• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photos, Astorga-Ponferrada

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Javiar,

Thank you so much for sharing.

When we were in Ponferrada, September 06, they were renovating the castle. It looks great.

The pictures were wonderful. I especially liked the one of your shadow.

Thanks again.

Jerry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They are wonderful photos again Javier: thanks for sharing them.
I wanted to add you as a favourite in Picasa, but I struggled with the Spanish. Eventually I hit a button and it changed me into English and all became clear! (But I have no idea why that happened!)

Just looked at them again so I could see your shadow then kept going and read the words in the book... Orujo seems to have been flowing. Yumm
I gave some to my son a couple of weeks ago as part of his cold "medicine". He woke up the next morning and felt great!
(I have been holding onto this bottle for special moments...)
Lillian

Hola, Javier,
Las fotos son maravillosas! It is so different to see the familiar Camino in a different season. It looks wonderful. On Thursday (Feb. 21) I was in Peñiscola and visited the Templar Castle there. It is interesting to see the similarities between that and the Templar castle in Ponferrada. They are equally magnificent edifices.

I have some photos I wanted to add here - Camino sign in Montserrat, for instance, but they are too large. I haven't figured out (yet) how to make them smaller. A new challenge!

Thanks for sharing the pictures - they are wonderful - and thanks for all the information.

Buen Camino,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wonderful photographs Javier.What a great sky in February. I will be in Santiago next Tuesday and Wednesday for a quick visit from our home in South Eastern Spain, courtesy of Ryan Air cheap flights. cant wait to start walking the Camino in May, been planning since last October. Your photographs have inspired me even more!!

Regards Ron

Thanks Javier for these nice photos.

Can you tell me if the old church in Foncebadon is still standing (the one where the refuge is). When I was there in October 2006 it seemed that the main wall was about to crash.

comp2foncebadon.jpg

I'm very sorry, Ulysse, to be so late to answer you and because ... I didn't realise the old church ...

I arrived rather tired, thinking of a good shower and after that, in a good conversation with the hospitalero (a nice guy) the german boy who arrived a few minutes before, and with Enrique from the Taberna de Gaia. And after that ... the darkness with the heaven covered by thousands of stars ... Spectacular !!

If it's necessary, a can return next weekend to see the church!! I don't need anything else to come back!!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks Javier.

I would not make a special trip to answer my question. Maybe someone that goes by will provide an answer.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.