• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photographing the Camino

maxsearl

Time of past OR future Camino
Northern Way (2019)
Hi All,

My name is Max, and for my final major project at University, I am looking to photograph the Camino. I'll be heading out to Spain on the 12th February 2019, returning on the 24th February.

My aim for the project is to explore the route, (at the time of writing I am undecided whether to travel the French Way or the Northern Way) photographing the walkers, towns and villages the route passes through, as well as the locals, hostels and of course the Churches and Priests. I'll be in Spain for 12 days, driving the route which will allow me to cover greater distance and photograph more remote spots in a shorter time frame.

Firstly, I'm looking for anyone that would be walking the route between the dates above. It would be amazing to get your account of the way, whether it be your first of tenth time on the walk. If anyone is in Spain at that time please don't hesitate to contact me or reply to this thread. It would be amazing to plan to meet in advance, and would be great to have some contacts for when I'm out there.

Secondly, I am also looking to suggestions of places to photography, points of interest that would be important to the Camino, or places that you thought were particularly special or beautiful. Towns, villages, people, hostels, Churches, suggestions on places that you liked would be extremely helpful.

Thank you for reading, and any replies or suggestions of routes or places would be much appreciated. Moreover, please don't hesitate to contact me, via this thread, or my email maxsearlphoto@gmail.com.

Kind Regards,

Max Searl

www.maxsearl.com
maxsearlphoto@gmail.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You have a good photographic eye. I like the style of your portrait work especially. There are so many ancient buildings that would make excellent backdrops for your portrait work, it’s hard to pick out any particulars. The most interesting might well be the least notable. At the time of year your will be there I suggest you’d better choose the Camino Frances. Traffic will be way down in February, so your best odds of meeting a decent number of people will be in the Frances. On this website there is a resource listing all the albergues on the Camino Frances along with when they are open. This would be helpful in planning where to stop. If you’d like to see what types of imagery you might see, albeit in winter rather than fall, you can check out my images from my 2015 Camino Frances. They are at this link: www.tomnorthenscold.com/camino.

Good and interesting project.
I can´t talk about the Norte, but I can tell you that the Frances is "over photographed". It is difficult to find a place and angle that has not been "over exposed" by thousands of persons. There is always, obviously, the original take...
Oh, I would ask for permission before taking photographs of priests or attendants during Masses. And in general, of recognizable persons. I know that is not your perspective, but besides privacy issues, sometimes we pilgrims are annoyed to be treated as "tourism attractives". I have even been asked to pose for a photo by a group of teenagers...I decided it was funny, but not everybody would take it lightly.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your kind words. I'll have a look through the website to find the albergues that are open at that time. I also had a look through your website, some of the scenery is beautiful, were these on the Camino Frances?

Cheers

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your kind words. I'll have a look through the website to find the albergues that are open at that time. I also had a look through your website, some of the scenery is beautiful, were these on the Camino Frances?

Cheers
Yes, they were made on the Camino Frances. The funny thing about the Camino is that it’s really not about the scenery, it’s the people. That’s why I wouldn’t worry about it having been over photographed. Any photographer with an inquisitive and open mind will be able to find new and compelling imagery.

Hi Max very good luck with this project. No mater how you do it I imagine you will do it very well. Personally I feel cover less distance but do on foot, you will build a better bond with pilgrims that way it is after all a pilgrim route and therefore is essentially a route that has to walked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great project, Max!

According to my plan I'll be on the last stretch of the camino at that time. My ETA in Santiago is around the Feb 16 you and after that I'll go to Finisterre or A Coruna, or somewhere else.

Great project, Max!

According to my plan I'll be on the last stretch of the camino at that time. My ETA in Santiago is around the Feb 16 you and after that I'll go to Finisterre or A Coruna, or somewhere else.

Hi Samarkand,

Best of luck with your travels. I'm looking to get to Santiago towards the end of my trip, closer to the 21st/22nd. Ill keep an eye on this thread as I travel, if our paths cross it would be great to chat and to get to know your whys and hows.

Best,

Max

Hi Max very good luck with this project. No mater how you do it I imagine you will do it very well. Personally I feel cover less distance but do on foot, you will build a better bond with pilgrims that way it is after all a pilgrim route and therefore is essentially a route that has to walked.

Thanks for your kind words. Im hoping for this body of work to be longer term, post university so your suggestion is much appreciated. I see you've walked the Frances, is there a particular section or parts that you'd recommend? Any sections that are likely to be more populated in February or parts with particularly spectacular scenery or vistas?

Best,

Max

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello sorry for not getting back sooner. I walked from Astorga to Saintiago in February and found snow. I liked around Foncebadon and near Cruz de Ferro which I think that area is worth photographing. Good luck. Regards Dermot

Hi Max,

As @tomnorth suggests the Frances is probably your best bet for finding infrastructure open and people walking in February, numbers of Compostelas are about 95% lower in February than peak months.

Have you got a theme in mind for your project or will that be decided upon arrival? Given the ubiquity of pictures of summer caminos it's great that you'll be capturing a time of year many people don't see.

I have a certain fascination with all the relative ghost towns along the Camino Frances that illustrate the relatively recent exodus of people from the country to the city in Spain, but it's certainly not something that would appeal to everyone.

I'm also interested in the variety of hĂłrreos you find across Galicia. But I think it might be best for you to go there and get an idea of what you'd like to concentrate on and then with a bit more focus we can offer suggestions on where you might find what you're looking for.

Good luck with the project and be sure to show us the results.

Rob.

Hi Max,

I've done the Camino Francés 5x and as an artist, I find that there's material and inspiring moments each and every time. I myself approach art through research and on the Francés I am interested in the less traveled path; alternate routes like Dragonte, Pradela, rio ucieza routes, etc. but also sections of the old roman road that have been well maintained or restored-- Outside of Puente, Castrojeriz, walking through via Trajana, etc. Ruins (which many pass on the opportunity or simply just don't know they are so close by); castro varea outside Logroño, the castle ruins at Belorado, Estella, castro muza, castro at castromaior, la tejada (although a bit off the path). There's a lot to work with. To each her/his own. Other times, I'm just satisfied with documenting the modern path-- nothing wrong with it even as populated as it is.

As Felipe mentions above, be aware of Spanish privacy/photography laws. Generally, you need permission to take photograph of people in public spaces (if they are recognizable), but this is certainly true when there are children in the picture-- although from your work that may or may not be relevant. Just helpful to be aware.

Good luck with your project and perhaps see you on the Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Wondering what public transit is available from Porto to Caminha.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.