• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photos of Macabi Skirts in the Field

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I think whether or not a Macabi Skirt looks "unfashionable" on a person depends on the person's body shape and your idea of "fashionable."

Personally, I think they look great.

Here is a page of many, many women in their Macabi skirts.
It's nice because you can click on each photo, read a bit about where they wore their skirts, and see various colors and lengths:

http://www.macabiskirt.com/in-the-field

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think they look great too but what's more, they're absolutely fabulous to walk in.
I have been walking in foul weather here in SouthEast England, rain and gales, and the rain just brushes off and the skirt doesn't even blow about in the wind.
It is definitely going on my next pilgrimage :cool:

So...based on this thread I went ahead and bought a Macabi Skirt!
I was very impressed with the customer service and have been thrilled with the purchase. I didn't know what to expect as far as texture etc... went and was suprised at how light it is (in a good way). It is very comfortable and I am really impressed by the workmanship.

The ONLY thing I can't say about it...I can't say the fabric makes me want to roll it around myself and sleep on it...which is why I wonder why my cat chose to do just that upon it's arrival and not get up for hours!!!!!!!

Anywho great purchase! glad I took the gamble...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mine arrived yesterday... Long, charcoal. I think I like it, but my brain is kicking back, it seems to think skirts are not for hiking and if I have to wear leggings then I am back to carrying more than I want... Dang it!!!!

I wore a macabi for walki g with long legged shorts underneath as i did nit want to chafe ... loved it! The pockets are deep ebough for a water bottle lipbalm and tissues. Althoughbid did not have to go tot he bathroom...in a skirt it can be done more discreetly. I loved it and washing it was easy with quick drying by morn.

Mine arrived yesterday... Long, charcoal. I think I like it, but my brain is kicking back, it seems to think skirts are not for hiking and if I have to wear leggings then I am back to carrying more than I want... Dang it!!!!

Hi, i wore mine this winter with leggings underneath, well the weather was pretty dismal, but I don't intent to wear them in the Summer! When are you doing your camino?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, i wore mine this winter with leggings underneath, well the weather was pretty dismal, but I don't intent to wear them in the Summer! When are you doing your camino?
Summer, of course... Why not summer for you? I started hiking in it and I am becoming quite fond if it, even in Florida temperatures :) if things continue to work out with it, I plan to replace one of my pants with it. My God, it dries at lightning speed!!! I test-washed it to check it out and nothing I own is as fast! Not even my ex-officio underwear.

Summer, of course... Why not summer for you? I started hiking in it and I am becoming quite fond if it, even in Florida temperatures :) if things continue to work out with it, I plan to replace one of my pants with it. My God, it dries at lightning speed!!! I test-washed it to check it out and nothing I own is as fast! Not even my ex-officio underwear.
Have been hiking this weekend in Qld, Australia. Midday temp 30*C. I found it much cooler than pants. Hooked up the front hem to encourage the breeze when there was none. No sunburnt legs as would have been the case if I had worn shorts. Walked through dewy grass early in the morning and was dry within minutes of returning to the road. Will be my main outfit for the Camino in May. My kids say I look old fashioned but who cares! I have white hair I can do as I please!

Have been hiking this weekend in Qld, Australia. Midday temp 30*C. I found it much cooler than pants. Hooked up the front hem to encourage the breeze when there was none. No sunburnt legs as would have been the case if I had worn shorts. Walked through dewy grass early in the morning and was dry within minutes of returning to the road. Will be my main outfit for the Camino in May. My kids say I look old fashioned but who cares! I have white hair I can do as I please!

I threaded a colorful scarf through the belt loops and even those who said it looked dreadful before, changed their mind. Amazing what a little color will do!! At any rate, three miles yesterday in hot and muggy and still loving this skirt. It's going!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Olivia, you can also purchase boy cut underwear to wear underneath? That's what I do.

I'm still in love with the Macabi.
This year, I think I'll try just taking ONE! and wear it the entire 6 weeks.
Last year, I took two and rarely wore the other, and when I did, it was just because it was in my pack. The other would have been fine and saved room in my pack.

