• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photography equipment?..

Turandot

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone,
I am planning to have my first Camino walk (CF from Sarria). My friend, with whom I was going to do it, got a foot surgery, so I will be a solo female traveler, in my 50s.
The thing is, I am a professional photographer and I am eager to take the good images while walking. However, I am concern about the safety at this point: would it be wise to go with a pro camera (nothing too over-fancy, though) and, occasionally, a tripod?...

Would greatly appreciate your suggestions!
TYIA

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wouldn't worry about safety issues with carrying a professional camera either. It is all about how important is that camera to you vs the extra unnecessary weight you will be carrying. When I travel I do want a good camera (not professional - but still good compared to phone cameras). I carried my good camera last year. Sure - it took good pictures. But I couldn't just send them to the friends I just met who wanted a copy. I couldn't upload them to facebook or other sharing site. And even though it was small - it was too heavy. And it was just one more thing to keep track of and keep charged. This year I decided to upgrade my phone instead. My current phone has a very nice camera and it is multipurpose as I can use it as a camera, a phone, a guidebook, an app, a gps, etc.

Anyhow - totally up to you. How important is it for you to have professional quality pictures? And is your phone or other smaller camera so much inferior that you will hate the pictures?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola @Turandot I can understand your predicament . On my first two caminos I took both a camera (nothing professional) and my mobile phone (which has a camera). For the third camino - I only took the mobile phone and the photos achieved the results I wanted. So maybe you have to decide are you on a walking pilgrimage or a on a tourist photography holiday. Personal security of your property is a big issue for many pilgrims. When I can I stay in alberques that have lockers (bringing my own lock). Best wishes.

The thing is, I am a professional photographer and I am eager to take the good images while walking. However, I am concern about the safety at this point: would it be wise to go with a pro camera (nothing too over-fancy, though) and, occasionally, a tripod?...
I say yes to a pro camera! But perhaps something smaller profile with a good zoom? Wonderful to have for architectural details and birds! If you do need a tripod - again, something that is light weight and folds up small! Good images are important to me too but weight is even more important when it comes to the walking enjoyment of my day. The smaller camera will also help with security. Always keep it with you / in sight when charging, and you'll be fine.

I'm with @Theatregal. A decent zoom and manual capability, along with the better optics of a camera are quite useful. Perhaps there is a bridge or even compact camera that would suit you that has decent optics that'd be lighter than a regular DSLR?

For years I had a fully manual (but compact) Canon PowerShot that I loved. It's no longer made but I see others are. (I just replaced it with a Lumix, but have not yet received it, so no feedback...it was hard to make a decision)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello everyone,
I am planning to have my first Camino walk (CF from Sarria). My friend, with whom I was going to do it, got a foot surgery, so I will be a solo female traveler, in my 50s.

TYIA

Whilst not a 'professional' photographer I do take lots of photos along the way, but more important for me, is taking video. I add these to my daily blog as a bit of a video diary to look back on in years to come.

So far, I have just used a phone camera. Samsung phones have amazing quality cameras, but of course due to sensor size, lack many of the features of a DSLR or Mirrorless camera. Both of which I use at home.

So I'm constantly weighing up, quite literally, the benefits of a phone camera v a 'real' camera.

I might...........just might........for the sake of higher quality video take a small camera like a Sony RX100 next time. Though that also means another charger.... The only real benefits a see are:

1. Better low light performance, though a new phone would be close to it.
  2. Better zoom capability, though the new Samsung phone will be close to it.
  3. Larger sensor size! Allowing better quality images and the ability to crop if required.
And then..........I look back at the video I shot on my first Camino in 2015, with my old Samsung note 3......and it's passable, just, even now. So I'm leaning to upgrading my Samsung 8, which I love as a camera, to a 22.

Regarding a tripod, I too thought about that a few times. But I make do.

I carry a tiny gorilla pod, that means I can fix my phone camera to fence posts, trees etc. There is usually something.

I also carry a loop of 1 inch wide elastic. This holds my phone onto a trekking pole, that can be stuck into soft ground as a self supporting monopod.

Then finally a have my washing line cord, and one tiny tent peg. Using both trekking poles, this can be fashioned into a tripod, with the camera atop the whole thing on it's tiny Gorilla pod or using the elastic.

The next modification will be to add a tiny ball mount to one of my trekking poles. Quite easily done.

So there is no way I feel the need for a tripod and the extra weight.

I'd suggest there are two things to consider other than camera 'quality'.

Weight. Camera, charger, tripod etc. This is not extra weight I would want to carry. It would add at least another kg or more. You are younger and probably fitter/stronger than me though....

Ease of Use. Unless the camera is around my neck, with all weather protection, it's not going to get used as much as my phone camera. There is that old saying "The best camera is the one you have with you at the time"

I had an online chat a few years ago with Fr Johannes, who shot "To where God Dwells". Something like a 5,000 MILE Pilgrimage? He remarked that as his camera was in the backpack, he didn't use it as much as he would have liked. And was considering something like a Sony RX100.

Though he seems to have gone the other way now, with multiple cameras and a drone :)

Just some thoughts.

Only you know what will work best for you of course........

I walked in 2015 with my Nikon D800 and one lens…the 35mm f/1.8G prime lens. I’m happy I did. It can be done. View attachment 130435
I like your choice of lens! 35mm is lovely and very often is exactly what I need to shoot those beautiful arches in cathedrals… very fast lens too for low light…

My 2 cents, apologies if as a pro, you already know/have some of these equipments!

- use a backpack clip (I like the kind you clip to the strap) so you can easily grab your camera without it dangling over the neck

- gorilla pod is a good alternative to a tripod and useful for selfie/Timelapse video etc but have to be careful with the weight of camera+lens. And often I get annoyed with the lack of suitable places to use the gorilla pod.

- I do have a very lightweight manfretto tripod which fits in the side pocket of my rucksack and feels like I was just carrying a bottle of water. But if you’re planning to carry it on the Camino, then think of how often you would use it! Full moon over church spires? Sunset in Finisterre?

- if you do decide to bring your camera gear then perhaps consider luggage transport for your clothes etc? So you’re just carrying your camera gear and water plus spare clothes? I saw a pilgrim who on his first day from Sarria had a big backpack on his back and camera backpack in front 😱 he looked a little miserable although he was having a lot of fun taking pictures! The next day the big backpack was gone, and he was much happier. But he was using his mobile phone and selfie stick the whole time!

- I carried my dslr and tripod on trips in Iceland (for the aurora) and Inca trail (lots of astrophotography) but in both I had help with my other luggage. So on the Camino I decided to go with mobile phone (kept in waist pocket), GoPro which is attached to a little stick which can be converted into tripod.

- I follow a YouTuber who did Camino Frances carrying a dslr AND a drone. Here’s her packing list with weight.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you’re comfortable and can reach your camera easily and enjoy the trip!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Turandot If you haven't watched Mark Shea's Camino Video, you might enjoy it.
He walked the Camino Frances in 2004 with about 10 kg of camera gear I think!
Took him ages to get to Roncesvalles on the first day.

He's a professional travel photographer/videographer.

This video was one that inspired me to first walk the Camino.

I'd not worry about the weight as you are walking the last 100k and it's very busy.
Insurance ( as a professional ) you should already have.

Seen some wonderful videos of the camino made with normal gear / equipment. A video by David Wen ( link here somewhere) was very impressive, though from memory he had worked in Hollywood :)

I'd not worry about the weight as you are walking the last 100k and it's very busy.
Insurance ( as a professional ) you should already have.

Seen some wonderful videos of the camino made with normal gear / equipment. A video by David Wen ( link here somewhere) was very impressive, though from memory he had worked in Hollywood :)

Good point, I missed that. A bit of extra weight for a few days won't be too bad.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Let me address this a little differently from the other excellent posts on this thread. Regarding safety, and I’m interpreting this as safety or security of your equipment, I do think you will have to be very vigilant regarding keeping track of expensive equipment or valuables on the Camino particularly in the albergues. As a guiding principle for myself, and I took my full 35mm camera with me on my first CF, I never leave anything valuable unattended even when I hit the showers! As a rule of thumb, my important documents, money, and electronics were always on my person or with me. I have no idea how often it happens, but pilgrims do have items stolen in albergues. Not everyone who looks like a pilgrim is a pilgrim. A good Camino friend of mine had his camera stolen off his bed in an albergue in SdC on his last day. Yes, he was at fault for leaving it on his bed as he went to shower. Nonetheless, in a matter of just a few minutes, his photographic record of his Camino was gone. I would just offer the warning about being very vigilant regarding any possession of value. You cannot assume that it is safe just because you’re surrounded by others walking the same path.

