• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone and iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyB

Time of past OR future Camino
april 2016
Unfortunately, not bringing a phone is not an option. Can anyone tell me what the most reasonable way is to call or send pictures back to the USA might be. I plan on bringing my iPhone and maybe even my iPad mini.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Would you not use the sharing facility that comes with iCloud? There is wifi all along the Camino.

Unfortunately, not bringing a phone is not an option. Can anyone tell me what the most reasonable way is to call or send pictures back to the USA might be. I plan on bringing my iPhone and maybe even my iPad mini.
Buen Camino!
Here's a couple of options but sure there are more out there:

Free option - the majority of time you can get wifi in Albergues, bars, etc so you can you us Skype on either device you are talking about. You can easily link your Apple photo sharing to a free Dropbox account so everytime you have wifi it will automatically upload your photos. Before you leave home you can share that Dropbox folder with anyone you want to see your photos. This also serves to keep your phone free from plugging up and keeps your photos safe from loss should anything happen to your device.

Paid option - if you need phone/internet service on demand at any time of the day you could just buy a cheap prepaid sim card and have it sent to your house before you leave for Spain. It will come activated so all you need to do is put it in your unlocked iPhone and you've got a Spanish phone number and 4g anywhere you go. Thanks to an earlier share from @Robo I used this website for my upcoming Camino: http://www.simcardspain.es/en/

We are leaving SJPDP on April 12th so maybe we'll cross paths!
Buen Camino
Jordon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If service through T-mobile, text and data are unlimited. It only costs to call. That's what T-mobile is telling me anyway.

Free option - the majority of time you can get wifi in Albergues, bars, etc so you can you us Skype on either device you are talking about. You can easily link your Apple photo sharing to a free Dropbox account so everytime you have wifi it will automatically upload your photos. Before you leave home you can share that Dropbox folder with anyone you want to see your photos. This also serves to keep your phone free from plugging up and keeps your photos safe from loss should anything happen to your device.

Paid option - if you need phone/internet service on demand at any time of the day you could just buy a cheap prepaid sim card and have it sent to your house before you leave for Spain. It will come activated so all you need to do is put it in your unlocked iPhone and you've got a Spanish phone number and 4g anywhere you go. Thanks to an earlier share from @Robo I used this website for my upcoming Camino: http://www.simcardspain.es/en/

Buen Camino
Jordon
Thanks for the info. Leaving the same day. Im sure we'll meet up somewhere.
buen camino

Paid option - if you need phone/internet service on demand at any time of the day you could just buy a cheap prepaid sim card and have it sent to your house before you leave for Spain.
so you just ordered the SIM card, had it delivered to your house and then had your iphone unlocked and put the new SIM in and had everything ready to go by the time you left? I like this idea...so then I wouldn't have to mess with buying one when I arrived. Is this correct?

I have read of people having trouble with a SIM card working correctly. I am hesitant in getting on and was just going to switch to an international plan on my phone but others have said that is it expensive. Not sure which route to go....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
so you just ordered the SIM card, had it delivered to your house and then had your iphone unlocked and put the new SIM in and had everything ready to go by the time you left? I like this idea...so then I wouldn't have to mess with buying one when I arrived. Is this correct?

I have read of people having trouble with a SIM card working correctly. I am hesitant in getting on and was just going to switch to an international plan on my phone but others have said that is it expensive. Not sure which route to go....

Correct! They carry all the large providers (Moviestar, Vodafone, Orange, etc) so you're not dealing with any oddballs and it's easy to recharge at any number of stores along the way or even online at the same website if you ever need to recharge. The sim cards come activated so nothing to do but plug it in and the nice thing is that you'll know your (emergency) contact number where people can get a hold of you before you leaving home. I can't speak to US travel plan rates but can say that if you have Skype you will be able to make calls at most Albergues, Bars, etc but if you need to contact anyone (or have anyone able to contact you) during the day then you would need to buy some kind of service.

My first time in Spain I made the mistake of buying a cheap sim card in the airport at a kiosk. It required calling various numbers to get calls out that in the end I threw it in the garbage in Pamplona and bought a Movistar sim at their retail outlet as I left the city in the morning. After that, no problems at all.

To clarify, I didn't have my iphone unlocked as this I already had done this previously. If your phone isn't unlocked this actually could cost you a significant amount, depending on your local providers fees. In Canada I paid almost $400 a couple of years ago to unlock mine because it was a phone included as part of my 2-year service plan. I needed to unlock it when I moved to a different country otherwise I wouldn't have bothered for that price.

