Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Physical difficulty of the primitivo

lindseh

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, April/May 2011; May/June 2013; upcoming 2016 Camino
Hola peregrinos,

So, I've walked the Frances twice in the past 5 years, and while I managed to go the distance, I got tendonitis both times within the first week or two of walking. I'm trying to take steps to prevent that this time, as I did last time as well, but I kind of need to prepare for my next Camino with the assumption that it will be a great physical challenge for me, even if the terrain was all flat. But I wanted to ask those of you who have walked the primitivo about the difficulty of the terrain.

Is this route much more physically demanding than the Frances? One thing I worry about as well is the lack of flexibility in stopping short of a full etapa if I have to. Anyone have some advice for me as to whether this is a Camino I would be able to tackle?

Thanks folks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Lindseh. Yes, it is quite more demanding than the Frances. It runs mainly on the mountains and its a continuous up and down, That said, it is a beautiful Camino, well marked, running between woods and meadows mainly through the green Asturias´s valleys till Melide, in the Camino Frances. At high season there are not accommodation problems, usually. During winter time, and first months of spring, it is very muddy .
The link bellow is the Guia Eroski ones, It is in Spanish, but you can see in this guide each stage´s the topographical profiles as well as other valuable information.
Buen Camino.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/primitivo/

The tendinitis is probably because of two things --- too aggressive a start (you overwhelmed your body's ability to recover and strengthen) and insufficient advanced training (you didn't build sufficient strength or the right kind). It could also be poor technique because you were taking too long a stride while ascending and descending, which stressed your tendons more than necessary.

All things that may help:
  • Poles (if you don't already use them).
  • Walk shorter stages in the beginning and let your body catch up with your drive.
  • Greater advanced training, including multi-day training, especially with hills.
  • Tendon, knee, leg, and hip strengthening exercises. A good resource for specific issues is http://runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/ but there are a lot of other quality resources out there. While running involves different stresses than hiking, I've found the treatments for injuries to be very effective.
  • Look for videos or other resources on proper climbing and descending techniques. Google "sherpa step" and you'll have a great set right off.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked both the Frances and Norte/Primitivo. In terms of trail conditions, Primitivo is not more difficult or technical than some of the stages on the Frances. All the trails are well developed/maintained for hiking and the ascends are gradual. With the exception of a climb into Cadavo (1km or so). One can avoid this climb by staying on the road. There is also one steep descends into Embalse de salime that can be hard on your knees. So take it slow and steady.

Physical challenge comes mainly from elevation gains. On average, expect a daily climb of about 300-400m. At times the gain s over multiple ups and downs. The highest elevation gain is at the hospitales stage, about 700m.

I am overweight and not in my best shape. I managed the entire norte by keeping the daily distances to around 20km. So, if you are physically challenged some planning would be needed. Need to keep track of taxi phone # and location of Bars along each stage for worst case. See my stages here.

Since you want to return to the Camino I am assuming your tendinitis is due to overuse/overload. So with a bit of training before hitting the primitivo and drinking lots of water, Primitivo would be easier than you think. Take a look at this primitivo guide prepared by Liz.

I walked the Primitivo a year ago just after having recouperated from Plantar Fasciitis, à souvenir from the Norte... I walked short stages: Oviedo to Esclampero on The 1st day, to San Juan on day 2, rarely over 25, à couple of Times under 20km. Feet never said a peep. I did ice them nightly as well.

Hi,

The fact that you have walked the CF will stand to you. I am sure you can complete the Northern Camino :). The first time I walked a week on the Camino Frances I suffered very badly from tendonotis. It's a common occurance. Before I returned the following year I visited a Physio in advance, which I presume you have done. If not I really recommend you do because it will help you avoid injuries.

Essentially you need to improve the flexibility in the calf muscles through repeating specific stretches each day. Doing some squats using weights in the gym in conjunction and working on your gluts will also improve your walking technique. If you do this I assure you, that you will feel alot stronger.

While I agree the first 5 days on the Northern Camino are tough going in parts, after that I don't think it is any more difficult than the French Camino as far as Villavoicsa. That is as far as I have reached.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What about the surface of the path?

Is it mostly dirt or pavement?

In case you are asking about pavement because of the impact it has on your joints, you should know about Galicia. One thing about the Primitivo is that as soon as you enter Galicia, the trail becomes an almost continuous path of hard crushed gravel, called hormigón in Spanish. This seems to be the Galician government's surface of choice, because I walked the Norte this past summer and it was that way too at the end. This is a hard surface, not as hard as concrete or asphalt, obviously, but the fact that it's level means that you are much more likely to get a repetitive stress injury (tendonitis most usually, but I once got tarsal tunnel) than if you were walking on uneven earthen paths. Not to derail the thread, but Spanish associations have filed formal legal complaints about this practice (apparently there are ways that are much more environmentally and aesthetically appropriate), but it's not clear to me what can be done after the fact other than punitively. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back