• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone the hotel direct and ask for the pilgrim discount ...

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
Hi,

I read this phrase: "Phone the hotel direct and ask for the pilgrim discount " quite a few times the last couple of weeks in different threads.

Do all Hotels on the Camino give a pilgrim discount?

Also interested in learning how much this discount might be? That is, if there is an approximate average of discount or does it differ from hotel to hotel and no general answer is possible? And it's going to be trial and error?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No general answer is possible. Some do, some don't, and some will depending on who answers the telephone. My experience has been that pilgrims get the commercial rate-- on occasions when management directions don't allow this, desk staff have upgraded me, or provided me with free drinks, or free breakfast. I am grateful for whatever is possible. I would never think of asking a mom & pop operation for a discount, but have been pretty fearless with larger operations or chains. I also find that the more remote and less-trafficked the route, the better one's chances.

Others will likely have other experiences. I wouldn't mind hearing them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just make a reservation and would not dream of asking for a discount because I am a pilgrim. I see no reason why anybody would give me discount for doing a thing I do for my own pleasure/motives

I think it depends upon which hotel you are intending to stay at and whether they are "set up" as a camino / pilgrim friendly organisation. Check their web site, often this information will be included on their home page.
For all other hotels / casa rural etc, well there is no harm in politely asking (explain your situation etc). If there are two of you and you request a twin/double room they might be more accommodating. Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don’t think so. There are some hotels who offer a pilgrim discount on their website. I think two hotels at the beginning of the Camino Francés did so in the past (Roncesvalles and Akerreta) but maybe not anymore, at least I did not see it on their website.

When explicitly offered, I’ve taken advantage of it in the past. I think I might have done for Roncesvalles and Akerreta in fact and also in France. Otherwise I’m like @Antonius Vaessen: I wouldn’t dream of asking. It may be a cultural thing ...

The Parador in Leon (which is currently under renovations) had a special Pilgrim rate. They are very expensive to start with, the pilgrim rate knocked it down 20 euro when I stayed there, and included free breakfast. I indulged myself and it was worth it :)

I've seen pilgrim rates in some places other than that, but it was really random. Some places had discount vouchers for the nearby restaurant.
I usually do like @C clearly and say "Hi, my name is Ana, I'm a pilgrim walking to Santiago. Do you have a room? Does it include breakfast?" That immediatly tells them who i am and what I am interested in (bed and food).

Thanks for all your answers.

I think C clearlys way will be mine too:
I would say, when I call to make a reservation: "I am a pilgrim, walking the Camino X. Do you have a room for 1 person? What is the price?"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please remember that it makes a difference for small family-run hotels if you book directly. The booking sites take 15% of what you pay.
But no one is forcing them to be on the booking sites. I have mixed feelings about this. The small hotels get exposure and advertising by being on these sites.

I just make a reservation and would not dream of asking for a discount because I am a pilgrim. I see no reason why anybody would give me discount for doing a thing I do for my own pleasure/motives
The reason why I asked was, because I read this phrase: "Phone the hotel direct and ask for the pilgrim discount " quite a few times the last couple of weeks in different threads. So I wondered whether this is common practice or not. That's why I asked, because I don't like presumptuousness either ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There was a message that has disappeared where someone mentioned how you can get discounts for all sorts of reasons. I think this is more common in some countries than in others. For example when I go to the UK, I still marvel about the many “2 for 1” or “3 for 2” offers in the shops. And during my first visit to the USA many years ago I was fascinated by pages and pages of vouchers and discounts for all sorts of things in free newspapers or brochures. I’m not used to this.

There was a message that has disappeared where someone mentioned how you can get discounts for all sorts of reasons. I think this is more common in some countries than in others. For example when I go to the UK, I still marvel about the many “2 for 1” or “3 for 2” offers in the shops. And during my first visit to the USA many years ago I was fascinated by pages and pages of vouchers and discounts for all sorts of things in free newspapers or brochures. I’m not used to this.
There is a big difference between a discount being offered and asking for a discount.

There would likely be more hotels offering discounts to pilgrims if there were more pilgrims walking reverse caminos. Say they do offer a discount to pilgrims in the hopes that each pilgrim will pass the word on so the hotel can make more money in spite of the discount by bringing in more pilgrims. 99 plus percent of the pilgrims will only be able to tell pilgrims who have already passed the place.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also interested in learning how much this discount might be?
I just noticed that the Hospederia Monástico Pax in Leon offers a 5% pilgrim’s discount when you book through their website. This is a lovely hotel in a former monastery. The nuns are still there but the hotel part is either sold or managed by Keytel Hotels however they are. At a guess, such a discount is probably often in this range, perhaps up to 10% or 15% - a sum they‘d also “loose” if you booked through Booking.com for example 😊.

I like to stay in hotels or casa rurales with historic roots reaching far into the past or those that have been restored and still feel authentic. They are often family-run and I just hope they flourish and remain much the way they are and are not swallowed by Best Western etc. The Norte y Londres in Burgos is such a hotel with an authentic „feel“. I think this is where you may have read very recently the advice to ring and ask for “the“ pilgrim discount ... I stayed there but don’t know whether they have such a discount. Your question is totally legit, btw and imho. 🤓

Lots of options here. Speaking for myself I am thrilled to get senior rates now that I am way over 65. It's a rate I have earned.
Not every business offers a senior rate however, I walk the Camino Francis every year and have been kindly requested by hotel managers to book directly next time to get the repeat customer rate.
Of course albergue rates are already low but some charge tourists (non pilgrims) more.
So cultural difference aside, I enjoy the the kindness offered, accept and thank them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always explain that I am a Moderator on the Most Powerful Camino Related Forum on the Internet and that if I don't get a free room and a bottle of Cava they are done for...

This has provided for much laughter, the occasional shrugged shoulder and, once, some excellent exercise for their dogs. Nevertheless I will persist in my belief that I am someone special and entitled.

But I'm minded of the friendly Hotel Favila in Oviedo where, on our first visit, the desk clerk looked at our packs and boots and asked to see our credencials and told us of his own caminos and included cena and desayuno in the room rate and the bar-man who figured the postprandial brandies were included too. I suppose there is a reason why we keep going back...

I always explain that I am a Moderator on the Most Powerful Camino Related Forum on the Internet and that if I don't get a free room and a bottle of Cava they are done for...

This has provided for much laughter, the occasional shrugged shoulder and, once, some excellent exercise for their dogs. Nevertheless I will persist in my belief that I am someone special and entitled.

But I'm minded of the friendly Hotel Favila in Oviedo where, on our first visit, the desk clerk looked at our packs and boots and asked to see our credencials and told us of his own caminos and included cena and desayuno in the room rate and the bar-man who figured the postprandial brandies were included too. I suppose there is a reason why we keep going back...
Last week in Bitola (North Macedonia) I stayed in a backpacker hostel booked through Bookingdotcom. Without that site I wouldn't have known of its existence. The friendly host explained he had to pay €3 to Bdotcom. I stayed a second night - and it was three euros cheaper. I (shamelessly) use the same site often to find accommodation then Google the phone number and phone directly. It NEVER costs more and often costs less. It pays back in full the effort to learn enough language to speak on the phone. Some hotel proprietors are unfriendly. But I like to start with the assumption that they love me.😁

How about asking if a discount is offered to pilgrims? Slightly different from asking for a discount because you are a pilgrim.
Exactly!!!

And let me remind you that empty plane seat is the most expensive seat for the company. Same with room that hasn't been sold out. Simply ask IF and not FOR and as @C clearly does and it might do the trick. If the room cost 25€ it's still better to get 23€ than 0€ for the proprietor. But be sure you'll leave those 2€ in that village nevertheless ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots of options here. Speaking for myself I am thrilled to get senior rates now that I am way over 65. It's a rate I have earned.
Not every business offers a senior rate however, I walk the Camino Francis every year and have been kindly requested by hotel managers to book directly next time to get the repeat customer rate.
Of course albergue rates are already low but some charge tourists (non pilgrims) more.
So cultural difference aside, I enjoy the the kindness offered, accept and thank them.

I am a repeat offender on some routes and have been given repeat-guest discounts and upgrades at several places, without asking for them. Another casa rural, situated directly on the del Norte, kindly gave me a bottle of cava on my 3d visit, and I was able to sip on it as the end-of-day pilgrims walked by, and was able to cheer them on to their destination. Booking directly is usually positively received by most innkeepers.

Discussing this with another pilgrim friend, she noted that this entire discussion fell under the rubric of "first-world problems."

this entire discussion fell under the rubric of "first-world problems."
Same as the discounts for old age. I am fortunate to be healthy and affluent enough at my age, when I have time to do them. Nevertheless, it is nice to get a little gift in the form of a discount, however small. @KinkyOne made a good point about leaving the benefit in the village.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Discussing this with another pilgrim friend, she noted that this entire discussion fell under the rubric of "first-world problems."
LOL, walking a camino is a first-world endeavour. Can’t imagine that anyone has third-world problems there ... besides, I can barely regard this topic as a problem and don’t see much expression of indignation in the thread. Someone asked for clarification about what she read in recent threads and it was actually @oursonpolaire himself who said that he „wouldn’t mind hearing“ other people‘s experience. 🙃

Please remember that it makes a difference for small family-run hotels if you book directly. The booking sites take 15% of what you pay.
Some take a lot more and then prohibit the hotel operators from advertising any lower prices. So yes where possible book directly!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
LOL, walking a camino is a first-world endeavour. Can’t imagine that anyone has third-world problems there ... besides, I can barely regard this topic as a problem and don’t see much expression of indignation in the thread. Someone asked for clarification about what she read in recent threads and it was actually @oursonpolaire himself who said that he „wouldn’t mind hearing“ other people‘s experience. 🙃

For clarity, I was mocking myself, not others. It's what the academics call autoreferential ludic discourse.

So the password is "I'm a friend of Tinker's" together with a knowing wink? Gotcha, thanks T!

Coming from Australia, despite the awful exchange rate - all the accomodation rates seem like discounts to me

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In old times you saw a we take American Express you could ask right away for a 10 % discount when not paying with American Express.
Booking.Com takes 15% for using their site so with calling directly they can offer you that discount if you ask.

Hi,

I read this phrase: "Phone the hotel direct and ask for the pilgrim discount " quite a few times the last couple of weeks in different threads.

Also interested in learning how much this discount might be? That is, if there is an approximate average of discount or does it differ from hotel to hotel and no general answer is possible? And it's going to be trial and error?
I won’t be asking for a discount. Spain has high unemployment and I think if I can afford the time, airfare, food and accommodation costs then I am happy for my money to go into the local economy.

When walking the Camino I have noticed that some hotels advertise “Pilgrims Rates”, so perhaps it would be nicer to ask if they offer “pilgrims Rates” 👣😀

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Semantics may be the death of us all. . . . also self-righteousness

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back