two weeks and it was mid-twenties every day and they could hardly believe our stories. After they left there were more storms and sun in store!

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Bradypus

Staff member
Too many and too often!
I had some very hot unpleasant nights in early October last year on the Via de la Plata. So I just looked at some local weather sites to see what it is like along the way today. A local weather site in Merida was reporting a temperature of 37C at 10pm. Extraordinary. Not a route for the summer months!

Liz Drew

2016 Coastal Portuguese
2018 Via de la Plata
(2019) del Norte
I am 2 days from Santiago right now. The heat is just as advertised! We have cut our mileage and are leaving as early as possible. Yikes!
Being an Aussie and living in Queensland I am used to temperatures in the high 30s but once the gage climbs into the 40s I am seriously depleted of all energy!
Start as early as you can and be finished for the day before lunch!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads