• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phoning ahead on Salvador

david46

Should be old enough to know better...
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portugese, St. Jaume, Del Sur, Primitivo, Vadiniense, Salvador, Mozarabe
Hi, My wife and I will be walking the Camino del Salvador over 6 days starting 8th October. Is there any need to phone ahead to the albergues, particularly in the small villages? Thanks for your help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oooh, I walked the Salvador once in the fall and it was lovely. A bit cold, I remember the Farmacia said 4 degrees when we left León.

Hi, My wife and I will be walking the Camino del Salvador over 6 days starting 8th October. Is there any need to phone ahead to the albergues, particularly in the small villages? Thanks for your help.

If you are staying in Poladura de la Tercia, and if you want a meal, you should definitely call ahead. The Casa Rural, Posada El Embrujo, will serve meals to guests and pilgrims so long as you call ahead. http://www.posadaelembrujo.es/. The place is under new management, and reports continue to be very positive. I have slept in the Embrujo and it was very comfy. The albergue might be cold in October.

The albergue in Pajares has heaters, and no need to call ahead.

Are you going to stay in Bendueños? If so, I would call ahead. That is a five star, fabulous albergue, and Sandra will cook for you as well.

I haven’t stayed in the albergue in Pola de Lenafor many years, but if I remember right, it is in a building that is closed on weekends, so you will need to get the key from the police.

What stages are you planning to walk? I have done a 4, 5, and 6 day version, so I have stopped at most of the possible stopping points!

There was an article on a Spanish news website today about increasing numbers and bed shortages on the Salvador. Though I would expect numbers to have dropped in October.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lots of fascinating info in that article (I see that our angel Ender is the primary contact for the Association, cited several times in the article).

SHOCKER — in 2010, total of 85 pilgrims.
This year, as of today, more than 2000.

Capacity of the albergues:
4 in Cabanillas
16 in La Robla
14 in Buiza
14 in Poladura
8 in Bendueños
30 Pola de Lena
16 in Mieres

It was certainly prescient of Ender to start the drumbeat on the Olvidado. It shares many of the Salvador’s characteristics, but has even more mountains, is longer, and is as of today, totally underutilized.

There was an article on a Spanish news website today about increasing numbers and bed shortages on the Salvador. Though I would expect numbers to have dropped in October.

Oooh, I walked the Salvador once in the fall and it was lovely. A bit cold, I remember the Farmacia said 4 degrees when we left León.

If you are staying in Poladura de la Tercia, and if you want a meal, you should definitely call ahead. The Casa Rural, Posada El Embrujo, will serve meals to guests and pilgrims so long as you call ahead. http://www.posadaelembrujo.es/. The place is under new management, and reports continue to be very positive. I have slept in the Embrujo and it was very comfy. The albergue might be cold in October.

The albergue in Pajares has heaters, and no need to call ahead.

Are you going to stay in Bendueños? If so, I would call ahead. That is a five star, fabulous albergue, and Sandra will cook for you as well.

I haven’t stayed in the albergue in Pola de Lenafor many years, but if I remember right, it is in a building that is closed on weekends, so you will need to get the key from the police.

What stages are you planning to walk? I have done a 4, 5, and 6 day version, so I have stopped at most of the possible stopping points!

Yes, I've read all your stuff! We plan to do the 6 day version, stopping at La Robla, Poladura, Pajares, Pola de Lena, and Mieres.
Lots of fascinating info in that article (I see that our angel Ender is the primary contact for the Association, cited several times in the article).

SHOCKER — in 2010, total of 85 pilgrims.
This year, as of today, more than 2000.

Capacity of the albergues:
4 in Cabanillas
16 in La Robla
14 in Buiza
14 in Poladura
8 in Bendueños
30 Pola de Lena
16 in Mieres

It was certainly prescient of Ender to start the drumbeat on the Olvidado. It shares many of the Salvador’s characteristics, but has even more mountains, is longer, and is as of today, totally underutilized.
This is very useful, thanks again. Really looking forward to it. If it's anything like the Primitivo and the Vadiniense, we should be in for a marvellous time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Earlier this year (late May) we walked the Salvador over 5 days: León – La Robla – Poladura – Pajares– Pola de Lena – Oviedo.

We called ahead to Poladura and Pajares to confirm there would be food available as there are several postings in Leon, La Robla, and Pajares suggesting peregrinos call ahead. We did not call to reserve beds- but in La Robla we were 7 (two going backwards), in Poladura 5, and in Pajares and Pola we were the only 2 in the albergues. I suspect that in early October there will be few pilgrims as well. A lovely route- lots of views, and no crowds! Enjoy!

Earlier this year (late May) we walked the Salvador over 5 days: León – La Robla – Poladura – Pajares– Pola de Lena – Oviedo.

