• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone service in France and Spain

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2018)
I plan to walk the Camino in September/October 2018. I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy s8. What is the best way to use it, if necessary, to call within France and Spain, and also possibly to the US? If I need a Sim card for Europe, do any of the forum members have recommendations?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I go to Barcelona every year and purchase a SIM card from the Orange store that provides more data that I have used yet in a 4 week period. In the past year, the EU made a rule that all SIM cards in the EU must be usable in all EU countries! So that is sweet. What I cannot answer is which or if any companies have good coverage over any of the caminos. I hope to find that out before my first Camino next year.

Orange and Vodaphone are the two main mobile providers in Spain, and in France too. I recommend hitting the first mobile shop you encounter, either at the Madrid airport, or at your starting town. They are accustomed to helping pilgrims as well as tourists.

Also, I advise buying more data and less voice capacity. You will use data for text, internet, e-mail, GPS, maps, etc. every day, while voice calls will likely be more sporadic. I suggest at least 1 Gb for your Camino of up to a month.

Personally, I have a 5 Gb monthly plan with t-Mobile here in the US. I have the 'Simple Choice' plan. They allow me to use all my data and make unlimited texts in 140 countries, including all of Europe, without surcharges or roaming fees. Voice calls in and out are USD .20 per minute (20 cents). It is not much and it works great for me.

Beware of plans offering unlimited voice call or text, but only 100Mb of data. That is not much data. You can easily consume 100 Mb just updating apps periodically. Buy more data. Alternatively, be able to recharge your phone over the internet using a credit card.

Also, if your device supports Wi-Fi voice calls, you can put your device into airplane mode, then turn Wi-Fi on, if you happen to be someplace with free Wi-Fi. Then you can make voice over Wi-Fi calls without charge.

I use Face Time - Audio calls - on my iPhone this way. Others use Facebook, Skype, and other similar apps to make internet based voice calls. This preserves scarce voice capability for emergency or urgent calls.

Hope this helps

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Who is your provider? I have Sprint and my texting and data were free and call were free as well if they were to another Sprint phone. But since the data was free I mainly used WhatsApp

With few exceptions, cellular service, and especially for use while in another country, is outrageously expensive for folks in North America (Canada & US). Sprint may offer a good alternative...see above. But, they are merging soon with t-Mobile... t-Mobile is the gaining company, so the name going forward will likely remain t-Mobile.

As I mentioned above, I use t-Mobile as my provider in the US and am very satisfied with being able to use all my data allotment, PLUS my accumulated stash of non-used prior month's data, when I am in any of 140 foreign countries, including all of Europe, without roaming charges or fees.

The primary advantage is not having to change SIM cards or adopt a different phone number when out of the US. If someone calls my mobile, it simply rings in Spain, Thailand, Malaysia, or wherever I happen to be. As t-Mobile is one of the first and largest European mobile / cellular providers (home, Germany) they have a huge network of partners all over the world.

Yes, it can be less expensive to obtain a native Spanish SIM for the period you are here. But, I much prefer the seamless nature of t-Mobile's service. As soon as I land at Madrid or Paris, my phone boots up to the local partner provider as though they were my native service. this is at least to me, a huge benefit.

Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With few exceptions, cellular service, and especially for use while in another country, is outrageously expensive for folks in North America (Canada & US). Sprint may offer a good alternative...see above. But, they are merging soon with t-Mobile... t-Mobile is the gaining company, so the name going forward will likely remain t-Mobile.

As I mentioned above, I use t-Mobile as my provider in the US and am very satisfied with being able to use all my data allotment, PLUS my accumulated stash of non-used prior month's data, when I am in any of 140 foreign countries, including all of Europe, without roaming charges or fees.

The primary advantage is not having to change SIM cards or adopt a different phone number when out of the US. If someone calls my mobile, it simply rings in Spain, Thailand, Malaysia, or wherever I happen to be. As t-Mobile is one of the first and largest European mobile / cellular providers (home, Germany) they have a huge network of partners all over the world.

Yes, it can be less expensive to obtain a native Spanish SIM for the period you are here. But, I much prefer the seamless nature of t-Mobile's service. As soon as I land at Madrid or Paris, my phone boots up to the local partner provider as though they were my native service. this is at least to me, a huge benefit.