I like your choice of lens! 35mm is lovely and very often is exactly what I need to shoot those beautiful arches in cathedrals… very fast lens too for low light…

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you’re comfortable and can reach your camera easily and enjoy the trip!
Thanks a lot, guys!
Much appreciated!
I will have my luggage transferred, so I would carry only some daily necessities - and a photo equipment. I will visit other countries and cities before and after Camino, so the camera and a very light manfrotto tripod will be with me anyway. I just wanted to make sure it is safe to walk with them in the woods))
Yes, I have a phone with a very good camera, but it cannot provide the same quality, alas, especially when I composite images.
Thanks again - cannot wait to be on Camino!

Let me address this a little differently from the other excellent posts on this thread. Regarding safety, and I’m interpreting this as safety or security of your equipment, I do think you will have to be very vigilant regarding keeping track of expensive equipment or valuables on the Camino particularly in the albergues. As a guiding principle for myself, and I took my full 35mm camera with me on my first CF, I never leave anything valuable unattended even when I hit the showers! As a rule of thumb, my important documents, money, and electronics were always on my person or with me. I have no idea how often it happens, but pilgrims do have items stolen in albergues. Not everyone who looks like a pilgrim is a pilgrim. A good Camino friend of mine had his camera stolen off his bed in an albergue in SdC on his last day. Yes, he was at fault for leaving it on his bed as he went to shower. Nonetheless, in a matter of just a few minutes, his photographic record of his Camino was gone. I would just offer the warning about being very vigilant regarding any possession of value. You cannot assume that it is safe just because you’re surrounded by others walking the same path.
Thank you!
I will be staying in the separate rooms, kinda done with camping and dorms at this point))

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone,

TYIA
It may depend on whether you want to walk and enjoy your Camino or photograph The Way. Personally, I would let go of the gear, use a smart phone and relax and enjoy the experience of your Camino which I don't think you can do through a lens.

I have a phone with a very good camera, but it cannot provide the same quality, alas, especially when I composite images.
Agree!

Will you be posting your pictures on any social media etc? Would love to see! And maybe I’ll be braver next time and bring mine 😱 or not 😱

As a non-professional, I am not one to give photographic advice, but here are my 2 cents anyway.
Ask for what purpose you want to take pics and vids in the first place; if you intend to spread your material over YouTube, FB etc, the quality loss you'll have because of compression is far more critical than your gain with pro equipment; more so, if your intended audience will watch mainly on phones, as it is mostly the case.
Furthermore and in hindsight, the scenes appreciated mainly by others are results of spontaneity and moments, when you often do not have your gear ready; quality is rarely an issue here. (Here is an example of my last year's vid, which btw has lost terribly by compression and is sooo much better in the original,
)

Real pros in general, I have learned, prefer to compose their material in post-production rather than using Zoom, which again would call for pro cameras, lenses, and tripods.
As for low-light moments, frankly, they rarely occurred on my walks.
Weighing in the above including security, I finally ceased to schlepping expensive and heavy gear and using my iPhone exclusively on my Caminos. Instead, I am rather trying to adapt my photographic techniques to the given limitations, or rather, to its advantages, which are convenience and the speed,
at which I can record a moment. I even stopped to take along my OSMO gimbal, which, for video improves much more than the camera itself IMO; again, weight, convenience..
In the end, the OP will take the final decision, and whatever it will be, stop looking back and make the best with what you have decided on.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone,

TYIA
Hi, I've just finished the GR65 in France and took my Fujifilm X100v. Pretty ideal, it's light, had all the pro quality you'd expect, it's only a fixed focal but that didn't worry me at all, there's an app that should upload JPG files directly from the camera to your phone via the app. It only worked occasionally for me but others have better luck with it. If you prefer to shoot raw files you'd need to set the camera to record both raw and JPG to use the app. If you're not familiar with the camera I'd suggest having a look at some reviews, it's highly recommended as a lightweight travel camera.

