• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Physical maps of route

mprat

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
I am starting the Camino del Norte from Irún in the beginning of August and don't want to rely on my smartphone for maps / GPS - I'd rather rely on physical maps. Is there a place in Iŕun to buy physical maps of the Camino del Norte?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How detailed are you hoping for with the maps. If just simple 'guides' then the Gronze site has these and also profiles. If you want 'proper' maps then depending on where you live it might be possible to purchase them before leaving home. We have a UK address for suppliers of Spanish Mapas Militar, equivelent to our Ordinance Survey maps. We bought ours and then copied the relevent sections so as not to have to carry several map full sheets.

Tha Map Shop, Upton-on-Severn. If you want to respond to this post we can check our maps and try tell you which ones you might need.

If you have access to a decent sized printer then you can download and print 1:50000 maps from the IGN website. I have an A0 printer at work and that is what I do.

I've made myself a series of A3 maps for the Camino del Salvador next month that way with the more remote sections through the mountains at 1:25000 on A2 sheets. Took a couple of hours work but I've got a custom set rather than carrying big chunks that are irrelevant.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have started the Camino today and am in Irún - I talked to a hospitaliero here and he said that I don´t need any physical maps and to just follow the signs. I know that in principle, but when I get to San Sebastian I´ll try to find a bookstore that sells the commercial maps of Spain, perhaps.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

StuartM said:
If you have access to a decent sized printer then you can download and print 1:50000 maps from the IGN website. I have an A0 printer at work and that is what I do.

I've made myself a series of A3 maps for the Camino del Salvador next month that way with the more remote sections through the mountains at 1:25000 on A2 sheets. Took a couple of hours work but I've got a custom set rather than carrying big chunks that are irrelevant.

I have the little gronze maps, but would be interested to hear your verdict about whether your ones were useful on your return. If they are, could I purchase a copy from you? I don't have an A0 printer;-)
I have purchased maps 1:50,000 for the Baztan from The Map Shop and they arrived in NZ in under a week. Excellent service. One of the maps is quite good (although nowhere near as clear as the Rando French one), the other is on beige cardboard and is both heavy and difficult to read, so you might like to ask which sort they would send you.

Hi there,
I am in San Sebastian and start cycling the camino tomorrow! If you see me please day hi - hopefully I won't be lost!!
I went to local bookstore and got a great boom in Spanish ( I speak just a little). Couldn't find any other detailed maps - at least the book has some directions.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi MattO
We will be walking from Ribadeo on Monday and we ask our local Libraries to order the new book out on the Northern route and photo coped the sections we wanted
You never know we might see you .
God Bless
Doug

I have the little gronze maps, but would be interested to hear your verdict about whether your ones were useful on your return. If they are, could I purchase a copy from you? I don't have an A0 printer;-)

Obviously copying the maps would be breaching copyright... ahem... I shall be PM'ing you to tell you off :)

Obviously copying the maps would be breaching copyright... ahem... I shall be PM'ing you to tell you off :)
This reminds me of a woman I met walking St Olav's Way who was ever so sanctimonious about a whole variety of moral issues while she walked with a copy of Alison Raju's guidebook photocopied at her local library.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You rascal....but seriously....if the maps are available online does that not mean you are allowed to print them? I have printed bits of googlemaps and NEVER considered that it was breaching copyright. Now off to check my PMs;-)

PS I do hope I never come across as sanctimonious (though I do often see things in a very black-n-white way)

As I understand the rules:-
If you own the book/map then you are allowed to copy a small section for personal use.
If the map is online then usually there is a print button, as on Google maps, or a notice about copyright.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The starting point from Ferrol given by Johnny Walker on his widely read guide with map he extracted for the Camino Ingles has changed because of the closure of a street. This route has been amended on the official Plano Ferrol issued by the Information Office of Ferrol. I had thought of scanning the section of the amended route and posting it on this forum to inform future pilgrims who wants a map, will this be in breach of copyright as the maps are given freely?

This reminds me of a woman I met walking St Olav's Way who was ever so sanctimonious about a whole variety of moral issues while she walked with a copy of Alison Raju's guidebook photocopied at her local library.

:D

I hope it didn't sound like I was being serious (or even worse, sanctimonious!), quite the opposite :) Humour doesn't always translate to the written word that great. I was joking :)

I think it's great the IGN are so liberal with their mapping by publishing it this way, it's a brilliant resource as is the Sigpac website. I wish the OS in the UK would do the same. I'm told they even have software that analyses maps and drawings to see if they have even traced over one of their maps never mind re-printed it.

:D

I hope it didn't sound like I was being serious (or even worse, sanctimonious!), quite the opposite :) Humour doesn't always translate to the written word that great. I was joking :)
I realized you were being light-hearted.
On the matter of what is fair use when photocopying, Tia V's answer is similar to the arrangements here in Australia. Here fair use also covers copying from library books, and somewhere around 10% is generally allowed. That may not always be policed, so people might exceed that in some places.

Regards

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.