First, I would make sure your iPhone is unlocked, what service is your iPhone on? I would suggest you wait until you get to Spain to buy a Spanish SIM card, if you mail order one and it doesn't work, you're out of luck, buy one from a phone store once you get to Spain and make sure it works before you leave the store.
The problem with most US iPhones are they are locked to the carrier, except for Verizon, they come unlocked out of the box. Here is a link on prepaid Spanish SIM cards, cheaper than any US service.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are several excellent ideas above. In my three prior Caminos I used the free Wi-Fi available all along the Camino in cafes and hostals and albergues, together with the Cloud, all with no problems.

This year, I have a new iPhone 6s with all the bells and whistles. I have been collecting apps that will help me this year when I start form Madrid on 7 April.

My US phone is on t-Mobile. As dduroy states above, overseas data is free (subject to your data limits) and texting ins unlimited. I suspect this is because t-Mobile is a German company and has a big footprint, together with roaming partners, across all of Europe.

Alternatively, you could attach photos to a text message. Or use the free t-Mobile data to establish a Wi-Fi connection and send photos using e-mail. If you a real techno-wiz, you could establish a VPN connection to your private web server and just upload all your photos. I use Google Photos (I used to use Picasa) to upload photos to my private account. There, only folks I sent the link to can see my photos. I did this when I discovered that all my photos were discoverable on Google searches. You have to watch terse things and keep your security screwed down tight.

BTW, I also learned recently that you can use your mobile / cell phone data with the latest versions of Face Time to make a voice-only call using data and not voice. This does not use your voice connection. I am traveling to Europe next week to visit friends and I will experiment further with the capabilities of my t-mobile data and text capabilities. We shall see...

I hope this helps.

thank you for this info!
providers charge to unlock the phone? wow...I wasn't aware of that. I will contact my provider and talk to them about what I need to do to get it unlocked ~ thanks for providing the link to order the SIM card ~ very helpful!
If you have a 4G phone you shouldn't have to unlock it, just change sim card at least that is how it done with Verison.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have Verizon...so you are saying my iphone is already unlocked? How do I check this? thank you...

You're all set, just buy a prepaid Spanish SIM card with data once you get to Spain. I tape my US SIM card and a SIM removal tool (paper clip) to the back of an ID card/drivers license and switch back once you're on the plane going home.
No need to check if your Verizon iPhone is unlocked, all Verizon iPhone 5 and newer are all unlocked, I've installed several Telcel Mexic0 SIM cards in many of my friends Verizon iPhones with no issues and easily switched back once they got home.

Last edited:
I carried an iPad mini AND a smartphone on my first Camino. The iPad turned out to be a liability - just another big, bulky, expensive item to protect and keep dry. A small waterproof smartphone now does everything I need.

Spanish SIM cards are ok for occasionally calling albergues, etc, and for emergency services.
However I've stopped buying them (they expire if not used) and rather use my UK SIM, because it now allows roaming data and phone calls TO THE UK up to the mobile contract limits. Data (from free Wifi or my own mobile contract) can enable Skype or WhatsApp calls, and I'm willing to pay the roaming charges for occasional mobile calls to Spanish numbers in an emergency.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have an iPhone 4, with Sprint as my provider. I can get an international plan through them that provides reasonable prices for texting home (which I expect to do the most), plus the ability to call the USA if needed. If I'm comfortable with the prices, and I don't expect to be using a phone to call ahead to albergues, any reason to get a Spanish sim card?

Since the iPhone can do what the iPad does, I wouldn't bother with the extra weight/device.

My phone was unlocked so I just got an Orange SIM card when I got to Spain. I used it for voice and relied on wifi for data.

Correct! They carry all the large providers (Moviestar, Vodafone, Orange, etc) so you're not dealing with any oddballs and it's easy to recharge at any number of stores along the way or even online at the same website if you ever need to recharge. The sim cards come activated so nothing to do but plug it in and the nice thing is that you'll know your (emergency) contact number where people can get a hold of you before you leaving home. I can't speak to US travel plan rates but can say that if you have Skype you will be able to make calls at most Albergues, Bars, etc but if you need to contact anyone (or have anyone able to contact you) during the day then you would need to buy some kind of service.

