• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone charging and theft; walking in the dark; liner or bag?

Ohiowalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (summer 2015, hopefully!)
My first Camino is fast approaching. I'm reading a book written by someone who walked the Camino that's raised a couple of more questions. First, the author suggests that you've got to stay with your phone in an albergue while it's charging or it may be stolen. (I'm aware there are pros and cons of taking a phone; I don't intend to use mine much, but do plan to take it.) Do others agree?

Second, the author apparently often started walking in the mornings before dark, and relied on a headlamp to find his way. I've seen a couple of posts from people who said they took a headlamp and never used it. My current plan is not to start walking before daylight, but I've never done the walk before and wonder if I might change my mind and wish I had a headlamp. (My dates are May 10 - June 27 (SJPP - Muxia), so I don't think it'll be super hot so much that I'll want to start before the sun rises to avoid afternoon heat.)

And a final question not raised by the book. I've tentatively decided to take only a sleeping bag liner, not a sleeping bag. Is it likely that with my dates, I'll be okay, or more likely I'll need a sleeping bag?

Thanks all. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I stay with my phone when it is charging. I took only a liner in Sept-Oct and that is what I would do in May-June. I did not take a head lamp in Sept-October but would if I went again in October. I wouldn't in May-June.

1. Yes, unless you have a private room (with a lock), it's not a good idea to leave your phone unattended
2. I think that a headlight is very useful. In hot weather, an early morning start is a good way of avoiding walking in the hottest part of the day. I was glad that I brought mine last year.
3. For a summer Camino, a liner is probably enough for most people. However, that probably depends on your own preferences and how warm/cold you typically feel at night-time.

Buen Camino!
Nuala

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
#1: With maybe one or two exceptions, I managed on the entire camino to find a plug near my table or bunk. Actually, never heard about stolen phones and wonder what the camino community says on this subject.
#2: Get a flashlight app for your phone, weighs nothing.
#3: Unless you easily shiver, a liner will do at this time of the year. (I spent a little bit more on one made of Merino, which kept me very cozy.)

Buen Camino

I think some sort of light is useful. If you have one in a phone you are taking, and you are not planning to walk in the dark, that would likely be sufficient.

I had no phone on both my May treks, so I took a diminutive headlamp which, in its case, weighed 45 grams. I did not walk in the dark, but the headlamp was very useful for nocturnal visits to the washroom. I stayed in one delightful Albergue that had no electricity and the bathroom/shower facility was in a separate building on the grounds, so the headlamp was very useful on that occasion.

Also in the morning if the Albergue was poorly lit I used the headlamp, on red, to scan around and under my bunk to ensure that I had not missed anything. It's so easy for a sock, or a hat, or your guidebook to have slipped off. So do a quick check.

Last edited:
I don't think stolen phones are a problem but it does happen. More often than not someone will unplug your phone while it is charging and plug theirs in, so that is a good reason to stick around watching your phone get fully charged. Snore!
I hate headlamps, especially when people are using them while rustling their plastic bags at 4am. My basic question is why do you want to walk in the dark?
A sleeping bag liner should be sufficient for your dates because blankets are normally available but there are certain places early on after leaving SJPdP that can be quite cold late in May.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Once i got to know the people who were around me but not necessarily walking with me I found it easy to leave my phone on charge whilst I had a shower by pointing to it and miming a little. When they wanted a shower or a walk to the shop I'd reciprocate by watching their phone. If we had to leave we took it with us and left a note.
Taking a 4 in 1 USB charger seems to be keeping everyone happy when there are few outlets

Last edited:
I would not leave my phone unattended and would stick to a liner only.
I would also bring a headlamp but NOT for getting out the door in the middle of the night (showing some respect to your fellow pilgrims who need their sleep, and actually see where you are walking and what is around you) but for figuring out where the bunk ladder is, or the chair you will need to get back up there, or find the loo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first Camino is fast approaching. I'm reading a book written by someone who walked the Camino that's raised a couple of more questions. First, the author suggests that you've got to stay with your phone in an albergue while it's charging or it may be stolen. (I'm aware there are pros and cons of taking a phone; I don't intend to use mine much, but do plan to take it.) Do others agree?

Second, the author apparently often started walking in the mornings before dark, and relied on a headlamp to find his way. I've seen a couple of posts from people who said they took a headlamp and never used it. My current plan is not to start walking before daylight, but I've never done the walk before and wonder if I might change my mind and wish I had a headlamp. (My dates are May 10 - June 27 (SJPP - Muxia), so I don't think it'll be super hot so much that I'll want to start before the sun rises to avoid afternoon heat.)

And a final question not raised by the book. I've tentatively decided to take only a sleeping bag liner, not a sleeping bag. Is it likely that with my dates, I'll be okay, or more likely I'll need a sleeping bag?

Thanks all. Buen Camino.
Having a phone with you is a good idea even if you never even use it. Personally I wouldn't leave it unattended while charging. Switch it completely off when not using it. You'll find enough opportunities to keep it charged up. Make sure you bring a plug adapter.
Not that hot in Spain during May and June. No need to walk in the dark. Besides you miss seeing the scenery when you do. Go ahead and bring a headlamp, but if you do use it in the albergue, switch it to red lens filter like someone else said on this thread.
A sleeping bag liner should work fine for you. No need for a bag.

This year I am taking a battery pack that is worth $25 that I can leave charging unattended and later use it to charge my phone if needed. It weighs hardly anything and if I lose it its not as big a deal.

The last thing I want to do is sit around because I have to watch my phone charge.

I would not risk leaving a phone charging unless i requested another pilgrim to keep an eye on it.
If I were leaving SJPP on May 10th I would bring a light sleeping bag. I once met a snowstorm at the Cruz de Ferro in the last week of May. If you decide to bring a head lamp PLEASE do not use it in the dorm when others are trying to sleep.
A little torch will light the way for you. It is a good idea to go out the evening before and make sure of your way out of the town in daylight. Once you are out in the country it is usually easy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stay with my phone when it is charging. I took only a liner in Sept-Oct and that is what I would do in May-June. I did not take a head lamp in Sept-October but would if I went again in October. I wouldn't in May-June.
Hi Cher, I'm planning to walk CF in early Sep to mid Oct. I was thinking about the headlamp. I note that sunrise/sunset time around that period to be around 8.16am/8.30pm. If staying in Albergue, most likely will be out by 7am. Will it be a little dark? If the sunset time is correct, then I'm not too worried about the sunset since I suppose I should have reached destination already.
Cheers.

Hi Cher, I'm planning to walk CF in early Sep to mid Oct. I was thinking about the headlamp. I note that sunrise/sunset time around that period to be around 8.16am/8.30pm. If staying in Albergue, most likely will be out by 7am. Will it be a little dark? If the sunset time is correct, then I'm not too worried about the sunset since I suppose I should have reached destination already.
Cheers.
When I began on Sept 9 at SJPP I would leave about 7:15 which worked well for me. Soon it was 7:30 and that was still ok. Before the end of my journey I was having to wait until at least 8:15 and on cloudy days 8:3o to see as clearly as I wanted to. Neither my vision nor balance are too good and I was afraid I would fall if I left before I could see really well. Another option was to follow someone out who had a light, but then I was committed to keeping up with them. I didn't want to use the light on my phone because it drains the battery and my phone was also my camera. The light on the phone was great in the albegues to find the bathroom and check around to make sure I had my items, but not for trail use.

The subject of headlamps comes up so often and I have always wondered this: if one chooses to bring a headlamp, why can't one simply carry it with the lamp pointed toward the floor when trying to find the facilities at night? Or with one's hand partially over it? Just because it's a headlamp doesn't mean it has to be on ones head, does it?

I plan to bring a headlamp, but I promise I will be considerate...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It can still be cold, wet and miserable in May. There is a big difference between the weather in May and September. People tend to think that because Spain means sun, they forget the actual geographic position and that the Camino will provide Mediterranean type weather!

