Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone Charging on the Primitivo

b87

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hi All,
Please could someone advise if it is possible and easy to charge your phone in the albergues each evening?Although I plan to use my phone as little as possible and really disconnect, should I need to refer to it for mapping etc each day I want to be sure I can charge it most evenings.
I will be walking for the first time the first 2.5 weeks of September! :)
Thanks in advance!
Barry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi All,
Please could someone advise if it is possible and easy to charge your phone in the albergues each evening?Although I plan to use my phone as little as possible and really disconnect, should I need to refer to it for mapping etc each day I want to be sure I can charge it most evenings.
I will be walking for the first time the first 2.5 weeks of September! :)
Thanks in advance!
Barry.
Hello Barry. You will have no problem at all. I was able to charge phone/gps watch as often as I wished or needed in May.
Make sure you have an adapter for Spanish sockets if you need one. You may need to share with other people, but not generally a shortage. You can also often use a socket in a restaurant or bar, though it is probably polite to ask permission first! But it seems to be a very common practice.
Tim

Please always ask before plugging-in in a bar / resto. The locals do: so should you. The only time I have ever seen a Pilg refused was in the Elvis bar - either the coffee-machine or the music system would have had to be un-plugged (there were 'phones festooned from every other outlet) - even Elvis wasn't going to go that far...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Barry. You will have no problem at all. I was able to charge phone/gps watch as often as I wished or needed in May.
Make sure you have an adapter for Spanish sockets if you need one. You may need to share with other people, but not generally a shortage. You can also often use a socket in a restaurant or bar, though it is probably polite to ask permission first! But it seems to be a very common practice.
Tim

Thank you Tim, much appreciated and very helpful!

Tim
Tim, I notice you mention a gps watch. I am taking a handheld gps on the Portuguese coastal route next week. As I never used gps on the Francés (no need) I wondered how useful you have found it on your various caminos? I am thinking of doing the Primitivo next year if all goes well this trip.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Tim, I notice you mention a gps watch. I am taking a handheld gps on the Portuguese coastal route next week. As I never used gps on the Francés (no need) I wondered how useful you have found it on your various caminos? I am thinking of doing the Primitivo next year if all goes well this trip.
My "only" watch is a GPS running watch (Garmin230) which I use for running training. But I wear it all the time. It records distance and track and so it is of interest for looking, and recording, where I have been, afterwards! No positive contribution along the way except that I do know how far I have gone at any point - but that is not usually any great help. It needs charging daily if you use GPS for 8 hours although it will go for a month if you don't. When I have needed GPS help, which is remarkably rare (fingers crossed still), I have in recent times used my iphone. I am intending to explore using wikiloc, on my phone, in the future, but have not got there yet. And it is not top of my to do list! Certainly on the primitivo, you would not need to bring a GPS device especially for wayfinding. Once or twice on the Norte I might have found it helpful.
I would be very interested to hear how CP goes. I am planning on doing it in November. There seem to be a LOT of variant routes. ....

My "only" watch is a GPS running watch (Garmin230) which I use for running training. But I wear it all the time. It records distance and track and so it is of interest for looking, and recording, where I have been, afterwards! No positive contribution along the way except that I do know how far I have gone at any point - but that is not usually any great help. It needs charging daily if you use GPS for 8 hours although it will go for a month if you don't. When I have needed GPS help, which is remarkably rare (fingers crossed still), I have in recent times used my iphone. I am intending to explore using wikiloc, on my phone, in the future, but have not got there yet. And it is not top of my to do list! Certainly on the primitivo, you would not need to bring a GPS device especially for wayfinding. Once or twice on the Norte I might have found it helpful.
I would be very interested to hear how CP goes. I am planning on doing it in November. There seem to be a LOT of variant routes. ....
Thanks Tim for that. I just like "toys" really! Have decided I will definitely give the Primitivo a go next year, although I know it will be more challenging than either little bits of the Francés ( or I suspect Portugal. I will certainly put a post on about my experience of the CP once I am back.

Thanks Tim for that. I just like "toys" really! Have decided I will definitely give the Primitivo a go next year, although I know it will be more challenging than either little bits of the Francés ( or I suspect Portugal. I will certainly put a post on about my experience of the CP once I am back.
Oh dear I love toys too! I have been looking for an excuse to get a hand held GPS....

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back