Olivia, you can also purchase boy cut underwear to wear underneath? That's what I do.

I'm still in love with the Macabi.
This year, I think I'll try just taking ONE! and wear it the entire 6 weeks.
Last year, I took two and rarely wore the other, and when I did, it was just because it was in my pack. The other would have been fine and saved room in my pack.
Well, at the end of the day, if I have t toss something out of my backpack before we leave, I am fairly certain it will be that pair of pants and it will just be the Macabi for three weeks plus some Capezio running tights :)

So back about 10 days and wanted to share my Macabi story.
After reading this thread ordered one. My last Camino (the Frances) I wore running tights, running skirts (made of that tight material), and had one pair of running pants.
This year I packed the running tights and my Macabi for the Norte.
By day five the brambles and thorns on the Norte caused me to put on my Macabi for the first time of my trip.
At one point I was on the rocks at a beach looking for seaglass and when I got up I had mud all over my black Macabi. I thought to myself , "oh no this is going to show EVERYTHING!".
An hour later I was checking into my auberge and there was no mud on me, it just crumbled right off on its own...my skirt looked brand new.
That night I packed up all pants and wore my Macabi for the remainder of my trip...atleast four weeks. It dried quickly and honestly can't say I washed it often.
The pockets held bread for donkeys, I honestly think you only need one!
Thank you Annie for mentioning this skirt!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are very welcome. I packed an extra macabi this year even though I said I wouldn't, but really didn't need to. I'm convinced one is enough. They just don't get dirty. Plus the pockets mean no belly bag. I love my Macabis!

Ooooooo! I love the scarf idea! You can buy really lightweight long scarves in Spain. I got one for 2,60 I love. Putting it through the belt loops is a great way to carry it and have it handy for wind or sun! Yay Macabi!

Yup agree with all the positive comments about the Macabi skirt - after reading about them on here last year i bought one and took it on my camino - i LOVED it, it is so comfortable to walk in, the pockets are huge and i was able to fit the guide book in one pocket and a 500ml bottle of water in the other pocket. It has a discreet zip pocket where i kept my credit cards and cash. I didn't really care what it looked like - comfort was my priority.

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

Lovely pics.
I'm leaving 6th july for a really long trek..... Was wondering whether I should order a 2nd Macabi.... Maybe I'll be brave and go with just the one.... ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lovely pics.
I'm leaving 6th july for a really long trek..... Was wondering whether I should order a 2nd Macabi.... Maybe I'll be brave and go with just the one.... ?
I only needed one...it was black and honestly did not find I needed another even if the burden of space and weight and washing was removed I still only needed my one.

Not on a camino yet so my Macabi's are just around town (well actually office) wear. I seem to wear my Charcoal regular more than my Stone short. I like the longer skirt. So if anyone has a size medium, regular in Stone they'd like to trade for a size medium, short in Stone, PM me!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Donna,
So far, only wore the Macabi whilst on 'training' walks, not 'for real', so a bit of a newbie here...
But ...the weather was foul here this winter, gales and heavy rain. I wore it long, as a skirt , with leggings underneath and with a waterproof jacket (no backpack to protect) . The rain seemed to brush off it. At the end of 2 or 3 hours, it was still dry.
When I walked with normal trekking trousers, I was drenched. I tried rainproof trousers (cheap ones) but although I stayed dry on the outside I found them much too hot.
On the camino I usually wear a poncho so that is what I'll be taking. I think....
I am still, litterally, weighing the pros and cons ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What if it's raining? Do you wear a poncho? Make them into the shorts and wear rain pants? Or some other option?

Donna
I have a rain jacket and the skirt dried quickly...
one day I felt a little overly drenched but honestly don't remeber the rain being a huge problem and I did see my share of rain.

Thinking I might need one of these! How much do they weigh? How true is the sizing advice to order one size smaller if you do not want a fuller fit?

Thanks for any info~

• The easy part: 275g for size S short. Not sure about the rest of the question, sorry. But wish I had bought Regular length to have it longer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
  • The easy part: 275g for size S short. Not sure about the rest of the question, sorry. But wish I had bought Regular length to have it longer.
Thank you! The sizing area of the web sites states 'For a less full fit in the skirt, go one size smaller. Men, go two sizes smaller.' I hate men (apologies to my beloved husband!) ~ I am not sure what it means either but I had to order a Large so any extra fullness will be provided by me! I decided on charcoal and a regular length. I will leave a message on where a regular length hits on my 5'5" frame. I am planning on a pair of yoga type shorts to sleep in anyway so the weight added to my pack will be for the skirt only.

God willing I will wear it out of SJPdP on September 3rd~

You did well ordering regular, bet it's just perfect. It comes with a draw-string around the waist so you can adjust it if/as you lose inches as you walk :)

I walked in horrid conditions yesterday, in knee-high wet grass (for miles, never again, I hope!) and skirt did get sodden, so did my shoes. But the macabi dried before I had realised it.

Looks like the Macabi skirts are 20% off at the moment! I would, but I've got two already and the customs fees put me off. Maybe this means they are bringing out a new 'collection' with new and exciting colours?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Been wearing my macabi on the Camino this year in many rainstorms. I'm wearing wool leggings under and am quite dry and warm. The nylon sheds most if the water. Macabi rocks!

Has anyone seen the Raspberry Wine skirt in the wild? The pics on the website seem to be photoshopped and I can't find any live pics on the net. Raspberries are pinkish, and wine dark red, but that looks almost orangey or scarlet red. I kind of like the idea of a red or at least colourful skirt, and there are no other real colours to choose from.

No, in fact I have never seen any Macabis being worn anywhere! The red does look very bright, cheerful even. I'm afraid I'm on the dark side, I have a black one and just ordered a charcoal, and I blame YOU for it lolol ;)

Moi? Oh, very well. I have been blamed for worse. :D
I have worn my Macabi in Stone (basic beige) around the house and in and out of my tent etc. with no logistical problems and have now decided, just so you can hold me to it, to do my Wales Coast Path walk in it this summer. I mean, what's not to like? it's more convertible than any trousers anyway, it's just a matter of getting used to the thought of hiking in a skirt. I also sent an email to the company to ask them for other pics of the colours but have not heard back ... so I bought the red one before it sold out. I will post pics in inside and outside light when it arrives.

The sale has been extended till June 8. I just got the ones I ordered, and for anyone thinking about ordering one, they do run very large. Order a size down is good advice. I ordered the size I would choose in a normal skirt and I could wear long underwear and heavy jeans under it and it would still be very loose.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't suppose you got a raspberry wine one? :D Mine are also a size smaller and fit perfectly - but I wear them on my hips because I am freakishly tall. What colours did you get and do they look like the pics on the website?

No, no raspberry, sorry. I was too chicken to take a chance on the color. I got a charcoal, which is, well, charcoal colored, and a stone one, which is more like khaki. Darker and greener than the pic on the site. That one's going back. Will try dusky blue this time. I wish they had a nice buff color, something like the way the stone looks in the picture, since it's plenty hot here right now and I'd rather not wear such dark colors when it's 90º out.

edited for typo

Last edited:
Hmm, no, mine is more military surplus color. Maybe that's one reason they're having a sale. :)

Just to say that they've extended the sale another week because of problems with the site last week.

(Nidarosa, I still haven't gotten the replacement yet. I'll let you know what the color is like.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
> Let me know what the dusty blue is like!

I'd call it navy, myself, although it tends a bit more towards green rather than the purplish cast in a typical navy blue. But mostly just a very dark blue, not so greenish or so light as it is in the pic on the site.