My first time in Spain I made the mistake of buying a cheap sim card in the airport at a kiosk. It required calling various numbers to get calls out that in the end I threw it in the garbage in Pamplona and bought a Movistar sim at their retail outlet as I left the city in the morning. After that, no problems at all.

To clarify, I didn't have my iphone unlocked as this I already had done this previously. If your phone isn't unlocked this actually could cost you a significant amount, depending on your local providers fees. In Canada I paid almost $400 a couple of years ago to unlock mine because it was a phone included as part of my 2-year service plan. I needed to unlock it when I moved to a different country otherwise I wouldn't have bothered for that price.
Hi there any suggestions as to which Spanish provider has the best coverage and speeds from Roncesvalles to Santiago
Alan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're all set, just buy a prepaid Spanish SIM card with data once you get to Spain. I tape my US SIM card and a SIM removal tool (paper clip) to the back of an ID card/drivers license and switch back once you're on the plane going home.
No need to check if your Verizon iPhone is unlocked, all Verizon iPhone 5 and newer are all unlocked, I've installed several Telcel Mexic0 SIM cards in many of my friends Verizon iPhones with no issues and easily switched back once they got home.
Does anyone know where I can get a video or clear picture of how to do this on a Samsung Galaxy Android phone?

Hi there any suggestions as to which Spanish provider has the best coverage and speeds from Roncesvalles to Santiago
Alan
Hi Alan - I can't vouch for 'best' but can say from Pamplona to SDC I used Movistar and didn't have a single issue of no coverage. That said, I did pick Vodafone for my April Camino because they have a very attractive 4G plan with 60 mins int'l talk time plus 1.5gb data for 32 euros (activated sim card included and sent to Canada).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have an iPhone 4, with Sprint as my provider. I can get an international plan through them that provides reasonable prices for texting home (which I expect to do the most), plus the ability to call the USA if needed. If I'm comfortable with the prices, and I don't expect to be using a phone to call ahead to albergues, any reason to get a Spanish sim card?

I'm in exactly the same situation. So I have the same question!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

The iPhone 4 on Sprint's network is not a GSM/World phone, therefore does not have international capabilities. For that reason, it does not need a SIM card and does not have a SIM card slot.
It won't work internationally since it has no GSM capability, only CDMA on the Sprint network while in the US.

Sounds good, Fred! When are you going?
Dee: I plan to leave SJPP on April 25. Looks like from Bajaracer's post I need to check with Sprint again. They clearly told me the phone will work in Spain (and France and Portugal as well), as long as I get their "proper" plan. This may mean it will work to/from the USA but not within Spain, et. al.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino!
I bought a SIM card for my iPhone which can be purchased reasonably at most Orange stores. IPad -just find Internet. Most albergues have service.
Buen camino
Orford girl

Dee: I plan to leave SJPP on April 25. Looks like from Bajaracer's post I need to check with Sprint again. They clearly told me the phone will work in Spain (and France and Portugal as well), as long as I get their "proper" plan. This may mean it will work to/from the USA but not within Spain, et. al.

Both the Sprint and Verizon models of the iPhone 4 WILL NOT work outside of the US and Canada, find a Sprint iPhone 4S on the used market for less than $50, that one has GSM capability and is truly a global phone. It can also be unlocked for international use with a prepaid SIM if you choose.

Hi Alan - I can't vouch for 'best' but can say from Pamplona to SDC I used Movistar and didn't have a single issue of no coverage. That said, I did pick Vodafone for my April Camino because they have a very attractive 4G plan with 60 mins int'l talk time plus 1.5gb data for 32 euros (activated sim card included and sent to Canada).
That sounds like a good deal Jozero ,does that include any local minutes ?. Also in your experience does changing your sim affect you apps as in WhatsApp Twitter Facebook etc etc do you have to rejoin because you have a new phone number or do they recognise the devise / phone rather than the phone number ? And last question How long did it take for delivery of the sim from the time you ordered it ? As I am starting early next month 12th April .I would be grateful For any information on the above Alan

That sounds like a good deal Jozero ,does that include any local minutes ?. Also in your experience does changing your sim affect you apps as in WhatsApp Twitter Facebook etc etc do you have to rejoin because you have a new phone number or do they recognise the devise / phone rather than the phone number ? And last question How long did it take for delivery of the sim from the time you ordered it ? As I am starting early next month 12th April .I would be grateful For any information on the above Alan
I ordered the sim card on Feb 25th and it's not yet arrived in Canada. I'll post you a message when it arrives but I'm thinking that if you're in Ireland chances are it will come much quicker to you than to the west coast of Canada?