We called ahead to Poladura and Pajares to confirm there would be food available as there are several postings in Leon, La Robla, and Pajares suggesting peregrinos call ahead. We did not call to reserve beds- but in La Robla we were 7 (two going backwards), in Poladura 5, and in Pajares and Pola we were the only 2 in the albergues. I suspect that in early October there will be few pilgrims as well. A lovely route- lots of views, and no crowds! Enjoy!
Yes, although we've never phoned ahead on any of the other caminos we've been on, I think we might on this one since there are so few beds and few alternatives. Of course, with the new guidebook things will become even worse...

Thanks so much for this thread. I have been wondering the same thing although I am not walking until late May next year. My Spanish is only quite basic so I will be nervous on the telephone. Do they have email? Or will they have some English too? I did 1000km through Italy last year with only basic Italian and got on fine, so I am not afraid of cranking up rudimentary Spanish! Thanks Everyone, Mel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks so much for this thread. I have been wondering the same thing although I am not walking until late May next year. My Spanish is only quite basic so I will be nervous on the telephone. Do they have email? Or will they have some English too? I did 1000km through Italy last year with only basic Italian and got on fine, so I am not afraid of cranking up rudimentary Spanish! Thanks Everyone, Mel
Yes, although we've never phoned ahead on any of the other caminos we've been on, I think we might on this one since there are so few beds and few alternatives. Of course, with the new guidebook things will become even worse...

Hi, Mel, and David,

If you are talking about calling to reserve in the albergues, I don't think that's going to be possible. Unless things have changed, nearly all of the albergues are municipal and do not take reservations -- Cabanillas, La Robla, Buiza, Poladura, Pajares, Pola de Lena, and Mieres. I am not sure about Sandra in Bendueños. I think that the calling ahead you see referred to in this and other threads refers to calling ahead to make sure the hospitalera knows you're coming (in off season) and calling ahead to reserve food. Sounds like things are getting almost unmanageable, that is sad. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Mel, and David,

If you are talking about calling to reserve in the albergues, I don't think that's going to be possible. Unless things have changed, nearly all of the albergues are municipal and do not take reservations -- Cabanillas, La Robla, Buiza, Poladura, Pajares, Pola de Lena, and Mieres. I am not sure about Sandra in Bendueños. I think that the calling ahead you see referred to in this and other threads refers to calling ahead to make sure the hospitalera knows you're coming (in off season) and calling ahead to reserve food. Sounds like things are getting almost unmanageable, that is sad. Buen camino, Laurie
Yes, I was wondering about that since it's not possible on other caminos. We'll just take foodstuff with us to see us through to the next stocking-up point. Thanks again.

Hi Mel. It is 2 years since i walked the Salvador. There was no problem finding a bed in la Robla, nor in Poladura de la tercia. We did need to phone Poladura, to ask for a meal to be prepared for us. On the third day, in Pajares, the hospitalera phoned ahead to Sandra in Benduenos to say we would be coming the following day. That is crucial, as there are only 8 beds, and Sandra cooks. She also collects you at the foot of the steep, steep tarmac road up to the albergue, if you ask. At least, she did for us! From there, Mieres has 16 beds I think, and if not, there are other options as it more or less a small city. Last day you reach Oviedo, with many options for beds... hope this is helpful, remembering it is 2 years ago...

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Out of season and when the weather is uncertain, especially if there is snow on the ground, suggest that it is very wise to inform ahead, principally to ensure that no person is unaccounted for.

The San Salvador is a beautiful walk and I wish you a positive experience as you pass over the hills between Leon and Ovideo

Hi Mel. It is 2 years since i walked the Salvador. There was no problem finding a bed in la Robla, nor in Poladura de la tercia. We did need to phone Poladura, to ask for a meal to be prepared for us. On the third day, in Pajares, the hospitalera phoned ahead to Sandra in Benduenos to say we would be coming the following day. That is crucial, as there are only 8 beds, and Sandra cooks. She also collects you at the foot of the steep, steep tarmac road up to the albergue, if you ask. At least, she did for us! From there, Mieres has 16 beds I think, and if not, there are other options as it more or less a small city. Last day you reach Oviedo, with many options for beds... hope this is helpful, remembering it is 2 years ago...
Thanks @kirkie. Much appreciated. I know the camino grapevine works well and I can get up-to-date info as I walk about what is open and available. Have a great day, Mel

I’m on the Salvador now at it is necessary to call ahead for dinner at Pajares as well. The bar did make some sandwiches for the next day for some of the pilgrims.

The albergue in Pola de Lena is open every day, just on weekends you can’t call the hospitalera till after 1430. Great place, WiFi, toiletries and a hair dryer! And there’s plenty of hot water on weekends :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everything that people promised about the San Salvador was true - hard but absolutely beautiful. It was certainly comparable in every way to the Primitivo. Thanks to Laurie for all her advice. To make everything really perfect, none of our camino family (10 in total) snored!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.