Just got back from Camino Frances less than a week ago and LOVED my Macabi skirt. With long or short tights underneath, they were comfortable and so so versatile for the varying temps in Spain. I received LOTS of compliments on them wherever I went. For women, definitely a size down. I am 5'6 and ordered the regular length which was perfect for me!ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402441372.380354.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402441385.883447.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402441358.895868.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1402441358.895868.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
The sale has been extended till June 8. I just got the ones I ordered, and for anyone thinking about ordering one, they do run very large. Order a size down is good advice. I ordered the size I would choose in a normal skirt and I could wear long underwear and heavy jeans under it and it would still be very loose.
I am curious to know what lengths you ladies are ordering for yourselves ?? I'm 5'10" so judging by the pictures on their website, i'm guessing that a 'short' on me would be 'short'. I'm just wondering if a long on me would end up being a regular ... hmm... anyone else out there my height that could offer their opinion ? ... also... I'd normally get a size 16 which is Large, but a size smaller would have me in 'dream mode'... decisions decisions

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cari, I am 5' 11" (or close to 1,80) and a size 16 UK - I take it you mean 16 US? I have the Large Long skirts. The first one I had was an XL, as almost everything in the world is smaller than it claims, but the Large fits perfectly on my hips and makes it ankle length-ish which I prefer. I have only about two inches of material left to stretch around the hips, but around the waist you would have more room - it also depends on the circumference of your hips, as you would still have to get it past them :D If your hips are narrow (mine are not particularly).

I sold my first one here and these are the actual measurements of an XL, UK 20-22, US 18-20 in Regular length (I am not at home to measure my L/L one but it will give you an idea):
Waist laid flat not stretching the elastic: 40 cms/15.5 inches
Waist pulled as far as elastic will allow: 60 cms/23.5 inches
Width at the bottom of the skirt: 115 cms/45.3 inches
Length along middle seam: 89 cms/35 inches

I'm 5'9" and too heavy (but still in the 100s), but working on it. Anyway, I have the XL in long and am quite pleased (although my sister said I looked Amish; I did get the brown...my style has always been a tad more conservative than hers). I figure when I drop some pounds, the drawstring will do its thing. The skirt lands just above my ankles.

Last edited:
Cari, I am 5' 11" (or close to 1,80) and a size 16 UK - I take it you mean 16 US? I have the Large Long skirts. The first one I had was an XL, as almost everything in the world is smaller than it claims, but the Large fits perfectly on my hips and makes it ankle length-ish which I prefer. I have only about two inches of material left to stretch around the hips, but around the waist you would have more room - it also depends on the circumference of your hips, as you would still have to get it past them :D If your hips are narrow (mine are not particularly).

I sold my first one here and these are the actual measurements of an XL, UK 20-22, US 18-20 in Regular length (I am not at home to measure my L/L one but it will give you an idea):
Waist laid flat not stretching the elastic: 40 cms/15.5 inches
Waist pulled as far as elastic will allow: 60 cms/23.5 inches
Width at the bottom of the skirt: 115 cms/45.3 inches
Length along middle seam: 89 cms/35 inches

I'm 5'9" and too heavy (but still in the 100s), but working on it. Anyway, I have the XL in long and am quite pleased (although my sister said I looked Amish; I did get the brown...my style has always been a tad more conservative than hers). I figure when I drop some pounds, the drawstring will do its thing. The skirt lands just above my ankles.
Thank you for the input. On the advise of all related posts, I just ordered my first skirt in Charcoal, size L Long ~ I'm so excited ~ With wishful thinking it may arrive before the sale is over and prompt me to want another :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here at long last is the raspberry wine skirt - not at all pinkish or wine coloured but rather red with a hint of coral ... I still like it and will keep it, it is very bright and happy coloured but I will definitely stay away from bulls!

Edit: I have decided to sell it as the initial "yay, it's an actual colour!" feeling settled and it just isn't my colour. Still hoping for something in purple, proper blue or green ...

Attachments

• tmp_24645-20140616180854-1730038348.jpg
    tmp_24645-20140616180854-1730038348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Great idea the Maccabi. I am test driving a hiking kilt made by Mountain Hardwear. A little shorter, maybe not as versatile. The older I get, the less I want to wear pants. Not to mention my fabulous legs... I just find skirts or in this case kilts much more comfortable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I wear my Macabi's without any "anit-chafe" wear under it when I am not walking much. When I know I am, and when I'll be on my mid-Sept to early Oct camino I'll wear a pair of men's very light weight compression shorts I picked up at Eastbay. All the women's (and men's locally) I found were so much heavier. And I can get men's in a 8.5" leg - the women's are much shorter. I'll also be wearing them as my sleep shorts.

