• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone around the neck

NanaEL

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances in 2019, Portuguese 2023?
Maybe silly question to some: I am carrying my iPhone as camera, and to have the Pilgrim App handy whenever possible, etc
Does anybody have a recommendation for a carrier around the neck? I hate to be pulling things out of pockets, packs ...
Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you looking for this?: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/watertight-phone-pouch-id_8480983.html

For me it has never been an option. I don't like weight moving all day on my neck, or in a trouser pocket.
I'd suggest a seperate bumbag. Cheap onces are sold in Decathlon. You can also have the powerbank, some money and a snack inside and if you get a bigger size a small water bottle will also fit. The benefit: it stays with you even if you put your pack off.
Another option are bags attached to your belt or to some straps of your backpack. I had neopren pocket for a Nokia years ago (much less weight and size than current phones). It worked, but I left the phone sometimes with the backpack.
If you can reach any pocket on your backpack and open/close it without getting the pack off, it's something you could try. Newer backpacks tend to have more pockets than the ones sold 10 years ago. Time for a change?

I recently bought a new iPhone case that has a lanyard attached to it. While intended for a wrist hold while using one's smartphone, it would be very easy to attach it to a neck lanyard that had a clip attachment. See: www.lander.com

They have similar cases for many different phone models.

Neck lanyards are ubiquitous and available all over.

I have used this arrangement to secure a pocket digital camera on my first few Caminos. This camera was heavier than an iPhone, but it worked very well. In cold or rainy / snowy weather, I just slid the camera / phone inside my fleece garment or parka.

As my Brit friends will say... '...works a treat...!"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’ve used this when out walking. Also find it useful when travelling and want to use phone for music or reading. I found it especially useful at airport when boarding pass was on phone app so I didn’t have to keep taking phone in and out of bag. Now if only I’d had my brand new hoody on a lanyard I wouldn’t have lost it between security and boarding the plane.

Are you looking for this?: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/watertight-phone-pouch-id_8480983.html

For me it has never been an option. I don't like weight moving all day on my neck, or in a trouser pocket.
I'd suggest a seperate bumbag. Cheap onces are sold in Decathlon. You can also have the powerbank, some money and a snack inside and if you get a bigger size a small water bottle will also fit. The benefit: it stays with you even if you put your pack off.
Another option are bags attached to your belt or to some straps of your backpack. I had neopren pocket for a Nokia years ago (much less weight and size than current phones). It worked, but I left the phone sometimes with the backpack.
If you can reach any pocket on your backpack and open/close it without getting the pack off, it's something you could try. Newer backpacks tend to have more pockets than the ones sold 10 years ago. Time for a change?
Thank you! I am not sure about weight around my neck either but went hiking yesterday and reaching into my bag for things was not to my liking and my small side pockets were too small!

I’ve used this when out walking. Also find it useful when travelling and want to use phone for music or reading. I found it especially useful at airport when boarding pass was on phone app so I didn’t have to keep taking phone in and out of bag. Now if only I’d had my brand new hoody on a lanyard I wouldn’t have lost it between security and boarding the plane.

I think I like this one because of the wider band - hopefully they will deliver to US

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I recently bought a new iPhone case that has a lanyard attached to it. While intended for a wrist hold while using one's smartphone, it would be very easy to attach it to a neck lanyard that had a clip attachment. See: www.lander.com

They have similar cases for many different phone models.

Neck lanyards are ubiquitous and available all over.

I have used this arrangement to secure a pocket digital camera on my first few Caminos. This camera was heavier than an iPhone, but it worked very well. In cold or rainy / snowy weather, I just slid the camera / phone inside my fleece garment or parka.

As my Brit friends will say... '...works a treat...!"
I like this one also - I can attach it maybe to a loop on the front of my pack ...!!! The little things sometimes seem like the big deals for us newbies. Thank you

Maybe silly question to some: I am carrying my iPhone as camera, and to have the Pilgrim App handy whenever possible, etc
Does anybody have a recommendation for a carrier around the neck? I hate to be pulling things out of pockets, packs ...
Thank you

I had a lightweight waterproof phone 'case' that had a clip and a long cord. I clipped it to the waistband of my backpack and it just hung there, within easy grasp but not in my way. It also had a cord (not shown in the photo below) that I looped through my pack as well so I didn't lose it accidentally if I took my pack off.

I had this one for $8CAD

But they don't seem to carry it anymore. Now they have this one.

