• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photographing along the WAY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To anyone who travels/traveled with a DSLR camera.
if you only had a choice of 2 lenses, what would they be?

Beachcomber

I have done a camino with a big DSLR .and carried a good solid Manfrotto MK055XPRO3 tripod with a 3 way head

I took a wide lense

and a long lense with Macro.

I don't bother with jpeg prefer RAW...

I stayed in hotels or a private casa..to leave my camera & equipment when out in the evening..

your find a lot of DSLR carrying pilgrims just using auto settings , wonder why they don't just bother with a compact.

To anyone who travels/traveled with a DSLR camera.
if you only had a choice of 2 lenses, what would they be?
If I chose to carry, I would carry a wide angle for the spectacular views and a good old 50-what have you. The wide angle is what I miss with the iphone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You don't mention whether you're taking a full-frame or APS-C body, which makes a difference in lens choices and gear weight, or whether you're looking to produce a pro-level gallery of Camino photos or simply a better travelogue of your trip than you could achieve with a smart phone or compact camera. Either way, I'd suggest one of the do-all travel zooms plus a fast 50mm (full-frame) or 35mm (APS-C) prime for interiors. As you know, some of the third-party travel zooms have "macro" or close-focus feature, which can also be beneficial.

You don't mention whether you're taking a full-frame or APS-C body, which makes a difference in lens choices and gear weight, or whether you're looking to produce a pro-level gallery of Camino photos or simply a better travelogue of your trip than you could achieve with a smart phone or compact camera. Either way, I'd suggest one of the do-all travel zooms plus a fast 50mm (full-frame) or 35mm (APS-C) prime for interiors. As you know, some of the third-party travel zooms have "macro" or close-focus feature, which can also be beneficial.

I have a high end APS-C
I will be taking my 10-20mm superwideangle,and so far my goto lens, a 17-70 f2.8-4+macro
the 18-250 I was looking at is rated good for a everything lens but at the expense of quality, so thats a no go.

I was forgoing my tripod for weight reasons, but I am reconsidering that too. maybe I should bear the extra weight for the image stability. long duration natural light night shots
so the question is, should I take a third lens for zoom?will I need it? I have a 70-300 that is a fair quality lens.

I have a high end APS-C
I will be taking my 10-20mm superwideangle,and so far my goto lens, a 17-70 f2.8-4+macro
the 18-250 I was looking at is rated good for a everything lens but at the expense of quality, so thats a no go.

I was forgoing my tripod for weight reasons, but I am reconsidering that too. maybe I should bear the extra weight for the image stability. long duration natural light night shots
so the question is, should I take a third lens for zoom?will I need it? I have a 70-300 that is a fair quality lens.
Sounds like you've got the bases pretty well covered, although personally, if I were taking a DSLR, I'd try to limit myself to just two lenses. The 17-70 will probably handle low-light situations if it can do f2.8 at the 17mm end, and if your camera can handle upping the ISO to compensate for not having an f1.4 or 1.8 prime. You could (with a little more work back on the computer) just use the 17-70 and shoot panoramas rather than bother with the 10-20 superwide. The 70-300mm is a hard choice -- I question whether you'll need the 300mm end very much, but there will be many situations where you'll want more than 70mm.

I am a semi-serious hobbyist photographer and own a couple of Nikon APS-C cameras, but when I did the CF a couple of years ago I just took Canon SX150IS, which had a 10x zoom and PSAM controls (but no raw). Overall I was pretty pleased with the results, mainly because I knew the photos would probably never appear anywhere but on a computer screen. I try to travel light, and am willing to accept the compromises that entails. I spent three weeks in Ireland with just a Canon G1X, and that high-end, large-sensor compact produced some amazing photos. I would probably take that along for another Camino, in spite of its lack of zoom range. However, if I were doing the Camino again and was intending to make photography a more serious part of that journey, I'd probably take my D5000 (because of its size and weight compared to my D7200) with an 18-140 as my everyday goto lens, plus a 35mm f1.8 for low-light interiors. I would not take a tripod, but I probably would take a large Gorillapod instead and clamp that on the back of a church pew, park bench, or handrail for stability. Or, as an alternative, I'd use the trip as an excuse to buy one of the DSLR-like mirrorless 4/3 Olympus, Panasonic, or Fuji bodies with lenses in that same range.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I shoot on the m4/3 format. I took the full frame equivalent of a, 28/2.5, 40/1.7, and 90/1.8. It's a compact system that affords me the luxury of shooting with fast primes. My favorite lens in my quiver is the ff equivalent 150/1.8, but chose not to take it due to weight and the possibility of loosing it.