As for apps, the only one that may create a challenge is Whatsapp because it is phone number driven. I have several friends who have 2 or more phone numbers associated with their account though so that would seem to mean that you should be ok when you add a new Spanish number. The only challenge may be having others contact you but perhaps that is a welcome idea while you enjoy the peace of the Camino! The rest of the apps will be fine as they are all online apps and make no difference where you or your data is coming from.

The prepaid plan I chose includes the 60 mins and they can be local or international but if your minutes run low a fine option is to use Skype as it will go through your data of which there is 1.5gb included or use the many wifi points across the country.

I ordered the sim card on Feb 25th and it's not yet arrived in Canada. I'll post you a message when it arrives but I'm thinking that if you're in Ireland chances are it will come much quicker to you than to the west coast of Canada?

As for apps, the only one that may create a challenge is Whatsapp because it is phone number driven. I have several friends who have 2 or more phone numbers associated with their account though so that would seem to mean that you should be ok when you add a new Spanish number. The only challenge may be having others contact you but perhaps that is a welcome idea while you enjoy the peace of the Camino! The rest of the apps will be fine as they are all online apps and make no difference where you or your data is coming from.

The prepaid plan I chose includes the 60 mins and they can be local or international but if your minutes run low a fine option is to use Skype as it will go through your data of which there is 1.5gb included or use the many wifi points across the country.
Thank you for all that information I was thinking I will have my original sim with me so I can switch them around if / when the need arises .I don't use Skype as I have face time and that works fine on wi fi . And yes believe me I look forward to the peace and quite and not be contactable unless I want to be thank you again for all your advice

€60,-
Both the Sprint and Verizon models of the iPhone 4 WILL NOT work outside of the US and Canada, find a Sprint iPhone 4S on the used market for less than $50, that one has GSM capability and is truly a global phone. It can also be unlocked for international use with a prepaid SIM if you choose.
Bajaracer:

What about this as an option? Mobal offers a smart phone plus sim card with unlimited texts to/from the USA: https://www.mobal.com/global-unlimi...ne&utm_content=Phones>>Country>>Europe>>Spain. Phone plus one month of access for $129; additional access months $50 each.

Bajaracer:

What about this as an option? Mobal offers a smart phone plus sim card with unlimited texts to/from the USA: https://www.mobal.com/global-unlimited-sim/?source=2114&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SL>>US>>Search>>Phones&utm_term=+spain +global +phone&utm_content=Phones>>Country>>Europe>>Spain. Phone plus one month of access for $129; additional access months $50 each.
That seems pretty expensive Orange has a package that is ~€40 that includes 100 minutes (?) of calls to the US (incoming calls are free) and is refillable. We spent less than $100 in two months with relatively frequent calls to the US.

That seems pretty expensive Orange has a package that is ~€40 that includes 100 minutes (?) of calls to the US (incoming calls are free) and is refillable. We spent less than $100 in two months with relatively frequent calls to the US.
Does the Orange deal include a phone? My iPhone 4 will apparently not work with a Spanish sim card.

OK, forgive my lack of precision. I have an iPhone 4s. The Apple site shows it as a "world phone." Should this now work with an international plan? Thanks.

Thank you for that link Bajaracer looks like Moviestar best for coverage and Vodafone best for 4G Alan
The important is 3G coverage, forget 4G. In Spain there are 4G only in cities and the way are almost all villages.

OK, forgive my lack of precision. I have an iPhone 4s. The Apple site shows it as a "world phone." Should this now work with an international plan? Thanks.

Yes it is a true world phone, you could also have Sprint unlock it before you go if you want the option of using a prepaid Spanish SIM card.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bajaracer:

What about this as an option? Mobal offers a smart phone plus sim card with unlimited texts to/from the USA: https://www.mobal.com/global-unlimited-sim/?source=2114&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SL>>US>>Search>>Phones&utm_term=+spain +global +phone&utm_content=Phones>>Country>>Europe>>Spain. Phone plus one month of access for $129; additional access months $50 each.