As others have suggested lugging a big camera around could be a problem. I have used an Olympus T-1 on both of my Camino's and been very happy with the results. It is a small camera that fits in my pocket, is water proof and very durable. It's old, the latest version is a T-6 but I am very happy with my old one. It's not great for video but I have taken some of the best photos of my life with it. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 0'P9081103 (2).JPG
    0'P9081103 (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
I know a professional photographer who walked the Camino with a homemade camera obscura. He didn't have any problems with weight or safety, at most with rain, since he built the camera in a shoe box.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As a non-professional, I am not one to give photographic advice, but here are my 2 cents anyway.
Ask for what purpose you want to take pics and vids in the first place; if you intend to spread your material over YouTube, FB etc, the quality loss you'll have because of compression is far more critical than your gain with pro equipment; more so, if your intended audience will watch mainly on phones, as it is mostly the case.
Furthermore and in hindsight, the scenes appreciated mainly by others are results of spontaneity and moments, when you often do not have your gear ready; quality is rarely an issue here. (Here is an example of my last year's vid, which btw has lost terribly by compression and is sooo much better in the original,
)

Real pros in general, I have learned, prefer to compose their material in post-production rather than using Zoom, which again would call for pro cameras, lenses, and tripods.
As for low-light moments, frankly, they rarely occurred on my walks.
Weighing in the above including security, I finally ceased to schlepping expensive and heavy gear and using my iPhone exclusively on my Caminos. Instead, I am rather trying to adapt my photographic techniques to the given limitations, or rather, to its advantages, which are convenience and the speed,
at which I can record a moment. I even stopped to take along my OSMO gimbal, which, for video improves much more than the camera itself IMO; again, weight, convenience..
In the end, the OP will take the final decision, and whatever it will be, stop looking back and make the best with what you have decided on.

Buen Camino
thank you, Pepi!
as to your thoughts: and yes and no... I try to travel extensively and i take tons of pictures (post-production could take couple month after the trip))). Yes, i have a lot of images from my phone camera, and even if i can work wonders on then later in photoshop, the quiality is passable to me. I need high-quality images in order to print and sell, they are not intended only for social media.
And as I have mentioned earlier, Camino is only a part of my trip, so I will carry camera and tripod with me no matter what, and while it is the case, would like to use them occasionally for a really good shot. For just documenting the Camino - the phone camera will do, of course.
Thank you again!

Hello everyone,

TYIA
GoPro cameras are fantastic fits in your front pocket. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I only used my iPhone on my first camino and this year I brought my little Sony with an 18-135 zoom, a little Oben tripod (550 grams) and a bluetooth remote. This gave me the flexibility and creative freedom I'm used to but less weight than my full-frame gear. It's the gear I take whenever I'm hiking now. Safety was a concern for me as I lost a camera last year so I always kept my camera with me or locked up. I'm currently working on a project to attach Apple Airtags to cameras so you can track your camera if it goes missing.
it was extra weight but I never felt I was missing a photo opportunity.

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpeg
    IMG_0382.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 16
thank you, Pepi!
as to your thoughts: and yes and no... I try to travel extensively and i take tons of pictures (post-production could take couple month after the trip))). Yes, i have a lot of images from my phone camera, and even if i can work wonders on then later in photoshop, the quiality is passable to me. I need high-quality images in order to print and sell, they are not intended only for social media.
And as I have mentioned earlier, Camino is only a part of my trip, so I will carry camera and tripod with me no matter what, and while it is the case, would like to use them occasionally for a really good shot. For just documenting the Camino - the phone camera will do, of course.
Thank you again!

@Turandot: I absolutely concede to your reasoning and the conditions specific to you; for prints, you need the quality of pro gear. All others may as well trust a good mobile phone... :)
Enjoy your Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in 2015 with my Nikon D800 and one lens…the 35mm f/1.8G prime lens. I’m happy I did. It can be done. View attachment 130435
Yes and people like you can send people like me photos because outside of taking photos of friends I have learned that I can't take a decent photo to save my life and 99% of the time even in those rare moments I take a decent photo it ends up looking like lots of other camino photos I took and I can't remember where the photo was taken anyway. So we are blessed with people like you who take great photos to give to people like me. Haven't I seen you somewhere before in one of my photos????

Whilst not a 'professional' photographer I do take lots of photos along the way, but more important for me, is taking video. I add these to my daily blog as a bit of a video diary to look back on in years to come.

So far, I have just used a phone camera. Samsung phones have amazing quality cameras, but of course due to sensor size, lack many of the features of a DSLR or Mirrorless camera. Both of which I use at home.

So I'm constantly weighing up, quite literally, the benefits of a phone camera v a 'real' camera.

I might...........just might........for the sake of higher quality video take a small camera like a Sony RX100 next time. Though that also means another charger.... The only real benefits a see are:

3. Larger sensor size! Allowing better quality images and the ability to crop if required.
And then..........I look back at the video I shot on my first Camino in 2015, with my old Samsung note 3......and it's passable, just, even now. So I'm leaning to upgrading my Samsung 8, which I love as a camera, to a 22.

I carry a tiny gorilla pod, that means I can fix my phone camera to fence posts, trees etc. There is usually something.

I also carry a loop of 1 inch wide elastic. This holds my phone onto a trekking pole, that can be stuck into soft ground as a self supporting monopod.

Then finally a have my washing line cord, and one tiny tent peg. Using both trekking poles, this can be fashioned into a tripod, with the camera atop the whole thing on it's tiny Gorilla pod or using the elastic.

The next modification will be to add a tiny ball mount to one of my trekking poles. Quite easily done.

Weight. Camera, charger, tripod etc. This is not extra weight I would want to carry. It would add at least another kg or more. You are younger and probably fitter/stronger than me though....

Ease of Use. Unless the camera is around my neck, with all weather protection, it's not going to get used as much as my phone camera. There is that old saying "The best camera is the one you have with you at the time"

I had an online chat a few years ago with Fr Johannes, who shot "To where God Dwells". Something like a 5,000 MILE Pilgrimage? He remarked that as his camera was in the backpack, he didn't use it as much as he would have liked. And was considering something like a Sony RX100.

Though he seems to have gone the other way now, with multiple cameras and a drone :)

Just some thoughts.

Very helpful! Can you by any chance send a photo of what your monopod looks like with the elastic band ( is that like what we calls rubber band in the US?), and the two poles with the clothes line? I’m having trouble picturing them. Thanks.

Fish or cut bait!

First decide if the propose of your trip is a pilgrimage or a professional business opportunity. As you have discovered, it is difficult to do both at the same time.

-Paul

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,

TYIA
In 2008, I carried a Nikon with an 28-200mm lens carried in a bag attached to my backpack around my waist. At night I slept with it
Hello everyone,

TYIA
in 2008 I carried a Nikon and 18-200mm lens. I carried it a camera bag attached to my backpack around my waist. At night I slept with it in my sleeping bag!
Yes it is extra weight but in my opinion worth it for the hundreds of memories I now have at home. I did the same in 2017.
Have a great Camino.

Fish or cut bait!

First decide if the propose of your trip is a pilgrimage or a professional business opportunity. As you have discovered, it is difficult to do both at the same time.

-Paul
I have asked if it is safe to walk around with camera, that's it))
As to the purpose: the camera is my way to see the world and my soulmate.

Thanks a lot, guys!
Much appreciated!
I will have my luggage transferred, so I would carry only some daily necessities - and a photo equipment. I will visit other countries and cities before and after Camino, so the camera and a very light manfrotto tripod will be with me anyway. I just wanted to make sure it is safe to walk with them in the woods))
Yes, I have a phone with a very good camera, but it cannot provide the same quality, alas, especially when I composite images.
I appreciate you posting this. I was also wondering if I should take my mirrorless camera with me. I also made the decision to have my bags transferred to bring my camera along. I have both with me and will pull out my phone to take a couple of photos I can share. The comments were very helpful. Thank you Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As to the purpose: the camera is my way to see the world and my soulmate.

