A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Pianos in Albergue (HELP)

Inaoz

Camino(s) past & future
This Summer june/August 2018
Hello all,
I am going to be walking the French way this June - August and I am very excited!
I am a pianist and was wondering if there's any pianos in albergues or hostel for people to play that you know of?

Not being able to touch the keys for two and a half months kind of worries me a little and I would like to take advantage of it if there any public pianos, music school, churches along the route?

Thank you a lot!

Ina

Advertisment

mspath

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Inaoz,
Welcome to the forum!
For churches with possible pianos see this map for masses on the caminos.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Bajaracer

Camino Frances 2013 Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013) Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
Casa Barbadelo just outside of Sarria has a piano. The most luxurious albergue, feels like a hotel but with bunk beds.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2012), Frances(2017), Frances (June 2018)
Hi Inaoz, I had a wonderful night around the piano a few years ago. It was at the Alb. S. Juan Bautista in Granon. A very humble allergue but one of my most treasured. There was a photograph of the communal room on this site a few weeks ago and the piano on display in the background. I have no idea if it will be in tune when you are there. I will be in Granon sometime in early July and hopefully I will hear you play.

Advertisment

Bruce777

Camino(s) past & future
French way 2017
Hi Inaoz , There is a piano in Boadilla Del Camino at Albergue El Encina , If you can get a tune out of it as it is about 200 years old ,worth a try . I did and failed , good luck. Buen Camino.

Hello @ Inaoz, if you feel like a taste of dementia, there's a fabulous piano in an old convent near Zumaia (Camino del Norte). In 2011 every note below middle C was a 3/4 tone flatter than every note to the right. Bach inventions and fugues morphed into Charles Ives without the mental effort of transposing...

I also know where the most decrepit piano in France is, too. But you'll have to walk all the from Norway to the Midi-Pyrenees to appreciate it...

twang, twango
have fun on your camino!

Susu60

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, La via plata, Aragon,
Hello all,
I am going to be walking the French way this June - August and I am very excited!
I am a pianist and was wondering if there's any pianos in albergues or hostel for people to play that you know of?

Not being able to touch the keys for two and a half months kind of worries me a little and I would like to take advantage of it if there any public pianos, music school, churches along the route?

Thank you a lot!

Ina
Tardajos, just past Burgos, has an out of tune piano, but it is a great albergue and lots of music!

Camino(s) past & future
June (2015) & June/July (2018)
Hello all,

Thank you a lot!

Ina
I'm walking June-July. If we bump into each other, maybe you can play and I can sing a song or two. I do plan on packing a harmonica and either my Irish flute or whistle. I'd pack my trombone but that'd just look silly.

Hola, Inoaz

PS... and if you're desperate to play on a Steinway Grand you'll need to start your camino in Poland! There's an exquisite grand piano at Szafarnia near Torun, directly on the Camino Polaco. Szafarnia hosts peregrinos overnight. In fact, at Szafarnia there's also a well tuned upright in the elegant room set aside peregrinos... You can play all night, there's hardly any other pilgrims!... Szafarnia is where F. Chopin spent a couple of summers during his youth. Here's a glimpse of Szafarnia + it's piano!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Granon, in the albergue in the medieval church bell tower. If you play the piano, it will be party time there. Most evenings, it is :)

Camino(s) past & future
Planing to walk el Camino del norte in 2015
Alb. Essentia in Redecilla del Camino, just after Granon has a great piano and friendly host who’s happy for music sessions to take place. I got the details of this albergue from a blog on favorite albergues in this forum.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Portugues 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Hello all,

Thank you a lot!

Ina
Just out of curiosity - where are you actually starting your Camino? And btw the piano in Granon is so out of tune, you wouldn't believe it. BUT if you can play the organ, I can, most likely, arrange something for you here in Santiago ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Inaoz

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Syates,
Thank you for the reply.
I will be staring my camino in St.James. Unfortunately, I can't really play organ.
I am also interested in giving out a mini recital at a church or cathedral. Do you think it's a wild idea?
Many thanks,

Ina

Inaoz

Camino(s) past & future
Alb. Essentia in Redecilla del Camino, just after Granon has a great piano and friendly host who’s happy for music sessions to take place. I got the details of this albergue from a blog on favorite albergues in this forum.
Thank you so much,
Do you think they are interested in hosting a mini piano recital also? it would be great if I get to play!

Thank you!
Ina

Inaoz

Camino(s) past & future
Hola, Inoaz

PS... and if you're desperate to play on a Steinway Grand you'll need to start your camino in Poland! There's an exquisite grand piano at Szafarnia near Torun, directly on the Camino Polaco. Szafarnia hosts peregrinos overnight. In fact, at Szafarnia there's also a well tuned upright in the elegant room set aside peregrinos... You can play all night, there's hardly any other pilgrims!... Szafarnia is where F. Chopin spent a couple of summers during his youth. Here's a glimpse of Szafarnia + it's piano!

OMG this is great! I wish I knew this earlier. I will start my camino in St. James. but I will keep this in mind. I will save it for later! thank you again.
ina

Inaoz

Camino(s) past & future
I'm walking June-July. If we bump into each other, maybe you can play and I can sing a song or two. I do plan on packing a harmonica and either my Irish flute or whistle. I'd pack my trombone but that'd just look silly.
That would be great. I am thinking to bring my mini melodica (little keyboard with a blowing hose) in case I don't have any luck finding a piano. :)

Inaoz

Camino(s) past & future
Hello @ Inaoz, if you feel like a taste of dementia, there's a fabulous piano in an old convent near Zumaia (Camino del Norte). In 2011 every note below middle C was a 3/4 tone flatter than every note to the right. Bach inventions and fugues morphed into Charles Ives without the mental effort of transposing...

I also know where the most decrepit piano in France is, too. But you'll have to walk all the from Norway to the Midi-Pyrenees to appreciate it...

twang, twango
have fun on your camino!
Thank you so much for your info.

Inaoz

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Inaoz, I had a wonderful night around the piano a few years ago. It was at the Alb. S. Juan Bautista in Granon. A very humble allergue but one of my most treasured. There was a photograph of the communal room on this site a few weeks ago and the piano on display in the background. I have no idea if it will be in tune when you are there. I will be in Granon sometime in early July and hopefully I will hear you play.
Thank you! I hope to see you

simeon

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP LosArcos 09\14 Tricastella SDDC 0515 Porto SDDC 1015 LosArcos Burgos 1016 Burgos Leon 0917
Could you not carry your piano. Would probably be lighter than some bags coming out of sjpdp

Camino(s) past & future
Planing to walk el Camino del norte in 2015
Thank you so much,
Do you think they are interested in hosting a mini piano recital also? it would be great if I get to play!

Thank you!
Ina
Hi ina, the host was happy for guests to play the piano when I was there a couple of weeks ago. It’s quite relaxed, rather than a piano recital which sounds more formal. If you check out the albergues Facebook page there are several videos of guests playing the piano.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 78 16.1%
  • May

Votes: 131 27.1%
  • June