Total ripoff, for the price of a bad pilgrim meal, you could buy a prepaid Spanish SIM card with data and international calling for less than €25, Lebara has all in one packages, like their all in one 15 which includes 1gb of data and 300 calling minutes back to the US for €15.
http://www.lebara.es/todo-en-uno

Yes it is a true world phone, you could also have Sprint unlock it before you go if you want the option of using a prepaid Spanish SIM card.
I just went online and had sprint unlock my i4s phone. I didn't even think my phone had a sim card. It does, and I now know how to remove it. I will buy a sim card in Spain. Thanks to all the posts on this Forum!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just went online and had sprint unlock my i4s phone. I didn't even think my phone had a sim card. It does, and I now know how to remove it. I will buy a sim card in Spain. Thanks to all the posts on this Forum!

Make sure you follow the unlock instructions to the letter to properly unlock you iPhone otherwise it will still be locked.

Make sure you follow the unlock instructions to the letter to properly unlock you iPhone otherwise it will still be locked.
I don't want to do that until the day I am leaving for Spain, right? Otherwise my phone wont work here? I don't leave until May 10th. Or do I have to unlock it completely here and just put a Spanish sim card in when I get to Spain? I'm a nit wit when it comes to electronics, but ask me a medical question and I have about a half a wit:D

I don't want to do that until the day I am leaving for Spain, right? Otherwise my phone wont work here? I don't leave until May 10th. Or do I have to unlock it completely here and just put a Spanish sim card in when I get to Spain? I'm a nit wit when it comes to electronics, but ask me a medical question and I have about a half a wit:D

Do the unlocking procedure now, don't wait until the last minute and find out it won't work right before you leave, unlocking won't disable you device, it just removes the "carrier lock" that prevents you from using a SIM from outside the US.

Do the unlocking procedure now, don't wait until the last minute and find out it won't work right before you leave, unlocking won't disable you device, it just removes the "carrier lock" that prevents you from using a SIM from outside the US.
Thank you! I'm doing it right now. I so appreciate your help. I just want to have my phone for emergencies and sending occasional text and photos. I already told my family that I will have my phone off most of the time. I need to this time for peace and quiet reflection.

I don't know why this is so confusing to me. I have a Droid Turbo (from Verizon). Verizon tells me this phone is not locked. I need to confirm that somehow (I don't want to get to Spain and be asked for a password).
So online I bought an Orange Mundo tarjeta SIM de prepago, (Calidad de Red Orange) about a month ago and set it aside (I'm leaving for Spain on May 2). Just happened to check with Verizon and they told me I need a micro SIM card; that the one I bought won't fit my phone. I can't remember where I ordered the card or how much I even paid for it. I looked online and it wasn't real obvious to me how to get the specific card I need. I'd like to sell the one I have, if anyone might have a phone that it fits.
What should I do?

I don't know why this is so confusing to me. I have a Droid Turbo (from Verizon). Verizon tells me this phone is not locked. I need to confirm that somehow (I don't want to get to Spain and be asked for a password).
So online I bought an Orange Mundo tarjeta SIM de prepago, (Calidad de Red Orange) about a month ago and set it aside (I'm leaving for Spain on May 2). Just happened to check with Verizon and they told me I need a micro SIM card; that the one I bought won't fit my phone. I can't remember where I ordered the card or how much I even paid for it. I looked online and it wasn't real obvious to me how to get the specific card I need. I'd like to sell the one I have, if anyone might have a phone that it fits.
What should I do?

Verizon 4G/LTE devices are unlocked and do not require an unlock code.
http://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/product/device-unlocking-policy

Is the SIM card a Mini SIM card? If it is, find a local independent phone store and see if they have a SIM card cutter to cut your SIM card to the right size, if it is a Nano SIM, then you'll just need a SIM card adapter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Verizon 4G/LTE devices are unlocked and do not require an unlock code.
http://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/product/device-unlocking-policy

Is the SIM card a Mini SIM card? If it is, find a local independent phone store and see if they have a SIM card cutter to cut your SIM card to the right size, if it is a Nano SIM, then you'll just need a SIM card adapter.

Thanks for the confirmation about the unlocked thing, Bajaracer. I have a regular size SIM card and need a Micro SIM card (which I guess is between regular and Nano?). The guy at Verizon told me I couldn't cut it down, but I ordered a SIM card cutter, and I bet I can. If they are the same, other than the size of the platform, I wonder why they make them different sizes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation about the unlocked thing, Bajaracer. I have a regular size SIM card and need a Micro SIM card (which I guess is between regular and Nano?). The guy at Verizon told me I couldn't cut it down, but I ordered a SIM card cutter, and I bet I can. If they are the same, other than the size of the platform, I wonder why they make them different sizes.