The subject of headlamps comes up so often and I have always wondered this: if one chooses to bring a headlamp, why can't one simply carry it with the lamp pointed toward the floor when trying to find the facilities at night? Or with one's hand partially over it? Just because it's a headlamp doesn't mean it has to be on ones head, does it?

Suzanne, if you have the bottom bunk holding a toarch in your hand is not an issue, but if you have to make your way down from the top bunk and climb back up, the headlamp will be more useful, as well as while you're "in the action".

Thanks, everybody. No headlamp for me. I'll be taking a small key chain kind of light to get around an albergue at night and will patiently await daylight to get started in the mornings.

As someone suggested, I'm also thinking about a battery for charging the phone. This one weighs less than 5 ounces and, according to Anker customer service, will charge an iPhone about 3 times:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF1OGOG/?tag=casaivar02-20

I'm still mulling over the sleeping bag v. liner question for my May 10 departure from SJPP. Perhaps an insulated, somewhat heavier liner like this one (combined with an albergue blanket) would be a good compromise:

http://www.rei.com/product/797114/sea-to-summit-thermolite-reactor-extreme-mummy-bag-liner

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sometimes I have ventured out before sunrise, mostly because I am so amped up to walk I can't sleep, usually at the beginning of the Camino. When this happens, I clip my flashlight to the bill of my baseball cap. It works like a headlamp without all the straps and goofiness. Although my particular model is a couple of years old, I use something like the unit in the link attached. Also note, if you get a Lithium battery, you save weight too.

Using something like this allows you to be discreet in an Alburguee too by carefully positioning your thumb over the light emitting area when others are sleeping while navigating the maze of beds.

http://www.rei.com/product/876834/fenix-ld02-edc-flashlight

Sometimes I have ventured out before sunrise, mostly because I am so amped up to walk I can't sleep, usually at the beginning of the Camino. When this happens, I clip my flashlight to the bill of my baseball cap. It works like a headlamp without all the straps and goofiness. Although my particular model is a couple of years old, I use something like the unit in the link attached. Also note, if you get a Lithium battery, you save weight too.

Using something like this allows you to be discreet in an Alburguee too by carefully positioning your thumb over the light emitting area when others are sleeping while navigating the maze of beds.

http://www.rei.com/product/876834/fenix-ld02-edc-flashlight
Thanks, Damien. That sounds like a better, more versatile idea than the key chain light I was thinking of taking. Sometimes I wake up well before sunrise, and can't go back to sleep even at home, so what you describe is definitely a possibility for me too.

Ok, as far as a battery for charging the phone, I have never, ever needed one, and I'm like a electronics junky who brought an iphone, ipad, and digital camera along with on my last four caminos. For me there has always been a plug available at night to charge it enough so that the devices never go dead. That being said, THIS year I am planning to bring a battery (link below) because I want to use my phone's GPS and MapMyRun app to record actual distances and times. This type of constant on and position acquiring for the 6+ hours on a daily hike tends to eat the battery. Very similar to the one you mentioned before.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LRK8IV0/?tag=casaivar02-20

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I never heard of a person getting their phone stolen when I walked, but I'm sure it happens. Just keep and eye on it and you'll be fine. If you are really worried about it, you can pick up one of those external batteries and charge that instead of your phone.

I think everyone should have a phone for emergencies.

Ok, as far as a battery for charging the phone, I have never, ever needed one, and I'm like a electronics junky who brought an iphone, ipad, and digital camera along with on my last four caminos. For me there has always been a plug available at night to charge it enough so that the devices never go dead. That being said, THIS year I am planning to bring a battery (link below) because I want to use my phone's GPS and MapMyRun app to record actual distances and times. This type of constant on and position acquiring for the 6+ hours on a daily hike tends to eat the battery. Very similar to the one you mentioned before.

That's exactly what I was talking about! When I walked, there were only a handful of places where I had "issues" getting my stuff recharged. I had a cellphone, tablet, and camera too. I think external batteries are a great option because it's better that the battery gets stolen instead of your device. Or, if you can't find and outlet, you can still charge your device.