I am curious to know what lengths you ladies are ordering for yourselves ?? I'm 5'10" so judging by the pictures on their website, i'm guessing that a 'short' on me would be 'short'. I'm just wondering if a long on me would end up being a regular ... hmm... anyone else out there my height that could offer their opinion ? ....s

I am 5'4" terribly short torso but long legs. I bought Anniesantiago's Stone colored short length last year and thought it was way short (YMMV). I then ordered a Charcoal in the medium length and love where the hem hits. I'd look up the actual skirt length in your size and drop a measuring tape down from your waist to see where each length would fit.

Hi all! I thought I would report on the Macabi skirt since I've been walking with one since beg. July!
I have worn it every day, be it in 35 deg temperature this summer or right now in freezing cold (but with merino leggings underneath). I also brought a pair of hiking trousers just in case the skirt didn't work out but I only wear these in the evening. I couldn't now do without those big roomy pockets.
I do get some funny looks and once ,in a cathedral, everyone came to me for info, they obviously thought I was a nun lol
I have washed it a few times ('onest, lol) and it is dry by the morning.
I don't have pretty pics to send but I'm wearing it on my profile pic (in the mountains of Serbia).

At last the long charcoal XXLs are back in stock! Hooray! I love my black skirts, so I'm quite pleased! Perhaps I won't look quite so funereal. :)

I am 5'4" terribly short torso but long legs. I bought Anniesantiago's Stone colored short length last year and thought it was way short (YMMV). I then ordered a Charcoal in the medium length and love where the hem hits. I'd look up the actual skirt length in your size and drop a measuring tape down from your waist to see where each length would fit.

Do you want to sell the stone one back to me?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here at long last is the raspberry wine skirt - not at all pinkish or wine coloured but rather red with a hint of coral ... I still like it and will keep it, it is very bright and happy coloured but I will definitely stay away from bulls!

Edit: I have decided to sell it as the initial "yay, it's an actual colour!" feeling settled and it just isn't my colour. Still hoping for something in purple, proper blue or green ...

How much do you want for it and what size is it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought a Macabi based on the advice on this forum and it was, by far, the best packing decision I made on the camino Frances this fall (well, that, and sending a thick novel, which weighed more than a kilogram, home from Puente la Reina). I wore the Macabi every day on my trip, from London to Santiago, through sun and rain, on rest days and in restaurants, in dusty fields and dodgy shower stalls.

The 'raspberry wine' colour does show dirt, so I tried to wash it when I was in a place with a laundry machine. I had leggings to wear underneath the skirt, so I never used the "shorts" function, opting instead to wear the sides snapped up most of the time I was walking, bringing it to ankle length when I was in town. Having a quick-dry skirt which also functioned as a purse or waist belt would was so, so helpful - who would have thought that I could keep my credencial, passport, money, cards, journal, phone (which also functioned as a guidebook), pocketknife, snacks and 1-2 water bottles all in my skirt pockets? I became known as "the girl in the red skirt", and I may have converted a few others to the Macabi cult. If (when) I buy another, I'd go for a size smaller - I was grateful for the drawstring but by the end of my walk had to cinch it pretty tightly so it would stay up (another good reason for leggings underneath ;) ).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 66
I am curious to know what lengths you ladies are ordering for yourselves ?? I'm 5'10" so judging by the pictures on their website, i'm guessing that a 'short' on me would be 'short'. I'm just wondering if a long on me would end up being a regular ... hmm... anyone else out there my height that could offer their opinion ? ... also... I'd normally get a size 16 which is Large, but a size smaller would have me in 'dream mode'... decisions decisions

I am a smidge over six feet tall (about 184 cm), and I wear a long Macabi. As a size 22 US, the XXL fits me fine. I have two black and a charcoal, and think I may grab a raspberry one this winter.