Thank you
Always have my phone on a lanyard around my neck. In the cool of the early morning it is in the breast pocket of my fleece then transferred to my shirt pocket later. Always nice to know it can never fall and hit a rock or land in water. One my first camino, my phone had a small hole in the corner for a lanyard to be connected. On my newer phone, I bought a slim fitting silicon cover then attached the lanyard thread through the hole for the charger connection. I have seen lanyards with a strong heavy duty rubber band on the end that goes around the phone. I am told they are very secure

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had a lightweight waterproof phone 'case' that had a clip and a long cord. I clipped it to the waistband of my backpack and it just hung there, within easy grasp but not in my way. It also had a cord (not shown in the photo below) that I looped through my pack as well so I didn't lose it accidentally if I took my pack off.

I had this one for $8CAD

But they don't seem to carry it anymore. Now they have this one.

Thank you! And they have other items of interest.

Great to read a thread with answers that by and large answered the question the OP asked! Often on here, and elsewhere, someone will ask a question such as... what’s the best app to take on the Camino? And the majority of answers will be... Why do you need an app?... Leave your mobile phone at home... Jesus didn’t need an app... etc., etc.

Some top, useful suggestions here!

Last edited:
Great to read a thread with answers that by and large answered the question the OP asked! Often on here, and elsewhere, someone will ask a question such as... what’s the best app to take on the Camino? And they majority of answers will be... Why do you need an app?... Leave your mobile phone at home... Jesus didn’t need an app... etc., etc.

Some top, useful suggestions here!
I agree! I am often reluctant to ask anything ... hate the judgemental "responses."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree! I am often reluctant to ask anything ... hate the judgemental "responses."

Then if you get frustrated send me a PM. I try my best to not judge. All I do is to try to provide serious suggestions and recommendations, or clever ideas.

Also, I do NOT know everything. I will tell you when I do not know something. I will refer you somewhere better.

But I always reply. This is what I do, especially when I am not in Spain myself. I am all packed to leave tomorrow for three weeks. I will be at the Pilgrim Office, as a volunteer, 6 - 20 May.

Also, I ALWAYS encourage everyone to make use of the excellent search function in the forum database. The search window is in the upper right hand part of the screen. Use KEYWORDS to produce the best results. Avoid descriptive words in the search string.

For example if looking for the best sleeping bag... Use 'sleeping bag" NOT 'best sleeping bag.' The first string produces more results, and will likely include what you are looking for. The second string will exclude those posts that do not contain the phrase "best sleeping bag."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Then if you get frustrated send me a PM. I do not judge. All I do is to try to provide serious suggestions and recommendations, or clever ideas.

Also, I do NOT know everything. I will tell you when I do not know something. I will refer you somewhere better.

But I always reply. This is what I do, especially when I am not in Spain myself. I am all packed to leave tomorrow for three weeks. I will be at the Pilgrim Office, as a volunteer, 6 - 20 May.

Also, I ALWAYS encourage everyone to make use of the excellent search function in the forum database. The search window is in the upper right hand part of the screen. Use KEYWORDS to produce the best results. Avoid descriptive words in the search string.

For example if looking for the best sleeping bag... Use 'sleeping bag" NOT 'best sleeping bag.' The first string produces more results, and will likely include what you are looking for. The second string will exclude those posts that do not contain the phrase "best sleeping bag."

Hope this helps.
Have a safe trip, and I have no doubt you will enliven the space in the office while you are doing your service there Thanks for all your contributions. What is this life if full of care we have no time to write and share... sorry dear poet for stealing your thunder

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have used both waist and chest pouches that attach to my shoulder straps. The waist pouches interfere with my 'belly.'

The shoulder pouches never seem to ride in a good position. They also interfere with my water bottle hanging system. I use stainless steel / inox clips on two bottles to hang them from the chest harness.

In my experience, using a lanyard provides added security for my smartphone or digital pocket camera, while keeping wither device very handy and quick to bring into action when needed.

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've tried both a silicone phone holder around my neck and a lightweight Decathalon bumbag. The phone lanyard is nice because it keeps the phone handy for photos, but I've had to tuck it in my backpack strap so it doesn't flop around while walking. But then I thought I might want a bumbag to keep a few things handy if I don't want to take my backpack off - lip balm, tissues, maybe even passport. I may just keep my phone in there - it's handy and I don't think there's going to be many times I need to quickly take a photo of something fleeting. The Decathlon bag is very light and folds up into nothing and it cost about £2.

I bought something similar to this, but not as sturdy. It snapped in no time. I'll give this a try.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Always have my phone on a lanyard around my neck. In the cool of the early morning it is in the breast pocket of my fleece then transferred to my shirt pocket later. Always nice to know it can never fall and hit a rock or land in water. One my first camino, my phone had a small hole in the corner for a lanyard to be connected. On my newer phone, I bought a slim fitting silicon cover then attached the lanyard thread through the hole for the charger connection. I have seen lanyards with a strong heavy duty rubber band on the end that goes around the phone. I am told they are very secure
Great idea!! When you put it through the charging hole it didn't rip?

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.