Thanks, everybody. No headlamp for me. I'll be taking a small key chain kind of light to get around an albergue at night and will patiently await daylight to get started in the mornings.

As someone suggested, I'm also thinking about a battery for charging the phone. This one weighs less than 5 ounces and, according to Anker customer service, will charge an iPhone about 3 times:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EF1OGOG/?tag=casaivar02-20

I'm still mulling over the sleeping bag v. liner question for my May 10 departure from SJPP. Perhaps an insulated, somewhat heavier liner like this one (combined with an albergue blanket) would be a good compromise:

http://www.rei.com/product/797114/sea-to-summit-thermolite-reactor-extreme-mummy-bag-liner

I bought an android phone before my Camino last year - its remarkably similar to my iPhone ito functionality but at a 10th of the price, so if it went missing it wouldn't be an issue, I'd just buy another one en route - that being said, I never left the phone charging without me being in the vicinity

I never bothered with a headlamp / torch - I did buy before I left but left them at home (added weight) - in my 50 days of walking, there were only 2 albergues that were pitch dark at night, the others either left the washroom and or passage light on; as for leaving in the dark - I wanted to see my surroundings so usually left at start light around 6.45 to 7.20am averaging 20km a day, I was usually done by 1 / 1.30 a good hr before the peak heat of the day

regarding sleeping bag vs liner - I'd bought a silk liner 150gm and a goose down sleeping bag 420gm which is really small when rolled up in a compression sack - I ended up only taking the sleeping bag - I walked from 12 May last year, it was still cold at night so was grateful for the sleeping bag; not all albergues have blankets and some of the blankets you wouldn't want to use - further into June when it started warming up in the evening I simply zipped open the sleeping bag and used this as a loose cover - I also took a sarong / pareo with me as it had multiple uses: dress, skirt, privacy divider between bunks beds, bottom sheet or top sheet, pillow, wrap, scarf, 'picnic blanket' etc so when an evening was particularly warm, I used this as a top sheet and left the sleeping bag unused
happy planning

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello. Headlamp, any good quality headlamp have different setting and also an inbuilt filter, when I go to the toilet in middle of night use the lowest setting. I always keep the lamp under the pillow, handy to check the time. Spring Camino sleeping bag, summer early Autumn a liner. Keep an eye on stuff when charging.

Hi what data pack do you use for your phone to use Mapmyrun - I am keen to use this and though it works on GPS only won't save without data? thanks Michele

This type of constant on and position acquiring for the 6+ hours on a daily hike tends to eat the battery. Very similar to the one you mentioned before.
You might want to consider tying a thin, flexible solar panel onto the top of your Rucksack. Weighing next to nothing, it kept my iPhone fully charged the entire day. There is a wide choice, but a close look at the specs avoids disappointment, many offerings are just toys. I used Fly USB Solar Charger by iLand (www.iland-solar.com).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might want to consider tying a thin, flexible solar panel onto the top of your Rucksack. Weighing next to nothing, it kept my iPhone fully charged the entire day. There is a wide choice, but a close look at the specs avoids disappointment, many offerings are just toys. I used Fly USB Solar Charger by iLand (www.iland-solar.com).
My son gave me a Waka Waka for Christmas, I can't wait to test it out.

That early in May, I'd take a sleeping bag. Last year it snowed in June.
Stay with your phone when charging it unless you can afford to lose it.
If you decide on a headlamp, PLEASE don't use it in the albergue - I HATE those things shining in my eyes before daylight.
There is really no reason to walk in the dark - just wait until daylight.

Thanks all. Buen Camino.
I took only a silk sleep liner - most albergues supplied blankets on request - and I was always warm enough, even when there were no blankets supplied - with lots of bodies around, the air is usually pretty warm at nighttime. Re the phone charging question, I do have to admit that I trusted people and left my phone charging, also my small camera when needed, and I never had any issues with people stealing.