For me, the combination of weight, size, lens quality, and stellar raw files makes this system a no brainer.

Also brought a Gorilla pod and never used it, not even once.

Hi
I just finished CF with a 100 CAD auto camera and my iPhone images. I got disappointed at my options more than a few times. If again I'd take my Canon EOS and one Kenzie the Sugma 28-250. It's only a bit heavier than my stock Canon 70-200 that came with it.
Ant it adds a chunk of weight.

If I were to bring my D800 I would pair it with the Nikon 18-35 f3.5 and Nikon 85 f1.8. Each lens is very capable, small and 13oz each. The Nikkor 24-120 f4 would also be a good choice which is larger and weighs 24oz but would not require lens changes. I just prefer to shoot wider than 24mm pretty often and 85-120mm is not a range I use much. I opted instead for a Sony RX100 III which has a viewfinder, shoots raw, and has a 24-70mm (equivalent) f1.8-f2.8.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
I am walking the Camino Frances next year and plan to take my Canon 600D with two lenses, 18-55 and 75-300.
Hope this helps

. I opted instead for a Sony RX100 III which has a viewfinder said:
Hello; I did a ton of research and purchased this camera for my first Camino, took it on #2 as well. Great camera, very rugged, small, but takes great pictures with more settings and options than my slightly old DSLR. I take it everywhere.

Last edited:
I've been curious about what camera's people bring. I had planned to take my Canon Rebel DSL but it is five years old and heavy. Thankfully i've never had enough cash on me to buy any extra lenses to worry about. I'm now debating on buying a newer smaller camera like a Canon PowerShot that still take great photos but is smaller and lighter in weight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I brought a Sony RX100 III which has a view finder, shoots raw, and has a 24-70mm (equivalent) f1.8-2.8 Leica lens and can go full manual or anywhere in between. It is my go-to camera when I can't bring my DSLR.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

Oh wow! I would LOVE to take my camera, but I know I need to keep the weight down. If I were to take my Canon 60D, I'd take my 17-55 f/2.8 lens and my 30 mm f/1.4. I am looking to find a smaller camera with more control, but trying not to spend too much as I love my DSLR. I normally shoot raw, but I am not certain I need it on a small high end compact.

Oh wow! I would LOVE to take my camera, but I know I need to keep the weight down. If I were to take my Canon 60D, I'd take my 17-55 f/2.8 lens and my 30 mm f/1.4. I am looking to find a smaller camera with more control, but trying not to spend too much as I love my DSLR. I normally shoot raw, but I am not certain I need it on a small high end compact.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I am bringing a 17-70 F2.8 TO 4 and a 10-20 super wide angle landscape lens I feel these should work for what I want. except maybe the storks in the church steeples. I would love to hook up with another canon photographer to help watch each others equipment when necessary and perhaps even share back and forth
enabling us to have more lenses to choose from and split the weight.
I shoot raw because of the advantages in image quality and editing.. my goal is to publish a coffee table book of my camino images.