Yes you can cut a regular SIM card down to Micro or Nano, find a local independent phone shop to cut it for you for free. Usually the phone repair places have them.
The Mini SIM card has been around since the early 90's, then Apple started using the Micro SIM on the iPhone 4, then the Nano SIM on the iPhone 5, and then the rest of the smartphones started using them as well.

Buen Camino
Jordon
I have an iPhone and MacBook Air I was thinking of taking. The MacBook Air allows me to upload my photos and videos via SD or micro SD card. I can then review them or share them via the cloud or Internet on a blog or e- mail. The biggest advantage is being able to see them and having them backed up. The weight and size of the MacBook Air does not seem to be an issue now- any thoughts. I love photography and video and the system has worked in Poland and South Africa but I did not carry my life on my back for 1 month- comments ?

I have an iPhone and MacBook Air I was thinking of taking. The MacBook Air allows me to upload my photos and videos via SD or micro SD card. I can then review them or share them via the cloud or Internet on a blog or e- mail. The biggest advantage is being able to see them and having them backed up. The weight and size of the MacBook Air does not seem to be an issue now- any thoughts. I love photography and video and the system has worked in Poland and South Africa but I did not carry my life on my back for 1 month- comments ?

I would suggest a card reader. A small device that you use to upload photos to your phone and leave the Macbook Air at home.

Buen Camino!

We take our mini and have for several camino. We use wifi when available...we have facetimed with an adult child one time when he needed some help. We also take a card reader to upload photos to the cloud. We take lots of photos, and we use it to blog, our personal blog.

€60,-
Hi @Michael Garver - I'm positive from a technical POV you system would be brilliant as you could also do full editing as well. The challenge you would face is that same as anyone who brings expensive flashy gear... You will have to carry that gear with you 24/7 (and yes, I mean the shower too!), if you are staying in Albergues. If you're planning to use Casa Rurals, Pensions, Hostals, etc then you would have relative peace of mind that it won't grow legs and walk away.

I got by nicely with just my iPad. I had an adapter that allowed me to upload my photos from an SD card to my iPad. From there I could upload to iCloud or edit in Lightroom Mobile and then either send a virtual slideshow link as wanted. I had a lightweight bluetooth keyboard/cover for my iPad that made blogging very easy and quick. I know an Macbook Air is light but by week 2 of your Camino you'll probably be like the rest of us and sifting through your bag to see what weight you can jetison!

Good luck with the decision process and either way you go, Buen Camino!
Jordon

Hi @Michael Garver - I'm positive from a technical POV you system would be brilliant as you could also do full editing as well. The challenge you would face is that same as anyone who brings expensive flashy gear... You will have to carry that gear with you 24/7 (and yes, I mean the shower too!), if you are staying in Albergues. If you're planning to use Casa Rurals, Pensions, Hostals, etc then you would have relative peace of mind that it won't grow legs and walk away.

I got by nicely with just my iPad. I had an adapter that allowed me to upload my photos from an SD card to my iPad. From there I could upload to iCloud or edit in Lightroom Mobile and then either send a virtual slideshow link as wanted. I had a lightweight bluetooth keyboard/cover for my iPad that made blogging very easy and quick. I know an Macbook Air is light but by week 2 of your Camino you'll probably be like the rest of us and sifting through your bag to see what weight you can jetison!

Good luck with the decision process and either way you go, Buen Camino!
Jordon
Thanks Jordon. I was just looking at the iPad Air 2. It weighs less than a pound and has wi- fi + cellular. With the system you used, you could upload pictures, video and access the Internet via wi-fi. It also has the fastest processor and plenty of memory. Battery life is 10 hours. I probably would only use my iPhone for emergencies .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Jordon. I was just looking at the iPad Air 2. It weighs less than a pound and has wi- fi + cellular. With the system you used, you could upload pictures, video and access the Internet via wi-fi. It also has the fastest processor and plenty of memory. I probably would only use my iPhone for emergencies .
If you're shooting with a camera that takes RAW photos I would highly recommend Adobe Lightroom Mobile. By far the best editing software I've found for an iPad and it will all sync to Lightroom CC on your Macbook Air for later work too. Just as an FYI, the iPad Pro actually has a faster processor that the Air 2. A light more price tag but if it's storage space and speed you want, that one has a bit more under the hood :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.