Yes. Well said @Turandot Thank you! My photos are also my journal. When I return home, they are a record and a window into new knowledge as I examine and research details in the images.

So maybe you have to decide are you on a walking pilgrimage or a on a tourist photography holiday.
Fish or cut bait!
First decide if the propose of your trip is a pilgrimage or a professional business opportunity.

Pilgrims (travellers) do create art. They take photographs. They draw. They paint. They write poetry, songs and stories. What they have created in the past, the present and into the future aids all of us as we learn and prepare. All of this is vital for historical understanding.

Last edited:
Yes. Well said @Turandot Thank you! My photos are also my journal. When I return home, they are a record and a window into new knowledge as I examine and research details in the images.

Pilgrims (as all travellers) do create art. They take photographs. They draw. They paint. They write poetry, songs and stories. What they have created in the past, the present and into the future aids all of us as we learn and prepare. All of this is vital for historical understanding.
hear, hear. right on!

Just some thoughts.

Fwiw the rx100 can be charged with micro usb lead to camera - no need for extra charger - I love the mk7

I've done three full Caminos and lugged a full frame SLR with 28-300mm lens with me in each one. Security is the main thing. Put it all in a bag and take it into the showers with you. At night, place it at the bottom of your sleeping bag so it cannot be accessed while you sleep

I simply cannot imagine any walk without a camera, phones are really good these days but a camera will always be just that but better; it's all to do with the lens. There are simply masses of really decent small cameras available and you don't need to break the bank together one. Mine is in a small, padded, zipped camera bag that fits it snugly and is on a sling over my left shoulder so is always there just by my right hand. It never comes off my shoulder until the end of the day. Good Luck.

I've done three full Caminos and lugged a full frame SLR with 28-300mm lens with me in each one. Security is the main thing. Put it all in a bag and take it into the showers with you. At night, place it at the bottom of your sleeping bag so it cannot be accessed while you sleep
Thank you!
that wouldn't be an issue, since i will occupy the whole room... is it safe outside, while walking with the camera?...

Thanks a lot, guys!
Much appreciated!
I shouldn't worry too much about walking the woods with your camera(s), Santiago on the other hand . . .

Since medieval times pilgrims have been warned about cutpurses (les voleurs à la tire), ladies of negotiable affection, beggars and confidence tricksters when they reach the end of their pilgrimage.

Keep your camera on a sturdy wrist leash, ignore the ladies and the beggars and don't get distracted by some itinerant villains playing the three card trick and you should be fine!

Have a good Camino and remember there are worse things that can happen than losing a camera.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my 2014 Camino I carried a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60. The "TZ" stands for "Travel Zoom". It is a pocket camera. I found it the perfect photographic companion and produced some wonderful shots with it. If you're into stats: 6.16x4.62mm sensor size, 18.1 megapixels, 30x optical zoom (35mm equivalent of 24-720mm). The optics are Carl Zeiss Leica. I did not carry a tripod but, for some shots, I wish I had that extra stability.

In 2019 I upgraded to the Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ220 (12.8x9.6mm sensor, 20.1 megapixels, 15x optical zoom 24-360mm). I also purchased a Benro PP1 pocket tripod. This was for my intended 2020 Camino, which never happened! Thanks COVID! But I have used the camera on the tripod with a 2-sec timer to take photos inside local cathedrals here in Melbourne and I am extremely pleased with the results. Who knows, maybe I'll use it in Spain next year.

On my 2014 Camino I carried a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60. The "TZ" stands for "Travel Zoom". It is a pocket camera. I found it the perfect photographic companion and produced some wonderful shots with it. If you're into stats: 6.16x4.62mm sensor size, 18.1 megapixels, 30x optical zoom (35mm equivalent of 24-720mm). The optics are Carl Zeiss Leica. I did not carry a tripod but, for some shots, I wish I had that extra stability.