€83,-
Hi what data pack do you use for your phone to use Mapmyrun - I am keen to use this and though it works on GPS only won't save without data? thanks Michele
Ok, Mapmyrun doesn't require internet data when it is tracking your path. I set my cellular data setting to not allow cellular data for MapMyRun. Now, it is totally true that you need an internet connection in order to save your data. I wait to save the "workout" until an internet connection is available.
But... as an FYI, i typically sign up for an AT&T international data roaming plan before I head to Spain, so I can, if I like, occasionally connect to the internet via cellular. Its sort of expensive.

1. I took a phone. Charged it every night. At first, I stayed by it while it was charging, then as I developed friendships along the way, we would look after each other's stuff when we needed to take showers, etc. The only time I heard of a phone being stolen was in Leon when it was left on top of a backpack in the plaza.
  2. I took an outlet adapter that allowed three things to be plugged in at the same time, so as not to hog the outlet (the adapter was well labeled as being mine, also).
  3. I took a small turn-the-crank-to-make-electricity-or-use-solar-energy keychain flashlight which I clipped onto my backpack. If I needed to use a headlamp to find my way on the Camino, I was leaving TOO DARN EARLY! Plus, I found that those pilgrims who left the earliest were the most likely to leave items behind. Plus, headlamps often inadvertently flashed in sleeping pilgrims faces - they're hard to focus.
  4. I took a lightweight sleeping bag and it worked perfectly. Very lightweight, cozy. I walked in May/June/July.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took only a silk sleep liner - most albergues supplied blankets on request - and I was always warm enough, even when there were no blankets supplied - with lots of bodies around, the air is usually pretty warm at nighttime. Re the phone charging question, I do have to admit that I trusted people and left my phone charging, also my small camera when needed, and I never had any issues with people stealing.
What time of the year/part of the month did you walk? Also, in all of this about being warm enough at night, it seems the assumption is that there is little or no heat in some/many/all? albergues (other than people's body heat). Is it the case that most albergues have no heat when it's cold outside? Or is that the exception, and not the rule?

What time of the year/part of the month did you walk? Also, in all of this about being warm enough at night, it seems the assumption is that there is little or no heat in some/many/all? albergues (other than people's body heat). Is it the case that most albergues have no heat when it's cold outside? Or is that the exception, and not the rule?
I walked the CF in October. During the day it was still hot. But at night it was a lot colder, specially at elevations. Yes you can assume most alberques would not have sufficient heat. Even alberques with heating are programmed to cut-off heat after everyone falls asleep for reducing cost. Most will keep windows open to airate the unit. So, i found it very cold at night with my liner. So, ended up buying a light sleeping bag (15c, 700g). Standard silk liners are intended to add extra comfort/warmth and extend the life of a sleeping bag. If you are looking for a liner as an alternative to sleeping bag, a merino wool liner or similar should give bit more warmth and weighs around 500g. So, if counting grams, a warmer liner could be an option.

Last edited:
I could tell you about the grief when I went to the toilet at a couple of places. A lot of washrooms had lights activated by a motion sensor and kept on by a timer. I found it discouraging to be left in the dark with pants around my ankles and a hank of soiled paper in hand, with the motion sensor not usually monitoring the stall. Subsequently, whenever I reached for my bog roll I also reached for my headlamp.

Theft is not normally an issue in albergues but it does happen. Leaving your shiny objects sculling about causes temptation so there is a risk leaving phones unattended while charging. You'll have to weigh the decision about the impact of phone loss would have versus not having a charged up battery.

The Camino Frances goes over 3 mountain passes between SJPdP and Santiago. I would not rely on there being warm weather in mountains anywhere at any time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most every pilgrim is a thief, there is a huge international phone cartel that exists only to supply non-pilgrims with phones they can't unlock and that they all are hoping that the phones are loaded with pictures of people they have never seen.

Second, take an enixpensive sleeping bag and if you need to leave it behind...ditch it. Liners are not really any extra weight so take both.