€46,-
Advice please. My Macabi skirt has eyelet holes in the inside waist band, but the elastic is firmly sewn into the edges. Is this normal? I can't see how the waist can be cinched in unless I insert an extra length of elastic or a draw cord of some sort. I've been fishing around side the waist band with tweezers to see if there is something to pull, but no luck.

Hi Kanga,
Yes, there's a drawstring that comes out of those eyelets. But in my second Macabi skirt (I have actually never worn it), only one side of the drawstring is out, the other one stuck inside. I'll have to get it out somehow. So with your skirt, either they have forgotten to put the drawstring in or maybe it is stuck inside? I would contact them and tell them?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tried hiking in my skirt fo the first time. I am 5'3" and about 110 lbs. I got a small short in midnight blue. Love the color and the sizing. The bottom of the skirt is about mid-calf on me. I thought the length was good for hiking because it didn't get in the way when taking some big steps up. I did feel a little weird when I passed other hikers. I was wondering if they thought I belonged to some group which frowned upon women in pants! I don't think I've ever seen anyone hike in a skirt.

Here are some pics.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @pudgypilgrim and @domigee - mine is missing. I'll try threading some elastic or tape through. If I get creative I might even improve on a simple drawstring.

I actually kind of wish mine were stuck inside, since I don't like having the tie rubbing against my skin. That's one part of the design I would change--I'd much rather have the drawstring on the outside.

I re-threaded mine this morning, the tie is just a very long shoelace... If you find it uncomfortable, would it work just taking it out and replacing it by a belt on the outside, maybe?
(Ooh just thinking of my skirts makes me feel like going walking again !!! )

I ordered one too after reading this thread. It arrived today and it looks great! The pockets are amazing.

The drawstring was there but I may remove it. With the elastic waistband and belt loops I don't think I would ever use it.

Now I have to wrap my brain around hiking in a skirt. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What do you wear under the skirt when hiking?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Terramar Hottoties leggings. And they even make them for those of us with curves, unlike most other activewear brands. I bring mine in case of colder weather and as PJs the rest of the time. They have 3 grades of warmth. I bought the Kashmir line. Oh, and such a good price as well. 30$.

I have 3/4 length Ibex woolies (merino wool lightweight long john bottoms). I may wear a pair of light compression shorts in the summer to avoid chaffing. I too like the pockets. Since it is originally a "fly fishing" skirt, I will probably also wear it for that activity as well.

I haven't tried mine for a long hike yet.
I guess it's necessary to wear leggings or shorts underneath?

Hi! No, absolutely not. In the Summer I wore just the skirt, often made shorter at the sides if it was very hot. Only when it is cold do I wear the leggings.

Unless you are one of these very thin women with gaps between their thighs, I would wear biker short type of legging underneath to prevent chaffing.

I actually contacted the company a few weeks ago asking if they had ever thought about sewing a bikershort liner in their skirts (because when sewing them in you can have a much lighter weight material the ones used for standalone shorts - lighter, faster drying as well) and they said it's in the works! I am waiting for this change to put in my order.

But... Then it's just like wearing shorts??? Isn't the convenience of wearing a skirt lost then if shorts are sewn inside?
Have I missed something? :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But... Then it's just like wearing shorts??? Isn't the convenience of wearing a skirt lost then if shorts are sewn inside?
Have I missed something? :)

Think of the traditonal men's boxer shorts - thin cotton type of material.

The skirt gives you more flexibility - longer when you need it, shorter when you want to air or tan your legs. Even the shortest Makabi will not "vent you" where those liners go. And shorts are much thicker. This is just a very thin shell to prevent the skin from rubbing - which is incredibly painful and can send you home from the Camino early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought it through. I'm glad the Macabi skirts peeps are taking it into consideration. Just shows we're all different which is good!
It still leaves me with the question (please don't think I'm too obtuse lol!, cos I probably am or too rude, cos that was never meant!) : how do you 'spend a penny' discreetly if you have shorts sewn in?
I never wore the skirt on the Camino because I didn't know about them then but I trekked in one for 4,500 km this year and being able to be discreet was the main selling point for me, when there were no facilities anywhere.

