• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picaso's Guernika

A

Anemone del Camino

An interesting article about Picaso's famous Guernika painting.

Also learned the the Mercury Fountain at the Miro Foundation Museum is by Calder, and not Miro as I thought, and that, like Guernika, it was a comission for the 1937 Expo.

If you walk the Norte, don't miss the Museum of Peace where a replica of Guernika is shown. Want to see the real thing? Head to the Reina Sofia from where, in order to protect it, it will never leave.

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-guernica-picassos-influential-painting

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I believe there is currently a whole special Picaso exhibition on at the Reina Sofia at the moment? I might be wrong.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Guernica, there is a large outdoor replica of the painting in a park near the city centre-- worth a look, even
if it's not the original--- which if you can see at the Reina Sofia, is well worth the effort.

Also learned the the Mercury Fountain at the Miro Foundation Museum is by Calder, and not Miro as I thought, and that, like Guernika, it was a comission for the 1937 Expo.

If you walk the Norte, don't miss the Museum of Peace where a replica of Guernika is shown. Want to see the real thing? Head to the Reina Sofia from where, in order to protect it, it will never leave.

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-guernica-picassos-influential-painting

I think that the Mercury Fountain may be my favourite work of art. May.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that the Mercury Fountain may be my favourite work of art. May.
It's mesmerizing. I saw it in 1999, and I don't recall it being behind glass as it apparently now ease. The texture of mercury just makes me want to reach out and touch it.

In Woody Allen's 'Midnight In Paris' (not a great movie but I love it), Owen Wilson who is the Woody stand-in meets Hemingway and Hemingway introduces him (using very short sentences, of course) to Picasso saying something like: " ...this is Pablo. He's a painter. He's very good. He's no Miro, but he's very good." I loved The Miro Foundation. Miro's work is unique and childlike, so intelligent, elegant. What is it about those Catalonians? I agree with Woody's Hemingway on that one - his Picasso in that movie is a nervous little guy with a horrible comb-over. I don't think Allen likes Picasso so much.

But The Guernica. Wow! I saw it in New York in 1962. My art school piled onto a bus from Montreal to see all the art we could cram into 2 days. I saw The Guernica then and again last year in Madrid. It's one of humanity's incandescent cultural triumphs IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's mesmerizing. I saw it in 1999, and I don't recall it being behind glass as it apparently now ease. The texture of mercury just makes me want to reach out and touch it.
It's all glassed in (when we were there in 2012) I suppose because mercury is so poisonous. That fountain would fascinate children, I expect. A pity it's so confined in such limited space. I saw it through a window from an upper floor, don't know if it's viewable from a lower level, forgot to check that out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
But The Guernica. Wow! I saw it in New York in 1962. My art school piled onto a bus from Montreal to see all the art we could cram into 2 days. I saw The Guernica then and again last year in Madrid. It's one of humanity's incandescent cultural triumphs IMO.
There was a Picaso exhibit in Montreal some 25-30 years ago, when I was in uni, or just before, and one of the works shown was from the blue period and called something the lines of "Woman ironing". I have serached for images of it ever since and have never been able to find one. It is that painting who taught me that visiting museums, galleries, etc. can be like a treasure hunt for pieces that speak to your heart. There is a Goya on the main floor of the Prado where all I wanted to do was sit in front it (post Camimo legs in pain) and take it all in. Magical moments.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There was a Picaso exhibit in Montreal some 25-30 years ago, when I was in uni, or just before, and one of the works shown was from the blue period and called something the lines of "Woman ironing". I have serached for images of it ever since and have never been able to find one. It is that painting who taught me that visiting museums, galleries, etc. can be like a treasure hunt for pieces that speak to your heart. There is a Goya on the main floor of the Prado where all I wanted to do was sit in front it (post Camimo legs in pain) and take it all in. Magical moments.
For hundreds of years, I suppose the only pictures people saw were stained glass windows and paintings. The windows must have been electrifying.

Goya is one of my heroes. In today's world he would be a heroic war photographer/documentary maker/activist-artist like Ai Weiwei. He would invent some enormous, magical category that only a giant could live in, as he did in his own day. Sui generis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is currently a whole special Picaso exhibition on at the Reina Sofia at the moment? I might be wrong.
Yes there was when I was in Madrid in June. Called something like Picasso's road to Guernica. It was very interesting.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back