• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photo/video project supported by pilgrims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Vanicek

Time of past OR future Camino
July 11, 2015, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port >>> August 12, 2015, Camino de Santiago.

Looking forward to next opportunity!
Hey all!

Trying to think of creative ways to support my interests in photography and documentary filmmaking. Enjoyed walking the Camino last summer but don't think I capitalized enough on my skill with the heavy camera I toted along.

Had an idea (if it is original please don't steal it; if you know a similar project I'd like to hear about it!): take photos of Camino travelers (with their permission) and refer them to a site where these professional images of them and the sites they visited could be purchased? Website proceeds could support my travel along and videography of the Camino over an extended period of time.

Would fellow travelers be interested in my documentary intentions and in purchasing high-quality photos of themselves on the trail to support my cause? Is this type of industry acceptable on the Camino, from both legal and ethical standpoints? Don't want a money grub, but rather to negotiate a stable opportunity to document the Camino and those who travel along and care for it.

Thank you for any thoughts! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If that picture had taken and posted online without my consent, I would be very, very angry and send an email stating that and demanding the take-down of it. Buen Camino, SY

The above is what I wrote reading/voting in your survey, as for what you wrote in your commentary. Nearly every pilgrim carries a device that can take a pic, so you would need to do some serious publicity to show that your photos are better. Also the admin could be a nightmare if you try to match pilgrim, pic and email address.
I am generally not fond of having my picture taken (I hide behind the camera ;-) but others might be interested, especially if it is a location with some significance to them.

Certainly not! No creepy "spy" shots. Would make a point to introduce myself and explain what I'm doing, and to try to learn a bit about who you are and why you're on the trail. Thinking it would be a great excuse to interact with fellow pilgrims, one of the Camino's greatest rewards!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have thousands of my own pics and videos like most Pilgrims. Why would I 'buy' yours?

Professional photography is probably one of those areas that has been hit hard by technology. Everyone is now a photographer. It's a bit like asking if I need a letter typed :) Yes, I do remember the typing pools!

Of course areas of professional photography such as fashion, portraiture, architecture will always be there. But 'happy snaps' along the Camino? I'm not so sure...

I gave it a bit more thought:

What about contacting an albergue that you liked and that liked you? Then you could offer to help with the cleaning in the morning against (never knew a hospitaler@ that didn't like the idea of help cleaning the bathrooms!) getting a bed (would reduce your costs). When the pilgrims arrive you switch to photographer and offer your services. That would give the pilgrims at least some 'security' as you are 'known' by the hospitaler@s and yourself a stable place to stay.

Good luck, SY

I think there are places where some Pilgrims may be interested in having a very high quality photo of themselves taken (especially if in a group/family trip) but I think they need to be defining locations and done at the right time of day to have a special light. That said, I think it would be a pretty tough way to support a photography passion... Good luck, however!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back