I was wondering about that, uh, issue too. In addition to the great pockets...that was one of the selling points for me too. ;)

€149,-
I was wondering about that, uh, issue too. In addition to the great pockets...that was one of the selling points for me too. ;)

I wouldn't want sewn in shorts.

With sewn in shorts, the skirt would require more regular washing, like pants, due to increased bodily contact. Defeats one of the perks of skirt hiking. And more of a hassle to pee wild, of course.

When warm weather hiking, I wear boy boxer-briefs with my Macabi to prevent chaffing. A little Body Glide helps as well.
When cold weather hiking, I wear merino leggings.

These are great - and currently on sale as well. Check out all the awesome colors. You'll never lose your panties on the communal clothes line again!
http://www.eastbay.com/product/mode...?cm=GLOBAL SEARCH: KEYWORD SEARCH#sku-6956404

how do you 'spend a penny' discreetly if you have shorts sewn in?
Domigee, to quote you, "I hadn't thought it through" ;). And it's perhaps because I get by just fine spending pennies at the albergue in the morning, at the bar after my second cafe con leche, at the bar in the next town with my 3rd cafe con leche, this time with croissant and fresh pressed orange juice. ;) (Look at current topic being discussed at the moment, about women's relief). Do you think they would make them with built in flaps, just like one peice children's pijamas used to have? ;) The truth is I need that piece of cloth and for me that trumps the rest. Now, if my hottoties came in a short version , that would be perfect. Maybe I will email that company next!

I wear boy boxer-briefs with my Macabi to prevent chaffing. A little Body Glide helps as well.
Check out all the awesome colors. You'll never lose your panties on the communal clothes line again!
http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:208810/sku:6956802/eastbay-evapor-8-compression-shorts-2.0-mens/yellow/black/?cm=GLOBAL SEARCH: KEYWORD SEARCH#sku-6956404

Thanks for this tip. I am undecided between the Camo and Fierce Yellow! Who knew men cared about textile colours this much?;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm TOTALLY getting those neon compression shorts. Thank you, saltwaterpearl!

Oh, when I said I hadn't thought it through... I meant the chaffing. Which I knew nothing about.
The peeing... Oh I do. And not everyone does the camino francés. And sometimes, there is nowhere. Trust me :)
Buen camino.

I have a Freshette urination device that works very well when I wear men's boxer briefs or compression shorts under my Macabi. I just hike up the skirt a bit, open the fly of my underwear, and use the Freshette.

I practiced at home before I took it along to my next backpacking jaunt, and I'll definitely be taking it on my next Camino. I never want to get stuck on the side of the twisty, almost-shoulderless road to the Ventas on that first day with my bum hanging out.

Thankfully the next car came by half a minute AFTER I'd finished. Oh, the adventures of the Camino! :-D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, when I said I hadn't thought it through... I meant the chaffing. Which I knew nothing about.
The peeing... Oh I do. And not everyone does the camino francés. And sometimes, there is nowhere. Trust me :)
Buen camino.

You are correct, all I have done is CF and the first half of el Norte so I cannot speak about those truly remote Caminos.

Has anyone tried waterproof spray on the skirt? Especially the bottom half?
I was thinking it might be good over pants in the rain...?

Thanks to you wonderful pilgrims - I've purchased my first Macabi skirt today. My first Camino is in September and I'm really into the preparation for it. Thanks again.

€60,-
I have been wearing my Macabi skirt while hiking in Yorkshire in this very hot summer weather! Cool and comfortable, great to move in, I am looking forward to wearing it on my Camino in September 2018.

I am in Santiago now and just finished my Camino Frances with my husband. I brought a long charcoal slim macabi skirt that worked great for the cool beginning of the Camino and rainy days and also a short light grey macabi that worked for all the hot days. They were absolutely fantastic. They dried quicker than the rest of my clothes, were so comfortable with hiking and will go on my next Camino for sure!!! I also brought a light weight dress that worked great as an after shower go to supper dress/ nightgown.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.