Third...GO, Stop worrying. Worry more about your boots.

Last edited:
I use a very small light that is waterproof and has a flash mode. It wraps on my chest strap and can be directed, although I use it hand held most often and I can point it behind me, flashing as a vehicle approaches. Headlamps can be obnoxious as one person described them as "a bunch of drunk lighthouse keepers" my first Camino I brought one and gave it away.
I have always used the example of a shelf of smart phones being charged as how safe my albergue experiences have been.
Regularly you will find blankets to supplement your sleeping gear (I bring a very light bag).
Don't go scared our Camino's are ongoing before and after Spain........... Willy, Utah

In 2013 I walked in May to June 24th......we had some very wet and cold days outside, but the Albergues were always warm...most did have heating on for a while during the later afternoons and early evenings but these were turned off during the nighttime hours. I didn't notice anyone complaining of the cold during the nighttime. My second walk was during April last year.....also warm enough in the Albergues during the night.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello - I'm pretty sure you've had all the answer you need but here's my thoughts... I walked September/October last year.

... you've got to stay with your phone in an albergue while it's charging or it may be stolen...

I'll agree with most folks... it's a sensible precaution. Most times it was never a problem, one or two times perhaps a little inconvenient but I always managed to charge my phone and dont remember it being an issue.

...the author apparently often started walking in the mornings before dark, and relied on a headlamp to find his way...

My plan was to not start before dark but it often transpired that i did :D Early risers, heat, cold, unable to sleep... lots of reasons meant I had enough dark or dimpsy mornings to make me regret not taking a head torch. I'm walking again for a week or two in April and I've added a lightweight one to my pack... one of the few things I've added.

As folks have said inside they can be a nuisance but outside they are essential... also handy if you're walking back after a meal out in the dark.

... I've tentatively decided to take only a sleeping bag liner, not a sleeping bag...

I did the same and my first night at Roncesvalles was a little chilly at 4:00am but I thought perhaps it was the mountains and the windows all being open... but I regularly woke around 4:00am feeling cold but due to the timings of when we arrived at cities, it was Astogora before I could buy a sleeping bag... and ohhh it was so lovely to feel cosy and warm. If you have the choice of a light bag I would take it.

Have a great walk! :)

Thanks Damien I will check out the costs - ta Shell

Ok, Mapmyrun doesn't require internet data when it is tracking your path. I set my cellular data setting to not allow cellular data for MapMyRun. Now, it is totally true that you need an internet connection in order to save your data. I wait to save the "workout" until an internet connection is available.
But... as an FYI, i typically sign up for an AT&T international data roaming plan before I head to Spain, so I can, if I like, occasionally connect to the internet via cellular. Its sort of expensive.

If you are not taking a sleeping bag you may wish to know that it snowed in O'Cebreiro on the 19th May 2014. It was so very cold.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am starting from SJPdP on April 22nd and I have purchased a ultra light sleeping bag and a liner. Will I need both?

Thanks
Andrew

I am starting from SJPdP on April 22nd and I have purchased a ultra light sleeping bag and a liner. Will I need both?

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew, I'm starting from SJPP on May 10 and have - finally - concluded that's what I'll do. Here's from a post from someone else that helped me reach that conclusion: "I had the good luck a few years ago to buy a sleeping bag liner which is essentially a very light down/feather sleeping bag with a zip all round so it opens out flat. Together with the lightest silk liner It has proved perfect for the Camino and has been now with me numerous times, in all sorts of weather - if hot I open it flat, lay it on the bed (hygiene) and sleep on top in a silk sleeping sheet, if middling weather I sleep on top of the silk sleeping sheet with the down liner open on top of me like a counter pane, if cold I get inside the zipped up bag, if very cold inside silk and bag."

