A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Photos of Lisbon in Lockdown

2020 Camino Guides

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Edit: Here is an article I wrote on Medium to go with these pictures. It's about sound, light and lockdown.

On my way to and from extended grocery shopping trips this week, I've been able to walk through and photograph the Baixa and Chiado areas of Lisbon. I thought it might be interesting for others to see the emptiness in the city at the moment. If you know Lisbon, you'll know that all these places usually throng with people, especially on gorgeous days like this.

Praça do Comércio / Terreiro do Paço

49731254431_6bc6c48754_c.jpg

Praça do Município

49730707973_06ae6eedbe_c.jpg

Rossio / Praça de Dom Pedro IV

49697037163_9a3cf8f29d_c.jpg

Praça de Camões

49727253302_d01204abc3_c.jpg

Rua do Carmo

49726940956_bfe84dd783_c.jpg

Last edited:

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
We were just in Lisbon in January and it was bustling, even though it was low season. So crazy the difference just a couple of months make and the contrast.

Can you get up to Sintra and take photos of the castle with no one there?? THAT would also be nice to see. 🤣 Stay healthy!

Jamie K

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France (May and June 2017)
Portuguese Camino (May and June 2018)
Possibly Le-Puy or VDLP
WOW... I was there just about a year ago.... this is shocking. I mean... I understand what's happening in Spain but visually seeing the places that I visited a year ago... gives me a true reality.. I really hope this is not the end of human history. If it is, I'm more than grateful that I have walked the way through Spain which has become my second home in my heart. Pray for you people in Spain...

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Wow, and to think I was supposed to be getting there on Easter Sunday! Seems like a million years ago that I had that hope and expectation.
Indeed, I was looking forward to seeing you. Of course, I had to cancel my trip to Australia, which would have finished this weekend.

Can you get up to Sintra and take photos of the castle with no one there?? THAT would also be nice to see. 🤣 Stay healthy!
Hehe, nice idea! On a more realistic note, I'm hoping to get to Belém one day to take a picture of the tower with no people there. If I don't want to take transport, I can walk there from my house in about 1hr 15mins while practicing social distancing, so I don't think it would be that irresponsible, would it?

Last edited:

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
I'd forgotten the sky could be that colour!! (I live in Scotland 😂)
Yes, we still have magical light and colour in Lisbon! Travellers and writers have often waxed lyrical about the light here, e.g. Barry Hatton in his Lisbon biography Queen of the Sea:

‘The light in Lisbon is something to marvel at, even beneath winter clouds. It is not so much a feature of the city as a hallmark. It is a textured brightness, a creamy glow, at once vivid and silky.’

peregrina2000

Staff member
Indeed, I was looking forward to seeing you. Of course, I had to cancel my trip to Australia, which would have finished this weekend.

Hehe, nice idea! On a more realistic note, I'm hoping to get to Belém one day to take a picture of the tower with no people there. If I don't want to take transport, I can walk there from my house about 1hr 15mins while practicing social distancing, so I don't think it would be that irresponsible, would it?
Go for it! That would be a very nice walk without all the traffic. Will the pastry shop be open for pick-up? You could send us a full photoshoot of all those great spots in Belem!

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Frances (2018}
Been to Lisbon a few times. Beautiful city and oh those custard tarts, pastel de nata I think is the name. My spelling could be wrong but if you have tasted them, you wont care. One of those photos is close to a little bakery and the most unusual shop I have ever seen. The sardine shop. Hopefully, all being well, I will be back there early October. Stay safe everyone and Buen Camino

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago, St Jean to Santuago, 2015
Camino Portuguese, 2018
On my way to and from extended grocery shopping trips this week, I've been able to walk through and photograph the Baixa and Chiado areas of Lisbon. I thought it might be interesting for others to see the emptiness in the city at the moment. If you know Lisbon, you'll know that all these places usually throng with people, especially on gorgeous days like this.

Praça do Comércio / Terreiro do Paço

View attachment 72431

Praça do Município

View attachment 72432

Rossio / Praça de Dom Pedro IV

View attachment 72433

Praça de Camões

View attachment 72434

Rua do Carmo

View attachment 72435

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
A friend who lives in Lisbon sent me this:
Beautiful words...

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Can you get up to Sintra and take photos of the castle with no one there?? THAT would also be nice to see.
Montserrate Palace on 7 Feb this year - only 3 others there when I visited.
REALLY enjoyed my day trip to Sintra. Visited Montserrate and Quinta da Regaleira.
Montserrate7Feb2020.jpg

peregrina2000

Staff member
Beautiful writing, with such great historical touches. And those pictures are hard for me to look at without experiencing my own profound attack of saudade. Nick, now that the walk to Belem is probably on hold, your next photographic contribution could be to shoot some of those same places in the rain. I for one, would love to see some of those, and I see that weather.com predicts rain for all of next week. So if your camera can withstand the rain, how about some gloomy pictures on your forays to the food shops!

peregrina2000

Staff member
I don’t mean to derail this thread, but it is worth noting the huge difference in death toll between Portugal and the rest of Europe. Some say it was the early lockdown, others say it’s because the government announced full health coverage for all foreigners who have applied for immigration legalization, some say it’s because all political parties united behind the government’s announcement and avoided the infighting we see in so many places. I’m sure it’s impossible to identify a reason, and I’m sure there are many more contributing factors, but the difference is quite striking (Most recent total I have seen is 435 deaths, 15,000 cases more or less). This recent article is pretty interesting.

Hoping that Lisbon on lockdown photos continue.....

Tom Leonard

Boston Strong
Camino(s) past & future
Walking Sarria-Santiago Sept. 17,2015
Montserrate Palace on 7 Feb this year - only 3 others there when I visited.
REALLY enjoyed my day trip to Sintra. Visited Montserrate and Quinta da Regaleira.
View attachment 72596
My wife and I were there on this same day . We were spending February in Cascais and then left for 3 weeks going north and onward to PORTO after a few stops . While in COIMBRA I saw that yellow shell for the Camino . It reminded me of my Camino in 2015 and how it instantly reminded me of my journey and desire to do the Portuguese Camino . We left on March 16th back to Boston and just in time . Portugal ( we have spent two winters ) is beautiful along with the people ! I pray they stay safe and wish to return next winter . Buena Camino Amigos !!

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
I finally managed to get to Sintra today as Portugal's recovery is on track and museums/palaces etc reopened on Monday. I didn't make it to the castle but I spent nearly an hour at the Pena Palace as the only visitor there. It was amazing!

49916232546_71d6e36fb9_c.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I finally managed to get to Sintra today as Portugal's recovery is on track and museums/palaces etc reopened on Monday. I didn't make it to the castle but I spent nearly an hour at the Pena Palace as the only visitor there. It was amazing!

View attachment 75388
I've spent a lot of time in Sintra. Sintra is incredible and the Pena Palace is like Disneyland on acid! What a beautiful, crazy place. If you have time, be sure to see the Museum of the Coaches in Lisbon. It is one of my favorite museums!

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)

View attachment 75388
Totally jealous that you had it all to yourself!!!! :) :) Thanks for the picture!

Camino(s) past & future
C Inglés June 2019
To do: C Primitivo June 202x :(
I was there with my wife in October last year and then there were more than 6 people 🤪
Even difficult to walk on the small walls, people in both directions.
It seems that you had the place fore yourself👍😉
Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures in this 'strange times', makes me like I'm there in vacation again 🙂
Stay safe.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Done! It was amazing up there today!

(Although unfortunately there were six other people there which completely ruined it.) 🤣
SHOOT!! I made you go to extra effort, when actually I mistakenly was calling the Pena Palace the "castle". We actually haven't gone to the actual castle yet, but your photos are great. You had gorgeous weather! Thanks again! :) :)

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
SHOOT!! I made you go to extra effort, when actually I mistakenly was calling the Pena Palace the "castle". We actually haven't gone to the actual castle yet, but your photos are great. You had gorgeous weather! Thanks again! :) :)
Haha, I would have gone anyway! Actually I even went back to the Pena Palace today for the second time in a week because it’s so spectacular in this light and with no crowds.

01CA2F29-54E8-4CA6-9022-2629687B7236.jpeg

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
SO beautiful!! Thanks for sharing. It was one of our favorite places when we visited and it's strange now to see it so empty. What a treat for you!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock