Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photos of the Invierno 2018

dick bird

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024

I did put some captions on, but they seem to have been wiped.

People said some really nice things about my video of the Aragonés, so I've done one of the Invierno. It's well worth doing, the scenery is spectacular, especially the Rio Sil and some interesting places, e.g. Las Médulas -one of the earliest examples of industrial landscape destruction: the Romans enslaved the locals to construct venturi-type water channels to blast huge chunks of rock off the hillside so they could gather the gold. Lemos de Monforte monastery has a stunning wood carving altar piece and a wine growing museum/centre (Mencía is the local wine). It is well way-marked (if a little faded) and there are (or were) other pilgrims on it, but not so many.

If we can't go there yet, at least we can look at the pictures and dream.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Excellent pictures Dick, enjoyed very much, though the music choice not mine so I listened to a MoneyWeek podcast!! Weird but true.
A walk I would love to do along with adn nearby the VdlP with Sanabres.

Really well done, Dick...beautiful photos, and I liked the music. You caught my favorite of the quitky animal images, and I loved the reflections in the Sil. Was that baker and his wood-fired oven in A Rua?

[Perhaps I'm being a pedant, but one small correction. It's Montforte de Lemos, not the other way around.]

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Really well done, Dick...beautiful photos, and I liked the music. You caught my favorite of the quitky animal images, and I loved the reflections in the Sil. Was that baker and his wood-fired oven in A Rua?

[Perhaps I'm being a pedant, but one small correction. It's Montforte de Lemos, not the other way around.]
I know, I suddenly sat up in bed and thought "Hang about, Lemos de Montforte doesn't make sense", and yes, the baker was in A Rua, lovely bloke and very proud of his 100 year old oven. You must have chatted to him as well. Cheers.

Excellent pictures Dick, enjoyed very much, though the music choice not mine so I listened to a MoneyWeek podcast!! Weird but true.
A walk I would love to do along with adn nearby the VdlP with Sanabres.
Funny you should say that. I checked the youtube video of that track and it is the only time I have seen a youtube video with more dislikes than likes, so you're not the only one. Maybe something more mellow next time. I'm working on some pictures of the Olvidado (or will be when I get round to it).. If (or when) you get the chance, do the Plata. It was my first camino and I have a strong affection for it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
OMG, I wish. And to have some if that bread. But, alas no. Next time. Where exactly is his shop?
Phew, now you're asking. From memory, it is on the main street, on the right hand side as you are coming into town, certainly not on a back street, but I can't remember exactly where. We just happened upon it, looking for something for lunch, as you do. The locals will probably know who he is. And yes, the bread was seriously good. He told us he was in his seventies and didn't want to stop work because he enjoyed it so much. I just hope he made it through Covid and is still there (good chance he is, he looked pretty resilient).

From memory, it is on the main street, on the right hand side as you are coming into town,

Now it looks like we have two panaderías on the Invierno not to be missed. One in Rodeiro (link to article abut the king’s breadmakers) and now one in A Rúa. I had a sandwich in Pillabán in A Rúa, and the bread was outstanding, so maybe that place you showed is the source.

From another thread, one member described the panadería/cafetería Peyma, halfway down the main road on the way into town. (Artesanos Peyma on google maps shows some pictures of the cafetería, but it’s on the left side of the street).

Lots of good food to look forward to on our next Invierno, Santiago willing!

Thinking of the Invierno, and of fresh good bread.
Both well out of the realm of the possible for me for quite a while.
This. Is. Torture.
But it's also a joy, in some weird way.
🤣🤣🤣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Now it looks like we have two panaderías on the Invierno not to be missed. One in Rodeiro (link to article abut the king’s breadmakers) and now one in A Rúa. I had a sandwich in Pillabán in A Rúa, and the bread was outstanding, so maybe that place you showed is the source.

From another thread, one member described the panadería/cafetería Peyma, halfway down the main road on the way into town. (Artesanos Peyma on google maps shows some pictures of the cafetería, but it’s on the left side of the street).

Lots of good food to look forward to on our next Invierno, Santiago willing!
If this is the oven

Screenshot_20210314-230006.png

Then the bakery is called Eduardo Díaz Fernández and is the highest rated bakery in A Rua on Google Maps (4.8) and can be found at 9VMF+27 Petín, Spain

If this is the oven

View attachment 95346

Then the bakery is called Eduardo Díaz Fernández and is the highest rated bakery in A Rua on Google Maps (4.8) and can be found at 9VMF+27 Petín, Spain
1615720334138.png

You know what? I don't think it is the same one. In which case, A Rua is uniquely blessed with traditional bakeries.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back