Andrew, I'm starting from SJPP on May 10 and have - finally - concluded that's what I'll do. Here's from a post from someone else that helped me reach that conclusion: "I had the good luck a few years ago to buy a sleeping bag liner which is essentially a very light down/feather sleeping bag with a zip all round so it opens out flat. Together with the lightest silk liner It has proved perfect for the Camino and has been now with me numerous times, in all sorts of weather - if hot I open it flat, lay it on the bed (hygiene) and sleep on top in a silk sleeping sheet, if middling weather I sleep on top of the silk sleeping sheet with the down liner open on top of me like a counter pane, if cold I get inside the zipped up bag, if very cold inside silk and bag."
Thank you.

Thanks all. Buen Camino.

1. There were numerous times in the albergues where I left my unattended mobile charging for short periods while I was having a shower or washing clothes. I tried to kind of hide it when I did that - putting the mobile under a pillow or sleeping bag or sliding it underneath the bed - although I imagine that if someone had wanted to take it they would have seen it. I never had any problems, but if I was going to be out of the albergue for an extended period of time I would always take the mobile with me.

2. I walked during late September and in October so for most of my Camino it wasn't getting light until about 8.30am I was often trying to get ready in darkness in the albergues, so the headlamp gave me some much-needed light when I was doing that. I was also usually out of the albergue and on the road by 7.30am, so there was always at least an hour of darkness at the start of the walk each day. I took a headlamp with me and I'm glad I did. Quite a number of mornings I would find myself walking in a forest or in the countryside in the dark, and the headlamp was important for picking out puddles and obstacles, and seeing the Camino markers. It might be different for you in May and June, but I couldn't have done without a headlamp in September and October.

3. I had a sleeping bag rated to 5 degrees celsius, and I needed it in September and October. Again, it might be different for you in May and June.

1. There were numerous times in the albergues where I left my unattended mobile charging for short periods while I was having a shower or washing clothes. I tried to kind of hide it when I did that - putting the mobile under a pillow or sleeping bag or sliding it underneath the bed - although I imagine that if someone had wanted to take it they would have seen it. I never had any problems, but if I was going to be out of the albergue for an extended period of time I would always take the mobile with me.

2. I walked during late September and in October so for most of my Camino it wasn't getting light until about 8.30am I was often trying to get ready in darkness in the albergues, so the headlamp gave me some much-needed light when I was doing that. I was also usually out of the albergue and on the road by 7.30am, so there was always at least an hour of darkness at the start of the walk each day. I took a headlamp with me and I'm glad I did. Quite a number of mornings I would find myself walking in a forest or in the countryside in the dark, and the headlamp was important for picking out puddles and obstacles, and seeing the Camino markers. It might be different for you in May and June, but I couldn't have done without a headlamp in September and October.

3. I had a sleeping bag rated to 5 degrees celsius, and I needed it in September and October. Again, it might be different for you in May and June.
Thank you, Adhemar. That's helpful.

Excellent advice! As I read somewhere recently, the most uncommon of senses is common sense.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Yes Suzanne, I agree...hold the headlamp near the floor for a midnight bathroom run, and keep it partly covered. I intend to do that when i leave in just under 2 weeks.

there is a huge international phone cartel that exists only to supply non-pilgrims with phones they can't unlock.

I know you're joking but there is. What happens is they use your phone to ring pay lines. You get billed for each call . Quite a bit.

I think the UK companies have brought out ways to limit the damage but people in the past got some very expensive bills

Yes Suzanne, I agree...hold the headlamp near the floor for a midnight bathroom run, and keep it partly covered. I intend to do that when i leave in just under 2 weeks.
Headlamps are incredibly bright in a dark room. Do your room mates a favour. Use the soft glow of your phone/tablet/Ipod.

Some of the newer phones come with rapid chargers. 30 minutes or less and you'll get a fair bit of a charge. Not 100% but it's fast .

... First, the author suggests that you've got to stay with your phone in an albergue while it's charging or it may be stolen. ..
... Second, the author apparently often started walking in the mornings before dark, and relied on a headlamp to find his way. ...

1.) Yes, agree.
2.) No, never did that, never started walking earlier than sunrise.
3.) I always take a sleeping bag, those blankets can be dirty/last washed during the past millennium!

Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back