I took my DSLR once on a camino (Pau to Puente la Reina) and never before have I taken so few images. Walking and semi-pro equipment just don't work well for me together. Now I take my Canon G15 and be happy photographer again ;-) Image quality is also excellent btw and it has a lot of manual controls. Buen Camino, SY

I took my DSLR once on a camino (Pau to Puente la Reina) and never before have I taken so few images. Walking and semi-pro equipment just don't work well for me together. Now I take my Canon G15 and be happy photographer again ;-) Image quality is also excellent btw and it has a lot of manual controls. Buen Camino, SY

i HAVE YOUR BOOK !! Kindel edition.
I am thrilled that you have responded to my thread. thank you.
I have so many questions I would like to ask. with out becoming a bother.
but for now, thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... I have so many questions I would like to ask. with out becoming a bother. but for now, thank you.

Your are welcome ;-) Actually you might be better off to ask in the forum here, as you will then get more then just my opinion (wish can be wrong, as opinions can be), but in case you don't want to ask something publicly, feel free to send me a PM via this forum and I'll do my best to help. Been Camino, SY

I am bringing a 17-70 F2.8 TO 4 and a 10-20 super wide angle landscape lens I feel these should work for what I want. except maybe the storks in the church steeples. I would love to hook up with another canon photographer to help watch each others equipment when necessary and perhaps even share back and forth
enabling us to have more lenses to choose from and split the weight.
I shoot raw because of the advantages in image quality and editing.. my goal is to publish a coffee table book of my camino images.

I think the only way I'd take my camera is if I wasn't travelling with anyone else! Meaning if I had someone else to carry my clothing and everything in their bag, then I'd take my DSLR! I'm much too wimpy for that. LOL

I'll be bringing my Fuji X100T. I got that camera after I decided I was sick of carrying my Nikon D7100 around when I travel. Only disadvantage is that it is a fixed focal length lens, but that rarely bothers me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be bringing my Fuji X100T. I got that camera after I decided I was sick of carrying my Nikon D7100 around when I travel. Only disadvantage is that it is a fixed focal length lens, but that rarely bothers me.

This is actually the camera that I had been looking into, but sadly, it is still a little too high for what I would like to spend. So instead, I've been looking at the Sony rx100. I still think I'd love the Fuji more, but the Sony will work.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
With my full frame the two I'd bring along are a 24-70mm f.2.8 and 70-200mm f.2.8 IS because that's what I own (in the dream world I'd bring along a Tilt shift 17mm and make architecture photography worth while. I have a 16-35mm but get tired of looking at the building lines all converging.) With the 70-200mm I get great portraits in all lighting and candid shots and done properly, landscapes with a long zoom can be very captivating. For the big scenes I shoot upright panos with the 24-70mm and stitch at home.

With my Full-Frame camera I'd have brought my 24-70 2.8L and a cheap little 50mm 1.8.

The 24-70 would have lived on my camera nad the 50mm 1.8 would have been pulled out if the low-light 1.8 aperture was needed. Luckily the high ISO capabilities of the Canon 6D/5Dmkiii are quite sufficient for me.

If I returned, that would be my combination. However, my little mirrorless Can EOSM and 22mm pancake was a tremendous little travel setup.

Wow, tough question. My last trek in Nepal I took the DSLR and just one lens, my Sigma 18-250. I wanted the DSLR and the long lens to shoot people but didn't want to be changing lenses out there.

On the Caminos, I use a quality pocket travel zoom. For my wildlife calendars, none of those lenses would be good enough, but I get good enough pictures for my travel photos without hauling all that. What are your photographic goals?

I shoot in three modes, the phone, the travel zoom pocket camera, and the full on DSLR with various lenses. The results are distributed accordingly----some good snapshots from the phone, some professional quality stuff from the DSLR. I won't say there is no overlap----Sometimes I shoot something great with the phone, often I shoot garbage with the big camera, but I pick the cameras according to what I hope for and how much effort I'm willing to put into it.

Here's three photos... the dog could be shot with any phone, the compressed field of the biker was possible with the pocket travel zoom, and the eagle, shot from my living room, required a professional quality 400 mm lens. I carry the camera which suits my photographic goals.

geo1-jpg.7516
xmas1-jpg.7517
eagle-jpg.7515

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All i have is my Nikon coolpix L810 I hope I get to capture some amazing pictures! The eagle one ia beautiful

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.