Hope this helps.
I am on the T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55 plan. Will I need to make any changes to the plan when I arrive at CDG? Anticipate being in Europe for at least two months. Walking Camino starting early September.

I am on the T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55 plan. Will I need to make any changes to the plan when I arrive at CDG? Anticipate being in Europe for at least two months. Walking Camino starting early September.
I have the same plan. I've used T-mobile for several years now, including two Caminos and several other trips to Europe, Mexico and Central America. I always get a welcome to xxx country text when I enter a new country, and an offer of paying more to boost my data speed. I've never done that in the past. But this year I discovered that for $10 a month I can increase my data speed while I'm abroad. You can add it before you leave, then take it off when you get back. Make sure to do it ahead of time because you might have to wait until your next billing cycle for it to take effect. Ask for T-mobile One Plus
Screenshot_20180604-052307.jpg

And rather than using T-mobile's service to make phone calls at 20¢ a minute, I use the Viber app to make free calls to my husband, and buy $5 worth of Viber credit to make very cheap - 2¢ a minute calls to landlines. You should also install WhatsApp because it's very popular in Spain, and you can use it to call or text many albergues.

I have the "Simple Choice" plan. I recommend you verify the seamlessness, of your plan at your local t-Mobile shop. You also might want ot have a look at this, form the t-Mobile US web site.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

Assuming it works the same way as mine, getting started is no different than landing an any domestic US airport. Turn on phone. It searches. It logs onto an available network...easy peasy. Just make sure your network search is set to 'automatic' in settings.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the "Simple Choice" plan. I recommend you verify the seamlessness, of your plan at your local t-Mobile shop. You also might want ot have a look at this, form the t-Mobile US web site.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

Assuming it works the same way as mine, getting started is no different than landing an any domestic US airport. Turn on phone. It searches. It logs onto an available network...easy peasy. Just make sure your network search is set to 'automatic' in settings.

Hope this helps.
trecile and t2andreo, I only switched to T-Mobile in February. When I was in the store talking about going to Europe, the sales folks told me I could buy a $25 add-on type of plan that would start on whatever day I bought it and end on that same date the following month. I could purchase the plan at $25 a month for as many months as I thought I would need it. I could cancel at any time. This plan would allow me to call anyone, anytime, anywhere while in Europe. Are you familiar with such? Not leaving until September 3rd, so I still have a little time to get this phone business locked down. I've read nothing but good reviews about T-Mobile and Europe on this forum, so I did not hesitate to do business with them. Thank you for your input.

Thank you for the added information. Existing t-Mobile customers that have a plan that may not include the international use provision can benefit from this add-on.

Forget Vodafone prepaid sim. Presently on a camino, I bought one 15 days ago and it has yet to work. A visit to three different Vodafone stores along the way resulted in nothing but blank stares.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can vouch for LeFrench Mobile, which I used on the last trip. You get your SIM by mail before you leave. Activate it and get your new phone number when you get there. English telephone support. On line top ups via international credit card. Probably not the cheapest, but coverage was great, and everything worked exactly as expected.

Buen Camino

trecile and t2andreo, I only switched to T-Mobile in February. When I was in the store talking about going to Europe, the sales folks told me I could buy a $25 add-on type of plan that would start on whatever day I bought it and end on that same date the following month. I could purchase the plan at $25 a month for as many months as I thought I would need it. I could cancel at any time. This plan would allow me to call anyone, anytime, anywhere while in Europe. Are you familiar with such? Not leaving until September 3rd, so I still have a little time to get this phone business locked down. I've read nothing but good reviews about T-Mobile and Europe on this forum, so I did not hesitate to do business with them. Thank you for your input.
Yes, I am aware of that plan, but I opted for the $10 a month data speed boost plan instead. My $5 worth of Viber credit allows me to make all the phone calls I need while on the Camino, and I usually have a lot of credit left over. I would have to spend $50 for two months of the other plan, and it's not worth it to me, though it might be to someone else.

And for anyone else like me who has been using T-mobile and is over 55 years old ask them about the 55+ plan. It has the same features as the regular T-mobile One plan but at a discount! I haven't seen it advertised, and only learned about it when someone mentioned it on the forum. My husband and I are now saving about $35 a month.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.