In 2019 I upgraded to the Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ220 (12.8x9.6mm sensor, 20.1 megapixels, 15x optical zoom 24-360mm). I also purchased a Benro PP1 pocket tripod. This was for my intended 2020 Camino, which never happened! Thanks COVID! But I have used the camera on the tripod with a 2-sec timer to take photos inside local cathedrals here in Melbourne and I am extremely pleased with the results. Who knows, maybe I'll use it in Spain next year.
Oops! Sorry! I too have ignored your main concern regarding safety, and have focused instead on the topic of your thread, being "Photography Equipment?". I had no issues with the safety of my pocket Lumix in the albergues. The camera was always with me, and in the bottom of my sleeping bag liner while I slept. I would charge it during daylight hours alongside other pilgrim's devices - cameras, phones, etc. The device charging area seemed to be respected.

I walked some days with a professional photographer who used a Canon DSLR, and also carried his MacBook Air laptop for processing the images in the evening. He seemed to manage ok.

Oops! Sorry! I too have ignored your main concern regarding safety, and have focused instead on the topic of your thread, being "Photography Equipment?". I had no issues with the safety of my pocket Lumix in the albergues. The camera was always with me, and in the bottom of my sleeping bag liner while I slept. I would charge it during daylight hours alongside other pilgrim's devices - cameras, phones, etc. The device charging area seemed to be respected.

I walked some days with a professional photographer who used a Canon DSLR, and also carried his MacBook Air laptop for processing the images in the evening. He seemed to manage ok.
thank you so much, Alan!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
is it safe outside, while walking with the camera?
Others have mentioned about safety in albergue and safety in Santiago from thieves…

Regarding safety in nature… there’s a lot of rain in Galicia(!) so have a strategy for keeping your camera waterproof. Whereas when the weather is dry and you decide to clip it to your rucksack or waist, the walk itself is pretty chilled with some mild ascents (coming out of Portomarin). The road is always around 3 metre wide. Even when in “nature” or “forest” trail, the trail is already prepared (gravel). There is no scrambling. There are a couple of river crossings over huge boulders (safe). So I don’t think you will need to worry about bashing your lens or slip and losing your camera etc. Just the rain!!!

Depends what you mean by good quality images and what you mean by pro equipment. Cartier-Bresson used a Leica that comfortably fit into his pocket. A top-end compact should be good enough, and infinitely more practical, not to mention easier to keep secure.

I would say the main problem with bringing professional photography equipment is less the safety issue and more the extra weight and gear you will have to carry.
Yip, likeminded! Me too, as a professional photographer, had the same thoughts.

I've brought a Canon G7x (bigger Sensor, great RAW-Capability, manual controls) and a small, but sturdy tripod on my CF in 2019. I was very well pleased with the results that most of the people that I showed them in non reduced file-size thought it was shot on a full-frame-DSLR.

Go for a G7x/G9x or Sony RX100 and the results will be great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Impossible to not have a camera of sorts on the Camino and especially having taken photos for many a decade. Was not concerned about security but weight. Used a Sony a6400 with unfortunately it's stock 16-50mm lens as was rather light and pics were actually fine. For video used an Osmo Pocket which is so small it could be hidden and protected in a pouch pocket and was very easy to take videos (even incognito) without having a large camera so obvious in ones face. But much to my surprise the latest batch of smartphones take amazing photos and video, just that one is limited on storage space. All in all it was weight more than security and if carrying a DSLR with a hefty lens would make sure its well insured.

If your camera has a detectable lens, be aware that pickpockets (sometimes children) can distract you with clipboards or cardboard signs, remove the lens from your camera, and be away before you even notice!

This is not usually a problem on the Camino but can happen while transiting though airports, train stations or crowded public squares. A camera around the neck screams "dumb tourist, easy mark". Always be aware of your appearance and your surroundings.

-Paul

If your camera has a detectable lens, be aware that pickpockets (sometimes children) can distract you with clipboards or cardboard signs, remove the lens from your camera, and be away before you even notice!

This is not usually a problem on the Camino but can happen while transiting though airports, train stations or crowded public squares. A camera around the neck screams "dumb tourist, easy mark". Always be aware of your appearance and your surroundings.

-Paul
I've been to so many "Pickpocket-Spots" (Florence, Barcelona, Bruges, Lucca, Paris, Marseille, Nizza, Pisa, Prague etc.) in Europe with thousands € in professional photogear around my neck and this never ever happend to me.

