• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone camera dead

Larry OHeron

Time of past OR future Camino
Via De La Plata
looking for suggestions.
My phone camera died. Everything else about the phone is just fine. I have a tablet with a working camera. So I can still get some pictures. But carrying the tablet available while I'm carrying my backpack is cumbersome at least.
Does anyone have ideas on what I can do for pictures? Google phone support is useless. They won't ship me a phone overseas. Thoughts?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
looking for suggestions.
My phone camera died. Everything else about the phone is just fine. I have a tablet with a working camera. So I can still get some pictures. But carrying the tablet available while I'm carrying my backpack is cumbersome at least.
Does anyone have ideas on what I can do for pictures? Google phone support is useless. They won't ship me a phone overseas. Thoughts?
Buy an inexpensive camera in the next big town.

You are better off getting an inexpensive smartphone and than an inexpensive camera. You will be surprised what you can get for around a 100-150 euros, a camera probably cost more.
Plus you can use when you are home. If you are from the US then hopefully it's AT&T.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When you say it "died," what does that look like? Does it just not open up when you press the app or is it all wonky when you are looking at the screen in camera mode? One thought that occurs to me is to download a third-party camera app, like Camera+, and see if the camera works with that application. Other than that, I second trecile's recommendation to buy a cheap point-and-shoot camera in the next large town. If you were hoping to share photos while walking, you'll have to figure out how to get the photos from the camera to your phone or tablet. I'm assuming they sell an SD card reader for Android devices. I use Apple's SD card reader to get photos from my DSLR into my iOS devices.

As someone else said, you might also consider a cheap smartphone. You wouldn't even need to activate cellular coverage for that phone, you could just use it for the camera. I'm assuming Android offers some way to move files between devices using Bluetooth such as is available with Airdrop with Apple devices.

Maybe you’re out of film... (just a joke)

As with many things computer related, it’s often worthwhile turning the power off, waiting a 15 seconds or so, and then powering back up again. It doesn’t solve everything, but often it can do the trick.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sometimes a factory default reset works too. But do a back up first as this will get rid of everything that is not standard on your phone...

I vote for getting a cheap smartphone that runs the same OS. It sounds like you have an Android phone. Simply swap your SIM card.

Sometimes a factory default reset works too. But do a back up first as this will get rid of everything that is not standard on your phone...
Thanks for that reminder. I am so technically illiterate that every time my phone does something I don’t know how to fix I march down to the Apple store crying my phone is broke. They look st me and ask if I powered it off and turned it back on. I then remember they have told me that at least 20 times and I smile and nod and turn my phone off and on and like a miracle it usually works. You just can’t teach an old dog new tricks, or make them remember anything.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hope this doesn't sound too stupid but without much of a description of what is (or isn't) happening I'm going to stick my neck out. Maybe the camera is taking the pictures but not displaying that it did. Have you checked your gallery?

Can someone please explain what OP means??? I've seen it a bit and can't for the life of me think what it could stand for....:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If the Original Poster can see this, may I recommend a Samsung Galaxy J 3 ? Excellent pictures and video ; 2017 model will suffice. Check that phone is "unlocked" or perhaps buy from your network's own store (Vodaphone, EE etc).

PS : usual disclaimer of any commercial interests.

PPS : I meant to say that this phone is not unduly expensive (£160-00) in UK and that J 5 is also very good but may not be easy to find as it is older.

If the Original Poster can see this, may I recommend a Samsung Galaxy J 3 ? Excellent pictures and video ; 2017 model will suffice. Check that phone is "unlocked" or perhaps buy from your network's own store (Vodaphone, EE etc).

PS : usual disclaimer of any commercial interests.
Thanks...makes sense. lol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.