If you look confident, use partly the local language you will likely not be attacked.

€46,-
Inspired by this thread, I decided to take my DSLR with me on a recent walk in the Dales… at the beginning I was moving so slowly to stop and take pictures 😅 I had my camera with me until we reached the steep bit, I put it back in my rucksack. So, Fuji’s trig point photos were all taken on my phone. On the way down the scenery wasn’t as interesting and I was keen to go down as fast as poss, so the camera never resurfaced!

Just edited the photos today, definitely much better quality ones taken from the camera and I could edit the harsh midday light better.

According to my watch, I spent 2h19m actually moving, but it took me 3h overall. So the rest for mostly taking pictures, and changing clothes a few times.

The section from Sarria-SdC is so pretty, make sure you keep walking cos you can easily get lost taking photos 🤣 OR do shorter distances and do it over 8 days maybe so you have plenty of time to take pictures. When I did it, I skipped some lovely churches because of time - sometimes by the time I took my rucksack off and made sure my dog was safe, suddenly 50 high school students arrived and queued to get into the church. So I skipped it and moved on to avoid the crowds 😔

I was keen to go down as fast as poss, so the camera never resurfaced!

So which is the best DSLR camera bag to take with you for easy access if you don't want to put it in your rucksack. I'm looking a Lowepro but there is an odd brand called Overboard which seems to do packs that can float in water.

So which is the best DSLR camera bag to take with you for easy access if you don't want to put it in your rucksack. I'm looking a Lowepro but there is an odd brand called Overboard which seems to do packs that can float in water.
I used a Peak Design V3 clip and mount it to my rucksack strap. Amazon had cheaper alternatives but the reviews say it didn’t feel as secure and I don’t wanna drop/risk dropping my camera!

Overboard 🤣 having said that, GoPro has a “floaty” case which makes your camera floats in water! I have only so far tested it in my sink, it floats!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes and people like you can send people like me photos because outside of taking photos of friends I have learned that I can't take a decent photo to save my life and 99% of the time even in those rare moments I take a decent photo it ends up looking like lots of other camino photos I took and I can't remember where the photo was taken anyway. So we are blessed with people like you who take great photos to give to people like me. Haven't I seen you somewhere before in one of my photos????
ED2DABFD-F5D7-47C4-853C-91F7493B2BE5.jpeg

I use an older version of this Lowepro

1659882305655.png
it has a D ring on either side. I use two attach short snaphook straps from the two shoulder straps of my pack to keep it from bumping around and take the weight off of my neck of a conventional camera strap.
It sits just below the sternum strap and loads from the top. When I take the pack off I release one side and then the sternum buckle.

Hello everyone,

TYIA
Professional photo equipment is too heavy. Instead of a tripod, I would use one of your walking poles to steady your camera. A cellphone that has multiple lenses will take professional photos in the hands of someone who is a professional photographer. Take a lesson in how to use it. If you have an iPhones I suggest the iPhone Academy by Emil Pakarklis, which is online. Many of his lessons are sold at a steep discount.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is how the camera clip fits onto my rucksack strap. You will need to readjust your straps, for example bringing your chest straps closer so the edge of my camera doesn’t end up sticking against my left arm etc.

Once it was there, I felt very easy to walk, nothing drags/dangling off my neck or chest. On sections where I put the camera back inside my bag, I actually felt my bag was heavier than when I had the camera on the strap!

Would totally recommend this set up for anyone who is considering taking a dslr on their Camino.

PS: having said that, I won’t be bringing mine on the Camino! Have to shed as much weight as possible so I will have to be happy with iPhone and GoPro.64969C4A-FA18-4653-838F-5D1C84D7317A.jpeg

Attachments

• 64969C4A-FA18-4653-838F-5D1C84D7317A.jpeg
    64969C4A-FA18-4653-838F-5D1C84D7317A.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Also found that having the Miroless/Dslr camera on one's chest felt a lot lighter than in the backpack and you dont have to stop and open your pack etc to take a photo. Used short straps hooked on the front backpack straps (so as not to have camera strap strain on one's neck) with the Peak Design anchor links so the camera could be released partially or completely for any reason, rain, to hide in pack.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.